[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/qtddtot/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 326
Thread images: 40

File: 1496660871270.jpg (56KB, 1033x405px) Image search: [Google]
1496660871270.jpg
56KB, 1033x405px
Questions That Don't Deserve There Own Thread
>>
File: HatMe.jpg (55KB, 630x449px) Image search: [Google]
HatMe.jpg
55KB, 630x449px
>>17334666
-Why would you waste a trip-6 post?

-Why do you think that "there" is the same as "their?"
>>
>>17334714
i just copy pasted from previous and forgot to link it
im a shit op sorry
old: >>17311972
>>
File: jet-90156_w.jpg (11KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
jet-90156_w.jpg
11KB, 400x400px
Are aftermarket underdrive pulleys a meme? I've read it's a 10-15 HP upgrade for my 3l V6 that doesn't reduce gas mileage.
>>
Buying my first new car.

Should I get the 2017 Mazda CX-5 Diesel 2.2, or the 2018 Subaru Outback 2.5i?
Both are due to be released any time.
>>
>>17334790
Not a meme
they're designed for race vehicles
in DD applications however
if you're not making enough REVs
your accessories may not perform as desired
>>
>>17334666
Fuck off back to /pol/ you degenerate racist
>>
>>17335428
I read it only screwed with your accessories if you bought a shit one

>>17335062
Good goy buy a new car
>>
would you pay $20-30 to watch a monster truck show?
am I getting ripped off?
>>
>>17335442
Nobody was complaining until you brought it up.
>>
>>17335509
>replace alternator pulley with larger pulley
>turns slower now
>doesn't charge battery as fast
>now your car can't start
it doesn't screw with you accessories
it may not power them enough to operate properly
>>
>>17335519
I would pay $100 for decent seats
>>
>>17335551
for a 4 hour show?
>>
>>17335527
What about the ones that are the same size, but weigh less? They would surely drive the accessories at the stock rate, correct?
>>
>>17335442
Prove it wrong fuccboi
>>
>>17335561
yes, but that has different challenges and fewer gains
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Underdrive_pulleys
>3-6 hp average per POUND of material removed
>https://www.amazon.com/Gates-37015P-Alternator-Pulley/dp/B001NYJOCC
>weight: 1.2 pounds
replacing all of the pulleys might get you 1-2 pounds
also light weight pulleys are more likely to be shit
>>
>>17335527
I know, but I've read that only shitty ones have that problem.
>>
>>17335567
>Prove it wrong fuccboi
For one thing african civilization such as egypt predates white civilization, blacks invented it not whites

second civilization is not destroyed

enjoy ur racisim
>>
>>17335628
>blacks were responsible for the Egyptian empire
Nice source you have there Hotep, too bad it isn't true considering how all historical evidence supports the contrary
>>
Which one of these should I get as first car(if any)?
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Fier/AUTOMJETE/Makina/BMW/Seri-3/320/BMW-320D/3836328
http://www.merrjep.al/Njoftimi/Shitet/Tiran%C3%AB/AUTOMJETE/Makina/BMW/Seri-3/320/M3-M-Power-/4296090
what exactly is m3? I dont think the second even is m3 since it says "m3 look" so i guess its only the visual part but im still curious.
Kinda scared because the second has only 70k km for a 2004 car does that mean it may not have been used and not maintained properly for a time
>>
>>17335640
>Nice source you have there Hotep, too bad it isn't true considering how all historical evidence supports the contrary

>Egypt was not built by africans

ok

i guess that's why Cairo is in Paris
>>
>>17335675
Berbers and Egyptians ≠ sub Saharan or west Africans
Sorry but your bait is shit
>>
>>17335698

You are retarded, humanity evolved in africa

learn to fossils
>>
>>17335644
>owe more on a POS than I've spent on both my daily and my truck

This is why you shouldn't spend money you don't have.
>>
>>17335701
Try putting the worm on the hook retard
>>
>>17334666
I considering purchasing a vehicle in west Virginia and moving it to virginia. However, it's un-registered in wv, so what do I do?
>>
>>17335845
Trailer it out of WVA, take it to DMV with the owners title signed over to you and get your tags dumbass
>>
>>17335880
What if I don't have a trailer or a tow vehicle? Would it be better to rent those as apposed to getting the owner to register the car before I buy it?
>>
>>17335935
Yes, the owner would probably take on a higher price tag
The way I see it you have two options:
>use tags from one of your other vehicle to drive it back
Risky but doable, specifically in VA
>rent a truck/trailer to go pick it up
It's going to be more costly but it's 100% legal
>>
>>17335671
M3 is the highest performing trim of the 3 series, but if its just "m3 look" it just has some borrowed body parts from an m3 fitted on some lower tier 3 series

BMWs as a first car can be a wild choice since its more expensive to maintain than other cars.
>>
>>17335944
Come to think of it, the current owner knows it won't pass wv inspection (allegedly a $3 fix) and hasn't fixed the issue. So I could be driving home without a inspection sticker as well. Not an issue if I trailered it though, but it is activating my almonds now. Thanks.
>>
>>17336006
yeah theyre the same price so one cant be real m3 i guess
I got a 5k budget i would have like 2k left for any maintenance and its generally cheaper in albania
guess im going for the black one since it looks better to me too
>>
File: IMG_20170607_124116843[1].jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170607_124116843[1].jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
>>17334666
I know LITERALLY NOTHING about car audio. How do I replace my radio or faceplate or w/e on my Civic with something that has aux input and preferably USB charging, and somewhat fits the 90's aspect of my car instead of being an ugly piece of dogshit.
>>
>>17336205
Search "single DIN head unit" on google
>>
File: 20170607_153713.jpg (617KB, 1902x1300px) Image search: [Google]
20170607_153713.jpg
617KB, 1902x1300px
What is this black rubber on my car called and how do I replace it?
>>
Twin vs single vs sequential turbos? What's best for what?
>>
>>17336271
Twin/sequential twin turbos we're good when single scroll turbos were the only ones you could get, nowadays single twin-screw turbos are the best
>>
>>17336205
If you really want to keep that 90s aesthetic, get a cassette to aux adapter. It will be shit audio quality, though. Maybe go junkyard crawling for some "newer" OEM radios? It might be tough, though, aux didnt become standard until the late 00s. Really its easier to just go aftermarket and try to find something subtle. Pioneer makes some ~50 dollar shit that isnt too gaudy.
>>
>>17336281
Best for what?
>>
>>17336405
Turbo charging an internal combustion engine that runs on gasoline
>>
Would it be stupid to use a used 1985 Toyota with 120k miles on it as a daily driver
>>
>>17336580
depends on if it was well cared for, chances are if it has that low miles that it could have been sitting neglected a lot and while it might run fine now there might be something, especially soft parts, that could all just be waiting to give out, and luck usually has it that it starts to be a one-after-the-other situation. Any more info on the car?
>>
Got 2 violations a while ago, and my probation period or w/e that i was given is almost up. I had to pay a certain amount, and not get any more violations. Didnt pay it all yet, and looks like im not going to be able to. Also missed a random court date that i guess was a follow up. The paper says i could get a bench warrant if i dont show for the one i missed, what will happen if i dont manage to complete the terms of the deal before the end date? Just late fees and a ticket on my record? Will i have to stay in a cell overnight or some BS? Called the court but you have to go in to get anything more than basic info. Dont wamt to go in and get fucked for that bench warrant somehow, so id like to know what would happen before i go
>>
>>17336604
It's just a craigslist post that caught my eye and most likely I'm not gonna buy it

https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/cto/6143281280.html
>>
I have some vibration in the steering wheel when I reach 60mph+, its not too bad where it's unfit to drive but my hands go numb on long drives.

At first I thought it was some mud from recent rains, but I washed it out and it still vibrates. Any ideas on what it could be?
>>
Is a 2012 Mazda 3 iTouring worth it for light modding? I know there's a respectable aftermarket for Mazdas, and I was thinking once I have mine more or completely paid off that it would be fun to make a couple changes to things like the suspension and whatnot, not for any "track day bro" purposes but just to make it a more enjoyable car for me to drive than it already is
>>
>>17336706
If it's the hatchback yeah, hatches almost always look better modded comapred to amerifat marketed sedans.
>>
What are some of the best vehicles (1990-2003) to start off for amateur rally? Gotta be inexpensive, easy to work on, and plenty of aftermarket availability.
>>
>>17336721
I wish it was the hatch, but sadly it's the sedan; I bought it for reliability/gas mileage first and fun was the secondary qualifier. Like I said though, I don't want to go crazy and or anything, just decent suspension/shifter upgrades and maybe an intake and exhaust. My goal is to make it a little more sport-oriented without having it end up looking like a slammed boiracer car. If this isn't retarded then I'd also be curious about any specific upgrades I should make and/or any decent companies that offer said parts/upgrades. This would also be the first car I'd ever have modded, so I'm really pretty inexperienced in the world of automotive aftermarket.
>>
>>17336616
Get to court asap to clear that shit up...you don't want to get picked up on a bench warrent for a fucking ticket...tell them you need more time to pay it off, and the probation will most likely start over...
>>
>>17334666
>car battery

>new battery, less than a year old
>car ran fine, turned over first try for the lest ever
>go out last night and get home with no problems at all
>go to start get something out of car
>doors wont even lock
>nothign lights up
>test batter and get a reading in the mv range
>disconnect batter and test again
>1.4xx volts and slowly climbing

This is a battery for a 3.8L v6, 1000 crank amps, 800 cca. What in fucks name can drain it from cranking-will-start-the-car voltage to lights-dont-even-work voltage in about 12 hours?

I just tested it agian, its up to three volts on its own
>>
File: R O T A R Y.png (491KB, 865x538px) Image search: [Google]
R O T A R Y.png
491KB, 865x538px
Is this the most /o/ gun?
>>
>>17336885
Its beautiful. Who made this and did they publish instructions?
>>
>>17336899
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3vH7LgvuL4

Yeah guys, I know it's /k/, but he did ask.
>>
>>17336764
Ive had 180 days to do all this though. Im going in the morning to clear it up, but ive only paid 20 of 400. I can pay most of it, hopefully theyll take that and give me another month or something at least, but again 180 days and i basically havent done any of it because im an idiot.
>>
Is there a reason buying cars at dealerships is more expensive than buying cars from Craigslist?

Am I better off buying a car from dealer for this reason?
>>
>>17336899
>>17336885
Found a tumblr post with reverse search. Apparently its a mass produced gun from the 50s
>>
how do i into haggling?
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/oakville-halton-region/2006-honda-civic-dx-coupe-2-door/1270735020?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
>>
>>17336908
dealers need to make a profit, craigslist people may or may not know how to profit
>>
>>17336908
they go exclusively off of book value and often have less wiggle room on price, plus used cars they take in on trade they'll generally only turn around and re-sell if they know they're in decent condition, otherwise they'll send shittier/older cars to auction or just scrap.

Also, they usually do all of the registration work themselves so you don't have to deal with the DMV, and they usually add BS fees as well for "paperwork" and other stupid stuff.

on CL you have more of a chance of getting someone who's more lenient on price and may not know the true value of what they have, but you also have a higher chance of getting something shitty.

Anymore I see CL more for potential projects or specialty stuff that might pop up and dealerships more for when you either want to buy new or know that you have a reliable used DD
>>
>>17335628
>>17335628
Oh god there are so many things incorrect about what you said where do I begin.

1. The first civilization were the Sumarians in Mesopotamia (Iraq today). So no, the camel jockeys have you beat.

2. your waz kangz Egyptians only have monuments because of Jewish slave labor, so black people, where those Reperations for the Jews at?

3. Your "civilizations" didn't have have shit but mud houses and crop feilds.

4. Modern society only is, due to the Greeks, Romans, British, and white Americans.

Lets go over some things white people made shal we?

Plumbing
Harnessing electricity
Freedom of speech
Radio
Tv
Computer
Internet
Car
Airplanes
Space travel
Microprocessor
Modern medicine

Black people BTFO. Stay mad dirt man.
>>
>>17336128
Im albanian too m8 thats pretty funny

Last time i went to albania i saw only volkswagens and mercedes and no bmws.
Unfortunately i don't speak albanian.
>>
>>17336963
Im planning on getting my very first car/DD on craigslist so idk how likely is it that i'll get fucked over.
>>
>>17336264
Weather stripping.
>>
>>17336691
9 times out of ten its a out of balance wheel.
>>
You guys have any idea what can be going on with my car? Can't check under the hood right now because of apartment rules but it drives rough. Doesn't sound like the misfires I've had before so idk if its misfiring.

Heres what it sounds like now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UauqA5_uHQE

and heres what it normally sounds like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QT5wth3QoUg

It used to do that for about 10 seconds after starting up but now it does it all the time. Not looking for an exact answer of whats wrong but any ideas of what it might be.
>>
>>17337100
>Can't check under the hood right now because of apartment rules but it drives rough.

Found your problem.
>>
>>17336691
How old are the tires? What's the tread depth? Have you used Fix-a-Flat in them?
>>
>>17337100
When you had the misfires, what all was replaced?

Kinda hard to tell whats going on in the video.
>>
>>17337100
>apartment rules against opening your hood
What
>>
>>17336855
A bad alternator or a problem with the wiring from the alternator to the battery. Make sure the terminals are clean of corrosion and tight.
>>
>>17336855
Did you check your terminal connections on the other end of the cords?

It may also be that your alternator took a shit but not likely if you didn't get a battery light on the way home.
>>
>>17336855
Forgot to add that it might be a parasitic draw.
>>
>>17337135
I replaced the spark plugs and spark plug wires but it sounds rough and the speedometer shouldnt jump around like that.

>>17337124
>>17337136
Already got told by the landlord not to do it when I was changing a headlight.
>>
>>17337155
What's the make and model? Psom's (the guage cluster) In old F150's sometimes do the same thing when going out.
>>
I just bought a 2003 honda civic and the check engine light just turned on. Everything seems to be fine, but I read that if you overfill the gas tank the check engine light will turn on. I gassed it up yesterday and stopped fueling once the handle automatically stopped. But at work I park on an upward incline so the front end is a few inches above the rear end. On a full tank, would this incline cause the check engine light to turn on due to "overfilling"?
>>
>>17337032
yeah i see those too and can get them they just seem boring to be desu senpai
still not sure if i should go manual or automatic
>>
fuck changing rotors man. i guess a bracket that holds the pads in got moved around and its scrapping the rotor. do i fucking have to take it apart and fix it?
>>
>>17337195
1983 Toyota Cressida
>>
>>17337227
Rotors are easier to work on than drums though.

Yes you probably fucked your pads if the bracket came loose.
>>
>>17337207
Get a vatozone to run the codes. CEL's can mean just about anything.
>>
>>17337237
well i changed the pads like a month ago and tried to get away with skipping on the rotors. pads were completely gone and im lucky i got them when i did. my rotors still sqeaked though and they were to worn to get turned so i bought new ones. but seriously fuck positioning the caliper and bolt it back on. anyways the brackets can shift left and right and i think one of them is too far in one direction and its apparently right on the rotor. pretty sure its only one side
>>
>>17337152
>>17337154
>>17337147
If it were the alternator, I would expect to have seen some other symptoms.
I dont know what voltage a car will cease to function, but Id guess it would be around 9 volts.
This car needs between 10 and 11 volts to crank, I know this because the last battery would go down do 9 volts if not started for a week or two which confirms a parasitic drain. The problem is though, the leak takes a week to drain the car from >12v to 9.xV. The car went from around 12v-14v to 1.3v in a matter of about 13 hours.

So if it were a bad alternator, Id still have enough power to light up the dash, and if it were my parasitic drain then it should still be capable of doing something given such a short time frame.

its just blowing my mind. Either the battery shit itself, which I think not because of the fact that its regaining voltage now that its disconnected. Last checked its hanging at around 5.6V.

Does shit ever happen like relay switches get stuck on? Arnt they designed to fail open?
>>
Is the 302 Windsor that was in everything from Panthers to Fox Bodys to pickups a bad engine for making power? I heard that if you want to make more than 400whp the block can't handle it, any truth to this?
>>
File: 1489813320062.png (2MB, 1440x1758px) Image search: [Google]
1489813320062.png
2MB, 1440x1758px
Evening mentlegen. I had some questions about things that I am pretty sure are just a solution looking for a problem.

I have come to ask about clean side seperators, in this case for a 5.3L EcoTec3 small block V8.

My understanding is that unless I am constantly redlining it and doing general hoon shit, then having a clean side separator is useless because I won't be getting that much oil blowby under regular operation.

Will a dose of throttle body/valve train cleaner every 40k miles do the same thing as a clean side separator? For the most part I drive like a grandpa unless I am dicking around, and that's once in a blue moon.
>>
https://charlotte.craigslist.org/cto/6162425845.html

Seems good. Should I?
>>
>>17337792
>Miada
>15 years old
>149k miles
>$5500

Apparently he knows what he has
>>
>>17337820
Turns out he was kinda close. Still gonna try and haggle, of course.
>>
>>17337256
Get a pad separator or c-clamp to push the pistons/pads back in before putting the caliper back on.
>>
>>17337211
My uncle in vlore got his car stolen that was auto so idk how the auto v manual situation is in albania but maybe get a manual for automatic theft deterrent
>>
File: rippaint.jpg (512KB, 500x967px) Image search: [Google]
rippaint.jpg
512KB, 500x967px
What grades do I need to fix these spots before and after? Something like 1000 to get off the rust and then 100 to clean the paint up or something?

Should I just get the stuff at the dealership?
>>
What's a good book to learn about cars and how they work. Mechanical process and all? I'm not good with youtube videos.
>>
>>17336739
what country you in, and what sort of surface? if you want something simple/cheap you probably want to go for a fwd hatchback, older the better (older cars are quite a bit lighter). would also try to get something common so you can find parts easy, and without major rust issues
>>
File: r34.jpg (191KB, 1222x372px) Image search: [Google]
r34.jpg
191KB, 1222x372px
Should I get rid of the tiny spoiler on my car until I find a GT-R spoiler?

pic related: what I'm think of doing, and the spoiler I wanna get
>>
I'm able to bring a car from England to America in a little while, and I'm thinking about getting one to sell in the states. What RHD vehicle would I be best off with? I was thinking a MkIV Supra or a R33, something like that
>>
>>17339290
Any reason you don't want to bring one you want to keep yourself? Unless you do plan to do that too.
>>
>>17339314
Debating it. The wife and I are young still, and her Dad is going to give her his 1989 Carrera (targa top, almost all original, 80,000 miles) sometime, so it's not like we won't have a fun car to drive. I'm also debating bringing one of those back for me and then selling it. I just don't know a whole lot about how to compare values of rhd and lhd cars in America.
>>
>>17336994
There were periods of time where the Arab and Chinese world also affected the growth of civilization.
Namely between the fall of the Roman Empire and the Renaissance.
>>
my powersteering is squeaking everytime I do turns at low speed, is something wrong? Its done this for like 2 years and the dealership hasn't ever said anything.
>>
>>17339247
Ducktail is good
>>
Are rotary engines being unreliable a meme?
>>
I'm retarded but how do I tell the shop (random dude with a lot of tires) what ones I need. They say 205/60r16/92t

>Never had a shitbox outlive its tires.
>>
>>17339404
Yeah. If you don't treat it like a piston engine they're fantastic. Much power, many triangle
>>
>>17339368
You have enough power steering fluid? Stupid question, but it might be that
>>
>>17336907
Keep us up to date on what happens in court...
>>
>>17335062
no
>>
File: IMG_20170607_184013865.jpg (1MB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170607_184013865.jpg
1MB, 2592x1456px
I broke this fitting on the power steering pump reservoir on my truck. It seems to have 2 vacuum hoses, one to the intake manifold and the other to what looks like just before the throttle butterfly. Does anybody know what the name of this shit is so I can buy a replacement? Also what exactly it does would be helpful, my only idea is that it draws a vacuum in the PS system to reduce cavitation of the PS fluid but im not sure.

Broken fitting circled in red as well as the two vacuum hoses I capped with bolts so I could at least run the engine.
>>
>>17339032
>1000 on rust
>100 on paint
other way around
>the smaller the grit number the more gritty it is

>should I get at dealership?
https://youtu.be/bXyFy3d8QeI
they're all gonna laugh at you!

>>17339114
any ICE theory book will have all your possible answers,but any Chiltons/Hayes will have a intro version of how to into electricity and what is 4-stroke means
>>
>>17339443
>205/60r16/92t
tell that to the tire man
>Never had a shitbox outlive its tires.
learn2wrench
>>
File: i_hate_niggers.jpg (120KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
i_hate_niggers.jpg
120KB, 400x400px
>>17337356
Pls respond
>>
>>17337356
yeah, think its around 500hp to the crank. block splits in half. IIRC the 351 didnt have the same issue. the 302 isnt bad for making under that power, supposedly its a pretty small engine
>>
I heard about this place that'll sand down and paint over a rust spot on my car for cheap, but my dad said nobody ever matches paint well and it'll look like shit. Is he right?
>>
>>17336855
Ensure all electrical components are off, and that the terminals are clean. It could be a slow draw from something or perhaps a short
>>
>>17340909
Depends on whether or not the guy knows what he's doing but rule of thumb would be if one spot has to get painted, the whole piece needs to get painted
>>
>>17340909
No, it can be done, but nobody matches paint well for cheap.
>>
>>17340421
>>17337356
yes it is well-documented because the mustang is one of the most popular fucking cars of all time and has a massive aftermarket you ass. You shouldn't go beyond 400hp if you want the engine to last.
>>
>>17341100
I'll take some fries with that salt faggot
>>
alright im getting fucking pissed now. i changed my brake rotors last night and there was a scraping sound coming from a wheel when i drive. i took that shit apart twice and couldnt find anything rubbing against the rotor. what the FUCK is causing this shit?
>>
>>17341113
Probably a warped rotor...
>>
>>17341130
seriously? a brand new one?
>>
im going to drive around for a min and see if i can pinpoint when i hear the scraping and when i dont
>>
>>17341135
Check to see if the dust shield inboard from the rotor is bent outward. It happened to me the last time I did my brakes.
>>
I have a Toyota highlander with 110k miles. I've never changed the fluids except the oil. What should I do for the 100k maintenance?
>>
>>17341168
Replacing all the coolant with fresh coolant/water would be a good change, maybe check out your trans oil. Check out the rear diff and stick your clean finger in there and see if the diff fluid is burnt. Might be time to change any accessory belts too and a valve adjustment is coming up too, if yours are adjustable. Maybe take it to a detailer and have them thoroughly clean the inside and properly wash and shine the outside. It'll feel like a brand new car. Don't forget to check your ball joints, bushings, and rubber boots for cracks or torn rubber.
>>
>>17341182
I figured I would change the coolant (because it's about time), just change (not flush) the transmission, change the diff fluid. ((Front wheel drive).
Change the spark plugs (jews man, don't buy a new car. You have to remove the wiper motors, an intake, and a ton of plastic).
Swap the belt and check the joints/bushings/boots
>>
>>17341155
i dont know. i was just driving around managed to get in a walled off area. its both rotors and the scraping is inconsistent as fuck, it scrapes coasting, all speeds except really really slow, turning etc. this is fucking annoying, ive never had this problem with rotors before
>>
>>17341113
Did you bend a dust cover? Have you given the pads enough time to wear in and pull back from the disc?
>>
>>17341217
its been about a month since i did the pads, and didnt even touch the dust cover. but since the rotors are new i guess the pads could still be touching
>>
>>17341235
Personally, I'd take the tires off and inspect the pads and rotors for uneven wear. gives you a chance to check the dust shield. Sometimes new rotors are just enough thicker to scrape on the dust shield. After a month, everything should be normal, if you're still having noise a month later, something is rubbing or wearing unevenly.
>>
>>17341252
actually im looking at vid of dust covers scraping and thats pretty fucking close so i might check that out. thanks and thanks to the other guy that suggested it
>>
>>17341252
i misread your post. i changed the pads a month ago and everything was going fine. the scraping didnt start until last night wheni changed the rotors. im going to check this out for the forth fucking timeand see how this goes
>>
I'm painting over my hood with chalkboard paint soon. Would it be fine to paint over the existing paint, or should I strip and sand it?
>>
>>17341468
Rule of thumb, if you want good paint, you MUST sand AND primer.
>>
File: rustedrunners.jpg (174KB, 896x538px) Image search: [Google]
rustedrunners.jpg
174KB, 896x538px
So, I thought I was in good shape for winter, but VT salting polices have proven me wrong once again. After this past winter, surface rust has started forming and cracking my paint. I have a buddy who can help me sand and repaint, but I was wondering if there are other options to keep my runners rust free
>>
god what a nigger fucking design flaw. it was the fuckng dust cover. now they just make slight sqeaks when i brake because the rotors got fuck all dirty take the calipers off over and over. ill just let the car wash deal with that one. thanks all
>>
File: tewls.jpg (12KB, 232x153px) Image search: [Google]
tewls.jpg
12KB, 232x153px
Thinking of taking some auto tech courses at my local community college. Does anyone have any experience with these classes? Do you learn useful stuff or do they just prep you for stealerships

>an b4 bus rider

have a miata that I love to death, just tired of having my friends doing everything for me like a cuck
>>
I have a small engine I'm trying to get running. It's 70s era with internal points and condenser and generates its own spark (no battery).
I got a new plug and I'm trying to see if I can get this thing to at least turn a bit on ether but I can't get a spark across the plug. It's the exact same one that came out of the engine when I picked it up and I even gapped it all the way down to 10 thou and it won't spark. However when I hook up the spark tester and ground it directly it lights up just fine and if I touch the kill wire (grounds the spark to kill the engine) to the housing it makes a spark that has enough Current to burn the aluminum a bit. I can't get a huge arc length, but still more than 10 thou in length probably a few 32nds or so long. Is it the coil or what?
>>
File: 1990-geo-metro-2.jpg (499KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1990-geo-metro-2.jpg
499KB, 1600x1067px
>>17334666
What's a realistically cheap, like shitbox levels of cheap, manual car that's good for beginners in the US?
I know the standard reply is 'civics' and old hondas, but the roads are so flat in this part of texas and there's so many young ricers that all the ones you find are either autos or bought by some kid with a vape pen who slapped a fart can exhaust, beat it to shit, cut springs, and still asking like, $3k for it.
And the unmolested ones go for more since the demand for them is fairly high while having 200k+ miles.

Budget would be <$1k for a little beater or something in not-absolute trash condition.
Are Geo metros any good in terms of learning manual? you can find those around for $400-$900 in decent shape.
Location is north central Texas, for reference of what's around.
>>
I know that Mercedes are usually very expensive to maintain, but are old mercedes (like 1998) still expensive?
I'm plaining to buy a CLK 200 from 1998, currently a student with not so much money to spend.
>>
>>17341620
My opinion is invalid because I live in SoCal, but when I come back from the mountains in the winter where they salt the roads, I rinse the bottom half of my car off when I get home to remove any salt. Usually the next day cuz lazy. That or you could get some thick clearcoat that can take the beating instead of your raw paint.
>>
>>17341620

You could try undercoating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkGLNlchrJY
>>
how dumb would it be to "deactivate" 3 cylinders on a v6 by taking off one of the rocker arm assemblies? just curious
>>
>>17341620
POR 15

Expensive but host it all down. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00H2VVQNU
>>
File: IMG_20170608_154456018.jpg (659KB, 1818x2589px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170608_154456018.jpg
659KB, 1818x2589px
if a car is getting totaled, do they check records to see if the mileage is real

my car is getting totaled (not at fault) and I could get an extra $200 if I do this odo swap......thing Is, carfax shows higher mileage intervals
>>
>>17336427
Thanks for the kek
>>
>>17341906
>>17341932

The car is permanently undercoated. I was considering getting something similar to POR 15 to repaint my runners with, but I am not sure how black rubberized runners would look on my car. Guess it would be better looking than rust though.

>>17341870
Hand washing in a Vermont winter is tricky, plus it would have to be done anytime the road gets wet from the sun melting snow. The clearcoat might be a good idea, though.
>>
>>17340412
Okay thanks

>learn2wrench
I'm getting there. Just replaced rear struts and altenator as well as some other stuff. Baby steps
>>
>>17341953
Pretty sure that's insurance fraud.
>>
>>17342094
Hook your hose up to your hot water heater, melt the snow on the driveway and just rinse the underside off. Plus you get to make a massive cloud of steam. 10/10 fun
>>
>>17334666
So I have a cylinder head from a SOHC straight 6. Just the cylinder head.

I can't turn the timing pulley by hand. Is it supposed to easily spin?
>>
>>17342140
is the car in gear?
>>
>>17342229
nvm, misread your post. and yes it should spin easily by wrench, does it have some oil on it?
>>
>>17342233
It is 100% dry. It's been sitting for the last 11 years.

I don't want to wail on it and fuck something up. My intent is to rebuild the head. It's a junkyard head. It's aluminum.

It looks like whoever had it changed their oil with some regularity. The valves aren't dinged or anything, but there is a good amount of crust. Pulling it off of the block, there was some rust on cylinder 6. I don't know if this was from a coolant leak through the head gasket or if it was from sitting for 11 years.

The dried up coolant in the hoses was also very rusty. Thermostat housing also had a significant amount of what looks like calcium.
>>
>>17340086

Air control valve, it raises the engine idle speed to boost the power steering assist at low speeds
>>
>>17342250
yeah, I would forget spinning it with a wrench and just keep taking it all apart, sand what you can with some emery cloth to clean up as much as possible, but smooth it out with oil on it.
>>
>work for a car dealership
>literally every employee other than management drives a shitbox

are new cars/trucks a meme?
>>
>>17342692
Yes.

>>17342455
Is there really anything I can do to fuck this up too bad? I know to reinstall the valves into the same seats.
>>
>>17342455
I got the sprocket turning. The bearing surface on the camshaft just needed some lube. Hit it with WD40.

The rocker pivot shaft is now free, but the camshaft timing sprocket is covering one end of it and I don't want to pry on anything aluminum because this head is sort of rare and I would have a hard time replacing it. Might try using a plastic trim pry bar. Will report after pizza.
>>
>>17340394
Oh whoops. Thanks, anon.

Sorry I meant to say the paint, not the sandpaper.
>>
>>17340394
Aren't Hayes type of books made for specific cars? Guess just get the one for mine?

Thanks anyways, br/o/.
>>
Why was the sn95 first edition worse than the second i.e. why was 1994-1998 bad and 1999-2004 good
>>
>>17335519
Hell yeah I would

>>17341915
I mean, I drove 400 miles on 2 out of 4 cylinders. 2 of the spark plug wires were cut, after fixing that the car still runs fine. I'm sure it was horribly unhealthy.

>>17341820
Literally any manual car you can find for piss cheap / free that drives. Plan on learning how to do repairs and scrapping it after a month or two. Then buy a better, less junky car. Or just save up and buy a better $2k-$3k car that is known for having a solid transmission. Remember, manual cars are designed to take abuse from normies and woman drivers learning on them.
>>
na miat

why do i smell clutch when donuts? clutch doesnt get pressed at all, i dont get it
>>
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/cto/6166963598.html
should I DD this?
>>
An E30 I'm looking at had an MOT (inspection) with an advisory that the inner wing was corroded, 4 days earlier it failed an MOT because:

>Parking brake: efficiency below requirements
>Rear Brakes imbalanced across an axle Axle 2
>Brake fluid warning lamp illuminated
>Offside rear brake recording little or no effort
>Offside rear parking brake recording little or no effort
>Horn not working

it's at 101,000 miles, but the last MOT before that was in 2009 where it failed at 100,000 and then before that in 2007 where it failed again at 94,000.

It's a 2k E30, is this car worth looking at or is it not worth it for the inner wing rust?
>>
>>17343703

haynes/chilton are for specific cars but usually have some basic theory stuff in them since they're meant for amateurs
>>
>>17342692

cars/trucks are expensive to buy brand new and a much better value to buy used, especially a cheap shitbox like a civic or corolla that gets good mileage.

some people don't really care what they drive every day and if that's the case, it makes sense to buy something cheap and shitty

for instance, i have a 95 corolla I bought for $140 that runs and drives, it's a complete pile of shit but gets 30mpg and I own it outright, if I didn't care about driving a nice car then I would just daily the corolla desu
>>
>>17336908

Dealerships have overhead, they have to pay for land and buildings and utilities and employees.

craigslist people don't, or at least don't factor it in when selling their cars. even if they did, storage space and whatnot at a house is much much cheaper

the plus side to dealerships is they almost always have technicians in-house and go over vehicles before selling them, wholesaling off the garbage trade-ins and only putting the decent ones up for sale on the lot, so there's usually at least some manner of service records even if it's very short. also you can easily finance at a dealership, although it's better to do it at your bank

the upside to private party is that most people selling cars are just trying to get rid of them for a fair price, not worrying as much about making money on the deal as they are about not getting ripped off.

the downside to a dealership is the price

the downside to private party like craigslist is that you have little to no guarantee that the vehicle has had any notable services performed, no real guarantee of the condition

ultimately if you know how to work on cars or have family/friends who do, it will always be better/cheaper to buy a car private party than it will be to buy from a dealership
>>
>>17337155
>Already got told by the landlord not to do it when I was changing a headlight.

tell your landlord to get fucked
>>
>>17344002
Means your clutch is slipping under high load, and near the end of its life.
>>
How complicated would it be to turn an fwd shitbox to a 4wd shitbox?
I'm not going to do it, it'd be stupid, but just wondering.
>>
>>17334666
>there
>>
>>17335628
WE
>>
>>17335628
> Black people were slave owners
> Black people cash in their oppression points
Pick one
>>
my car is an 04 toyota shitbox with a v6 and auto, it makes a scraping noise from the transaxle when idling
>>
>>17344740
WUZ
>>
>>17344941
KANGZ
>>
>>17335442
Multiculturalism is the degenerate belief, not the other way around Mr. Merchant.
>>
File: IMG_0081.jpg (1MB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0081.jpg
1MB, 2592x1936px
I bought a used car recently and it has some pretty big scratches on the roof. Is waxing my only option for improving the look, or is there better options?
>>
i bought a heap from my parents. It's been sitting for 4 years before I got my hands on it.

trouble with it is that it is misfiring ,giving me shit fuel economy, and not revving.

it's a 98

some1 pls help
>>
>>17344597
You need to find the space to fit a driveshaft, and probably reroute the exhaust.
Not to mention upgrade the rear suspension, because in most of FWDs it's almost an afterthought.
>>
>>17334666
Canadafag here

My friend is selling his 2011 328XI with 115k kms on it for 15k.

what are your opinions on this car? I know BMWS aint super reliable but I have always loved the 3 series. How reliable are these?

Also is such high kms on the clock good?
>>
>>17345222
Buff the living shit out of it
>>
>>17345466
show up with 10k in cash and tell him take it or leave it and then chew on one of those long pieces of grass
>>
>>17334666
in the potato in the piston meme real?
>>
>>17345504
Yeah I plan on that as well because the exact same model year 3ers are listed for under 14k on autotrader and ebay....except his.....I really like the car as well and I've been in it and feels so clean everywhere.

I'll offer 9k at the start and go no more than 12k because this one seems like a preeety good deal for a 3L Straigh six and AWD.
>>
>>17345466
>How reliable are these?
On a scale of 10, I'd say 8.5. Roommate had a 2008 model and he barely ever took it to the shop.
>>
>>17342787
no, not really. A lot of penetrating oil to relieve any seized up parts would be helpful. the worst thing that could happen is one of the bolts anywhere on the head snaps off. At that point, you just reverse drill it, or try using an impact bit and a hammer to twist it out. I rebuilt the heads on a 92 exploder, wasnt too bad. It was convenient that my dad already had all the tools, like the spring compressor for the valve springs.
>>
Datsun Z or RX-7?
>>
Buy a fucking CRV like a real man
>>
>>17345877
Buy a fucking CRV like a real man
>>
>>17336706
speaking of mazdas, if my dad gives me his old 2003 mazda 6, manual mind you, is it worth modding? it's fun to drive, RWD, manual, so buffing up the power should be fun right?
>>
>>17346039
Pretty sure most mazdas are FWD or AWD
>>
>>17346039
That shit ain't RWD, they're FWD
But there is a good amount of aftermarket for the engine considering it's a Duratec 30
>>
Having difficulty finding the engine in the 04-07 WRX STI, just wanted to make sure that its an EJ25 turbo
>>
So one should avoid slipping his clutch, right? However, aren't you technically slipping the clutch everytime you start moving?
>>
>>17339532
Ended up being hospitalized for most of the day and missed it. Somehow was given an extra 10 days to complete it all, even though as far as they know i skipped out on the court date
>>
>>17336619
>Willing to drive 6 miles from location to buyer
What a fucking fag.
>>
My car is a 6 speed manual, pretty sure the sweet spot is right about 3k. My 1st-4th gears seem really short. When i shift i dont lose too many rpms, so within a few seconds im already hitting 3k+ again, so i shift, and then again im almost at 3k. 5th and 6th are better, but i hit 3k rpms around 65mph. That doesnt seem right that im out of gears and cant accel much past 65. Whats the issue here?
>>
alternator/battery woes

>new alternator belt after timing belt job
>car runs great for months
>rains hard and don't drive it for a few days
>have to jump start battery which was at 10v
>figured it was alarm going off silently from thunder
>check volt when it's running, anywhere from 12-13
>drive it around block
>get about 11 volts on slowing down and flickering dash lights
>only really goes past 13 when flooring it
>eventually battery light
>consistently getting 11-12 volts when not moving or revving up (scotty would be proud)
>go buy new alternator at oreillys
>clean terminals and connectors
>charged battery on slow charger, checked water
>comes off charger and quickly drops to 10V
>buy new battery because one in there is old as shit already
>so new alternator and battery
>battery at 12.56 volt before startup
>start up car and check running voltage
>13.6 on warm up cycle
>begins to idle normal - 13
>drive it around with lights on and still get around 12 when coming to a stop
>with lights, radio, ac also
>doesn't seem to drop below 11.7 ever, but that's way low still

Any tips? I didn't do a voltage drop test yet because I swapped batteries before going to work. So technically this could be a grounding issue.
Old battery is for sure crapped out it wont stay charged past 10. Old alternator might have still been fine, I haven't taken it back for core yet.
I did notice that with the new alternator my car seems to idle a bit quieter (old one sounded a bit grindy imo). Voltage regulator is inside alt

so possibilities rn: bad new alt from oreilly's
bad grounds
something causes huge amp draw?
>>
File: 1496892994083.jpg (112KB, 750x753px) Image search: [Google]
1496892994083.jpg
112KB, 750x753px
Hey guys after only riding sports bikes on the road I've decided I'm gonna get a car licence and a dirtbike what's a fun car I can buy that will also pull 2 dirtbikes or a utility that can be fun on its own when I'm not riding? (ausfag BTW)
>>
File: vw-golf-r.jpg (63KB, 626x382px) Image search: [Google]
vw-golf-r.jpg
63KB, 626x382px
Should I buy a Golf R Mk6?
>>
File: 121.jpg (16KB, 462x257px) Image search: [Google]
121.jpg
16KB, 462x257px
>>17334666
I've got a 1999 Nissan Frontier with the KA24DE

I purchased it non-running and put a head on it.

Compression on all cylinders is ~120psi
Fuel comes out of the fuel line in the on position
Spark plugs looked ok but I replaced them anyway, it has spark

But it won't start.

It's sat about a week since my last post, I got a bigger battery(750cca), a fuckhuge groundwire for the starter, and new plugs.It sat with the battery unplugged.

It fired about 10 times, almost stumbled to life, and died, and then wouldn't fire again. I hooked my scantool up to it and found some of the live data odd:

Fuel pressure system 1: OL
Spark advance: 63.5*

The starter is toast but can get the engine to ~120rpm the first couple of cranks, but now I'm wondering if the ECM is actually bad because the fueling system works, and the distributor is in time at #1 at TDC
>>
I have no idea about cars and need to get one. I rarely have to move more than 3 people (including me), and don't often need to transport lots of junk. I'd like good fuel efficiency.
What should I be looking for?
>>
>>17347902
A hatchback probably, what is your price limit? Take a look at the sticky up top.
>>
>>17345096
N
>>
>>17337356
Get the 351 for a bolt in swap or do an ls swap if you want more power.

400 is more than enough, and was shit load back in the day so no given what it is, and what it was making out from factory its not that bad.
>>
Don't know jack shit about cars. <5k budget. I am using the sticky to guide me but how the hell do I make sure I am not getting fucked? Money is tight and I can't afford a fuck up.
>>
>>17346568
Yes but if you're a decent driver the slippage should be minimal. Clutches in most cars can last 100k miles.

The problem with slippage is that it creates head and that heat glazes the flywheel making it difficult for the clutch plate to grab.
>>
>>17334666
I got a 2011 Mazda2. Is it good car? Can it dorifto?
>>
>>17346898
What is the car?

Don't think you're winding it out long enough. Most gas engines make their powerband above 3-4k, that can be even higher than that if its smaller in displacement and piston number.
>>
>>17348013
By getting the PO to take it to a mechanic (a small offer of money to do this will help) and doing a shit load of research about common faults with said car.
>>
>>17348042
Related question, whats the guide on finding a mechanic that isn't a shitbag? There aren't many garages out here that I know of. Mostly dealership guys or chains. Would taking it to either of those be reliable?
>>
why shouldn't i but a maxima if im already buying a v6 accord?
>>
>>17348095
because you don't need two shitboxes
>>
File: best turbo.jpg (61KB, 1000x507px) Image search: [Google]
best turbo.jpg
61KB, 1000x507px
>>17334666
So, I need someone to walk me through some shit. I'm thinking about buying a car on the other side of the country, without having physically seen it. Now, I know that it's riskier than just buying locally, but I'm pretty set on wanting this car.

My question is about getting a pre-purchase inspection done. Namely, how to actually do it if I'm not there. Do I call the shop I want to do it and have them go get the car, or does the shop selling the car go take it to the guy I want?

I just don't know the protocol here and don't want to come off as a fucking rube. Especially not to the guy I'm going to be haggling with over the phone.

Help me /o/, you're my only hope.
>>
File: Sonett3.jpg (86KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Sonett3.jpg
86KB, 1024x768px
>>17348069
Piggy backing off this guy's question:
Anyone know where to find a listing of reliable saab techs in the bay area?
>>
>>17348099
good point
>>
>>17348033
Also, do Scion iA parts fit a Mazda 2?
>>
>>17348069
Take it to an indie that specializes that brand of car. Avoid chains and dealerships.

Not saying all dealerships and Chains are bad but they focus on profit margins instead of actually helping you.
>>
>>17348137
If they're the same platform then yes for the most part.
>>
>>17334666
My teenage sister borrowed mum's tiida, and now the brakes are grinding on metal. What could she have done in a half hour car ride to cause that?
>>
>>17348106
How much would it cost to fly out just look at the car one weekend?
>>
>>17335561
That's not underdrive, that's just weight reduction.

The idea behind underdrive pulleys is to reduce the percent of power lost to accessory drive when the engine is at high revs for long periods.
>>
>>17347495
Manuel XR6T ute
>>
Is the 2015-2017 Tacoma a good daily if you plan on using it for other shit as well?
>>
>>17348189
Enough to make the car not worth it.
>>
>>17341820
Get a manual dohc Saturn s series... Dirt cheap and everywhere. Usually not riced
>>
I had to replace a wheel cylinder on my 97 Nissan last week. I was bleeding the air out of the brake line for that brake but do I need to do it to the other 3 as well?
>>
>>17348316
Typically no. unless you just want to flush your brakes while your doing it.
>>
>>17348322
Then I fucked up somehow because my brakes are not engaging like they used to
>>
>>17343327
post head
>>
>>17348347
Then you are going to have to flush all of them.
>>
>>17348416
What's the best indication that the line is 100% free of air?
>>
>>17348503
When you start seeing new fluid come out. Are you sure you're bleeding it correctly?

If you're doing it one man style, you should build up pressure in the brake by pumping them, then loosen the bleed and watch the air bubbles come out of the clear hose line attached to the bleeder, the fluid should flow for a bit then start to back up, Close the bleeder valve as soon as it starts to do that. Wash rinse repeat until you see no more bubbles or cleaner fluid.

They also make dyed brake fluid that helps with this, it tells you when you hit new fluid.
>>
>>17348536
>Are you sure you're bleeding it correctly?
I wasn't but that's good advice so I'll give it a try.
>>
>>17348559
Youll need to fully cycle pump the brake pedal at least 5 times, then push it to the floor and have it stay there. I usually put a stick in between the Seat and the pedal to keep it there.

If you've bought a one man kit it should have a few clear vinyl tubes with it, they usually have nipples that go into the middle of the bleeder but I usually ditch the nipples and force the line over the entire bleeder, as I've seen those nipples pull air in.

The other end should go in the little bottle in the kit be sure to put some fluid in there before you bleed, that way if it does inadvertently suck air back it won't suck a shit load.
>>
File: 93.jpg (400KB, 1600x1186px) Image search: [Google]
93.jpg
400KB, 1600x1186px
Early 90s volvo sedan has been seating with half tank of gas for a little less than two years. Has been driven once about ten months ago. Help? Tips on getting this car back on the road?
I know battery is very likely junk
>>
>>17348724
Add some fresh gas and jump start it. If it runs, check the fluids and change whatever needs it.
>>
>>17348724
I'd drain the gas, and flush all the fluids for starters. Then see if it will start.
>>
>>17348739
tips on draining the gas?
Disconect the lines and run the pump? I remember reading here someone advising against this but it seems the best idea to a dumbass like me.
>>
File: 1495864951502.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
1495864951502.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
What is this motorcycle on the right?
>>
What is granny shifting? Specifically referring to the Vin Diesel quote.
>>
after you wash your car is it a good idea to dry it off with the blower from an air compressor
>>
>>17348847
Driving slow, shifting at low revs, and making the synchros do all the work instead of rev matching.
>>
>>17348821
its a honda rvf400
>>
How hard is it to drive manual if I am a retard whose only car has a CVT? Is it feasable that I could buy a manual off craigslist and be able to get it home?
>>
>>17348909
Depends how much traffic there is between the car and your house. If you're going through downtown don't do it, if it's just side streets or highway then you might manage. I'd suggest you just invite a friend who can drive standard and have them drive you home though.
>>
Please suggest me a manual car that gets more than 40 MPG
>>
>>17348951
http://blog.caranddriver.com/the-10-most-fuel-efficient-gas-and-diesel-cars-for-sale-today/
>Ctrl+F 'manual'
>>
File: IMG_20170609_201702.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170609_201702.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Can someone tell me what car this is? Sorry for the bad photo.
>>
>>17348219
>>17347495
Sorry should have said needs 3 or more seats
>>
>>17349022
c4 corvette win a nice body kit
>>
My headlights are all scratched up from the inside, is it worth it to get a new headlight cover and replace the old one or just get new headlights?
>>
>>17349022
a 300ZX with a Nismo bodykit
>>
>2.3k for an 87 Golf with 195k miles on it
Is it anywhere near worth? The car looks to be in near pristine condition, visually inside and out. Also has a clean title.
>>
File: 1490806480769.jpg (88KB, 511x896px) Image search: [Google]
1490806480769.jpg
88KB, 511x896px
>>17335640
>historical evidence states the contrary
it literally doesn't tho????
>>17336994
>Modern society only is, due to the Greeks, Romans, British, and white Americans
Yea, no. more like greeks, romans, Europeans and Asians. nice delusion. americans haven't achieved shit.

and all of this equates to jack shit because you haven't achieved or invented anything. just because you are the same skin color of someone else doesn't somehow give you their achievements.
>>
File: Therefore Aliens.png (164KB, 461x403px) Image search: [Google]
Therefore Aliens.png
164KB, 461x403px
Sup b/o/ys
What's the best substance I can mix with fuel to decarbonize and break down oil buildup in a rotary engine? I scored a Sachs 303 from a snowmobile and would like to just open it to Clean it but finding new seals and gaskets for these things is harder than finding stock unriced 80s-90s jdm.
>>
>>17349233
t. Kang, We W.
>>
File: 1496125295012.png (489KB, 604x464px) Image search: [Google]
1496125295012.png
489KB, 604x464px
Hey guys I know tires are really important and all that and you shouldn't skimp out on buying something that could potentially keep you alive but...

Is $300 bucks enough for decent quality tires?
I'm on a real low budget I know.
>>
File: 1434514093058.png (12KB, 311x218px) Image search: [Google]
1434514093058.png
12KB, 311x218px
Any recommended speakers for general listening? Mostly synthwave, sometimes dnb, sometimes rock or metal.
>>
>>17348038
03 celica gts
>>
When / how often should one change transmission and differential oil?
>>
File: 00A0A_vSTM8SoJ85_600x450.jpg (31KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00A0A_vSTM8SoJ85_600x450.jpg
31KB, 600x450px
found a 02 wrx hatchback for 6.5k, only got an exhaust mod
127k miles
seller says its starting to have a boost creep, dont know what that is but will prob be willing to pay/fix myself
cop or nah? greater LA region, need a car within 2weeks-ish
>>
>>17349360
It's enough for tires, but not quality ones. Just don't try racing or any hard maneuvering on them.
>>
>>17349558
Most people never do. If you've just bought a car and it's over 10 years old, definitely do it ASAP
>>
>>17349250
Use water from a spray bottle and spray it into the intake while you rev the engine
>>
>>17349159
Old Golfs are P common in most of the world, just don't bother with a 200k mile one imo
>>
>>17348847
Changing up too early
>>17348862
This post is an example of why you shouldn't just guess when you answer questions
>>
>>17348208
People buy underdrive pulleys that aren't for superchargers so they spin faster?
>>
Is there a car that is similar to Porsche 924 and/or FC Mazda RX-7 (mainly as far as looks, handling and ride quality is concerned) but is newer and more reliable?
>>
What are some signs windshield wipers need replaced? Mine skip but they look fine.
>>
Is there a list of stock spring rates on various cars?
>>
>>17349733
Twingo
>>
File: race2.jpg (1MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
race2.jpg
1MB, 1600x1200px
>>17348106
Bumping question. Someone fucking help me.

>>17349747
If they skip or leave streaks, they're not working. you could try cleaning them and see if that helps.

>>17349733
How much newer? You're not going to find pop-ups on anything past the 90's. And boxy FR coupes are a thing of the past.

>>17350187
Just look up your individual car's specs. Are you shopping based on spring rates or something?

>>17349360
It'll net you a set of all-season go-arounds. Wouldn't do any serious driving on them.

>>17349128
Scratched on the inside? Are you sure? Also need to know what model and year.
>>
>>17347982
SHEIT
>>
What does /o/ think about the newer (after 2000) Volvo's? I rarely even see older volo's mentioned in threads.
>>
>>17350615
Not bad, more appliance like than the previous gens but not bad, I want an XC70 tbqh
>>
>>17335845
You fucking idiot

Get a bill of sale and drive it back without plates. You get a fucking grace period you don't have to do dumb shit, it's not your problem what the previous owner didn't do, just be sure to get a fucking title
>>
>>17336691
Lost a wheel weight or something similar
>>
>>17336885
Stripped down
Crappy rotary engine
Runs like shit
Weebs love it
Nobody actually owns one

Sounds like /o/
>>
>>17339114
Chilton for your make and model
Library if you're a no car
>>
>>17341113
Dust plate

Also did you Jack it up and rotate the wheel to reproduce. Ought to be obvious hand rotating
>>
>>17341468
>>17341496
Chalkboard paint is not good paint tho

Just paint it, you're ruining it anyway
>>
>>17334666
Which oil leaves the least shit behind?
I'm only going to be using for about 500 miles so I can clean out using seafoam
After that I'll go back to full synthetic
>>
>>17344597
Rwd to 4wd is easy, especially if there are models with 4x4 (eg Cherokee)

Fwd I don't even know how you'd connect a t-case honestly, prob easier to swap engine and everything else.
>>
>>17348123
Yelp
>>
How does one drive in stop and go traffic with out riding the clutch, like in the city? Also when i'm checking out potential cars how will I know if the clutch needs to be replaced? Pls no bully am autotragic convert I have seen the light.
>>
>>17348106
Fly out, do it yourself

I got completely fucked going through a broker doing exactly this. Basically they said everything was great it showed up trashed, got free tires for ass pain and six months later had to take a huge loss because it had 3/4 purchase price in desperately needed repairs (entire steering subframe for starts)
>>
>>17349558
Get them dipped
>>
>>17349747
Streaking, missing chunks, not cleaning
>>
I have always wanted a RX-7 for it's chassis and suspension that supposedly offers both great handling characteristics and good ride quality. However I have never been interested in their special snowflake rotary engines or more specifically the constant need of maintaining them. On my local on various cars an FC RX-7 that has had it's engine swapped to a X20XEV engine has popped up and really I'm tempted to buy it.

However I don't know shit about Opel engines, is X20XEV any good?
>>
>>17350774
Why do you care? You could use ten year old unfiltered French fry oil from a rusty drum and it wouldn't make a difference.
>>
>>17350853
I was just wondering if any of you guys had any suggestions
I was probably going with the cheapest oil possible anyways
>>
>>17350786
It's possible you're going to destroy the clutch in whatever you learn in anyway. In any case just have them check it at the shop where you get it inspected.

In creeping traffic you ride the friction point without the accelerator. Basically exactly how you learn stick properly in the first place.

In stop and go you stop and go. Le textra room develop instead of moving 6"at a time. It's basics the same as having a stop sign every 10 feet.

Don't ever use your parking brake for hill starts is a meme. Actually just categorically never listen to anything anyone on /o/ ever says.
>>
>>17350875
The cheapest best thing is leave the fucking synth in for an extra 500
>>
File: 2013-04-13082750_zpsdd8a0686.jpg (123KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2013-04-13082750_zpsdd8a0686.jpg
123KB, 1024x768px
hello friends

can anyone identify these rims?

they're 13"
>>
>>17350889
The extra room can be a problem here in nyc where everyone just merges like crazy. Should I bring a mechanic with me to check out cars? I know a little bit to look for but on a manual I wouldn't know if a clutch is worn or not.
>>
I've got a "P0031 Heater control circuit low" check engine light, and I'm having a surprisingly hard time finding documentation on how I can fix that. Can I just replace the o2 sensor to solve this, or is it more complicated?
>>
>>17351142
More details: It's o2 sensor, not a|f sensor.
2010 mazda 3
>>
>>17350808
Did you have a mechanic that you paid look at it, or did you trust the broker trying to sell you the car?
>>
Usually in any other car when you pull on the lever the high beam flashes.
Yet in my na miata the lights cut off.
Is this by design or is there something broken?
>>
>>17351456
Could be either the bulb or the wiring.
>>
>>17351507

When i push the lever the high beat works fine.

I will look into wiring stuff.
>>
File: 2.4siksna.jpg (494KB, 850x567px) Image search: [Google]
2.4siksna.jpg
494KB, 850x567px
Can someone name a list of parts i need for a timing belt change on a 01 C5 A6 quattro?

2.4 V6 apparently is a bitch to work on. pic related 2.4 on a A4
>>
Gents, I just R&Red my Daily's A/T, and I got a few ATF stains on the asphalt. any tips on getting them out? products, etc?
>>
>>17351525
timing belt parts:
belt 078109119H
idler pulley 078109244H
tensioner damper 078109479H
tensioner pulley 078109243S
Should be able to get the above as a kit, Audi part number would be 078198479 but getting Audi branded parts is pretty dumb anyway.
Serpentine belt parts:
tensioner 078903133AB
belt (with A/C) 078903137BC
belt (without A/C) 078903137AP

You will also need some tools:
-something to get off the radiator fan (skinny wrench and a 2-hole counterholder thingy, VAG numbers 3313 and 3312 respectively)
-camshaft sprocket puller (VAG calls them T40001 but I guess just use whatever)
-camshaft holding bar VAG 3391, equivalents to these can be had very cheap
-countering tool for camshaft sprockets VAG 3036
-crankshaft holder VAG 3242
-a skinny nail (or the VAG special tool T40011) to keep the timing belt tensioner compressed
All the timing belt related tools should be available as a 3rd party manufactured set on ebay or similar for around $100 if I recall correctly.

I HIGHLY recommend you download the Audi ELSA and ETKA from rutracker and install them in a VM. Very useful info in there, more than I can put in this post.

Use Win7 64 to install that stuff, WinXP didn't work for me.
>>
>>17351732
Ah shit I totally forgot the water pump:
Coolant pump & seal 078121006

Now again, all the numbers I posted are VAG original part numbers. Getting them from a dealer would be foolishly expensive, just use them for reference.
>>
I got some questions:

1) Where can I go throw away the backseats of my car (I took them out to have camping space)? No one on Greglist wants to buy them, and I don't want to dump them on some parking lot like a degenerate.

2) How long can a car run with oil in the spark plugs? I found oil on 2/4 spark plugs in one of my cars but it has been running like a champ for a year. The spark plug wasnt fouled, just oil on the well and the threads.

3)I want to re-paint one of my cars because Idk it'd just make me happy but Im not sure if itd be a good idea. What would you do /o/?
>>
File: 00C0C_hYIeYngxmFA_600x450.jpg (22KB, 337x450px) Image search: [Google]
00C0C_hYIeYngxmFA_600x450.jpg
22KB, 337x450px
I've been looking for a cheap, reliable commuter car recently. Especially hatches.

Why are base model Ford Fiestas so cheap right now? In the San Diego region they are plentiful and inexpensive. The Honda fit of the same range is nearly 40% (2k) higher in price. I understand hate for the failing auto trans but I thought the manuals were supposed to be reliable?

Should I be steering away from these?

Example:
https://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/cto/6134749719.html
>>
Ive been driving a five speed civic fpr anfew weeks now and i try to avoid places where i might have to start on hills but i practice at home on a paved hill and i typically may squeal the tires taking off on a hill

occasionally it will stall but sometimes it goes smooth but anlot of the times it goes well but the tires will chirp

should i be embarassed or is this okay? i am trying
>>
File: audi-RS6-62-1280.jpg (163KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
audi-RS6-62-1280.jpg
163KB, 1280x960px
>>17351732
>>17351753
didnt exect this, major thanks senpai
>>
>>17351843
Damn I just checked my local craigslist and they're similarly cheap and plentiful. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://lakeland.craigslist.org/cto/6167177430.html
>>
>>17351843
Get a first gen manual fit sport

I bought mine 4 years ago and have driven it all over the country. total champ
>>
>>17351885
No problem. Do download ETKA and ELSA though, that shit is hella informative.
>>
File: 1488927374334.jpg (174KB, 721x773px) Image search: [Google]
1488927374334.jpg
174KB, 721x773px
>>17351923
It's really a Fit or a Fiesta for me, but I was really leaning towards a Fiesta due to the significantly lower price point and fun steering. (Must be the local spics jacking up the price by jacking off Honda)

I'll try to see if I can give the Fit a drive sometime, a friend of mine was shilling it hard anyways.
>>
>>17334666
Is it safe to remove the battery on a car that may sit from a couple days to weeks long outside in temps ranging from -10°C to 20 in the same day?

Its a mechanical injection diesel engine, the key recognition from the ecu was kind of nulled out
>>
>>17351927
So those are just catalogues? Different anon, just wondering if i could get something like this for my car (03 celica), or just to learn about other cars
>>
>>17351945
yeah its not going to be used for anything if the car is off anyways
>>
>>17351989
ETKA is the parts catalogue for the whole VAG group, ELSA is the repair information system, which also has packages for all the VAG manufacturers.
Toyota's systems are called EPC and Techstream, pic related. I think Techstream is kinda like BMW's ISTA-D in that it combines diagnostic functions with the technical information system - I just hope for your sake it's not as much of a clusterfuck as ISTA.

I used to go on those weird as fuck car software forums like MHHAuto and GarageForum that have the weirdest board culture ever (you should check it out for a laugh - lots of strange smileys) and force you to either pay for torrents or use shitty one-click hosters. Then I found out that everything's actually on rutracker and I strongly suspect the faggots on those forums actually get their stuff from there. It seems the actual crackers/releasers chill there, they sometimes answer questions in the torrent threads.

tl;dr
They're catalogues and technical information databases, you can get them from the russkies for almost any manufacturer.
>>
>>17341620
Nothing matters. After enough winters, the runners will rust through from within. Somehow, the salt water makes it's way to the inside of the runners. There is no stopping it.
>>
>>17348590
I prefer using a hand vacuum pump for my bleeding needs. One man easy.
>>
>>17341865
I hear that they can be expensive if you can't wrench on them yourself
>>
>>17348185
Some people have a habit of braking with the left foot, either automatic and manual tranny, which results in some time leaving the foot on the brake constantly

Other than that, maybe some boyricer tried ricing and in the meantime used the brakes constantly at high speeds
>>
File: 1439931776913.jpg (145KB, 659x609px) Image search: [Google]
1439931776913.jpg
145KB, 659x609px
>>17352530
>not left foot braking for hektik powerslides
git gud
>>
>>17349575
>>17350389
Fuck threads about to die but...

How much do you guys spend on your tires?
$300 - $500?
$500 - $1000?
I decided I'm just going to wait and save up a little more.
Thread posts: 326
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.