[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My girlfriend tried to take her car in for an oil change but

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_2641.jpg (33KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2641.jpg
33KB, 200x200px
My girlfriend tried to take her car in for an oil change but they stated that the oil pan screw was stripped and they were not able to change her oil.

My question is, does the oil pan have to be completely replaced or can I just removed the stripped bolt and re thread it and buy a new bolt? I wouldn't see why I couldn't just rethread but I'm not too car savvy and I usually come to the board for advice. Thanks all.
>>
>>17373087
If you have to ask, you can't do either.
>>
They probably mean the head was stripped. Buy a new screw, then get the old one out by grinding flats onto it, welding a nut to it, pipe wrench, etc.
>>
You think rethreading an oil pan is the easier of the two options? No. Fuck no.
>>
get a new bolt and just take the old one off with vice grips
>>
>>17373087
Stripped or rounded off there's a difference stripped is probably already leaking slightly and did not want to mess with it if its rounded off yeahl like the others anons said vice grips or fancy 12point universal socket for maximum grip
>>
>>17373087
You can helicoil it but your mileage may vary.

If you've never even attempted a oil change, I wouldn't do anything honestly, just take it to a proper mechanic and not a quick lube place.
>>
>>17373087

>take shitbox to walmart for $20 oil change
>have to change the oil every month so this car is in and out of the walmart lube bay all the time
>14th time I go to get it changed
>"anon the drain plug bolt is cross threaded, we can't touch it"
>wtf
>take it home
>buy supertech shitbox oil and fram filter
>get breaker bar and prepare for the worst
>drain plug comes right out without any trouble
>take car in for oil change the month after that
>they change it without any hassle

???
>>
File: $_3.jpg (22KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
22KB, 500x400px
>>17373087
get one of these and succ out the top
>>
>>17373245
Why are you not changing you're own oil and having some Mongoloid at wallyworld doing it for you?
>>
>>17373087
They sell oversized oil pan bolts for this exact situation, check a parts store.
>>
>>17373288

question. does this work at all for getting sediment out of the bottom of the pan? I'm guessing the end of that hose would only suck up like 1/50th of the sediment in the pan.
>>
>>17373320
Perhaps he is that mongoloid.
>>
>>17373087
Just get one of these and it's job done.
>>
>>17373087
Helicoil or timesert it
>>
just buy a tap and die set like a not retard
>>
>>17373087
>does the oil pan have to be completely replaced
If it is the dealer, they will never repair it with a bigger screw, a helicoil, or tap & die. They will argue for total replacement with a new oil pan, new oil pan gasket (those are expensive at my dealer), and the labor charge of course. They will also charge for the oil change.
>>
Whatever you do don't attack it with a bar and try to break the bolt off. Modern sumps are made from aluminium and not steel, if the ape working on your car before over tightened the plug then they've stripped the aluminium sump threads, the bolt itself with probably be fine as they're still made from steel alloy. There are only really 3 ways to fix this;

>Dealer option - New sump
>Tap a larger thread for a new bolt
>Use sealant to hold the current bolt in and never touch it again.

I would only recommend the top 2 options but they're not something to do if you've never worked on a car before.

If you get the sump or threads replaced then remember not to tighten the bolt too much, 25 - 30nm max. Best tightened with a stubby wrench to get a good feel for it.

If its an older steel sum (it'll be obvious if it is) then the bolt may well be fucked.
>>
>>17373850

They work fine and are what most dealerships now use, any sediment too large to fit through the tube will be caught by the cars oil filter anyway.
>>
Why are you guys acting like someone with no experience can't tap new threads? It's literally as easy as an oil change. If you can do that you can replace a bolt and threading. OP, tap that shit and put a new bolt in. Shouldn't take you longer than a few minutes once the car is jacked up or on ramps.
>>
File: Nykmcqk.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
Nykmcqk.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
The OP says that the screw is stripped. If this is the case, just buy a new screw. Oil drain bolts on Fords destroy themselves all the time. Pic related is from my Crown Vic with 130,000 miles on it.
>>
>>17373087
Is it stripped as in the head turns but didn't come out?
Or as in the head is rounded and they can't put a socket on it

If the heads rounded just get a pair of polygrips and try to get it off then file the head down to fitting a socket
>>
>>17374464
This, or if you're a hard cunt weld another bolt to it and unscrew it.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.