[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Track or Airstip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: Acura NSX.jpg (386KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Acura NSX.jpg
386KB, 1920x1080px
People say "go to the track" to learn the limits of your car and your skills handling it. I have never done this. But I think renting time at an airstrip would be effective as well in learning how a car oversteers at different speeds and just having all around fun going fast in a straight line in my car. Do people do this? Do I just contact the "owner" or a smaller/deserted airstrip?
>>
>Do people do this?

No, people don't do this. What gave you the idea this would be realistic? John Wick?
>>
>>17359898
airstrips are shit to top out on, very bumpy and lots of debris gets kicked up and damages the car.
>>
>>17359937
There was a Porsche Club in kansas that hosted a track day in this exact scenario.

Not a huge turnout, nor a big track, the best time was 49.9 seconds by a 2009 Boxter.
Apparently some Amish people bought the land and gave Zero fucks about the old runway, and let the club use it occasionally.
>>
>>17359967

That's a club, not a single guy
>>
>>17359898
>fun going fast in a straight line
Let me guess, you're american?
>>
>>17359898
So basically a parking lot which you could find for free?

The problem is without defined turns you learn fucking nothing. Even with comes in a vehi cross type you only learn flat.

What you really want OP is a "road". I know that seems radical, but if you Google you might be able to find one in your area (unless you're Kansas, Texas or surrounding)
>>
>>17360361
*cones
>>
>>17360361
Roads still cause the vehicle to become damaged when it goes off the road.

The airstrip with cones is much safer and allows repetitive testing of the cars limits without needing a repair between each time you fail to stay on the "roadway".
>>
>>17359950
>airstrips are shit to top out on
There are no ditches to cause you to roll over.
There are no soft shoulders causing you to spin out.s

Roads are also regulated so if the police come by, they can give a ticket for reckless driving even though you are just practicing on an otherwise unused public road. And even if you don't get a ticket, they will tell you to move along.

If the edge of the road has grass, there can be soft spots or even gopher holes that cause a wheel to dig in hard. That can start a car to roll over.
>>
>calling the drag strip a track

why do people do this
>>
>>17360724
>>17361382
These are basically what I was thinking as well so

>>17360361
Eat shit dummy, I don't want to practice dangerous vehicle maneuvers on public roads
>>
>>17360332
Or German
>>
>>17361404
If he was german, he'd just do it on the autobarn.
>>
File: 429724.jpg (194KB, 1140x760px) Image search: [Google]
429724.jpg
194KB, 1140x760px
finding a skidpad/open paved area to try to test the actual limit of your car is a fun thing to do

a lot of people drive way under the potential of their car even on a track just because they aren't willing to really test it, or they think they're on the limit when they're not

renting out an airstrip is impractical, but maybe you can find somewhere else
>>
>>17361449
My company used to allow the employee's autocross club to mark off a section of a huge parking lot for autocross racing. The problems started when outsiders came onto the lots and drove too. So all of it got closed down for fear of liability suits.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.