[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

backwards rotating engine?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: yes.png (8KB, 574x322px) Image search: [Google]
yes.png
8KB, 574x322px
So, what would happen if you put the car in reverse, then accelerate to lets say 40km/h, then put it in 1st gear and engage the clutch? Would the engine rotate backwards or is there something to prevent it? And if it does, what effect does it have on your engine?
>>
>>17455544
There's a Top Gear episode where they test this exactly, with both manual and automatic transmissions. I think the auto wouldn't shift, and the manual wouldn't go into gear.
>>
>>17455544
You're suddenly forcing the engine to change rotation. Expect serious rod knock seeing as you don't have the safeguard that autos have.
>>
Reverse gear doesn't change the direction the engine spins.

What you would do is blow up your transmission
>>
>>17455563
>You're suddenly forcing the engine to change rotation.
Are you retarded?
>>
>>17455561
Which episode? Th
>>
>>17455578
He's. Not. In case i was not clear, i askes what happens if you drive backwards and then in 1st gear. So the engine is forced to rotate backwards. Or it will win.
>>
>>17455583
I was wrong, it's Mythbusters. Don't have link handy, but should be easy to find with a search for "Stopping in Reverse"

>>17455595
Do you understand what a transmission is? The engine doesn't change rotation.
>>
This happens a lot with older 2 stroke macks and other diesels.

https://youtu.be/eH1A0MlENEI

Smoke comes out the intakes
>>
>>17455607
alright thanks. it seemed odd to me since i have watched most of the episodes..

also, i do understand transmission. If you put in in 1st gear and engage clutch, the motor turns forwards and so will the wheels do. If you drive backwards, and you put it in 1st, the wheels will forwards(so change direction) of the engine will turn backwards. Or something unexpected happens. The question is what will happen exactly?

and in case it does rotate backwards, what damage does it do to your engine?
>>
>>17455628
If a gasoline engine can't rotate it will stall, just like if you shift wrong. Then nothing. You can find out exactly if you want without destroying your transmission if you want by trying to do a hill start in second gear. The car will stall once the clutch engages then the car will start rolling backwards slowly, turning the stalled engine backwards.
>>
Are you all retarded?
>It'll rotate backwards
No, it won't. The GEAR is reversed in direction in relation to the forward gears. You'd fuck up your transmission

If reverse made the engine rotate backwards, how could you shift into reverse from idle?
>>
>>17457770
Why is it so hard to understand that a given force the output of the trans will act like an input?
>>
>>17455595
If the engine rotates backwards does the engine make fossiled fuels
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.