[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Welding Help/Advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_20170609_201223.jpg (112KB, 759x1012px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170609_201223.jpg
112KB, 759x1012px
Hi /o/,

I am looking to purchase a welder for hobby work. Quarter panels, repairs, random shit, etc. A mechanic friend suggest some Millermatic 215, but they cost $2k and will do more than I will ever know how. Probably the last welder I will ever need to buy.

I was thinking of purchasing it, but then just saw this video of some 8 year old girl welding with a Eastwood Mig 135 ($300). Reading up on it, it seems like it can do everything I need it to do. And I can start small, and maybe purchase the Miller 215 when I grow out of it.

It also just seems like a better use of my money since I wont know the capabilities of the 215 for years. Thoughts, suggestions?

I need to weld pic related. (Frame horn)
>>
File: jb weld.jpg (25KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
jb weld.jpg
25KB, 400x400px
Try this, I used to frequent /b/ a lot and they wouldn't shut up about how great JB is.
>>
File: IMG_20170325_182536.jpg (303KB, 1284x963px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170325_182536.jpg
303KB, 1284x963px
>>17348400
Bumping, Pic related of damaged part.
>>
I've seen issues with those Eastwood welders like the feed mechanism getting jacked up and the trigger failing. The problem with those cheap welders is they are hard to get parts for. Get a Miller or Lincoln 110v that can use a bottle, like the Lincoln Easy Mig 140 or Millermattic 125. The 215 is cool but stick capability doesn't really add anything for things you will be doing to a car. Start with the cheaper MIGs like I mentioned, take some classes to learn oxy acetylene, TIG, stick, etc. and when you develop your skills you can worry about buying an expensive TIG or all in one
>>
>>17348589
What about welding cart? I read most people usually build their own. It looks pretty but is like an extra $170 for just a cart.

I want to take welding classes, but I work full time and can't seem to get into an evening class which are only in the summer. Friend said he would teach me plus I have YouTube.
>>
You want a DC welder, AC is shit. If you get a regular old stick welder, as your skills improve, you can upgrade it to a TIG. Yup, this is exactly true. Any standard DC stick welder, plus about $300 in parts including the argon cylinder, you now have TIG. Plus, a stick welder will be cheaper to buy.
>>
>>17350139
This. Despite MIG being the easiest, stick is the best to start learning with. You'll be punished for any bad habits that MIG will let you get away with.
>>
I've got an Eastwood 135 and a tank of Argon/CO2, it works good enough for the body work I do. It wasn't my choice because I got it as a gift, but I haven't had any problems so far. If you're gonna weld thicker stuff, preheat it with a torch first so it starts out nicer because the welder does not have a ton of juice for big applications.
>>17348973
Just get the harbor freight cart for $60 or whatever it is.
>>
Check pawn shops for a used miller gas mig.
Most pawn shops will let you plug it in and verify that it will strike and arc. If it arcs, 99% chance it works properly.
Just a decent sized bottle with a screw on cap is around $250 (empty), then you just exchange it at the local airgas supply for a fill up. So if you can get a used full setup with a regulator (that's another $100+) you'll be ahead of the game.
A miller 110v is plenty to do automotive work.
Stick is garbage.
So is flux core.
Tig has a steep learning curve- even though its better than the rest for automotive applications, you'll spend years trying to master it at home before you can actually do anything with it.
>>
File: full potato.jpg (53KB, 450x373px) Image search: [Google]
full potato.jpg
53KB, 450x373px
>>17350300
>stick is garbage
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.