[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: How to not die on a long drive.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 052.jpg (171KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
052.jpg
171KB, 1280x722px
I'm going to be making a 3,500 mile drive here in about 2 weeks. Just replaced my spark plugs and boots, bushings and ball joints in the front end, pinion seal, starter and fuel pump assembly over the past 3 weeks. What do you recommend on bringing for long trips? Extra oil, coolant, tools, and serpentine belt are already covered. Any advice would be appreciated.
>>
>>17305191
3500 miles in a Ranger? That doesn't sound fun at all.
>>
>>17305313
Hard no, I'm driving a '04 F250. Also that's a Ford Explorer.
>>
File: 088.jpg (258KB, 1280x722px) Image search: [Google]
088.jpg
258KB, 1280x722px
Bumping with picture of race Explorer
>>
>>17305191
>Not trusting your shitbox to make it to the next oil change

OP, it's 3500 miles. The only thing I'd bother bringing is an aired up spare.
>>
>>17305768
>what are 3000 mile oil change intervals
>>
>>17305780
Fill with high rated synthetic? That shit can hold up to 10k miles, but I'd probably change it after you get back.
>>
Cruise control, a radio to listen to, a good mixtape or CD for areas you won't have radio, make sure your AC works if you have it

Some snacks, some water, sun glasses, stop for food, stop to rest, stop to stretch your legs
>>
>>17305786
It'll take me 15 minutes in an auto zone parking lot to change it though.
>>
>>17305780

conventional gets changed at 3500 bro
synthetic at 5k

you must be one of those retards like my father that thinks you can go 10-15k without an oil change
>>
>>17305819
You (You)'d the wrong guy. I change my oil every 3,000 miles.
>>
>>17305191
diff fluid is surprisingly handy on long runs if you encounter any flooding prone areas. Some cheap ass basic roadside assistance gift card and reflectors/cones/flares aren't a bad idea either
>>
>>17305819
You must be one of the retards that never opens the manual for your vehicle, where it tells you exactly the intervals for oil changes.
>>
>>17305191
coolant flush would be a good ideal, especially if you're headed out west, with how much it's warmed up in the past few weeks.

Asides from that, a spare keg for gas, and bunches of snacks, munchies, and your beverages of choice.
>>
>>17305327
>I'm driving a '04 F250
6.0L?

Get roadside assistance coverage because you very well could need it.
>>
>>17306345
>implying I can afford a diesel
5.4 Triton. And no, none of the spark plugs broke.
>>
>>17306776
>5.4 Triton
sorry to hear that
>And no, none of the spark plugs broke.
non have broken yet, enjoy playing Russian roulette
>>
File: 1473199860622.jpg (32KB, 600x450px)
1473199860622.jpg
32KB, 600x450px
similar boat as op

>trying to fix ac for road trip
>summer
>mfw ac doesn't seem to want to accept recharge, but no evident leaks
>mfw leaving in 2 days
>>
>>17307044
Did you check the pressure in the high and low ends before recharging the system? The problem could be something besides "it needs refrigerant"
>>
>>17305819
What data do you have that can prove your father wrong?
>>
>>17307048
yeah checking it with manifold gauges, HF vac pump, and it holds vacuum for extended periods. not really sure what the low side should be reading when i'm trying to charge

Ran out of energy and light tonight, but my compressor started turning on and off real quick when trying to add r134a so i rigged one of the switches to make the compressor run constantly. didn't seem to take any, and air still blowing hot
did uv dye btw, and don't see any UV shit besides right around shraders
>>
>>17307011
It's called anti-seize fampai. Not that hard.
>>
>>17305191
>What do you recommend on bringing for long trips?
Look up in the archived threads for things people carry in their trunk besides a first aid kit. Otherwise, a cellphone and AAA membership card.

Be sure to have proof of insurance papers not just in your car, but in your wallet too.

If you get a slow leak, then a 12volt compressor air pump will let you refill enough air to limp for a few miles before you refill the tire again. That will let you get to a service station or tire center to get the tire patched. A hand air pump is slow and might only slightly outpace the air leak so refilling takes longer that way.
>>
File: 1495224500573.jpg (37KB, 572x439px)
1495224500573.jpg
37KB, 572x439px
>summer a few weeks out
>want to go to places far away
>car I got this spring does not have AC
>the ventilation fan squeaks really loud when I turn it on
>>
>>17305780
>>17305828
My manual calls for oil changes every 7,500 miles. With regular conventional oil.
>>
>>17309438
The manual can also be wrong. Years ago, there was the case where the manufacturer in eagerness to sell cars, had the manual printed up to show such long periods of time for conventional oil.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.