[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Toyota reliability real or just a meme? Thinking of buying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault (5).jpg (76KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (5).jpg
76KB, 1280x720px
Is Toyota reliability real or just a meme? Thinking of buying a Tacoma but unsure of the high miles these things tend to have.
>>
>>17328779
A well taken care of domestic truck will be just as reliable. For what a used Toyota costs you can lease a brand new full sized truck which will be more reliable than a used Toyota.
>>
Toyota 4 cylinder trucks are reliable as shit, stay away from the 3.0L v6, the 3.4 v6 has some of the same problems but not as bad, everything beyond to my knowledge is gold
>>
>>17328779
It's not a meme, but they are certainly not worth the premium that people and dealers charge for them

>Shopping for trucks/SUVs
>2013 4runner
>91k miles
>Asking $23k
>>
>>17328779
shitboxes of legends
>>
>>17329084

This but the 4 cylinder is also extremely underpowdered for a truck. I was having issues pulling a trailer with two snowmobiles.
>>
Ugh. Brb firing up epsxe.
>>
>>17328779
Toyota was reliable because in the 80's they were crude as fuck and where cheap.

Once Toyota stopped being crude, they just became overpriced.

Hilux's are a meme, 80's models rust like fuck, 90's ones are gutless as fuck and everything after is just over priced electrical garbage.

Landcrusiers are a meme, old ones are super crude and unergonomic (fuel tank under seat, have to be fucken tojo to fit under the steering wheel) and rust like fuck.
Late ones are just massively overpriced (can buy a LDV/SSangyong for $30k new here and have nice interiors.

Donno much about Toyota passenger cars, we have a couple of 80's/90's Coronas and Corrollas, 90's ones seem to be better? But rust showing though factory paint everywhere and plastic breaks like fuck.
>>
File: 1445282363024.jpg (2MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
1445282363024.jpg
2MB, 3888x2592px
>>17328779
>be needing a cheap fast car
>enter an $200 '89 camry
>not even the good camry, 2vz-fe
>bad usage patterns
>flogged with 71,000 miles the first three years of its life
>gets up to 110k around 2003 after being a used lease vehicle(?)
>at least it was well maintained and driven regularly until this point
>sold to PO
>took 14 years to put 30k miles on it
>all stop and go short trips
>then it was even more disused and neglected
>almost positive he never changed trans fluid
>Oil filter is rusty, loose, and leaking
>diff. is howling when i get it
>change fluid, replace PCV valve
>top off oil, leave rust filter on however
>diff. howling stops
>oil pissing subsides
>somehow passes emissions test with below average results
>literally amazed
the 90's toyotas had better rustproofing
my dads 1980 p/u also had rust problems
and that seems to be them main complaint i hear
>>
>>17328779
The high mileage should indicate just how reliable they are.

Simply put, if you want reliability, always go with a Japanese car, namely Toyota or Honda
>>
>>17328779
Not a meme. I've got a 10yr old lexus and couldn't be happier, I put 35k miles a year on it too. Other people in my profession own things like prius, camry, corolla and avalon. They're reliable as fuck, nice to drive, cheap to fix, and overall not bad for new England winters

If you're thinking of buying a toyota product but are worried about reliability, you're barking up the wrong tree
>>
>>17328779
It's real, there is a reason even CIAISIS uses them: they never need a mechanic
>>
>>17328784
>10mpg vs 20mpg
>>
>>17328784
Unless you live in flyoveristan, this meme is bullshit.
>>
>>17329084

3.0 V6 has issues?

Asking about the 1FR
>>
>>17329686

I've read about oil sludging if you aren't changing oil every 5k miles.
>>
>>17328779
It kind if depends what you are using it for. I've found that Toyota, and other Japanese trucks, are great for a homeowner. But when it comes to work site trucks, they just don't make the cut. American cars may vary in quality, but their trucks are solid.
>>
>>17328779
>mfw that jazzy Gran Turismo music started playing in my head immediately when I saw this image
>>
File: mrdos.jpg (118KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
mrdos.jpg
118KB, 640x480px
>>17328779

Toyota reliability is real. No oil and dirt and rocks in coolant from previous owner and years of sitting and my mr2 still works. It sat for a year like that when I bought it then I DD'd it for a year while I was working on my main car. Then bent a tie rod and parked it for a year because to lazy to replace and working on my main car again. There were leaves and dirt and shit in a hole in the coolant bottle, it burned tons of oil from being ran with no oil from the previous owners all at over 200k and that was all before I learned manual and DDd it for a year. After my main cars done Im gonna get a 20V 4age and new transmission and redo the suspension for her.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.