[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Red pill me on how hard it is to be a truck driver /o/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: IMG_5674.jpg (140KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5674.jpg
140KB, 1280x720px
My father and I are having an argument he says that when you are a truck driver for say: Walmart why not your day goes like this: load the truck drive it to the destination without using gps or anything besides a fucking map then unload the load at new destination then drive back to where you came from again not using gps but just a fucking map

I think he's full of shit because he did trucking back in the fucking 80's it's gotten a lot more to just they pay you to drive and the company loads/unloads it right?
>>
theres a whole discussion thread on trucking. look for the truckerfag general in the catalog newfag
>>
File: lol.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>17444434
Take all the shit you go through driving your car through traffic and now imagine you are driving 70ft of truck and trailer. Also, in older parts of cities and town you will experience shit like pic related all the fucking time.
>>
>>17444434
Walmart is hard to get on and they dont pay very well anymore.

It depends on the company you are driving for, the company you are hauling for and what you are hauling. Its not all just pickup and drop off. Also you dont even know about the whole "I arrived 5 minutes late to my appointment and they made me wait 6 hours to be unloaded and then it took them 6 hours to unload to pallets off my trailer" stuff. Thats the real fun part about trucking.
>>
Trucking is gay

T. 22 yo trucker
>>
>>17444434
You get truck specific GPS units. Normally the truck driver won't do the loading or unloading if he is working for a company like Walmart. Basically you sit in a climate controlled cab, listening to your music and doing very little else. If you are just smart enough to not go into the army trucking is the next step up the ladder for the under educated.
>>
>>17444772
Amazon will literally put you in a cage while they unload your truck.
Most people will expect reefer/dry van drivers to help unload, AND pay the helpers. Oh, and tip them too.
Megacompanies are the only ones who hire new drivers, and will work you pretty much to death for pretty much no money, and refuse to let you go home. If you get your license through them and quit before the end of your 2-3 year indentured labour contract, they charge you for your license.
>>
I think trucking/transportation will be obsolete in a few years. Autonomous cars are growing fast, and I believe trucking/transportation companies are going to be quick to adopt the technology as soon as it's available. The perfect driver is one that works for free and never gets into an accident.
>>
>>17444984

Not true.

t.megacompany lease driver

Our company will pay your training and you only have to stay for a year. Our company drivers average 900-1200 a week and I pull in about 4000 or 5000 a week and usually keep half. In 3 years I will own the truck outright with no truck payment.

Almost all megacompanies are shit and especially Celadon or US Express and any of their subsidaries. The irony is those low paying companies have shit training programs too.

Read the truckerfag thread, go to CDL school like Roadmaster or community college, our megacompany will reimburse you 50% of your tuition and the rest is a tax writeoff.
>>
>>17445039

doubtful

When those autonomous trucks can back into a busy loading dock in the Bronx at 5am with yard dogs swarming all over the place and do it without hitting anyone or damaging equipment I'll be worried then.

Until then, we aren't going anywhere. Likely we will have driver assist and even then it will only work in perfect sanitized situations and will throw its hands into the air at the 40/35 interchange in Oklahoma City
>>
File: 1485384345724.jpg (109KB, 1050x654px) Image search: [Google]
1485384345724.jpg
109KB, 1050x654px
Tfw can't 420blazeit on long roads as trucker, why live
>>
>>17445059
elon musk will still make autonomous trucks that drive in straight lines and sell them, they'll just crash and fuck shit up
>>
>>17445039
Correct.

>>17445059
give it 10-20 years

It will be more profitable for companies to adapt to automatization than keeping human drivers.
trucks will use sensors all around, trucks have massive blindspots if anything can reverse safely it will be an automatized truck programmed to reverse into a dock designed for it.

we're still a couple decades away from it maybe more tho, but it's happening.
>>
>>17444434
Are you Mexican? Only Mexicans are truck drivers in California. I guess white people didn't want those jobs either.
>>
>>17445059
It's just a matter of time, and technology has a tendency to come sooner than we anticipate.
>>
>>17445048
Yeah, but you're not Swift. And don't you LEASE your truck?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.