[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I take it?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: kawasaki-gpz1100b1.jpg (225KB, 1600x929px) Image search: [Google]
kawasaki-gpz1100b1.jpg
225KB, 1600x929px
The place I am working at part time has had a Kawasaki GPZ (I don't know the displacement yet) sitting in the corner for a while.
I asked my boss what the deal with it is and he said it was there when he bought the property, and I can have it if I want.
The registration sticker says '85, so that is probably the last time it ran.
I've wanted a project bike for a while, but don't have a lot of experience. How difficult would it be to fix/restore something like this?
>>
Why wouldn't you take it? Just empty out old fluids, borrow a battery, and check fuel/air/spark.
>>
Take it if it's free and you can easily obtain the title. Otherwise avoid it. If it's been sitting you'll need to likely rebuild everything except for the engine and transmission. Mwaning all chassis bearings will need grease at best, replacing at worst, likely new fork seals and definitely new fork oil. If the fork tubes are rusted or pitted you'll need new forks. The brakes are likely no good from sitting and the calipers and master cylinders should be rebuilt and the lines must be replaced. Both drive sprockets and the drive chain likely need replacing. All your control cables are likely in need of replacing. You will certainly need to rebuild all the carbs and install new tires.

This is all assuming the engine and electronics are okay. If not good fuckin luck lol.

Like I said if it's free and can be registered for the road easily enough it might be fun to dick with. Just don't expect it to be reliable or even safe to ride unless you put a few thousand into it. You will spend more time working on that thing than you will riding it.
>>
>>17332249
Is there any sort of guide for how to do stuff like this or do I just find a problem and google it?
>>
>>17333877
How do you do anything, anon, you helpless fuckwit?
>>
File: 20170606_204539.jpg (2MB, 2576x1932px) Image search: [Google]
20170606_204539.jpg
2MB, 2576x1932px
>mounting this on my helmet
>directing everyone's attention to what I'm looking at
>don't fuck with me
>turn your brights off trust me
>>
>>17332076
Have you asked /dbt/?
I mean it's free but you have to put on new tires at least, most likely break lines and clean the carbs - nothing hard about that
>>
You'll probably have to strip everything down and remove all the old fluids and replace a lot of the external moving parts like bearings and seals. Running a compression test is a must. Also good luck if it's got anything wrong with the electricals - most guys I know who restore bikes as a hobby usually just strip the bikes right down to the frame and then do the wiring from scratch.
>>
>>17333962
I now realize how dumb that sounded.
I sort of meant is there anything I could follow instead of just googling
>my bike don't run
or describing some broken part or something.
Kind of like how there are "restoration manuals", for lack of a better term, that shows you schematics and all the parts and what to look for to see if one is broken.
>>
>>17334045
Like for classic cars.
My father has restored a few and I have seen those while growing up.
>>
File: kz1000p.jpg (934KB, 2848x2136px) Image search: [Google]
kz1000p.jpg
934KB, 2848x2136px
>>17332076
It could be a Gpz 550, 750, 1100, or 750 turbo, in which case you must ship it to me at once.

The Gpz550 is one of the all-time greats, the bike that got the whole midsize sportbike thing rolling. The 600's of today owe everything to it...

Fixing this would not be a quick project, but if you enjoy working on stuff, and aren't all GOTTA RIDE NOW it could be a lot of fun. I revived a Kawasaki police bike from the same period, took me almost a year, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I didn't rush, could have done it faster.

You will have to replace everything rubber, which isn't as bad as it sounds, just time consuming. Outfits like z1 enterprises will have parts like intake boots, and generic fuel hose is generic. The O-rings in the carbs will have shrunk and as you will be rebuilding four carbs, get the Harbor Freight big metric O-ring set. All the rubber you need for the carbs in the correct sizes for almost no money.

Also, go look on kzrider for the support of other owners.

Have fun!
>>
>>17334045
There are scans of factory repair manuals (which are written for fuckwit dealer techs) available online if you search. You want the FACTORY manual rather than a Chiltons if you can find it, they are much more complete.
>>
File: received_1915417392058018.jpg (215KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
received_1915417392058018.jpg
215KB, 1440x1080px
OP here
Here's a picture of the actual bike.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.