[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Been backpacking for a year and now i'm back in my apartment

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Isthisthereallife.jpg (364KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Isthisthereallife.jpg
364KB, 1920x1080px
Been backpacking for a year and now i'm back in my apartment in the Netherlands. Got a decent stable job but im really missing the mobility of the travelling life, the ability to just pick up everything you have and go somewhere else.

So i decided to buy and live in a stealth camper and rent out my apartment.
Been looking for vans already but have a hard time deciding which brand/model to go for.
Im aiming to spend about 9k euros on the the van and another 5k on the rebuilt, i plan to buy a low mileage 2007- 2012 vehicle.

Been gathering information already...just wondering what my favourite time waste has to say about it.

So far im leaning towards a MB sprinter/ VW Crafter, but other euro vans like the Renault Master, Fiat Ducato and Ford Transit are all options too.

I would really appreciate the imput of any van dwellers/ drivers/ mechanics/ fleet managers
>>
>>17397655
just buy a sprinter or VW, but stay away from that fucking renault, fiat and ford trash. especially from the renault and fiat trash.
>>
File: ferd campy.jpg (66KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
ferd campy.jpg
66KB, 800x600px
>>17397708

Transit trash too? they are everywhere here in Europe...so i figured parts are everywhere/cheap too
>>
Although it might be different from the car business

wouldnt i be paying premium for Benz Sprinter parts compared to say a Transit?
>>
>>17397730
Transits are good, I even drift with mine from 1995
>>
Been looking into this too but purely out of.. interest I guess.

In the netherlands you pay a tax based on vehicle weight. Keep that in mind when looking for a vehicle and decide whether you want to go for a petrol or diesel as you pay extra tax on a diesel vehicle.

Vehicles below are based on our market and what is available here on our second hand market.

heavy weight:
ford transit
volkswagen transporter
volkswagen crafter
mercedes sprinter
peugeot boxer
fiat ducato
nissan primastar / opel vivaro

medium weight:
ford tourneo connect
peugeot expert

light weight:
opel combo tour
volkswagen caddy
peugeot partner mpv

You might also want to take a look at disability vehicles, they go for dirt cheap because nobody wants them.

Good luck.
>>
File: Peugy Boxo.jpg (127KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Peugy Boxo.jpg
127KB, 1024x768px
>>17397817

Going for a heavyweight diesel with atleast a higher ceiling and extended cargo space (L2H2).
I intend to re-register it as a camper, cutting tax expenses by about 60%.

Good tip, didnt check for disability vehicles yet
>>
>>17397790

Are they easy to do basic maintenance on?
>>
>>17397655
What you need to do is buy yourself a van that is already registered as a camper. That will cut a big chunk of your road tax. I would also suggest looking into LPG as your main fuel. Driving a camper on LPG gives you twice the radius because you can drive on both petrol and LPG depending on the availability of either. It is also lower in roadtax than diesel. Most LPG campers you're gonna find will be US vans (Chevy, Dodge, Ford).
>>
>>17397730
im the guy you replied too, all meming aside, i think you will be perfectly fine if you get a transit in good condition.

but, remember, this goes for all vehicles you buy: lurk the forums in case there are any model years you should avoid.
>>
>>17398209

Found a bargain camper on LPG in a government auction a couple weeks ago. Decided to not bid because it wasn't stealthy enough; i want to be able to park it in a random European suburb and sleep in it without attracting much attention.
(which isnt legal in most of Europe)

I like the looks of the Ford E-series however not sure about the parts availability here, so decided to stick with vehicles that have been sold in great numbers here
>>
File: Iveci Dairu.jpg (463KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Iveci Dairu.jpg
463KB, 1600x1200px
>>17398429

lurked on the transit forums, the 2.2 tdci apparently suffers from injector clogging problems which can become fatal if it is ignored for too long. Definately a thing i will have tested before buying one.
>>
Where would you even park this thing? Like would you drive to a different location each day or something?
>>
>>17399006

Yes, i work in Amsterdam and Haarlem so id be going to work in my van. And after work i go do whatever i feel like and park the van somewhere close/comfortable for the night. Probably a different location each day.

I would also be going around Europe, mostly wild camping.
>>
Get an iveco daily, the iveco engines are indestructible, the rest of your van will have rotted away while your engine will keep up racking the kilometers
>>
>>17397655
There's a surprising burgervan community over here, so you could look into one of those and running it on LPG. Camper registration cuts taxes way down so LPG might actually be viable.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.