[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are NA FCs boring to drive? Or hell, are FCs boring in general?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

File: 1403516444113.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1403516444113.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
Are NA FCs boring to drive? Or hell, are FCs boring in general? I've been contemplating an FC vs a Miata or MR2 as a weekend car, but I don't know if I want something so heavy.
>>
>>17453816
Weekend drive a classic car. Get your self a tercel
>>
File: IMG_6748.jpg (932KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6748.jpg
932KB, 3264x2448px
>>17453816
The answer is clear.
>>
Yes it's still fun
>>
>>17453816
>Apex Seals
>Snap Oversteer
>Gay

Miata desu
>>
>>17453816
there's nothing wrong with FCs, they feel very responsive.
>>
File: leftfront.jpg (469KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
leftfront.jpg
469KB, 1280x960px
>>17453816
I've owned both, so I'll give you my impressions. I owned a 1990 NA FC3S RX-7 GTU (so, no turbo, power everything, adjustable suspension, "Series 5" model) and a 1997 M-edition Miata with the Nardi Torino package.

The difference in power isn't all that much, honestly. The FC is a GT car whereas the Miata is a roadster, of course, so the FC will feel heavier and less nimble. That being said, cars are so much larger and heavier now that yesterday's GT feels far more agile and nimble than, for example, an FRS/GT-86 (in my opinion, anyway). The difference in perception is huge, though - people expect an FC to be fairly powerful, so when some kid in a WRX/Evo/300ZX/whatever invariably wants to race in-between stoplights, you'll almost always lose.

Honestly, my advice to you is to do some soul searching as to what you really want from your weekend car. Are you the type of guy who loves to wrench, loves owning and working on something unique just for the sake of doing it, and who's comfortable with never *really* trusting your weekend car to go on a long road trip? Will you trade those things for an enthusiast scene that's more focused on big[ger] power and style? If so, the FC is a wonderful option. In my case, I ultimately transitioned to a state of mind where wrenching on the FC was a nuisance, and I wanted to be able to drop everything and go for a fun drive at a moment's notice anytime. That's when I bought the Miata, and I didn't regret it for a moment.
>>
>>17453903
>>17453930
>>17453983
mixed signals here guys

>>17453891
desu

>>17454162
I hadn't thought of that with older cars feeling more agile anyway. I keep looking at FC stats and I can't imagine it being impressive at all, but I guess that's not the full story...

Honestly having something unique would make me really happy, but after a few lighter cars and not having to deal with rotary reliability I might just go for a Miata. (Unless someone barges in with their MR2 stories.)
>>
>>17454162
>>17454543
As an 1991 FC Vert (Also no turbo) owner, I can attest. People expect FCs to be power houses, and if you get a turbo, they very much are. When done right, that is.
But what they lack of in power, they make up for in nimbleness. While maybe not as nimble as a fully decked out Miata, a stock FC can still keep up with the likes of turbo WRXs in backroads if driver skill is similar. Just don't expect to out perform anyone in an uphill without a turbo, as the NA is shit for acceleration at an incline.
But to back up the claim, I went to an /o/ meet a few months back before my transmission blew up, and I was 2nd car in line, right behind the leader in his WRX. I was keeping up with him the whole damn road, while the rest of the group inevitably fell back a ways. Note, I was doing this on stock wheels with shitty all season tires. It's all about keeping your momentum up around the corners without taking them too fast to understeer.
Also, REBUILD THE TRANNY IF YOU GET ONE, NO MATTER HOW NICE IT SEEMS!
Mine seemed to work flawlessly till I did a fluid change, saw a piece of metal on the plug, 3 days later, I pull into work and the thing just won't shift into any gear other than 5th or reverse. But it won't move even despite that, pretty sure multiple gears are locked. Other than this problem though, it's by far been the most reliable vehicle I've owned and most the memes are just that, memes.
>>
>>17453816
>buy miata
>13b swap
>>
>>17454543
fc is great, budget for at least a minimal rebuild or you'll hate yourself when it goes. the motor is old and beyond the point of it needs a rebuild. it's a case of it will take a shit, the when is up to luck. are you good at russian roulette?
when you do a rebuild port it, obviously turbo is easier to get power, but a nice port on an na will make it pretty quick once you get up in the revs. the miata just felt anemic all over the place, even vs a stock na rotary to me. and compared to various other old car's i've driven. the mr2 aw11 is nice, but so many have rusted rear wheel wells which is kindof structural for keeping the car together. but a silvertop 4age is cheap for a good bit of power gain too and can take a turbo pretty easily. if you port/power mod an fc and set it up safely for a stock ecu, your gas mileage will be complete shit, with a standalone you'll have to put in lots of time to get cruising timing and afr's into a safe area for good mpg's and not blowing up getting on it hard or when you let off the throttle after revving to the moon. and if you need major parts they cost a small fortune new, but you don't need to buy internals for power. max mileage is also much less than a pisston engine with both being cared for correctly. it is very simple to do a rebuild though. motor apart and back together in 1.5hrs my first time. the sounds and feelings of a nice rotary, nothing can compare to it. and i love the way the car handles, my prefered car out of everything i've hooned (haven't hooned an fd, but from who i've talked to i'll love it more than my fc)
>>17454729
like he says if it's na rebuild the trans, or buy a turbo trans, flywheel, and either swap to a turbo diff/ driveshaft or custom driveshaft, na trans will kill the gears as the bearing wear and the gears will unmesh under acceleration, probably happens with the turbo trans but they still hold stupid power even with crazy mileage and wear, and na holds decently with good bearings
>>
>>17454745
source me, 2 turbo fc's
lots of contact with rotary owners, friend had a friend that worked for a race team as the rotary tech, i've had a few long chats with him and gained lots of knowledge and verified if some of my theories were correct.
stock ecu, 70psi of fuel presure at 10psi of boost, stock injectors, and a hybrid turbo (bnr stage 3 i think), large streetport (made a stencil because i was short on time so it's on the small side for a large port) and a walbro 465
timing is turned down (i think more beccause the fcd fucks with throttle tables) so under 1.5k rpm the car barely moves, over 2k is fine, after 3k rpm it wakes up. shitty s4 manifold and i ported the wastegate but still haven't welded a bigger flapper so boost lag like hell. from a dig i still run down everything i've been challenged by in 2nd and passing, faster cars i don't pass till i'm in 3rd. i'm wanting a longer diff, my first fc would do 90 in 2nd. stock tmic with water injection whenever i install it. no knocking, 90% of people underestimate how fast it is. 4.10 rear end and i want to get a 3.7. if parts are hard for you to find i'd get something else if you are short on cash, otherwise it'll just be a headache. if you know what you're doing you can put it together for cheap, but only if you do it right, and perfectly. if you halfass something the motor will go, and you'll be like every other person that hates rotaries. if you do it right you'll be in love
>>
>>17454745
>it is very simple to do a rebuild though. motor apart and back together in 1.5hrs my first time.
Damn, seriously? Definitely more interested. Though I'm probably not mechanically experienced enough to rebuild the trans if it's harder than that... I've only gone as far as changing the oil on my WRX.

Thanks though guys, I guess I'll just have to drive one myself and find out. (Though it sounds like I should probably save for a turbo FC3S so I get the trans...)
>>
File: IMG_6748.jpg (885KB, 2867x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6748.jpg
885KB, 2867x2448px
>>17453903
Here, I don't know why but I wanted to see what a Polaroid filter would look like, and I think it made it look more like 90's JDM
>>
>>17455772
Where can i put this filter on my pictures
>>
>>17455776
I just play with the settings on my phone

If you got anything else I can try it for you, I do color edit on my Nexus 6p and everything else on paint.net
>>
Enjoy getting more usage out of the starter motor than the actual motor.
>>
>>17455760
trurbo trans and bit's can be had cheap, that was my first time rebuilding a motor. i read a good bit and watched videos. so much easier than everyone will say. majority of people told me it's horrible, there are a fel "springs" and they are a bit annoying because all the oil when assembling. just don't vaseline the oil control or water seal o-rings. if you have to open the motor because you forgot something they'll be ruined because the vaseline
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.