[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Car newfag here looking for long-term purchase

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: newtoyqq.jpg (32KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
newtoyqq.jpg
32KB, 500x375px
Hi, /o/. First post here, and I'm hoping I'll be able to learn a lot from you guys.

Firstly, I know *nothing* about cars; only real repairs I've done are replacing an alternator and disc+drum brakes on my 97 Saturn SC2. But I've been wanting to get a "new" ride that I can learn to maintain myself. I don't need or want anything fancy or fast, and I have an undying fondness for the boxy designs of late80s/early90s cars. I want to get something like a 90-92 Corolla (my pick from the image in the pinned post) and pamper it. Would also consider the 87 Corolla with that AE86 chassis, or pretty much anything from that era with a cool, boxy design.

I'm flying totally blind here, so basically I'm going to ask a scattershot of noob questions and anyone who's willing can just vomit knowledge onto me.

1. The pined post here recommends the 90-07 Corolla. Why not the 87? Would it also be a good choice if I found one in decent condition (ignoring the anime tax), or are there specific qualities that make the 90+ models better? Not looking to get a replica car; I just like the history of that chassis.

2. How bad are popup headlights, really? I love how they look, but I don't know how difficult they are to work on when/if I have a problem. Can I keep spare parts in my trunk and repair them quickly? Can popups be added to a car that doesn't have them?

3. If I get an old car like the ones I've been talking about and end up loving it enough to drop an engine into it, what other prohibitively expensive replacements might be needed before it's off-the-lot reliable? Is that level of reliability even achievable in a 30-year-old car?

4. I'm under the impression that if I have a popular model like a Corolla, I'll be able to get parts for a long time even though it's old. Is this accurate? What should I keep in mind about part scarcity in the future?

I think that's enough for now. I'm trying to get serious about being selectively competent, so I'll be around.

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>17366976
Just get a clean 5k civic pham
>>
>>17366984
fpbp
>>
>>17366984
I've looked at a few Civics. I don't dislike their look, though even I know about the "everyone's got one" cliche. hahaha Not ideal for that reason, but wouldn't rule one out. Especially as a transitional car while I look for something permanent.

What exactly do you mean by "clean" and "5k"? (Seriously, Paris Hilton probably knows more auto jargon than I do.)
>>
>>17366997
Fine! Get the cleanest integra GSR you can find
>>
>>17366997
>What exactly do you mean by "clean" and "5k"?
Minimal body damage and plenty of service records, get whatever car you end up with inspected at shop
>>
>>17367014
Not a bad-looking model there. Any particular pros you want to bring up? I'm literally in the "this one looks cool..." stage of development. hahaha
>>
>>17367024
It's a good looking Civic that isn't slow as balls
>>
>>17367024
4 wheel steering, good engine, lots of room for easy modding, good plentiful aftermarket, I can go on. It's a honda.
>>
>>17367021
Ah, these things make sense. Yeah, I'll certainly be taking it into a shop first thing. I'd be completely lost on where to start otherwise.

>>17367034
Ok, that's a lot of useful info, thanks. A roomy workspace is definitely a nice pro. My Saturn has not been very accommodating in that area.
>>
Probably should have mentioned that I'm not concerned at all about going fast. I just want something reliable with a design I like that's easy to work on and will be good for getting from A to B with the occasional road trip.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.