[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /o/ I have about 30 hours into driving stick, both highway

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: stickshift-main[1].jpg (53KB, 650x400px) Image search: [Google]
stickshift-main[1].jpg
53KB, 650x400px
Hey /o/ I have about 30 hours into driving stick, both highway and heavy traffic but I suck too much at it and get anxious and arrive sweaty and stressed out at my destination.

I'm worried about destroying the transmission or get into a car crash. It's mostly about stalling in stoplights and jerk shifting.

Is that normal or should I go back to riding the bus?
>>
Feel the car
>>
Depends on your personality. If you are very insecure, you will need longer to feel comfortable. Ask yourself if you wouldn't be comfier driving auto. Then you can concentrate on the traffic more.
>>
>>17326751
drink a few beers before you go out next time. it will help you relax and not give a fuck
>>
>>17326751
you're just thinking way too hard. Europeans can do it and they're all stupid as fuck. you'll be fine. keep working at it.
>>
do you stall much at traffic lights? ive only drove one for about two hours and at first i stalled a lot and that made me nervous but got a little better. i really sucked at hill starts though so if i get a stick car one day im gonna need to practice that

ive moved a few diesel pickups and dude theres like no way to stall them as long as you start in first, just ease off the clutch and youre going

the only thibg i dont understand is how you can ease around backing up or in a parking lot unless you just stop and go a lot

best of luck to you bro
>>
>>17326796
this

No part of it is intuitive but if you've had decent dexterity in the past you'll get the hang of it. You don't have to be smart to drive stick, you just have to be able to develop muscle memory and have decent predictive skills
>>
>>17326751
Just keep practicing. You'll get over it. Also, try to avoid watching the tach.
>>
What engine powers the car you're going to use?
>>
>>17326751
Yes it is normal.

Heed this advice: >>17326760
>>
>>17326751
Only 30 hours? It'll take you a bit longer until you're comfortable, don't be discouraged. My recommendation is go practice. Go out at night and find places to drive around and practice, traffic lights, hill starts, etc.
>>
>>17326751
it's normal at the begginig.
as other anons said, go and practice, it's the best way to learn until you can do it without thinking (it doesn't take that long, actually).

where i live automatics are a rarity and i see old people and women driving manual without much trouble.
>>
>>17326751
from one initiate to another, forget about the car and just keep driving, and, for lack of a better way to describe it, make car sounds. Forget everything you think you know or don't know about mechanics and shifting/when to shift/how to clutch/am I destroying my car/my car is dead oh shit, and just do the car thing. You are a car. Don't give up, drive with people who drive manual if you can or have them drive your car and just be sensitive to how the car feels and sounds when they do it. As far as rough shifts, first to second is my hardest, but keep driving down an empty road and shifting up and down until you get a feel for where the rpm's want to be, at any speed/gear you should be able to gauge where the rpm's roughly want to be to shift based off engine sound and tach patterns. clutch work gets faster in the higher gears, but it's always a smooth motion. On hills or stoplights, you can e-brake, give yourself some revs, and find the bite point, release the brake, and you're off. It's a good exercise for getting used to the clutch.
You'll fucking ejaculate when it starts to come together, it's worth it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.