[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BMW E91?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: bmw e91.jpg (184KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
bmw e91.jpg
184KB, 1024x683px
Euro here. I'm looking for a reliable station wagon with good ride qualities to do some autobahn commuting (up to 500km weekly). Does not have to be super big, as long as I can easily transport stuff and it fits multiple people without them being cramped. Diesel with automatic is preferred, due to good mileage and smooth commuting properties.

I was thinking BMW 3 series touring (E91). However, I keep hearing lots of stories about high maintenance costs and engine issues. Not sure if these issues are common for the diesel engines. Budget is about €10k. Suggestions?
>>
File: VW_Passat_Variant_Typ_B5GP_Pic01.jpg (585KB, 1920x1278px) Image search: [Google]
VW_Passat_Variant_Typ_B5GP_Pic01.jpg
585KB, 1920x1278px
>>17344588
Fellow europoor here, get yourself a Passat B5.5 station wagon 1.9 TDI with an automatic if you can, those things are nearly indestructible and the only problem that these things have is the front wings tend to rust (easily changeable)
>>
>>17344601
Currently own that car, but pre-facelift model, also TDI, manual. Still going strong, but looking to upgrade, due to environmental regulations.
>>
>>17344610
You might want to consider something bigger, while the E91 rides like a boat, due to either awd or rwd the back will be a bit more cramped. Maybe something like a VW Caddy or a Opel Insignia station wagon is in order?
>>
>>17344614
>e91 rides like a boat
it's not a 5 series.
>>
>>17344644
Idk, drove a e46 for some time and a golf mk 4 long before that. My parents have a passat b5.5 and in comparison The e46 certainly drives more like a boat
>>
>>17344614
I would like RWD this time (or even AWD). I don't like the feeling of my current car in corners, although that might be due to the soft suspension.
>>
>>17344656
A 5 series station wagon might be nicer desu
>>
>>17344648
Driving like a boat does not tell me too much. Do you mean steady behaviour at high speeds?
>>
>>17344588
volvo v90
>>
>>17344663
True, but probably bigger than I require, and has air suspension for the rear axle. This could mean expensive services since I won't be buying a brand new one, and these kind of things wear out.
>>
>>17344648
How is the size of BMW 3er compared to passat? My impression is that its quite similar.
>>
>>17344664
driving like a boat would mean tons of body roll and heavy understeer. I think he has something mixed up there
>>
>>17344675
Exactly what I want to avoid in my next car. It should be nimble enough for fast driving on provincial roads and city environments too.
>>
>>17344672
The passat is way more bigger, we once hauled 2 100L barrels in the back
The 3 series on the other hand while spacious for it's class doesn't really hold a candle to the practicality of the Passat, also the Passat is a workhorse and won't cost you an arm and a leg to maintain
>>17344675
By boat I mean that when you ride it anywhere (gravel, asphalt, etc.) you mostly can't feel the road, which is a blessing during longer journeys, a car which feels like an ikea chair is a bad idea if you're doing more than 100km daily
>>
>>17344681
If that's the case then either the 3 series or an Audi A4 avant
>>
>>17344588
Overall good cars, but there are indeed flaws with the timing chains that got fixed in 06/10 iirc
Also the older ones (320d 163ish hp) don't have them either. Maintenance is easy and parts are fairly cheap (not much more than for a vw e.g.)
A friend bought one at 200k km and is now at 350k without flaws besides normal wear
>>
>>17344705
yup the e90/91/92/93 are good cars just make sure you don't buy a beat to shit or a 500k km one
>>
>>17344705
Thanks for the heads up, seems like the 2 liter diesel (n47) should be avoided.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.