[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Disc brake conversion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4356.png (400KB, 500x558px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4356.png
400KB, 500x558px
Complete retard here, I have a kind of obscure car that doesn't get any aftermarket support, and I want to upgrade it to disc brakes. Its a 60s land yacht, so I figure some modern truck brakes would be the way to go. Can I do that? Or am I oversimplifiying it and should just stay away from this idea?
>>
Yes but since you're a complete tard, the research required to pull it off might be challenging for you
>>
>>17456206
>60s land yacht
There's probably a later version of the chassis that has disc brakes available. What is it?
>>
>>17456245
66 Chrysler imperial
>>
File: imperialframe.jpg (86KB, 900x621px) Image search: [Google]
imperialframe.jpg
86KB, 900x621px
>>17456494
>The D Platform had no major chassis components in common with any other Chrysler product
Madness. Absolute madness.
>>
>>17456494
Swap the rear axle for something that can use disc brakes?
>>
well you better learn how to weld
>>
>>17456494
Such exquisite suffering it must be, having a car like that and then having all that shit with the parts. Gotta drive you mad.
>>
>>17457885
>>17457342
I'm kind of new to cars, this is my first project. Did I fuck up?
>>
>>17458485
If you want modern amenities on a ancient car, it helps to know whether or not your car has large aftermarket or not.

As an earlier anon stated see if there's known axle swap projects that have been attempted on your car.
>>
>>17458485
You bought a car that has absolutely zero interchangeability between other cars of the same make. While that isn't a total disaster, it means upgrades such as what you want to do, won't ever have a simple solution unless they came with that specific line of cars. And since Imperial was an ultra high trim, I doubt there will be many options that aren't already on yours
>>
>>17458485
It's a beautiful car, so you didn't fuck up on taste, anon. But having a car with no aftermarket and interchangeability of parts? This is an opportunity to learn some fabricating skills.
>>
>>17458485
>first project
>Did I fuck up?
yeah big time
>>
>>17456206

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/ssb-w155bk/applications/year/1966/make/chrysler/model/imperial/submodel/base?prefilter=1

They do exist
>>
>>17456206
Another alternative is getting the rotors drilled to match your bolt pattern. But you won't be able to just walk in the pepboys to get a replacement.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.