[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which Would be Better?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: cars.jpg (79KB, 662x232px) Image search: [Google]
cars.jpg
79KB, 662x232px
I'm a first-time car buyer who just got his license.

My aunt and my grandpa each have a car they're willing to sell me, but I'm on the fence about them.

The first is my Grandpa's 2000 Cadillac Deville.
>$4500
>60k miles, only two owners
>17/24 mpg
>near perfect condition, grandpa was a mechanic and always kept it well maintained
>very light use, he rarely drives it anymore since he has so many cars now
>the only issue with it is that the leather in the driver's seat is a bit torn from old age

My main concern is that I'd be paying too much for it. Otherwise it seems like a great deal, but I'm still new to all this.

My aunt's car is a 2007 Camry LE.
>$2500
>167k miles
>24/34 MPG
>suffers from excessive oil consumption that was rampant with this model year of Camry
>would need to get an oil change every 3k miles and check on oil levels weekly
>otherwise in very good condition, never been in any accidents and no other major issues

It'd be much cheaper up front, but the oil consumption issue would require me to keep tabs on things much more often than I would need to with the Cadillac.

I can buy the Camry right now, but I'd have to wait a while before I can afford the Deville. Would it be worth waiting/saving for it?

Either car would mainly be used for driving to and from work, and not much else.
>>
>>17319251
camry is much better than that junk northstar.

Buy $2500 Camry. Post it to craigslist for $5000-6000
Some teen girl's parents will buy it for her. Then go buy a car that isn't shit.
>>
>>17319251
Neither. Post your local Craigslist.
>>
>>17319303
>Buy $2500 Camry. Post it to craigslist for $5000-6000
In the US it's illegal to sell cars for a profit unless you have a dealer's license. You can serve up to 5 years in jail and/or a fine of $100,000 if you are caught curbstoning.
>>
>>17319361
And nobody will give a fuck unless you do it at scale

That's FBI called in on a mexican running a shady car lot shit not local PD shit
>>
>>17319361
You don't need a license unless you sell more than like 5 cars
>>
Buy both, swap the Northstar engine with the Camry's V6.

Sell the Camry for scrap, now you have a reliable american landbarge.
>>
>>17319251
>well maintained land boat with low miles vs a bright red girl car with oil problems
Get the deville
>>
Post 2000 northstar sent so bad, but the deville does seem slightly too expensive. Corolla sounds like a pos. As recommended l, check your local Craigslist or equivalent
>>
If the Caddy's really really really well maintained and he's already replacd the head gasket go for that, otherwise go to Craigslist and tell your senpai thanks but no thanks.
>>
What's the deal with Northstar engines? Are really that unreliable?
>>
>>17319361
This is objectively wrong.
>>
>>17320799
GM stopped making them. I suspect there's a reason or two why...
>>
>buy both
>daily camry for nice little commuter
>weekend DeVille for maximum comfy and low mileage
>>
>>17319251
3k civic would be better than both
>>
as much as i love caddies, the northstar isn't very good.

buy it if you intend to put new northstarperformance head studs on it and enjoy it for the rest of your life
>>
>>17319352

I'm not sure if this is what you meant, but

https://nashville.craigslist.org/search/cta?postal=37013&search_distance=50

Budget would be no more than $3500 if I go this way.
>>
>>17321018
And Chrysler stopped making straight-sixes. You think there's a reason or two why?
>>
>>17319251
i dont believe that the deville makes 24 mpg highway. calling bullshit. ive driven one and i barely made it from vaughan to brampton and back on 3/4 tank
>>
>>17320799
Oil leaks, mostly.

Head gaskets, too.

But generally not until higher miles...100k plus.

I'd get the caddy...but maintain it. Especially the coolant. You don't want to lose a head bolt.
>>
Buy that Cadillac. Negotiate with your grandfather. He's pricing it high because he wants you to talk business like a real man, not get sloppy seconds like your aunt is offering you. The headgasket meme is from people not knowing to use Dexcool, which was relativity new at the time, very common these days. The Cadillac is bigger, roomier, more luxurious.
>>
>>17319251
That Cadillac would go for $3500 on craigslist, your grandpa is scamming you.

>suffers from excessive oil consumption that was rampant with this model year of Camry
>would need to get an oil change every 3k miles and check on oil levels weekly

If it burns oil so bad you never need to change it, just keep topping it off.

Honestly I would just start looking on craigslist
>>
>>17320799

early ones had serious headgasket issues caused by bad headbolts that would react bad to the aluminum head/block, lifting the head and ruining the headgasket.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170604-215044.png (1MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170604-215044.png
1MB, 1440x2560px
>>17322737
See
>>
>>17319361
One of the worst posts I've ever seen
>>
>>17321677
https://knoxville.craigslist.org/cto/6136364792.html

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6158268306.html

https://nashville.craigslist.org/cto/6156043626.html

https://clarksville.craigslist.org/cto/6146850172.html

you should be willing to drive to at least knoxville for the right car.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.