[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Squealing AC compressor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: bap-ac-compressor-g.jpg (148KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
bap-ac-compressor-g.jpg
148KB, 1000x1000px
Help bros.

When I engage the AC compressor, it squeals like mad. I am trying to figure out if it's the compressor or serpentine belt.

It almost sounds like a metal screeching, but I'm not sure. Also I should note, it's not a periodic sound, as in "squeak squeak squeak", it's more of a constant "REEEEEEEEEEE"

I can see the compressor rotating. When the car is off, I can rotate the clutch/compressor with my hand. This is after problems with refrigerant leaking/blowing hot air. I added refrigerant myself using one of those cheap DIY cans. I didn't have a proper pressure gauge, just the cheap gauge on the can.

Should I spend money buying a proper gauge & vacuum pump?
>>
bumping for u OP
>>
>>17394552
Most modern PCMs can tell you if the A/C compressor is engaged or not. If it's only noisy when it's engaged, then it's the compressor clutch.

Also if it was completely out of coolant, you need to pull a vacuum before recharging it again.
>>
The compressor is probably dry after not being ran for a long while. It needs to be taken apart, cleaned and greased.

Don't expect to fix AC by merely adding refrigerant. It's supposed to be a closed system and cannot work otherwise. Fix the leak that cost you your previous refrigerant, and replace the dehydrator. Then it might work again.
>>
>>17394552
idler pulley.
>>
>>17394561
bless anon

>>17394563
hmm you make a good point, perhaps air leaked in when the system reached atm. But would that cause squealing?

I am thinking maybe I pumped in too much refrigerant and liquid has condensed. When I move the compressor it almost sounds like liquid is sloshing around. Is this the oil or something bad?
>>
File: 1497825905617-1311536785.jpg (3MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
1497825905617-1311536785.jpg
3MB, 5312x2988px
OP here. Just bought a manifold gauge and vacuum pump.

Can't run the ac because of the squealing. But at idle, I get 30psi low pressure, similar on high pressure side.

Does this rule out refrigerant overcharge?
>>
>>17394552
While the clutch is engaged, pour water over the belt. If the squealing goes away, it's the belt.

>>17394563
Some belts won't squeal at idle, typically flat rib belts, because the added load will cause slippage.
>>
Is your alternator also on the same belt?

Sometimes it's the alternator pulley because using the A/C puts load on the alternator, too.

It could also be that the tension is off on the belt or that one of the tensioner/idler pulleys is going bad.

Or, maybe something like coolant or oil has leaked onto the belt, causing slippage under load.
>>
Compressor is fucked from being contaminated when you didn't vac the system down properly. You've fucked the whole job
>>
>>17394552
Likley compressor clutch bearings are fucked.
>>
>>17395326
This. that cheap shit in the can usually has some kind of sealant which will duck up your compressor.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.