[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on meme rear windshields. Like the ones on Priuses

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 8

File: 10-toyota-prius-rear.jpg (371KB, 2816x1696px) Image search: [Google]
10-toyota-prius-rear.jpg
371KB, 2816x1696px
Redpill me on meme rear windshields. Like the ones on Priuses and Civics.

To me they seem utterly ridiculous. They're slanted so much they're almost horizontal. On top of that, they're extra small. How the hell can a driver see much through them? Give me the visibility of a big straight rear windshield like in a Note or a Golf any day.

Or am I missing something here?
>>
>>17424234
The ones on the prius actually aren't bad. The spoiler is annoying at first but you stop noticing it after a while. Couldn't say anything for the civic
>>
>>17424234
>To me they seem utterly ridiculous
Have you ever tried driving a car with a small rear windshield? It's really not a problem if your side mirrors are adjusted right.
>>
>>17424281
The point is, why make them small (and extremely slanted) in the first place? Is there a good practical reason or is it all about superficial (((design)))?
>>
File: f3b37953f5.jpg (39KB, 496x468px) Image search: [Google]
f3b37953f5.jpg
39KB, 496x468px
>>17425640
aero
>>
>>17425658
Shhh, if he didn't already understand that the shapes of objects moving through a mass of air had a shape for a reason by now, he never will.

>gee why don't rockets have square shaped noses and airplanes have rear ends shaped like a barn? Hmm.
>things you should understand from grade school science
>moving air? How does that work? MAGIC!
>>
Aztek did it better.
>>
File: Nissan_Note_rear_20070521.jpg (596KB, 2099x1504px) Image search: [Google]
Nissan_Note_rear_20070521.jpg
596KB, 2099x1504px
>>17425658
>>17425690
Why does the shape of the back matter when the wind comes from the front and flies off the top?
>>
>>17425826
You have to be 18 to post here
>>
>>17425826
It literally shows you in the picture you replied to
>>
>>17425658
This, Priuses have one of the lowest Drag Coefficients of all cars.
>>
File: aero.png (14KB, 707x719px) Image search: [Google]
aero.png
14KB, 707x719px
>>17425842
>>17425852
>>17426108
Ok maybe I just don't understand, I didn't take physics past age 16. But explain to me why the shape of the back matters? Doesn't the wind just fly off the top? Why would it be any different for the 2 cars in my crude illustration? I don't get why the air would come back down.
>>
>>17426265
the gigantic gap at the rear where air is not flowing creates turbulence because it essentially works like a plunger, sucking air forwards with the car.
>>
File: air.png (26KB, 783x796px) Image search: [Google]
air.png
26KB, 783x796px
>>17426265
Simply put, the shape of the body causes there to be a pocket of station air behind the vehicle that is dragged along with the vehicle when it moves, hence drag. The weight of this air is effectively added to the weight of the vehicle. In order for the vehicle to move, it must not only move itself forward but also move the pocket of air trapped behind it. Changing the body shape to reduce the size of the stationary pocket of air reduces the amount of effective weight the vehicle must move.
>>
>>17426265
>>17426599
Also
> I don't get why the air would come back down.

The reason the air "moves" down is due to air pressure. Take a look at the front of your drawing. You have air not just from the very nose of the vehicle, but all heights up to the roof, hitting the front of the vehicle and behind forced up to the roof. All of that air combines into one high pressure stream just above the roof of the vehicle, relative to the rest of the air in the environment.

Air pressure exerts force outwards in every direction, so when there's a high pressure zone and a low pressure zone, the high pressure zone pushes the low pressure zone out of the way and presses itself into the former low pressure zone. The result is a zone of moderate pressure.

When the top of the vehicle slopes down after the roof, that introduces a low pressure zone just above the back half of the vehicle for the high pressure stream above the roof to expand into. It doesn't "move" downward so much as expand downward as the two different air pressures begin to equalize.
>>
>>17426556
>>17426599
>>17426641
Got it. Thank you. Very helpful explanations.
>>
File: aerodynamics_eng_fig23.jpg (83KB, 590x563px) Image search: [Google]
aerodynamics_eng_fig23.jpg
83KB, 590x563px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammback
>>
>>17425658
a 1995 volvo 850 has a drag coefficient of 0.29
>>
File: 911Cayman1.png (626KB, 805x523px) Image search: [Google]
911Cayman1.png
626KB, 805x523px
What about 911 and Gaymans? They've got that fastback rear and don't seem to have a huge drag area
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.