[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trackday Tips

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: njmp-lightning-track-map.png (117KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
njmp-lightning-track-map.png
117KB, 800x400px
I am going to my first track day tomorrow. Did full maintenance on my car and got my SA2015 helmet with GoPro ready. Any tips?
>>
i would get high temp brake fluid. it makes a difference. mine is good for 500 degrees, or so the bottle said
>>
Been around racing and track events for quite a while now, these are some of the most important things I've learned.

1. Whatever was tight is now loose and whatever was loose has fallen off. Give your car a once over after every session and torque your lugs before the next out.
2. Drain the bladder, fill the tank. You're going to burn more calories than you think, and you'll need to replenish them between sessions. Same goes for water. I try to have a bottle waiting after every session. Also have bananas if you can, the potassium really helps.
3. Keep an eye on your brakes. If you feel your pedal getting long don't be afraid to bleed them between sessions. As the previous anon said high temp fluid will help, but it isn't a necessity.
4. Keep an eye out for the cars around you, chances are theres going to be plenty of cars passing you and being aware of where they are makes for a safe, smooth point-by.
5. Slow is smooth and smooth is fast. If it's your first event take it easy and really learn the track. Once you can be smooth through every corner at an intermediate pace is when you can try to push a little harder. If you can drive the track in a video game before hand it will pay dividends as you can focus on finding the flow of the track rather than just determining where it goes.

Feel free to take any of this advice or leave it. After all I can't prove I'm anymore than a guy posting to a Mogolian blanket weaving forum.
>>
fast in fast out
>>
just pretend you're riding around a huge dick
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiVCbMlXxNM
>>
>>17411414
good advice, thanks! i do have high temp brake fluid with fresh pads and rotors. ill check my lugs after each run. not sure if ill have time to go buy bananas though.
>>
File: Censored.png (10KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
Censored.png
10KB, 800x400px
>>17411083
This is a blue board anon, i fixed it for you
>>
How does getting to race on local tracks work exactly? Do you just pay and they let you race with certain safety restrictions, or do you have to be a member of some organization, etc.?
>>
>>17411861
for me they just let you race once you preregister and pay.

As for track days in my limited experience:
>approach your limit from below, you dont want to go snap oversteering in first corner like I did
>arrive with full stomach and full tank. Fuck benchracing autists who say you need just enough fuel for 0.1 laps
>dont refill at track, find a gas station as it is cheaper and youll burn a lot of fuel
>Keep yourself stocked with water. I also reccomend bringing an air pump of sorts, manometer and basic tools.
>first few events focus on getting experience, get people to ride along with you or ride along others to learn the track.
>go around and be friendly to others, go smoke or snack with people. You might get some insider info and new aquintances.
>>
bump so anon gets his tips and we have one less benchracer and 3 (three!) actual racers.
>>
>>17411861
>>17414899
trackday != racing
>>
familiarize yourself with the track first, learn first where the flag stands are and pay attention to them, then learn your car

be sure to watch your temp gauge too, if you're starting to overheat you'll need to run a cooldown lap
>>
>>17411083
Cars are not go karts, so erase any memory aside from track observation you have.

1. Cars have suspension and that means traction. Do not stab the throttle unless you're in the togue. Cars can carry in a lot speed and don't require 100% when you come off the brakes. Treat your throttle pedal as a slide valve carburetor, feed your throttle progressively as you begin to exit the corner. Avoid coasting, you're either braking or on throttle.

2. KEEP TRACK GEOMETRY IN MIND
Corners may be the same but track surface will not be. You do not want to load the suspension with any bumps if you don't need to. Walk the track and see where any obstructions may pose a threat.

3. Fruits are important, but stay away from the heavy foods. You will have no AC and the window down, you're gonna get soaked. Salads and fish meals are great lunch options.

4. Bring a tent or borrow someone's, the sun is hot and will drain you even when you sit around.

5. Chalk your tires. Get chalk and draw a line on all four tires, you will physically be able to see how the tires are wearing and you can see whether you're pushing too hard or not hard enough. Plus you can check tire pressure depending on how the chalk wears and its location.

6. Go early
Tracks heat up rendering lap times and physical performance worst. Heat is the enemy, go early and you won't have to worry about dying.

7. Do not worry about getting in people's way. If you're on the straight they'll pass you, people might dive bomb you in the corners but stick to the line you practice. You do not need to go wide bc you're a novice.
>>
File: thatguy.jpg (292KB, 1000x750px) Image search: [Google]
thatguy.jpg
292KB, 1000x750px
>>17411414
>>17412927
good advice
>>17411861
some are just pay, usually unique to each track. More often road course racing is sanctioned by an organization (NASA, SCCA, etc.) so you would need to attend the license school weekend, which include your first 2 rookie races. There are also schools like bondurant, roos, etc. that after the long course you can apply to the other organizations for a license.

OP the only tip i would add to the list other than going over your car a few times before leaving (pads, fluids, oil change, etc.) is to bring a hat, sunscreen, chair, cooler, and a pop up tent if you have one. take everything out of your car that can move around and leave it at home, take your spare out at the track if you have one. Take along a spare can of brake fluid and oil just in case.

I work at a track and am an instructor with several groups. You typically won't beat up your car very much on your first weekend out, but it is wise to be prepared so if you do boil your fluid for example you'll only miss a session rather than the rest of that day. Lastly, don't be like pic related and lie about your experience just to drive solo. If they offer instructors USE THEM.
>>
>>17415057
>If they offer instructors USE THEM
Best advice yet.

Op you're going to suck but that's okay. Try to focus on learning and not on racing the other guys or lap times. First trackday is a lesson in humility.
>>
OP here, finished 3 of 4 lap sessions. all great advice so far. the track only allows passing for advanced groups, so beginner groups all stay in order. no ride alongs allowed, and instructors dont ride along, which is a bummer. trying to get my lines smooth and hit apexs but some turns are tricky. lots of elevation changes so no visibility beyond some turns. max ive hit is 100mph on straight away. they recommend not shifting gears for beginners so ive been in staying in 4th.
>>
>>17411808
You DID brake in those new pads and rotors, right?
>>
>>17415440
yup, installed them a month ago and broke them in. theyre not brand new, but "almost" new?

got to ride passenger in pace car for another group, was way more instructive than classroom lecture.
>>
>>17415429
Nice to hear Op I've been wanting to do a track day at my nearest track the regulations are almost exactly like yours for beginners but my biggest hold back for not going is that I have a shitbox that I feel would hold back cars and would be too slow
>>
>>17411083
Turn 1 is terrifying at first because it drops off over a crest and is sort of blind.

I had the most trouble with turn 7 because I couldn't brake hard enough, turned out to be a leaky master cylinder (LOL).

Go slow at first, listen to your instructor, and gradually build speed throughout the day. Remember that accidents tend to happen at the end of the day with overconfidence, and don't let yourself be that guy. It's your first time, you are not expected to shatter Ayrton Senna's records.
>>
>>17416191
just hang in the rear of the group and take ur time. as long as shitbox is roadworthy u should try it. dont need a supercar to learn on a track, mastery of braking and turning will defeat raw hp.
>>
>>17411083
>tfw the closest I'll ever get to a track day is a racing wheel for my computer because nobody cares about actually tracking their cars here so there aren't any race tracks less than like 6 hours away, and then that one is for bikes exclusively
>>
>>17411414
but who the fuck are you, really???
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.