[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

smoked brakes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: brakesmoked.jpg (100KB, 1101x554px) Image search: [Google]
brakesmoked.jpg
100KB, 1101x554px
I smoked the rear right brake on the company work truck today hauling a trailer down a hill was my first time hauling that trailer and i didn't think to downshift going down the hill, the truck was an f250 does anyone know if there's any maintenance that has to happen post brake smoking? i just let it cool down and finished hauling it back to our shop.
>>
>>17352572

how do f250 brakes work?
>>
>>17352576
disc brakes all around
>>
>>17352577

try to get your eyes on the pads and just see if they aren't worn down and that the rotors aren't gouged

the smoke happens because of too much heat not being displaced fast enough
>>
>>17352593

not sure on the pads but the rotors were fine. i read something about boiling the oil in the lines and causing damage to the whole system.
>>
>>17352599

there is the possibility that this one time occurrence may have weakened the structural integrity of the mounting parts of the pads, the pads themselves or the connecting hoses depending on how severe the incident was and how many miles it has

crumbling pads would be my guess from high heat, the breaks are designed to displace heat for that reason, but yea you should downshift heavy loads downhill

don't know much about boiling oil, you can check the brake line oil reservoir and see if any plastics have melted, most of these parts have high heat resistance but I'm not sure about the situation

you'll have to be the judge
>>
>>17352599

oh and for the depth of the pads the calipers should have some sort of maximal plugs that get spaced out as the pads wear down, you can look for those to see how far they are sticking out to get a better idea of how thin the pads have become
>>
>>17352629
>>17352637
the truck has 340k miles.
it was a short one time occurence, not like i was driving down the rocky mountains. probably half a mile of hill, hard lesson learned on downshifting though, thanks for the tips on where to look.
>>
>>17352637
also do you mean the distance between the brake pad and the caliper?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.