[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oil check method

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: b7d.png (66KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
b7d.png
66KB, 1000x1000px
Hello /o,

so last evening I went into a discussion with some friends about checking engine oil.

A friend said that engine must be fully warmed, then stopped and check the oil after 20 - 30 minutes or so, that way the oil goes into the pan yet it's still warm, because heat volume expansion and whatnot.

Another friend said that he checks engine oil in the morning, cold engine after a night or whenever the car still for a reasonable amount of hours so the oil is "absolutely into the friggin pan to the last drop".

Who's right in the matter? What's your stance in checking engine oil? Thanks.
>>
I'd measure it cold because you don't put it in warm do you, you friggin' flopperdoodle
>>
The debate is whether or not to check it when its cold or warm, not really by quantity that is in the oil pan. Think about the way the rating works 5W-20 e.g. You have an SAE 5 viscosity rating when its cold and an SAE 20 viscosity rating at operating temperature.

As the oil ages, it beings to lose its ability to maintain that viscosity - this becomes particularly important when the engine is cold, because that is when the oil will most the least freely around your engine. During this warm-up time, if your engine oil is too old, some components may get oil starved.

So checking the health of your oil when it is cold seems the most paramount to me.
>>
>>17339412
Turbo virgin detected
>>
>>17339426

What?

The phenomenon is very well noted in plenty of non-turbo applications. The Cam Phasers in the Ford 5.4 3V V8 for example.
>>
>>17339412
OP here,
Sorry but the matter wasn't about viscosity or oil health, it was about oil level, the quantity.

One friend argued that warm oil has a bigger volume than cold oil.
>>
>>17339389
i have a hot and cold line on my dipstick, read the owners manual for your car.
>>
>>17339389
Check it when it's cold. Some engines (thinking of the Ecoboost line) have a stop/start design feature that keeps oil in the engine for hot restarting. Those engines have to be off for at least 15 minutes for all the oil to drain back down to the sump. So, read your owner manual and pay attention to what they say.
>>
Well people, that's what the owners manual says about engine oil.

"For a precise measurement and display of the oil level, it is necessary that the engine be at operating temperature, e.g. after uninterrupted driving for at least approx. 6.5miles/10 km. You can have the oil level displayed while you are driving, or while the vehicle is at a standstill on a level surface and the engine is running."

Car's a BMW
>>
File: 1428963118941.jpg (10KB, 255x200px) Image search: [Google]
1428963118941.jpg
10KB, 255x200px
>>17341682
Shit forgot to add, that is referring to the automatic on board computer system. Manual system may be different, let me check...
>>
>>17339389
The level hardly changes whether it's warm or cold.
>>
It doesn't matter, the difference between your hot and cold levels will be almost nothing.
>>
Ok OP again, followed your advice and got what's written on my actual user manual, this >>17341682 was about the gasoline version, a PDF i had.

For diesel engine, BMW says:

1. Stop the vehicle over a flat surface, with the engine hot (e.g. driving non stop for at least 10 km)
2. After about 5 minutes, pull the oil dipstick and check the oil

And that's it. But i guess >>17341723 and >>17341730 aren't so wrong.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.