[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

From the UK I passed recently so planning to get a first car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: 00-14-19-Noplate3.jpg (221KB, 1023x764px) Image search: [Google]
00-14-19-Noplate3.jpg
221KB, 1023x764px
From the UK I passed recently so planning to get a first car soon

Always loved the E39 and wanted one to work on as a project car

Seen a few sitting around £500 to £2/3k with mileage being the main difference

Would it be silly to purchase one straight away? My insurance quotes are only £2-2.5k a year with a 1 month license and no ncb

My main question is will it become a money pit? The car will only be used for social and work commute

Is there anything too look out for when purchasing?
>>
>>17426570
>I passed recently
my condolences
>>
>>17426580
kek
gotta admit I read that line more than a couple of times too
>>
File: IMG_20170308_144138.jpg (79KB, 588x898px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170308_144138.jpg
79KB, 588x898px
>>17426580
>>17426584
I feel so silly now, anons please
>>
>>17426570
>My main question is will it become a money pit?
A massive one. Especially when you buy a 3k beater. Even older beamers are expensive in parts and service. And you can bet on a lot of shit needing work on a 3k E39. They're not in the least a perfect project car. Get something simple first if you want to get your wrench on.

Also, for work commuting you really want a car that just runs without much hassle. Nothing worse than having to call you boss you won't be coming to work that day because your car wont start.
>>
A project car can quickly become a pain in the arse. You fix one thing, something else breaks. You buy a part from a breaker on ebay and it turns out it's the wrong part when it arrives. New parts can be hundreds of quid a pop. Some jobs should be left to professionals unless you really know what you are doing, and labour rates can easily see you spending more than £500 for a half day job if the part being fitted is expensive.

I have an E39 that I am fixing up but I am a professional earning reasonable money and I can afford to lose a few K without noticing it - just means I'll have to work an extra month to cover it before I retire. But what is the impact on your lifestyle going to be if something big goes pop on your E39 and you can't afford to fix it? You are then thousands down with no fancy E39, just the thought of all the other wicked stuff you could have spent the cash on. Also I think you are insane for thinking that
spending £2.5k a year on insurance is a good use of money.

You don't say how much you are earning but presumably not buckets since you ask whether it will become a money pit. Also presumably you are young since you've only just passed your test. Seriously, do yourself a favour and spend your money on something more sensible for your stage in life that will be in better condition and won't cost a fortune to fix. You've plenty of time left to have some ridiculous pimp mobile when you have more cash to waste.

If you are intent on ignoring the advice of your elders and betters, do yourself a favour and research properly. This is a great place to start: http://forum.bmw5.co.uk/

You will find extensive buyer's guides, loads of knowledge on what can go wrong and how to fix it, and people selling E39s in the forum. If you do buy from someone on there just watch how you go and be as careful as you would buying anywhere else.
>>
>>17426634
>Even older beamers are expensive in parts and service.
Not entirely sure about that. Aren't BMWs common as fuck in England?
If he's willing to do stuff himself it shouldn't be too bad compared to owning a BMW in Burgerland.
>>
>>17426634
Well work is only two miles away from me I live in a small town so there's always public transport I can rely on that if needed

Where would one these stop being a beater? The examples I saw in the price range were all around 90k on the clock with anything less than say around 50k costs went up to £6k which I could pay that but at that point I'd rather get a E90 330 or 335 that have 60-70k mileage

Parts wise I've had a mechanic friend pretty much go over it and source parts that he thinks would need replacing on purchase or in future he has a the 540 himself

As for a simple/better car to practice working on is there anything you might recommend?

I've had someone actually offer an eg9 to me for £1500 with the offer to help/pretty much build it with/for me. If I went for that I could only really see myself use it for the weekend

Sorry if my post is long anons just curious/excited
>>
>>17426570
>>17426764
>Also I think you are insane for thinking that spending £2.5k a year on insurance is a good use of money.
This
OP get a mondeo or something
>>
>>17426799
I think you should go fo something small and fun while you are young. I hate to say it but an mx5 is a wicked laugh. Small and nippy, bullet proof engine, simple mechanics, loads of them around, and you get to put the roof down for the couple of hours each year when it's not raining. Insurance probably still a little high for you though unless you get a gutless 1.6.
>>
Posting from laptop now should be easier to reply to anons

>>17426764
>You don't say how much you are earning
on 25k fixing computers for secondary schools

>presumably you are young since you've only just passed your test
I'm 22 only passed now because I had family stuff so my money went there on the house but I'm now pretty much free with everything paid off

>You've plenty of time left to have some ridiculous pimp mobile when you have more cash to waste
The only other ridiculous car I would want would be an R33(Someone is going to tell me off for that)

>do yourself a favour and research properly
I understand anon thanks for taking your time to respond. I'll add that to my bookmarks and make sure to do a proper reading soon

>>17426803
>>17426764
>>Also I think you are insane for thinking that spending £2.5k a year on insurance is a good use of money.
Well to be fair that was on the lowish end of quotes I was getting.

I tried the typical Golfs/A3 and got 3/4k a year on those

>>17426803
>OP get a mondeo or something
any specific model? I've seen a few MK V models for sale around 6/7k

>>17426784
>Aren't BMWs common as fuck in England?
Very common even in my town i still see around 2/3 e39s on daily. Though my town is mainly flooded with new ones

>>17426838
>mx5
Didn't actually ever see one until recently a guy in my street bought one and well it seems nippy like you say but it sounds so tinny/weird maybe it's just his setup
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.