[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Flying to a Car

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: ConvairCar_Model_118-676x446[1].jpg (42KB, 676x446px) Image search: [Google]
ConvairCar_Model_118-676x446[1].jpg
42KB, 676x446px
Who here has flown out to buy a car? How did it go?

Trying to figure out how good (or not) of an idea it is to fly to a car, then drive it some 10 hours back home.
>>
I'm not sure why you would do that, unless the car is very hard to find and the cost of the plane ticket (and fuel) is less than the cost of delivery, or for some reason the car can't be delivered.
>>
>>17377975
>not checking a car out for yourself before buying it

you could be getting a heap
>>
>>17377975
>unless the car is very hard to find
Not very hard, but hard enough. There aren't many on the market. I was also able to get a pretty good price on this one.

>the cost of the plane ticket (and fuel) is less than the cost of delivery
Plane ticket is $350, so not bad compared to shipping the car. I also want to see the car in person before buying, and this way I don't need to wait for delivery either.
>>
>>17378005
What car?
>>
>>17378022
Alfa 4C, coupe
>>
>>17378027
>not getting a cayman s with a manual or a used 997
>>
Done it twice. It's easy peasy. Just get a PPI from someone reputable nearby. If the seller isn't down for a PPI then something is sketchy with it.
>>
>>17378074
But I like the 4C more

>>17378079
Probably worth noting it's a dealer car, still under warranty. How far did you go?
>>
>>17377946
I flew down to the bottom of the South Island to pick up my DC5. Cost about 500 all up with flights, fuel and ferry. Much cheaper than the 2k it would cost to ship it plus its way more fun than just waiting
>>
>>17378079
>>17378212
How did you guys get to the dealer from the airport, taxi?

Everything seems to be lining up, so I might be so crazy as to try and get on a plane for Saturday morning.
>>
>>17378005
Not to mention you'll be driving it back instead of the shipper taking advantage of the dumb shit on the other end not noting down the mileage and driving it instead of trailering it. Ask me how I know.
>>
>>17378983
have seller pick you up. If not, uber.
>>
>>17378079
>Just get a PPI
A what? Googling it gave me no relevant results.
>>
>>17379407
Pre-purchase inspection.

PROTIP: If you're Googling to find the meaning of an acronym, add some context to the search. For example, while the results for "ppi" mention the Producer Price Index or proton-pump inhibitors, the results for "car ppi" all discuss pre-purchase inspections.
>>
>>17377946
Flew a few hours to get a classic car...barn find, super low miles Mercedes-Benz W123.

Seller picked me up at the airport and we drove the car around. Took it to his Indy so I could get it on the lift. Took it to the DMV to switch registration. Then I took it to the local M-B dealership for a once over, because it was relatively clear to me that the guy didn't know what he was talking about with the car....

If you know the car, and the seller will take any pic you ask, and the price is right, do it.

If you get there and it's shit, fly home. Easy.

If not, drive it home, but be ready for problems - bring a tool kit, stop on the way out of town and get spare fluids and check the spare tire and jack. Make sure you have a cell charger, and have some cash on you. If you live in a country where you can join a car club/roadside assistance, do it. Know your route, and don't push it...enjoy the drive in your new car!

I drove 1200 miles home, stopping a couple of times along the way. Was a great trip.
>>
>>17379438
It's easy to Google when you know the result.

Anyway getting it inspected is fine but in my experience mechanics are beholden to the seller whether you're there or not, and even if you're paying don't give you accurate info. I mean I've stood there with a jeep that was obviously never maintained and had the mechanic swear everything was golden and had the audacity to question why I then wouldn't buy the jeep.

You can never go wrong being there, just don't get so invested you forget flying home is cheaper than buying a piece of shit.
>>
File: 612_99a1776712ce_low_res.jpg (54KB, 790x525px) Image search: [Google]
612_99a1776712ce_low_res.jpg
54KB, 790x525px
>>17377946
I flew to Long Beach to pick up my Silvia. Plane ticket was around $150, bought a ticket for my buddy also. Drove 12 hours back I think.
>>
>>17377946
Never flew to get a car, but I did drive a friend 10+ hours and then back home again.
Some south Belgian dealer put up a ae86 Levin as just a "Corolla Levin" as the name was in EU and probably thought it was nothing special.
He asked €2k as if it was a ae82 while ae86s are normally sold for €15k and you'll get some riced worn down track racer.
Long story short, my volvo was no match for him in the Ardennes.

Yes it's a meme car, but 2k for one in mint condition. If only he knew that he could've asked 10 times that price.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.