[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 317
Thread images: 61

File: 4joy0.jpg (545KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
4joy0.jpg
545KB, 1600x1200px
I didn't see a QTDDTOT thread, so I figured I'd make one to ask this question from someone with more wheel swap experience:

I have some Virgo wheels (pic related, although it's just a Google image picture) from my Volvo 240 that I'm about to part ways with and I've always liked the look of them, so I figured I would put them on my 2000 Volvo V70 before getting rid of the 240.

Bolt pattern is the same, wheel size is the same, but offset is different. The Virgos are 20mm while my current wheels (I believe) are 40mm. Should I expect to run into any issues?

I'm going to swap them this weekend, but I wanna have a rough idea beforehand to know if I'm just wasting my time.
>>
Assuming you mean +20 and +40, the outer lip of the virgos will sit 20mm farther inboard. This might look funny. You might be able to make up for that with spacers and extended lugs.
>>
>>17417787
Oh and you also might rub at steering lock if you don't use spacers, but that's not a huge deal, just don't turn the wheel all the way.
>>
What qualifies as a classic car on /o/'s classic car general threads?
>>
>>17417926
Anything from before 1985 I'd say
>>
File: pic02.jpg (200KB, 1536x1047px) Image search: [Google]
pic02.jpg
200KB, 1536x1047px
>>17417792
Awesome, thank you. I'm going to put them on as a test and see if it does run at full lock.

One more quick question: the rotors on the V70 have a stud sticking out of them that goes into a little cavity on the inside of the current rims. I have read that some Virgos (but not all) have that cavity. If I happen to not have it, is it safe to cut off that stud? And what is it even there for really?

I pulled a pic off Google images and it's that little stud in the bottom left area of the rotor
>>
So neither the power sunroof or the A/C system in my W124 work. Former is stuck in closed position and while latter should work it leaks out the refrigerant.

Which out of the two is easier/cheaper to fix?
>>
>>17418379
Ironically the a/c system
>>
File: 986ffc336e44dc4a2c150ad52c46e6ab.jpg (911KB, 3151x2176px) Image search: [Google]
986ffc336e44dc4a2c150ad52c46e6ab.jpg
911KB, 3151x2176px
semi poorfag student here.

Would a manual 5th gen Honda prelude make a good first car? I'm just looking for a fun daily, I can buy a project later.

A friend of mine is selling a well maintained one for around 1.5 - 2.5k. everything is in pretty good shape but the interior needs some work. it's nearing 200k miles. h22 motor.

>pic unrelated
>>
While many car enthusiasts basically try to make their shitboxes race cars for the road driving an actual race car on normal roads is a terrible idea for various reasons like unbearably harsh ride, non-existent interior space that is hot as hell with no little to no airflow to cool it and driver and making 3-point turns to 5-, or 7-point turns.

Still sometimes I wonder about the idea of taking a race car and gradually turn it into street car? Obviously this would mean softening the suspension, raising the car just enough to being able to drive on backroads and to deal with potholes and speed bumps and adding some comfort related items and noise insulation to the cockpit. Has anyone actually tried making a race car into road car instead of doing the vice-versa? Is this idea even more retarded than making your daily driver into "race car" you can't really drive anywhere anymore?
>>
my SUV was totaled two days ago, other driver is at fault, and i'm looking at getting at max $5000 for my paid-off-but-now-wrecked SUV.

the real issue is this...i have no idea what to get next. i really enjoy the boat feeling of SUVs, but i would like to be able to get a truck to put my motorcycle in the back of whenever i feel like traveling with both, but i also go on long drives all the time and a car would best serve me price-point wise due to the random travel.

is there any other direction i should go, or maybe even suggestions? i have absolutely no brand loyalty, and do almost all repairs on any machines i own. my budget is $20-25k.
>>
I'm getting a high pitched electrical whine when engaging and when keeping the turn signal on. It occurs every few seconds and also more frequently when I'm turning and before the wheel disengages the turn signal.
>>
>>17417755
unrelated but those are the best looking Volvo Rims after the godly Volvo R rims.
>>
>>17417755
I dont think I've ever seen a v70 with virgos. Please post some pics once you get them on.
>>
File: 850_480.jpg (276KB, 1280x654px) Image search: [Google]
850_480.jpg
276KB, 1280x654px
>>17418127
I think it's there to keep the tire in the same position it was in when it was removed for best alignment characteristics
it doesn't really have any effect that i can ascertain
just replace it with a normal bolt
for extraflush look for a hex bolt with minimal head
t. bought an 850 with 3 studs and 1 bolt, never replaced
>>
>>17418835
get a volvo and a bike trailer
>>
>>17418737
you could do much worse, and that's a decent price and mileage for a college car

>>17418819
>what are VINs?
>what do you mean i would get pulled over daily?
>>
>>17419347
second, really want to see
>>
So air suspension should be comfy as fuck, right?
How are they driving dynamics wise?
>>
>>17419515
meh
also replacements will be expensive
get coilovers when (not if) they blow
>>
can anyone check this VIN?

1FTEX1EM7EKF86114
>>
>>17419733

never mind lmao. dealer said it was "sold."
>>
What's the difference between a 2009 Corolla L and LE? Is it worth $300 extra to get the LE over the L?
>>
Recently a lady doing a 3-point turn backed into my door and left a good dent
The police filed a report and I have her info and insurance.
How do I go about getting her or her insurance to pay? If I make a claim will my insurance go up? will I have to pay a deductible?
I'm in Texas if that matters

I got quoted for the repair today. Could I just call her and tell her the amount and see if she agrees to pay? Do I contact her insurance company?
>>
When I first turn on my car it idles fine but no matter what I set the throttle position sensor to it idles to .5 rpm after like a minute in drive.

The biggest issue this causes is that the car car kinda sputters at like 50+. Like the engine is doing something. And the worst is that it can stall occasionally when stopped at a light.
The check engine light for the catalystic converter is on as well but a mechanic I know said it was probably an o2 sensor since there wasnt a smell coming for the back.
Ive been doing some research and was wondering if this could be a fuel pump problem. I was visiting family once and they said they smelled gas one time after I cut it on. Im not really sure whats going on.
>>
>>17418819
What kind of race car?
>>
>>17420317
Yeah you'll have to pay excess/deductible and your premiums will likely increase next year and she will have the same problem, so call her and offer the option of her paying for it rather than going through insurance. If she refuses or dicks about, just claim.
>>
>>17420563
Generally if you have a bad O2 sensor, you'll have a check engine light on. But only if it's so bad that it's fucking up the air fuel ratio. If it's a little bad, you wouldn't have those sputtering or dying issues. Set up a fuel pressure rig and see if you're getting the right fuel pressure to your rails, maybe run a bottle of injector cleaner and clean your MAF off (if you have one)and clean the throttle and idle air control valve. Sounds like you have a fuel or air issue at high speeds/load. My guess is fuel related.
>>
What's that $35 aux radio thing again? I haven't had any luck finding it.. I suck at google.
>>
>>17420317
As far as I know, you should let your own insurance deal with hers. Tell them you want to file a claim and give them her insurance and information. Also provide them with any proof that you have, a video, pictures of her paint on your car etc. Your premiums wont go up if shes found to be at fault. Technically only self damage like you crashed your car, or scraped against a post will you have to pay your deductible depending on if its a comprehensive claim (500$ in my case, or 1000$ when i crashed into a wall). Some dude backed into my car and took off my rear bumper and I didn't pay a dime. Didn't have the car for a week, but the person who hit my car paid for my rental. Free new bumper, great paint match, can't complain. Life is great being the victim.
>>
So what names does Alphonse go by? He has so many I lost count.
>>
File: IMG_20160520_073758764.jpg (521KB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160520_073758764.jpg
521KB, 2560x1440px
My '01 Neon's blinker sometimes works and sometimes doesn't, its random and seems to only change when its turned on or off, as in it'll continuously work or continuously not until its restarted wherein it might change. I've tried pulling the module and the contacts aren't corroded or anything, help?
>>
My car is old and has corrosion and scratches on the paint. I don't have 500+ to get it repainted, thats like 1/3 the worth of the car. Is there any way to spray paint it without it looking like a niggermobile?
>>
Is lugging gears bad?
>>
>>17420597
>>17420629
thanks i think ill go to my insurance
>>
i'm filling out an application to be a cop in michigan and i have a chauffeurs license and there's no option for that where it says "class". is it a class A? or is that CDL? what class license do i have?
>>
>>17420750
yeah, don't lug it. It's ok to try to ease on the gas to bring it up to speed is say roughly below 2000 rpms, but if you WOT it at lower gears, you're dumping too much air and fuel into the cylinder and it's trying to go down, but it can't so it just rattles in its cylinder as it tries to go sideways. It puts a huge amount of strain on your engine. So easy does it with the throttle at low RPMs, once your fast enough, go WOT. Ever notice how race car drivers ease up to speed, they don't just floor it off the line?
>>
The black hard plastic on my interior got scratched and i don't even know how it happened (it's on the passenger side)
What's the best way to get rid of those or at least make them less apparent?
>>
My 2010 civic shift stick is feeling rough. Normally it just clicked into gear. It was very direct and smooth. Now I feel I have to go through a bag of rocks when I shift.

Is it the gear oil? It only has 32K miles.
>>
File: Universal_joint.gif (381KB, 280x164px) Image search: [Google]
Universal_joint.gif
381KB, 280x164px
I'm having a problem with my brakes [I think] that I'd love some help with, and I couldn't find a solid answer after quite a bit of googling. No one else's problems seem to exactly match mine.

Here are the symptoms:
>Creaking after applying parking brake on a hill
I'm pretty sure this is par for the course because if I really yank on the parking brake then the creaking doesn't happen, so I assume it's because the P-brake isn't tight enough. This may unrelated to the real issue, I'm not sure.
>The real issue: I hear creaking right when I'm at the apex of a stop or right after I start moving from a stop.
I've played around with stopping and starting a lot and I think the creaking happens in the small moment when my brakes are applied, but not enough to stop the standard car creep.
This stop/start creaking is especially prominent in the mornings and in cold weather. At the end of the day it's still there, but it's a lot softer sounding.

I recently replaced my rear brakes (pads and rotors) and my front brakes look to be in good condition, so I'm not sure if the issue is with my front brakes or parking brake.

This has been happening for roughly the last 10,000 miles, which, coincidentally, is about when the car started getting parked outside, and only driven a few times a week (college).

My not-so-expert analysis is that it has to do with:
>Front Brakes
>Parking Brake
>U-joint (someone said this could be it from my googling)
>Rust or something from being parked outside

Anyone think they know what it is? Any help is appreciated.
>>
File: mn06__44595.1456966114.500.750.jpg (70KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
mn06__44595.1456966114.500.750.jpg
70KB, 500x500px
>>17420609
I'm guessing you don't mean a 3.5mm aux cable right? Because these aren't 35$. Do you perhaps mean the cassette player to aux cable?
>>
im getting new stop tech brake rotors for my car and i was wondering if getting slotted up front and just regular smooth rotors in the back would effect performance?
>>
File: Dodge Stratus RT.jpg (310KB, 1600x957px) Image search: [Google]
Dodge Stratus RT.jpg
310KB, 1600x957px
Is the Dodge Stratus R/T coupe any good?

Reviews of Edmunds and Carsurvey seem to be relatively positive especially for the R/T.
>>
If I were able to source all the parts for it, would I be able to install a push-button start on a 2011 Kia Forte sedan that originally came with a normal key ignition?
>>
>>17422010
>early-mid 2000s dodge
>ever
>>
>>17420745
RATTLECAN
E
V
I
V
A
L
>>
File: 1.jpg (221KB, 670x470px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
221KB, 670x470px
>>17420839
>police jr. can't into license classes
top fucking kek copsnot
>>
>>17421567
>parking brake is loose
ratchet the brake handle several times, this will tighten the star adjuster
>creaky brakes
it's just a layer of rust that forms on the rotors
along with your new pads that probs haven't broken in yet
>pads aren't grabby enough yet
>rotors are a little rusty
>result: pad slip
>>
Hey guys, how do I start learning about cars?
Does anyone have any links/guides/books?
>tfw no dad growing up
>>
File: 1439590061815.jpg (526KB, 1199x899px) Image search: [Google]
1439590061815.jpg
526KB, 1199x899px
>>17422979
>no dad to tell me not to be a summerfag
check the sticky, youtube, any repair manual ever, the library should have a limited amount of chiltons/hayes and ICE theory books to check out
>literally has the most useful information searching tool of all time at his fingertips
>asks some nigs on a uzbekistani mausoleum maintenance forum instead
>>
what are the best mods I can do to a 3.0L inline 6? I want to keep it NA but get the best possible performance
>>
>>17421772

Nah, the board for two 15W speakers that's just got one AUX input and a volume knob
>>
>>17423239
Cold blow torque charger
>>
How come there is no thread about repair guides? I need to dismantle the dashboard in my Ford Focus c-max from 2004 and other shit like changing air filters and a/c coolant(if it even has one). Also what should i know about OBD scan/diagnostic tool? Which ones aren't shit?
The problem is ever since i got LPG installed i have to slam my dashboard or engine bay mask to make car work again. Probably some cables are loose. So i want to tinker around it.
>>
>>17418835
Any sedan can pull a little trailer with your bike on it.
>>
0-100 / 0-60 GPS acceleration measuring app.
What do you use for iOS? I have neither OBD nor any extra device like Racelogic ones.
>>
File: IMG_0452.jpg (146KB, 666x862px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0452.jpg
146KB, 666x862px
Do we ever have threads where we post about cars we want to buy/sell? Why not?

I'm in MD looking for a Datsun 240 or 280 roller, I want to get nasty and drop an sbc in it for rallies.
>>
File: 32.jpg (121KB, 644x453px) Image search: [Google]
32.jpg
121KB, 644x453px
Just bought my first trucc
Want to get second hand tyres for it
seller claims these were new and only used for only 2 months

does that look like 2 months of use to you?

Goodyear Wranglers MS btw
>>
>>17425021

yeah that looks like (1)2 months of use to me.
>>
>>17418127
fuck that's crusty
northeast anon?
>>
Took car to shop for check engine light. Diagnosed as "the spark plugs eroded and ruined the throttle body, $1400 to fix" car is a 6 years old Mazda, is this a legit sounding scenario, or should we look for a second opinion?
>>
File: dragon loli ?.png (118KB, 404x404px) Image search: [Google]
dragon loli ?.png
118KB, 404x404px
>>17417755
i am hearing a creaking/clicking noise every time i turn my steering wheel. its not coming from the suspension but more like from the steering column. my car is a 09 honda accord. anybody know what i might be getting into?

i tried spraying some WD40 between the steering wheel and the part that holds it but the noise is still there. its only at low speeds that i hear it. not all the time but sometimes
>>
>>17418127
on my car thats just a bolt.
it just unscrews. dont worry about it.
>>
What's the reason for the hate I see towards cars like the BMW 3 series and the G35/G37? That range of moderately priced, sportier "luxury" cars from a few years back.
Is it just memes or are there actual problems with those kinds of cars?
>>
>>17425021
Lol, that tread looks shallow. Its a truck tire not a low profile street tire. That tire looks like it has 15kmiles/one year of use AT LEAST.

t. Owned 2 trucks and has bought 15+ sets of tires.
>>
>>17425749
Definitely get a second opinion, sounds fishy.
>>
>>17425770
probably your clock spring.

do you have steering wheel controls, and if so are the functioning?
>>
>>17425803
yes my steering wheel has buttons cruise control and radio control. they are working fine. would a clock spring be easy to change. i'v never done work on the steering column before.
>>
How do you control understeer?
Specifically on a fwd
>>
>>17425876
Oversteer into the understeer
>>
>>17425857
start up the car and cycle the wheel back and fourth while stationary and see if you can isolate it from the steering column.

They're not difficult to replace if you're ok with removing the steering wheel airbag. Airbag comes out, unhook all of the connections, pull the steering wheel nut, remove the wheel.
the clock spring usually is screwed in to the column itself and has a body-side connector. basically install the new one and slap all that shit back together.

MOST IMPORTANT PART! mark your steering wheel in relation to your steering shaft (they're splined together) otherwise you can bolt it back together and now your wheel is crooked as shit
>>
File: donald-trump-thumbs-up.jpg (106KB, 1180x842px) Image search: [Google]
donald-trump-thumbs-up.jpg
106KB, 1180x842px
>>17425884
thanks anon.
>>
>>17425749
what the fuck do corroded spark plugs have to do with the throttle body , no god damn correlation...although your spark plugs most likely did corrode and that would trip the check engine light because the explosions wouldnt burn as clean and your ecu would fuck up the mixture ...spark plugs are very cheap and easy to replace thats probably why they racked up a bullshit excuse to get 1400$
>>
>>17425785
Basically they are criticized for being a luxury sporty car but not being the most expensive or the sportiest

The turbo'd straight six engines in the 04-10 3 series had some problems here and there but all around they're great cars
>>
Here's a riddle for you guys:

After dodging an old woman who nearly hit me, my back tire went up over a curb and made an awful scraping sound. Now, I hear a screeching sound coming from the area of that wheel (rear passenger side).
>it happens when driving forward steadily or accelerating at low speeds (under ~10mph), in any gear
>it does not happen when driving forward steadily or accelerating at higher speeds, in any gear
>it does not happen in reverse at any speed or acceleration

What do you think happened? I don't have a jackstand so I can't physically get under it.
>>
I have always liked the looks of Nissan 300ZX and kinda wanted to get one for years but from what I have heard and read it seems to be Porsche 924 level moneypit which is something I don't want to deal with.

How is it's successor Nissan 350Z? Is it reliable and otherwise decent car or not?
>>
>>17427803
Sounds like the axle has been damaged
>>
>>17418819
So, just get a street legal one. https://vimeo.com/50473835
>>
File: 61CXy37qCEL._SL1200_.jpg (76KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
61CXy37qCEL._SL1200_.jpg
76KB, 1200x1200px
is this a good obd2?
alternatives for less than ~60?
>>
are those wheel spray paints any good?
>>
File: question.jpg (27KB, 336x422px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
27KB, 336x422px
DelSol '95 (270k Km, 170k miles) vs Celica '03 (220k Km, 137k miles)
which one would you buy? both are in decentish condition the sol goes for 2k, the celica for 4k. I dont need it as a daily driver, only to get out of the city during weekends. Which is more "fun"? Which is less likely to fuck me over? Celica seems to have more utilty and generaly better, but the DelSol is kinda fun and costs the half... so even if it turns out that i made a bad choice it only 2k loss
>>
>>17428138
elm327
>>
>>17428533
I think the 7th gen celicas look terrible... so DelSol for me
>>
File: IMG_0752.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0752.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>17417755
Virgo's make my dick fucken diamonds man
>>
>>17428629
i too like the astethics of the delsol better, but i dont think the 7th gen celicas look half bad, sure 6th gen bugeyes are cute. Im more interested in parts availability/reliability causeshit will get broken sooner or later... Like how much i will need to hunt for tie-rods, and other parts that wear and tear...
>>
>give my car to a friend to try it out
>he pumps the gas pedal while maneuvering out of the parking spot

I have seen other people do it, but why? I just keep the gas steady and go on with my business.
>>
years ago i recall hearing that particular rally car made something crazy like 800hp from a 2 litre.. Then they said that it needed a rebuild after 10 or 20 minutes of driving.

Can anyone tell me if they know which car/engine that was and if it is even true?
>>
File: 9179ea41504873b04141cec03150461d.jpg (593KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
9179ea41504873b04141cec03150461d.jpg
593KB, 1600x1200px
>>17428817

It should be the Lancia Stratos.
>>
File: IMG_0429.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0429.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
Any decent body kits for pic related? Want to change it up a little bit not much, maybe some new alloys too.
>>
>>17428817
It was the Ford rs200, it could last 6 minutes at redline before grenading
>>
Last time i got my car inspected it had issues with the left side brake being less "efficent". How would i even the braking power since it was barely above the legal limit? I'm not going to spend money on the repair since the car costs less than the repairs would. DIY methods are welcome.
>>
Let's say I find an executive car that hasn't been touched in three decades.What are some things I should do in order to get the car running like brand new?
>>
File: 20170624_205552.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_205552.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
/o/ what car is this?
>spotted in spain btw
Don't remember what brand or anything else just took the picture
>>
File: 20170624_205552-1.jpg (1MB, 1837x1510px) Image search: [Google]
20170624_205552-1.jpg
1MB, 1837x1510px
>>17429765
Sorry about that
>>
>>17429183
just put spinners on it
>>
>>17429406
Let's say I have a tricycle from 30 years ago. What are some things I should do in order to get it running like a brand new car?
>>
>>17422062
Why tho
>>
File: 070920_ab_grandepunto_44.jpg (32KB, 478x309px) Image search: [Google]
070920_ab_grandepunto_44.jpg
32KB, 478x309px
Need a phone holder to somehow mount in the middle of the dashboard. I don't want it to block air vents nor be attached to the windscreen.
Any ideas if there is something that can be attached straight to the flat plastic?
Fiat Grande Punto 2006 if it matters.
>>
>>17422062
No idea if your ignition lock has a proximity sensor to the key fob. If so, you'll end up having to put your ignition key into the keyhole as you press the start button.
>>
>>17430312
>Need a phone holder to somehow mount in the middle of the dashboard.
Lots of holders have a flat plastic section that inserts into the CD player slot. Just remember not to hit your holder in a fit of temper and snap it off.
>>
How to take care of a car you have to park outside all year?

I'm buying a new car which will be too big for my appartments tiny garage.
>>
>>17430011
>>17429765
fiat cinquecento? quite popular in europe, or at least used to be
>>
File: 0625171155.jpg (3MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
0625171155.jpg
3MB, 3840x2160px
Hey guys, I don't have much experience working on my shitbox but I decided to change my own brakes so I wouldn't have to pay an arm and a leg for someone else to do it. I'm in the process of changing my rear pads and rotors on a 97 audi a4 and the passenger side was no big deal, however, the drivers side is a different story. I am right at the part where you have to rotate the piston while pushing it in, the problem is that no matter how hard I push and how much I twist it the piston will not go in. I don't have the super special tool for it so I'm using a ratchet with an attachment that fits into the piston (pic related). I'm willing to go rent the tool from an auto parts store but I'd much rather just get it done without that hassle. What do you guys suggest? I've read that it could be a problem with to much pressure in the lines but I don't know how to take care of that. Any advice would be super appreciated, it's bugging the hell out of me.
>>
How/with what do I clean alcantara?
>>
File: IMG_20170625_183517_105.jpg (1MB, 2413x2414px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170625_183517_105.jpg
1MB, 2413x2414px
>>17430478
O fuck man. That's it. Thanks

For that here's a twingo I spotted here as well
>>
>>17430547
When did you take these photos? It feels like 2004. Last time I've been to Spain was in 2009 but I'm sure they had newer cars
>>
What you think of this as a first car?
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Durr%C3%ABs/AUTOMJETE/Makina/BMW/Seri-3/320/BMW-320CD-coupe-diesel/4337453
>>
>>17430810
Quite large for a first car but if you feel ready for it then why not
>>
>>17430819
large as in big/wide size on the road?
yeah i have that problem im still me inside i need to be one with the car but its hard
when i learnt how to drive with an old merc I feard i would scratch it on narrow roads
>>
>>17430831
Yea that's what I meant.
>>
Is there really any difference between diesel and petrol in modern (5 yrs old max) cars?
>>
>>17430557
Took this one today and the other one last sunday.
There is nee cars but I'm not as interested in them as I am in old cars. Also, I'm mostly staying in the poor parts of Madrid (:
>>
>>17430846
Diesels tend to be more eco/mpg focused.
>>
>>17431014
So why isn't everyone buying diesel only?
>>
So my I had my car overheat earlier this week and I'm trying to pin down why.

The morning of that day it started up and drove normal, but on my way from work when I started it there was squealing and a low idle (usually starts at 2k rpms and goes down as the car warms up) at like 1k rpms. Starting from a stop sounded a little rough and on the highway it started boiling coolant. After limping it home and putting the heater at max and fans at full blast it was only blowing cold air, at one point the temperature gauge bottomed out then went back to normal and the vents started blowing hot again, but that only lasted for like 1 minute and they went back to cold and the needle started rising again. With all that being said, I checked the water pump pulley and I was able to spin it fairly easily by itself even with the drive belt still on, on top of that there seems to be some play in the pulley/bearing for the water pump. I'd say at least 1/32nd or more. My stupid question is: is it the pump or the belt that caused this? How much play in the pump bearing is too much?
>>
im going to be 200lbs currebtly 185 and i was wondering how much my weight would affect my performance on a sport bike. 220 lbs? 240?
>>
>>17430491
Undo the nipple bleeder valve on the caliper and then try. Disclaimer: you will have to bleed your brakes afterwards
>>
>>17429192
do you have a source for that claim? I also heard it was an RS200
>>
>>17431050
I will give that a try thanks.
>>
>>17431022
Slower, louder, higher maintenance costs, more expensive, librul shithole cities trying to ban them because muh NOX.
>>
>>17430810
looks good
>>
2008 F250 with 54000mi or 2009 F250 with 53000mi?
>>
>>17431246
Whichever is in nicer shape obvs
>>
>>17431268

didn't know if anyone knew of some major flaw in either that i should be wary of. i'm prepping for towing trailers of motorcycles once i find more toys i want to buy.
>>
>>17428138
$20 ones on amazon are pretty based and extremely simple to use
otherwise torque and knockoff>>17428535
>>
File: 2016-11-30.jpg (271KB, 1224x1632px) Image search: [Google]
2016-11-30.jpg
271KB, 1224x1632px
>>17431034
probably the pump pulley
>too much play, binds belt & makes squeal
>impeller won't turn/isn't turning

>how much is too much
ANY
t. almost lost an engine to this
>>
>>17431283
You can always go to a motorcycle shop and look for examples of tow trailers they are selling. Examine the hitches and what they require in terms of electrical connections. You'll see brakes and non-brake versions.
>>
>>17431478

i'm getting a trailer later, getting the truck first right now.
>>
How bad is the L-Jetronik flap-type mass-air-flow-meter?
I´m about to get a car with one and don´t know much about it...
>>
File: FB_IMG_1486949761240.jpg (85KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1486949761240.jpg
85KB, 960x540px
Working through some basic things to attempt to fix a rough idling issue on my explorer. Initially had a misfire and thew a check engine light but a new set of ignition coils fixed that. Still idles rough, it maintains rpm but vibrates the cab. Already had new plugs from when I bought it.

Going to try to do Injectors next, and I see that there are "repair kits" that come with things like seals, spacers, filters and pintle caps. I am not a mechanic, just a handy college student trying to take care of his DD. Can't find much info on whether something like this would be sufficient to reman my own injectors or to what extent this will help. I can find sets of injectors all over the internet that are either reman or take off for under 100 so it isnt a big deal. But a 30$ repair kit is worth it even if it takes time to go through each injector myself.

Pic related - '02 exploder, 4.6 2v SOHC.
>>
>talking to some guy selling a clean looking MR-S on Craigslist
>he says he works for a dealer
>I ask him why he posted it in the private seller section
>he says his dealership doesn't do financing and he put it there because he wanted to avoid poorfags asking for loans
Is this even a thing? Am I getting jewed?
>>
File: sweating.jpg (37KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
sweating.jpg
37KB, 600x600px
I'm looking at cars online and found something that's pretty much exactly what I want, but I noticed in a photo that the Check Engine light is on. My knowledge on cars isn't very advanced, so I'm not sure how big of a deal it is. How am I supposed to feel about this?
>>
>>17422979
If you have a car, go to the library and check out the haynes/chiltons repair manual for your car and read it for fun. If you don't know what something means then wikipedia it.
>>
i'm having some serious doubts about getting my 2nd/"enthusiast" car
i started browsing /o/ a few months ago and was deadset on getting a miata since then. i've been saving up for one but over the past few weeks i've been realizing just how much 4-5k is and how much i can actually do with that money if i spent it on other stuff. the roads in my area aren't the most exciting (completely flat, no cool roads or toegays) and i don't even have a garage (still live with parents). the car i drive now is a pretty boring autotragic so there isn't really much to foster this new hobby i want to get into (other than playing initial d at an arcade and talking/learning about cars on the internet). even if i do go through and get a miata i'm afraid i'll lose interest afterwards and have spent all this time/potentially more money/space on a car

i don't know man should i just sit on it for a few more weeks to see if i'm still interested
>>
>>17432034
before you go cleaning the injectors or buying prepackaged bullsit
just clean the throttle body and IAC valve
exploder forums have tons of how-tos
cost: a few bucks for a can of throttle body cleaner plus paper towels and qtips
>>17432200
this is called curbstoning, walk away
>>17432279
you should feel like you want to take it to a mechanic for an inspection before buying it
they say no and/or won't let you drive it
it's fuk'd walk away
>>
>>17432352
If they don't have one for your year, even reading the repair manual for a different year model of your car can give you insight.
>>
>>17432500
Thanks anon, It's got 180k miles, even if that's not it, i'm sure it would help to clean it regardless. I'll have to do it this week.
>>
>>17432500
The dude says he's willing to show me VIN and title. The biggest risk of curbstoning is getting a salvage or something without knowing it, right?
Here's the listing: https://sanantonio.craigslist.org/cto/6191559013.html
>>
>>17432403
do not buy a second car if you live with your parents. full stop.
>>
>>17417755
whats the best oil filter for actually filtering shit out?
Also I don't know shit about cars, what size/thing should I be looking for in an oil filter to make sure it will fit?
>>
doesn coolant have a expiration date? i need to do a coolant flush on my car and i have a gallon saved up which i had for 3yrs in storage is it okay to use?

also do i really need to use OEM coolant on my 09 honda accord? cant i just use prestone from autozone? should i change my thermostat too? it still works.
>>
>>17432760
i use MODIL1 and bosch. just dont use the store brand. autozone will look up the part number for your car for the right fit
>>
>>17432760
Fram a best. Google what oil filters will fit your car
>>
>>17432522
NP, good luck br/o/
>>17432651
>The biggest risk of curbstoning is getting a salvage or something without knowing it, right?
yes
it could also be a clean car and the dealer is just trying to get out of paying fees
but remember if it's not reported damage won't show up on a VIN check
and his story of "we don't finance" is bullshit, that's what keeps BHPHs in business
my guess is he got it cheap from work b/c even they wouldn't sell it
which is frightening
>tl;dr- "or something" could be unreported frame damage, get it inspected before buying
>>
>>17432200
>Is this even a thing?
Yes, this is done for certain cars that the dealer does NOT want to warranty or accept returns for fraud. The dealer will work to hide a certain huge imperfection with the car. That imperfection may surface later but as a private CL sale, you are stuck with it. If a dealer hid such an obvious problem, the courts would say "shame on you" and you could reverse the sale due to misrepresentation or fraud. Licensed and bonded official car dealers are required by law to comply to certain consumer protection requirements as well as the lemon law. My state also has a buyer's remorse law. Of course, none of those laws help you if you buy from CL.
>>
>>17432776
>>17432797
So basically all signs point to ulterior motives, huh. That's a shame, MR2s are pretty hard to find around here.
>>
>>17432695
not because of failure to launch or anything, i'm still in college. my dad is also into cars and i figured its something we could do together. but yeah i see your point. we don't have a ton of space as it is
>>
What could be causing the squeaks in this video? Only occurs when turning signal is on.

https://youtu.be/R3-QXEVyxRA
>>
Dude how much for the centre piece, my 84 240 is missing one and I cant find any
>>
>>17432842
Just google "curbstoning" and you will see.
>>
>>17432884
try seeing if your dad will help maintenance ur current DD
if he isn't willing to drink a beer with you while changing fluids and filters now he isn't going to help wrench later
>dad is car guy
>doesn't have a garage
hmmm maybe look into building one and put ur cash towards that
will show ur dad ur serious plus he gets low cost equity
>protip: building a garage is a better father-son project than fixing a miata
less cramped, for one
>>
If my car makes a rattling noise in neutral, usually with the a/c on, does that mean I have the lightened flywheel?

also, it's pretty hard to get smooth shifts from first to second
>>
Can anyone do a VIN check?

JT2MA67L1D0047554
>>
My front left is making a low pitch squeaking noise as my tyre rotates, only happens when going straight and turning left, and the noise stops when turning right.

Is it the wheel bearing?
>>
>>17433268
no accidents on record

oh, and your warranty is expired
>>
>>17433296
Actually after driving again and really listening to it, it's constant. Just the front left constantly squeaking as the tyre rotates on the road.
>>
so when my a/c clutch disengages, it spins backwards for a few seconds

what does this mean? I don't have manifold gauges to check the pressures
>>
File: 534-2v3.jpg (732KB, 2259x1050px) Image search: [Google]
534-2v3.jpg
732KB, 2259x1050px
My 88 Mr2 is still overheating after I replaced the water pump and thermostat. I think I've narrowed it down to the fans. They don't ever turn on even when my temperature gauge is 3/4 of the way to max temp. They do however start working immediately if I unplug them from the ECU. The BGB says to "replace the temperature switch" but as I said I've already replaced the thermostat and the gauge seems to be working correctly so could I really need another one of these things? What else could it be?
>>
>>17433454
Car A/C systems have a one-way check valve to force compressed refrigerant to flow in one direction. Otherwise, the freon would just flow back and forth as the compressor compresses the gas back into liquid. The valve separates the high pressure side where you have compressed liquid freon and the gaseous side where the compressor piston is located.

When the engine stops, there is no more force applied to the magnetic clutch, so the compressor piston is able to move freely. If the valve is leaky, the liquid freeon will boil off and go backwards into the cylinder and make the piston move. That in turn causes the visible part of the clutch plate to turn backwards since it is no longer gripping that pulley wheel with the power turned off to the magnetic clutch.

http://www.suzuki-forums.com/suzuki-sidekick-escudo-vitara-geo-x/51909-ac-compressor-spinning-backwards-when-vehicle.html
>>
>>17433709
so the little reed valves in the compressor are bad? That is completely internal and means I need a new compressor right? The guy I bought it from said he just had it replaced not too long ago lmfao
>>
>>17433542
bretty sure there's one temp switch for the gauges and one for the ecu
>>
>>17433724
Bad is a relative term. What's really bad are independent shops that want a part. They see someone come in and tell him that part is bad. They then swap their used not so good part for that nearly new good part.

The problem with buying a so-called "new" compressor is that very often they are not truly new. My chevy dealer is a stealership. A normal dealer would just charge a compressor inspection fee which includes checking vacuum level and pressure levels on both sides. Of course, that also means letting the freon out and refilling it back to proper level. That should be under $100 but my stealership always tacks on some "exam fee" which is $120 and then adds the "a la cart" menu item of compressor service for another $160 to $180. It then charges for the freon. It also charges separately for disposal since freon can't be dumped into the atmosphere. They actually recycle it in their machine. What a rip.

But after the stealership charges the $600 for a new compressor, they probably send it off for valve and seal replacement to sell it to someone else or use it for warranty service replacement and make money off that. If you read your service contract, you may see the clause that recycled parts can be used for warranty service. They may have replaced the reed valve in someone else's compressor and then used it for your in-warranty repair.

But all that doesn't explain the condition of the compressor the guy said he replaced. Did he replace it with truly all new virgin compressor? Or was it done under warranty which means its gets a used compressor? And then again, lots of people use language sloppily. To them, "new" means they replaced it. It doesn't refer to the condition of the compressor at all. This is what happens when people don't use the same dictionary AND grammar AND adhere to rules of language AND have the same autism level for observing details - misunderstandings occur.
>>
>>17433542
the temp sensor for most 80's cars is a dual lead plug. the single lead plug like you pictured only works the interior gauges.

Often times the CHTS only worked AF ratios, and there was a third two lead sensor inline with the radiator inlet hose or on the radiator near the water inlet that controlled the electronic cooling fans.

I dont know much about MR2's but ive never seen a single lead plug control anything.
>>
I understand ride height but what does spring rate refer to on a set of coil-overs? Is it a fixed value or is it adjustable? As in, when you change the hardness/softness setting on the coil-over does that change the rate?
>>
File: 080010010.jpg (16KB, 378x378px) Image search: [Google]
080010010.jpg
16KB, 378x378px
1994 Firebird, 3.4L V6

The Low Oil comes on when I initially start the car, but if I cycle the ignition without starting the car, it will fade if I leave it ON for about 10-15 seconds. Doesn't come on after driving around for a while and restarting the car.

5W-30 Oil (pic related) I had lying around is in it right now. The pressure is at the end of the gauge when starting up at 80, but gets down to around 40-45 after driving around (It's 90 degrees here, so the oil isn't too cold).

I know the right amount of oil is in the car and it's not lost any since I bought it (doesn't burn or leak).

What could be the issue here?
>>
>>17432773
>>17432770
Is there no standard sizing or something for cars that I could use to filter searches?
The engine is a vq35de on my 04 murano if anyone knows any specific filters that work great.
>>
>>17433996
Are you retarded?
>>
>>17434020
Will you answer my question?
Because I've googled a bit and haven't found shit
>>
>>17434022
Anon here >>17432770 told you to go to AutoZone, so literally go to the AutoZone website punch in what car you have and search oil filters.

It's not that hard you tard.
>>
>>17434034
I get that, and that's what I've done.
I was trying to figure out if there was some standard sizing that I could look for instead of having to rely on websites shitty filters to work.
>>
>>17434039
No, theres no sizing
>>
>>17434039
Just like with any other part on your car you rely on part numbers not the size of things.
>>
How much would it cost to have the synchros in my transmission changed? k20a2 honda engine. 4th gear grinds when going straight from 3rd to 4th. Have to push clutch in and let revs drop, change gears, then rev match and release clutch for it not to grind. Kind of annoying.
>>
So I put new brake drums on my car a couple months ago. I had sprayed several coats of heat resistant rustoleum paint on them to prevent rust but the paint has peeled off and now they look like shit. What did I do wrong? How can I paint these things to last?
>>
Vin check?
1FAFP37N96W187033
>>
>>17434445

Did you sand them and degrease them?
>>
>>17434469
Yeah I did that. Should I have added primer or some shit?
>>
1993 S10 2.8l V6 5-speed

Starter problems

>don't know what's wrong
>replace starter
>had a missing bolt for mounting
>get new hardware too
>okay problem solved works great
>drive for a few months
>same issue as before
>get down there
>look at it
>same bolt is missing again
>another 2 bucks at the auto parts store
>starter works again
>great
>few weeks later
>won't start
>get under it again
THE FUCKING GOD DAMN MOUNTING BOLT IS GONE AGAIN?!

It's the really long one, and I swear to god I've had that thing tight as fuck each time I've replaced it.
>>
>>17434523
Try using thread locker next time
>>
>>17425021
My wrangles have more tread than that after almost a year, he tryna fuck you senpai
>>
>>17434527
I did seriously think about it this weekend when I put that bolt in again.

But, the fact that it's the long bolt scares me about it.. It's threaded for about an inch, then like 2-3 inches of just metal, then the head.. And, I'd just hate for the torque of the starter to snap that bolt off inside the block and turn my $2 fix every other month into a big bill of welding, tapping, and threading a new mounting hole for the bolt. :/
>>
>>17434556
Put some jb weld just below the head of the bolt and down the bare metal a third of the way
>>
>>17417755
2015 versa 1.6L with CVT
40k miles
40/31 mpg

yes or not?
i have never bought a car before
>>
>>17434572
also right now i am driving a 93 nissan d21 4 cylinder which i love but it is giving me electrical problems and i don't really feel like dealing with it. i just want to have a car i can do basic shit to and it works work a while.
>>
>>17434572
>CVT
Bad idea desu
>>
>>17433922
Possible the oil passages are starting to get clogged up. When you start up, the oil pump shoves the oil back up to the top. That decreases the amount of oil in your sump where the oil level sensor is located. The oil flowing back down to the sump isn't thin enough to flow very fast back down. After all, at operating temp, the oil flows pretty thinly and fast. Thus, for a short amount of time, the oil is low in the sump. When the oil warms up and gets to be watery thin, then it flows fast through the narrowed oil passages to match the rate the oil pump is shoving oil up to the top. Thus the sump is no longer low.
>>
>>17434581
wait what is wrong with cvt? prone to failure?
>>
>>17433922
Friend of mine had a 94 firebird. He always made a point to turn the key to "on" first, let it ding a few times, and then turn the car on. Said it got the oil flowing
>>
>>17434592
They don't last long
>>
>>17434600
They can last. It's just they need more frequent maintenance. Just like how manual transmissions need maintenance more often than automatic transmissions. So if CVT are considered inferior to automatics due to "failure" due to need for maintenance, then manual transmissions are the same way.
>>
>>17434758
>manual needs more maintenance than automatic

wait, wat
>>
File: TS330photo primary__ra_p.jpg (23KB, 600x240px) Image search: [Google]
TS330photo primary__ra_p.jpg
23KB, 600x240px
>>17433728
>>17433789
Thanks for your help. I think I found the bit that's supposed to need replacement. Goes into the radiator of course.
>>
am i stupid if i want a 60-70's car as my first car?
>>
>>17433298

>Warranty expired
>2006 Focus

No shit. But thanks dude.
>>
>>17435075
>avg. trans oil change interval is 30-40K miles
>avg ATF change is 50-60K miles
he's not wrong you know
>>
File: Untitled.png (9KB, 768x768px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
9KB, 768x768px
my car has a v6. i want to v8 swap it with a 350/383 sbc or 5.3/5.7 ls (or truck equivalent). let me say this isnt a 13 year olds I WANT A 9000HP SUPRA WITH TWO HELLCAT ENGINES BACK TO BACK pipe dream, im actually looking for a donor car as we speak. anyway, the stock exhaust converges immediately out of the manifold, like the crossover pipe goes over the bellhousing 2 inches from the block immediately. of course this means the bumper has only 1 cutout. my plan is to run a separate per bank back to the exit where they will converge into a 2 in 2 out muffler. my only concern is if the unequal length pipes will cause the engine to sound different or weird. would something like this cause a significant change in note?
>of course the mockups dont account for actual fitment and routing, its just a simplistic representation
>>
>>17435288
if you can wrench and the vehicle you want is in decent shape
it should be fine

Pr/o/s
>exempt from most emissions
>simple to repair
>made from actual steel and not plastics glued with birdshit
C/o/ns
>parts will be hard to find/expensive
>no/rare junkyard examples to repair body damage
>things will break more often than a newer vehicle, expect constant weekend wrenching
>>
>>17417755
anyone have initial d MEGAs? downloading from some streaming site running on 100kbps is tiring
>>
File: 240_wew_lad.jpg (2MB, 3803x2847px) Image search: [Google]
240_wew_lad.jpg
2MB, 3803x2847px
still waiting for OP to deliver
>>
>>17435471
just torrent it if u have the space
>>
File: 1267686951550.png (161KB, 363x274px) Image search: [Google]
1267686951550.png
161KB, 363x274px
I want a specific engine for parts but I can't find it nearby. I've checked junkyards and CL, the only vehicles with the matching engine are outside my price range, I want JUST the engine, or parts from it.

There's an ebay junk seller offering one for $300, it's not the whole thing but it's got all the pieces I want and he claims it's got 149k miles on it. How bad of an idea is it to buy most of an engine from ebay, sight-unseen, and have it shipped to me?
>>
>>17435532
ask the seller if it ran when pulled, but is still a little shady buying random parts from the hypernets

call a salvage yard, you can probably get a whole engine pulled and palletized for around that price with a month long warranty
shipping might be expensive tho, so if you can try to pick it up
Protip: if they know you're trying to put it in a car for transport they will work with you
by putting it on a half pallet and saran wrapping it real good
>>
>>17435437

Neato

The manual cars I've owned have never mentioned transaxle fluid intervals
>>
>>17435669
>manufacturer never mentioned it
they never do lel
http://www.cartalk.com/content/service-your-car-14
>Manual: Most manufacturers recommend that manual transmission fluid be changed every 30,000 to 60,000 miles. Under heavy-duty use, some manufacturers suggest changing transmission fluid every 15,000 miles.

>Automatic: Service intervals for an automatic transmission vary from every 30,000 miles ... to never. The typical service interval is 60,000 to 100,000 miles. Changing it more often does no harm.
>>
>>17435709
Well, I knew about the autos - the couple I have say 50k...I guess I could do manual fluid too, but the dipstick is a pain in the ass to get to in my cars
>>
File: I_am_the_bat_track.jpg (52KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
I_am_the_bat_track.jpg
52KB, 600x450px
>>17435737
protip: manuals usually have a drain bolt underneath AND a filler bolt on the side
so u gon' need several feet of surgical tubing or a fluid pump
>inb4 what is fluid pump?
>https://www.amazon.com/Plews-55001-Lubrimatic-Standard-Bottles/dp/B000BQW5LK
>>
File: 1360875513890.jpg (105KB, 636x960px) Image search: [Google]
1360875513890.jpg
105KB, 636x960px
>>17435737
>>17435709
>tfw have an automatic with 276,000 miles and it's never had the fluid changed
>wouldn't know if it's causing problems cause the engine runs like shit anyway and was already underpowered when it was brand new
>>
File: ncroau5xweiy.jpg (47KB, 460x566px) Image search: [Google]
ncroau5xweiy.jpg
47KB, 460x566px
I wil be out of the country for 2 months my 2006 corolla will be sitting there should i really find someone to ignite the car once in a while or 2 months its just ok for it to sit there? Its in very good condition only 11500 km
>>
>>17435813
11500 km * sorry im stupid
>>
why do delivery drivers beat the shit out of their rides?

>see fedex guy speeding into parking lot
>reverse lights on while still going 5 MPH forward
>CLUNK
>burns rubber backing up against the curb
>rushes out to refill his BIG GULP
>slides back into the drivers seat
>takes off like an officer sitting idle on the highway trying to pull over a speeding corvette
>>
>>17435813
for 2 months I would, but then again im a freak about car maintenance
>>
File: um27uc2wi3ny.jpg (63KB, 720x719px) Image search: [Google]
um27uc2wi3ny.jpg
63KB, 720x719px
>>17435813
Fuck 115000 km *
>>
File: not_going_well.png (116KB, 448x352px) Image search: [Google]
not_going_well.png
116KB, 448x352px
>>17435773
>276,000 miles
>mfw never had the fluid changed
if it's black u should change it
>>
>>17435445
It really shouldn't affect the note much
>>
File: 1474869959527.jpg (61KB, 423x951px) Image search: [Google]
1474869959527.jpg
61KB, 423x951px
>>17435822
they get paid to make deliveries on time not maintenance the vehicles
also stay the fuck away from them
they are absolute hoons with little regard for life
>>
>>17435855
I've heard that at this level of abuse, the friction material that makes it work could be almost entirely removed from the clutch discs or whatever (idk how it works) and it's now just floating around in the fluid. If I drain or flush it, the transmission would then require a rebuild to work at all. But leaving it as-is produces enough friction for it to get by.
>>
>>17435880
>>17435822
I knew a guy in highschool who went on to become a fedex driver, complete waste of oxygen. He drives like a lunatic and beats the absolute shit out of his truck and actually brags about how much work the maintenance people have to do to fix it.
>>
File: 1439579640998.jpg (157KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
1439579640998.jpg
157KB, 1440x900px
>>17435895
first off, I am a huge fan of if it ain't broke don't fix it
that said, this this is a highly contentious point on /o/
I would definitely advise against a flush
this could push the sludge into bad places and you really will need a new trans

but a drain and refill or even a filter replacement and magnet cleaning could do wonders
>needs a semi-metallic sludge to function instead of clean fluid
i've heard this before and it still makes no sense, the heavy bits will float to the bottom and stick to the magnets while the lighter more abrasive particles continue to fuck your shit up
also a drain/refill won't remove all those bits, so your sludge is safe AND you'll have new fluid with fancy additives
>>
>>17435909
Can you even dagumi in a delivery truck? It would be retarded if the maintenance was just dumb shit rather than wear from driving fast.
>>
>>17435987
It's not just wear from driving fast, he hops curbs and aims for potholes and backs into concrete posts and shit. Regular suspension work. Crude body repairs to keep up appearances. I guess he's friends with his boss which explains why he hasn't been fired yet.
>>
>>17435559
That's the thing, no salvage yard nearby has the engine I want. I think everyone local knows what it's worth and picked them clean because everyone around here is a redneck looking for cheap power.

The ebay guy has pretty good ratings and many listings, it's a huge yard somewhere in PA. How the fuck would freight shipping it to me work? Does the guy have some kind of equipment on his truck to lower it onto my driveway? Is he expecting me to help with a crane or pallet lift or something?
>>
What the hell is a canbus pro error cancelling kit? Do I need to get it if I'm ordering new headlights?
>>
>>17436252
>no salvage yards have it
look further, check big cities, make it part of a roadtrip
>how does freight shipping work
ask the truckerfags, but in a nutshell like slow UPS
>does guy have equipment?
yes, a pallet jack and a hydraulic lift gate
>does he expect help?
no, only for you to sign here plz and have a place to put it
>inspect for damage before sign
>>
Hey /o/

Just sprung a big coolant leak from the top half off my radiator.

Im about to tear into the car, but I was wondering how to test if the radiator is clogged.

Any quick tips?
>>
does your daily driver have with or without SRS airbag?
>>
>>17422010
ewww what the fuck is that thing?
>>
File: porsche-Performance.jpg (97KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
porsche-Performance.jpg
97KB, 800x600px
How do I learn more about cars? When I watch car shows on YouTube, I don't really have any idea what people mean when they start talking about all the upgrades they've done to their car and what all the numbers and phrases mean. How do I get good?
>>
>>17436579
bung one end
and tear up a bike inner tube to get a big patch of rubber with a schrader valve;
ziptie to non-bunged end
use bike pump to give a few psi,
then use soapy water or submerge in large basin of water to find leak
t. used this to test an intercooelr and a radiator
>>
>>17435813
Parasitic drains can kill the battery in 2 months. Don't know how much security or computer resetting you need if you disconnect the battery for that long a time.
>>
>>17434582
Best solution to this? What service would this be called if I wanted it to be fixed at my local shop?
>>
>>17436579
wait i am a retarded, just use a hose in the intake
>>
What would be considered "lowballing" on a $6000 asking price
>>
>>17436635
Depends on the car and condition.
>>
>>17436599
>>17436606

I actually just found the crack, but Ill be filing this away for later use. Thanks anon.
>>
>>17436635
more than 20% is insulting
>>
File: Clamp.jpg (129KB, 1309x1274px) Image search: [Google]
Clamp.jpg
129KB, 1309x1274px
>>17417755
I am putting a cat back on my car. Ordered cat and it's diameter is about 1/8 or maybe a little more than the exhaust pipe(both should be 2.5 inch). These butt clamps should compensate for that difference fine right?
>>
13b rotary in Jeep grand cherokee, why or why not?
>>
>>17436745
Light compact sports car engine in a vehicle that deserves the 4.0 I6 or a V8. If you can manage to get a turbo and make it properly high-strung and putting out power, it would be neat for the concept.
>>
How to tighten a drive belt by feel/without that stupid tool?
>>
>>17436595
Go to wikipedia and read about internal combustion engines. That is a good start, watch the diagram of the engine working. Then maybe read about manual transmissions. These things are simple to understand and will give you a good footing to start from.
>>
What fits this criteria:
- has enough head and leg room for a 6'8" behemoth
- can store a Moonlander XXL bike
- looks nice
- is less than $10,000
- gas mileage that isn't anus

I'd prefer a crossover of some sort, but a truck would be fine too
>>
Trying to get and old motorcycle to run
>Has spark and new plugs (verified outside of engine with healthy powerful spark)
>Has compression (don't have a gauge but if I try to seal the spark plug hole with my thumb it blows by easily)
>Using starting fluid so fuel should be good
>air should be good, no obstructions or filter
>Coil is firing a little over top dead center so timing should be good
I noticed that the cranking will slow down when I spray in starting fluid and speed back up like it's gonna go but doesn't as it pumps it out.
>>
>>17437661
>pumps it out
how long are you spraying?
if a fluid is coming out of the exhaust you're using too much
and i would worry about a bent piston rod
>>
>>17437904
a couple seconds into the airbox (no filter) at a time. its not coming out liquid, i mean when it works all of the ether spray out of the intake after a few seconds of cranking.
>>
>>17436148
That's the problem with some empoyees. They are secretly toxic to the company and their co-workers. They smile up front, and do these bad things when they think no one sees them.

If he worked for you, he'd probably do the same asshole trolling of his company's resources.
>>
>>17437912
you had me worried when you described it as "pump"
still that may be too much spray for a small engine, especially if u say it bogs down
try a second
>>
>>17437955
its a 400cc inline 2 so its not really tiny. ive tried less and more and i cant get it to fire at all.
>>
>>17437963
smaller than a car engine is what I meant
unless specialty motorcycle starter the instructions on can will be for normies with cars
maybe check gap/make it bigger?
have u asked one of the bike threads?
>>
>>17437986
ive lowered the gap down to .020 on both and i have spark lights hooked up so im getting a consistent spark every cycle.
no i just gave up on it for the day when i posted originally.
>>
>>17437989
>lowered gap
why?
i'd give it more gap, bigger spark and more chance to ignite
only downside is increased electrode wear
>>
>>17438000
i dunno i just wanted to make sure it wouldnt get blown out from having too much gap
>>
File: 1479677125067.jpg (132KB, 694x530px) Image search: [Google]
1479677125067.jpg
132KB, 694x530px
>>17438015
>make sure it wouldn't get blown out
>from having too much gap
wat
lel i think you'll be okay, just re-gap to spec or a little bigger and try again
also is it carbed? have you cleaned/adjusted it?
what is it?
>>
is Spokane, WA a nice place to live
>>
>>17418737
Preludes are heavy, but make up for it in more comfort and a tighter ride compared to the civic.

H22's are very nice, I suggest on not doing any bolt ons and just save up for a turbo or suspension work. The motor can take boost on stock internals easily.

Preludes are pretty common too so finding interior bits shouldn't be too hard at a local junkyard or ebay.

I think its a girls car.
>>
>change sparkplugs on my ecobox
>glance at the box, read 90Nm
>torque it to spec, wonder why it keeps spinning, think maybe the washers crush
>fast forward 2 years/ 40k later
>cleaning basement, come across old box of sparkplugs, re-read instructions
>it actually says 90degree, 23Nm
>start sweating profusely

Well now that I was stupid enough to strip every thread of the head, how much will rethreading cost me (in hours)? I don't know if I should just buy a used head for about 300€ off of eBay and have a shop put it in for me.
>>
File: Capture.png (254KB, 1248x871px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
254KB, 1248x871px
I was working on my 88 mr2 and had to disconnect a few of the lines. When I consulted the BGB to makes sure I plugged them back in right I realized that quite a few of them where either connected to the wrong place or missing entirely. What gives? Is there a reason why the previous owner would do this or was it no doubt just a fuck up on their part? I ask because this car has failed emissions for years now and I'm wondering if this is the problem and it's just that no mechanic has cared enough to check these against what they're supposed to be like. Also could this be a cause of overheating?
>>
>>17418737
Fantastic car especially in manual.. stay away from auto. preludeonline.com if you got questions that this four chin water buffalo worshipping site cant answer.
only worthy mods: upper and lower tie bar, the ODB2 will just detune your mods every time... less you want to pull it every time.
>>
>>17438154
Let me tell you about spokane

>wake up to the sound of a straight piped V8 trucc rolling down the street and the smell of weed
>eat breakfast while doing douchesnozzles on bikes with loud ass pipes take advantage of zero traffic to redline down a main road
>probably the same ones that illegally split past me because they didn't want to be behind 3 cars
>smell of weed wafts in through the window
>nearly die driving from my house because people think every road with corners is a track and goes 40-50 instead of the speed limit - 30, and get mad at you if you don't take the five consecutive hairpin turns like a madman
>get illegally passed by a fucking corolla in the bike lane.
>make it to work alive
>entire office smells like weed
>drive to the one good grocery store in the entire city before going home
>take a shortcut around a backed up light
>stanced miata nearly drifts into me passing on a double yellow and tears down the road
>oh yes this is a residential road intersected by multiple driveways
>go shopping
>store smells like weed
>go home
>smoke weed
>>
What can I use to fill holes in the boot where the po mounted a wing
>>
>>17438417
a more tasteful spoiler
>>
>>17435319
>Ford Focus
The VIN you gave me, JT2MA67L1D0047554, is for a 1983 Toyota Celica.
>>
File: [email protected] (102KB, 1200x899px) Image search: [Google]
58381070-770-0@2X.jpg
102KB, 1200x899px
Are there any roadster 2 seat types cars like the 1985 Mercedes-Benz 380SL that have a large not-backeat-pseudo-trunk thing?
>>
Why is the GT500 slower than the GT350?
>>
>>17438586

it's lighter
>>
Why hasn't there been an ecoboost v6 mustang?
>>
>>17438643
V8 sales would plummet
>>
>>17423000

>it hurts to live
>>
>>17438655
but why should that matter if they are still selling mustangs?
>>
the starter on my car apparently died while at advanced auto parts. I have a mechanic who was supposed to meet me there but hes not picking up and I dont want my car towed. Can I replace this myself easily without experience doing this.
2003 camry xle if it helps
>>
File: 2016-12-08.png (197KB, 512x286px) Image search: [Google]
2016-12-08.png
197KB, 512x286px
>>17438222
>mfw that story
all is not lost an/o/n as this happens fairly regularly to aluminum heads
check this shit out
>http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a1350/4212608/
and now i saved you 300 yuropbuxxx
>>17438322
I've seen shops break vacuum lines then replace it with a fuel line or just cap it off hoping the owner won't notice
so not giving any fucks is entirely plausible
probably not the reason for your overheat, check/replace thermostat
>>
>>17439414
super easy, u don't even need to raise vehicle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aybblEEdfZQ
>need 10, 12, & 14mm sockets
>>
File: asserting dominance.jpg (130KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
asserting dominance.jpg
130KB, 720x720px
>>17423000
>>17438656
>trips of truth
>not even check'd
>>
Trade my 84 mk2 supra for a 85 300zx?

Why or why not?

They're pretty much in the same condition, I'm just ready to drive something else after restoring my supra
>>
File: 1476474154647.jpg (27KB, 500x239px) Image search: [Google]
1476474154647.jpg
27KB, 500x239px
>>17438396
>doesn't smoke weed all day
it's like you a little babby
also 100% more based than oregon
>>
>>17436850
Please respond
>>
File: IMAG0452.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0452.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
>>17439996
Mine
>>
is a manuel transmission better than a manual one? My local dealer says I have a manual and it rattles when in neutral.
>>
File: 00l0l_j95YiaO2ku7_600x450.jpg (47KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00l0l_j95YiaO2ku7_600x450.jpg
47KB, 600x450px
>>17440064
VS his
>>
WHERE IS THE TOYOTA GENERAL
>>
>>17440045
>doesn't smoke weed
More and more stores are selling it at $69 per ounce now. And that's for real weed and not some scammy seller that diluted it and then added some poison herbicide spray so that the naive customers feel "something" and are fooled into thinking it is 100% weed.
>>
How much to get carbon fiber shit for my car? Like center console, dash, pillars, doors...?

Worth it if I know I'll never find good condition interior parts?
>>
>>17440072
>>17440064
His is an ugly riced out piece of shit. Yours looks pretty good.
>>
File: 1474602639645.jpg (95KB, 966x641px) Image search: [Google]
1474602639645.jpg
95KB, 966x641px
>>17440259
>How much to get carbon fiber shit for my car?

You'd make more striking and memorable changes to your car by changing the headliner and the fabric on the visors.
>>
>>17440505
This is good feedback

It's just that in my car I cannot find a replacement dash or courtesy light, I wonder if I do custom for panels, can I get custom lights as well?
>>
File: 1474602926563.jpg (280KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
1474602926563.jpg
280KB, 2048x1366px
>>17440505
Fabric from one of those fabric shops.
>>
Is it possible to get the sun damage to match the rest of the door panel without replacing it?
>>
>let wife borrow my new car, only 3 weeks old
>she gets home, comes into driveway, takes half the paint off the front bumper corner in the process
>I'm supposed to be ok with this
>it's just the paint I didn't dent it
How to I kill someone in their sleep and make it look like an accident anons?
>>
>>17440654
>it's just the baby's skin is dark everything's all right
As long as you don't keep getting excuses for everything. And it should be verified the paint was taken off in your driveway. If it was taken off as a hit and run, that would be a different problem if someone was hunting for a car that looked like yours with paint missing from the front bumper corner due to sloppy backing out of a parking spot.
>>
What are the real world differences between a 17'' wheel and an 18'' wheel?

Is one inherently better than the other?
>>
>>17441563
about one inch
>>
>>17441563
Aside from aesthetics, a infinitesimal bump in torque at the expensive of top speed, and increase in the price per tire pretty much nothing.
>>
>>17438501
Not too many to my knowledge, was the back seat optional on those models or something?

Because It literally looks it about as much space as any other 2x2 convertible has with its back seats but with no seats.

my E30 cabrio probably has less space for people back there, I'll probably end up pulling the seats fitting a parcel shelf + rollover bar mounts back there.
>>
>>17436605
Would be called an engine flush, but the only way to really know if that's what's your issue is, is doing a head job.

Are you sure its not your oil pressure sensor that's lighting up? Do you have an oil pressure gauge? Becuase that's what it sounds like its doing, the sensor see's no pressure but once you turn the engine over it builds sufficient pressure.

>>17436490
are you replacing the bulbs or putting HID's? What car do you have? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9HuORAzQOg
>>
>>17441563
>What are the real world differences between a 17'' wheel and an 18'' wheel?
It depends on whether or not the car was designed for it or not. Just because you can fit an 18 and still have full turn radius without rubbing doesn't mean you should. That's because your car might have too small a sidewall in order to equip that 18. I see a lot of cars with wheel wells designed for 16 but people fit in 18 and the sidewalls are tiny.

If your roads are all in good to great condition and there are no potholes on any freeway, then you can go 17 or 18 on your car. But if you have potholes and terrifically bumpy or lumpy roads, that 18 might not be a choice. All bumps and even steep slopes from those small 20 inch wide "not a pothole" depressions in the road compress the tire toward the rim. Potholes can compress it all the way to the rim resulting in a possible bruise to the belts' bonding to the rubber carcass. Thus, the 17 will give you a bit more ability to take on potholes and bumps than an 18 in cars that were not designed for 18 from the very beginning.
>>
>>17436605
>Best solution to this?
You can dissolve away the stuff coating oil passages with full synthetic high detergency oils like Pennzoil Platinum ULTRA. Full synth doesn't sludge up anywhere as much as conventional does. If you change the oil at home, switching to full synthetic is not that expensive if you buy the 5 quart jugs at walmart for $24. It's way cheaper than buying one quart bottles.

What you can do is simply switch to full synth oil instead of that conventional pennzoil you currently use. PlatPlusUltra is a bit hard to find though since it was Pennzoil's limited production experiment in juicing up their platinum oil with more additives and detergent. They've collected enough data from their oil change centers for it. You see a similar variation with Mobil1 Annual Protection full synth oil. I guess that it is their regular mobil1 synth that was juiced up with more detergent and TBN so that it could go for a longer interval between changes.

If you have a sludgey engine, then as that other post said, an engine flush is appropriate. Without a flush, you don't want to clean too much too fast because all the loosened up sludge plugs up the oil filter. That increased pressure inside the filter causes the bypass valve to open which basically means it is not filtering that oil.

Anyways, you haven't furnished info about the oil condition, change intervals or anything. You haven't tried looking inside with a scope. Nor have you retained any oil filters and opened them to look for sludge. So all we can do here is guess based upon what you said originally.
>>
>>17441793
He said that his pressure was up to 80 at the beginning and then it dropped to 40 when the oil became hot.
>>
File: 1473733104209.gif (499KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1473733104209.gif
499KB, 960x720px
Looking to get into dirt biking on sand dunes, have only ever ridden Quads/ATVs and my FJ off-road, never a 2-wheelers.
What bike should I get for starting off? Any tips to get me started?
>>
>>17440551
>I unironically like this a lot
>>
>>17440061
>>17436850
PLEASE FUCKING RESPOND GUYS
>>
File: extra40HP.png (364KB, 777x459px) Image search: [Google]
extra40HP.png
364KB, 777x459px
I don't have a question, or anything to say really, I just wanted to share this.

I wonder how much this is gonna cost me.
>>
>>17442282
It'll cost you nothing unless you get tagged by the cops for noise or its time for the emissions check
>>
Am I stupid for wanting to put a turbo in my 2014 V6 Mustang (I know, I know, V6).
>>
>>17442308
Things you can do before you tarbo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnBkj96ZJ7I

If you choose to tarbo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C_WZ4nqzk08

But check your cars specific niche forums and see what experienced people have to say first.
>>
>>17440637
Plastic paint.
>>
>>17422010

is that some sort of weird dodge stratus?
>>
>>17442256
>what is the internet?
https://www.howacarworks.com/electrical-systems/checking-adjusting-and-refitting-drive-belts
>use your fucking eyes and look at your accessories, see if you can adjust them
>>
File: 1439841047624.png (327KB, 500x529px) Image search: [Google]
1439841047624.png
327KB, 500x529px
>>17442007
>want to do this to my wifes car
>already have material printed
>only one hurdle
>she is too lazy to clean her car out
so close to just taking the material and installing in my car
it's been literally two years, lazy cunt
>>
>>17442810
Install it in your car. Hmm, but she might complain anyways saying it doesn't matter how much trash is in her car, you can just install it anyways while sitting or stepping on the trash. The trash doesn't physically stop you, only your squeamishness and your lack of love for her. Or so she could say.
>>
>>17442379
>3.73 gears and tires
Seems like a good idea. I know I should get a tune for higher octane as well.
Still worried with doing anything to the car due to being under warranty still and @ only 15k miles currently.fug.
>>
>>17441793
Oil Pressure Gauge is what is showing 80, before fading down to 40-45

Low Oil is the light I have coming on. It will fade if I cycle the ignition without starting the car, but if I start with it still on it will not disappear unless I restart the car.
>>
File: 1474698506174.jpg (828KB, 2649x3533px) Image search: [Google]
1474698506174.jpg
828KB, 2649x3533px
My mk1 mr2 has a small vacuum leak that I can't place near the throttle body. What's the worst that can happen if I ignore it?
>>
when rev-match downshifting, do you guys just drop the clutch or ease into it somewhat?
Feels like I'm nursing it a bit on the way up.
>tfw slow shifts :(
>>
>>17443407
what is the point of rev-matching if you have to ease on the clutch?
>>
vin check anyone please

1FTFX1CF3DKD71837
>>
make new
>>
>>17444376

here you go
>>17444823
>>
File: 1479450240826.gif (1000KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1479450240826.gif
1000KB, 500x281px
>>17443053
nigga it's a wagon i need space to move
and i was referring to the excessive pile of whatever the fuck women feel they need to take with them
>not actual trash
>driving to work, better bring three boxes of tampons
>plus toilet paper and a roll of paper towels!
>and camping gear!
>and my winter coat!
>and an extra change of clothes!
100% not exaggerating, all that is in her car now plus probably some framed art
t. only has tools and a change of clothes in his wagon
Thread posts: 317
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.