[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have a 1994 Chevy K1500. V6. Manual. ~175K miles. Transmission

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: chevrolet-k1500-pickup.jpg (27KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
chevrolet-k1500-pickup.jpg
27KB, 400x200px
I have a 1994 Chevy K1500. V6. Manual. ~175K miles. Transmission only has ~25,000 miles on it, but I learned how to drive stick with the new transmission so I'm sure it got a good amount of wear and tear. I'm good about changing the oil every ~5,000 miles or so. Recently changed the spark plugs and got a new catalytic convertor and the mechanic said the emissions were better than his Honda accord. I imagine that doesn't mean much, considering the catalytic convertor is brand new, but it is what it is. He also said mechanically everything seemed fine. Almost all of my driving is on the highway.

I live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere. Nearest mechanics are 30-70 miles away. Nearest car dealers are 70-130 miles away. I can't help but feel a bit worried about the truck's reliability, considering how old and how many miles it has. Are my worries rational? Should I have some money tucked away for a new car for when this dies?

Pic similar to mine.
>>
I thought this era of truck was still being made to last forever, I've seen trucks now still running at 400k, my 6 cyl car has 237k, if that hasn't fallen apart you should be ok to make it another year or two.

But in my case I still think about getting something newer every day, so I would bet your mind is already made up, flip a coin
>>
>>17378016
>But in my case I still think about getting something newer every day, so I would bet your mind is already made up, flip a coin

Nah. I mean, I plan on buying a newer sedan in 3-5 years, mainly because I want to be able to seat 4 people. I just dropped a good amount of money into a new AC compressor a few months ago, so I'd definitely like to keep it for as long as I can.

I was worried because I recently started going to the city a few times a month, which is 125 miles each way, so I'll be racking up a lot of miles. The idea of it breaking down in the middle of nowhere, having to get it towed to a mechanic, and then having to figure out how to get home just stresses me out a lot. If it can last that long, though, I'll definately hang onto it. Thanks!
>>
>>17377994
>94 1500
>4.3 god tier
>less than 200k

you're good man, the only thing known to go wrong on those 1500 models is the trans and rear ends, and i doubt a 4.3 would have the power to really tear it up.

If you want to get into preventative maintenance, you could get your timing chain, starter, and cooling system done

I suggest learning how to wrench on it yourself, a 4.3 in that big engine bay is a breeze to work on
>>
>>17378076
>4.3 god tier

I *hated* it when I lived in the hills. Now I live somewhere where it's pretty much flat and I'm so glad I don't have a bigger engine. Wish I didn't have to shift into 4th on the highway when going through the mountains, but meh.

Thanks for the reassuring comment. Definitely eased my worries a lot.
>>
My 94 C1500 had 253k on the clock when I sold it. Auto transmission was starting to slip and the 4.3 was leaking pretty bad. That truck owes me nothing though.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.