[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car Problems, Need some Help!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_6989.jpg (20KB, 220x126px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6989.jpg
20KB, 220x126px
So I've never used this part of 4chan before but I figured it was better than any other random forum site I could use.

I own a 2006 Honda Accord, 4-Cylinder. Anyway, my car has been having problems starting the past couple months. Sometimes it starts up without a problem, other times it'll be sluggish, and other times it would crank a little and fail to start for a good ten minutes.

It finally shit out on me a couple nights ago, where after a drive to get some groceries I come out to the parking lot to find it wouldn't even attempt to turnover at all. I called a friend over to help me jump the battery as I suspected that was the problem. Didn't work. So I get it towed to a shop and the next day they tell me that the starter was messed up and needed to be replaced. I pay the overpriced fee for it and get the car back today.

The car started faster than it has in a long time, but on the way back to my house I notice the battery light come on. My owners manual tells me that this means the battery is not getting charged with the engine on.

After reading this, I turn around and drive back to the shop. About halfway there all the electronics in my car fail, the radio turns off and all the gauges that measure speed and engine temperature and whatnot go down to 0. At this point I pull over and try restarting my car, only to find myself with the same problem I had before it got towed the other night.

From what little knowledge I have on cars this must mean that my alternator is malfunctioning now too. I'm only worried that this was the problem to begin with and I wasted money on a false diagnosis that the shop gave me.

I got it towed back to the shop and have to wait until the morning to find out what was wrong, I only hope that those morons aren't going to possibly screw me over on more expensive repairs.

Anyone know what could be the problem here???
>>
Some more info:

I bought it used about 3 years ago with 136,000 miles. It's now at about 205,000. I've been working on and off as a delivery driver, about 20 or so hours a week at most for the past year, so the car has been put to some use and I was constantly turning it off and starting it again.

I replaced the battery not too long after I bought the car, around 3 years ago.

The car runs fine otherwise. I punctured the condenser a couple months ago and my A/C has not been working since. Also none of the power windows are operational except for the driver side window. I doubt any of these problems have anything to do with what's currently going on with it though.
>>
First problem sounds like a bad starter. Second problem sounds like a bad alternator. First problem could possibly have been a symptom of the second problem.

They should have checked if your battery was holding a charge and if the alternator was charging your battery the first time you took it to the shop though.
>>
>>17443718
Also, if it isn't your alternator, I'm not sure what it could be. Best of luck to you
>>
>>17443718
From what I've been reading it could possible be a loose or corroded cable from the starter to the battery or the alternator to the battery. The only thing I'm confused about is that the battery had no signs of failure and the alternator was doing its job just fine before I brought it into this shop.

I'm guessing they must not have connected some cables correctly. Any thoughts?
>>
Bumpppp
>>
A coworker has the same car and has had similar issues to this but also had problems with the car turn off completely whilst on the move. The two problems are the starter motor and the ignition switch relay.

Good luck!
>>
>>17443686
You can use a multimeter to check the voltage coming from the alternator. It should be charging at 13-14 volts, any lower and your alternator is the problem. Best to get the problem fixed soon, as the dead alternator could kill your battery too if you let it run completely dry.
>>
File: Tach.webm (883KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
Tach.webm
883KB, 720x405px
>>17443686
Sounds very much like an alternator issue.

My 1990 Accord faced similar problems and it wasn't until the alternator was replaced that everything started to work fine again.

The only problem with that was I replaced the alternator myself and a month after replacing it, this happened.

I got the alternator professionally replaced and everything was running perfect until I traded the car in.
>>
SO APPARENTLY, after getting a call back from the mechanic, the battery had a bad cell and needs to be replaced. I'm certainly confused as to why this problem only came up after they replaced the starter and I shat out money for them, could a bad starter also possibly drain the battery? Any opinions on this one?
>>
>>17444335
They didn't check the battery or alternator when they replaced the starter.

The battery is probably old and while it does need replacing, the main issue is still the alternator. They will probably test it and find nothing wrong, but you're still going to have issues after getting a new battery.
>>
>>17445283
I was with the mechanic when he was testing my alternator on my CB7; he wasn't paying attention to the tester, but I could tell the voltage was declining yet the mechanic didn't "see it" because I was only paying him to test the alternator, not replace it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.