[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

cam actuator code

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 59130580.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
59130580.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
Hey guys im looking into a used g37 at an amazingly low price. The salesman said its priced low because its throwing a "cam actuator" code and has to be driven at low rpm.

What might be the actual problem here? Any ideas? Easy to fix/worth fixing?

Thanks.
>>
>>17371796
buy a nice OBDII scanner, a decent one will run you about $80, it will work on any car newer than like 97 and it will tell you all the trouble codes of the car, i got mine on amazon and its not bad at all, they have one that syncs to an app on your phone too.

anyway, buy one of those, plug it into the scan port and whatever problem this is will pop up on your scanner as a trouble code, then just google the code(s) and see what the problem is.
>>
Think the cam is having trouble actuating bro
>>
>>17371796
If the VVEL system is fucked you're going to probably end up pulling the heads.
>>
Run away. It's either a cam sensor or a vvt solenoid. More than likely it's bad bearings and bearing material has plugged up the solenoid. I have had three vq engines do that. Fucking junk.
>>
>>17371935
Damn man i head vq engines were good though. So the car has 90 k miles on it... Is this issue tied to driving it hard or is it just a bad engine?
>>
>>17372035
Bet on owner neglect. These systems run on engine oil and debris from infrequent maintenance can cause failure.
>>
>>17371796
Buy a mint one faggot. Stop trying to save a buck. Any money you save up front will be spent in the long run bringing it back to 100%
>>
File: StoppedReading.jpg (13KB, 250x272px) Image search: [Google]
StoppedReading.jpg
13KB, 250x272px
>>17371796
>The salesman said
>>
>>17372143
At least he said.
>>
The hydraulic timing chain tensioner requires a tear down of most the top end to change. Easier to pull the engine. When the oil inlet screen gets plugged with bearing material it causes problems. When the car is ran low on oil the vvt oil driven solenoid takes a shit. If it was just a cam sensor it may be fine. The only cam sensors what will work have to be bought from a dealer, aftermarket ones have the wrong polarity for some reason. I will absolutely never have a fucking vq35de, vq35de revup, vq35hr, vq37 ever again. Fuck those pos oil burning engines. If it is the magnetic exhaust cam controller its around 600-1200$ for that part.
>>
The vq37 and hr have gaskets that fail in the oil channels causing those problems. This gasket is behind the front timing cover. Requires engine removal. This leaking gasket causes a loss of oil pressure to the hydraulic cam controller. Will also wipe out the cam journals, and everything in the top end. It's not neglect just design flaws.
>>
>>17372714
And that's why you avoid Nissan these days...
>>
>>17372714
But there are plenty of g37 that have reached 200k plus miles and still going... And this one craps out at 90k?

My buddy has a g35 with over 230k, still drives it daily and redlight races every chance he gets. Original motor and stock everything.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.