[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I went to a Subaru dealership a few days ago trying to buy a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: paddle shitters.jpg (73KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
paddle shitters.jpg
73KB, 640x480px
I went to a Subaru dealership a few days ago trying to buy a new shitbox and I said I wanted a manual car. The guy trying to shill me went on to inform me that Manual means nothing these days and you can just safely go automatic with paddle shifting and that even racecarfags just use automatic these days while utilizing the paddles.

Is this true /o/? Is the manual stickshift meme dead and unnecessary?
>>
>>17293711
She's right. Paddle shifters are better.
>>
>>17293711
>Is this true /o/? Is the manual stickshift meme dead and unnecessary?
If you have to ask after a dealerjew tried to sway you, then manual is not for you.
>>
>>17293711
now ask him what kind of automatic they sell

>CVT

Yeah go fuck yo'self mate.
>>
>>17293711

Depends on the car, gear box, how the software is handled, and what you intend to use it for.

If you're only going to commute in it, and only want the manual to avoid awkward gear selection/changes while going up/down hills, pretty much anything with paddles will suit you fine. Even CVT's aren't that bad, though I've never driven one with paddles. Power utilization is nearly as good as a stick, makes slow cars feel not quite so slow, and I always got a kick out of flooring it and just watching the tach sit at 6500 RPM for 20 seconds straight.

DCT's with paddles are basically the improved manual transmission. You still have clutches, still have the manual transmission basically, but now a computer engages or disengages gears for you. No real hydraulic coupling or torque converter, it's literally just a computer controlled manual. Faster gear changes, more accurate, will never miss a gear, everything that driver error could cause, DCT's fixed. Software and durability can be an issue in some cars - if it's set to preserve the trans life as much as possible, you may not get instant up/down shifts when you want them, as it might lag a touch to avoid slipping the clutch to infinity and shock loading the transmission. Also some cars, like the Fiestas, have constant problems with them. Avoid DCT Fiestas.

Most automatics today actually aren't all that bad, outside of trucks at least. They're relatively good at picking gears, have enough gears to have the right RPM most of the time, are relatively intelligent, and with the right lock up torque converter/programming set up from the factory, can basically split gears to be even more spot-on most of the time.

Trucks are still garbage though. Drove a 2012 Silverado a few times, all the bad things about autos - always changing gears, always in the wrong gear, lag when you smash the gas, shifting up/down at the wrong time - this truck had all of it.

Basically avoid auto trucks. Everything else is fine.
>>
>>17293775

The Silverado is really the only one with that issue. They still have it ironically, but the new Dodge/Ford trucks really don't have this issue. The new 8 and 10-speeds are actually pretty good. I just did a test drive yesterday between the 17 Chevy 1500, Ram 1500, and F-150. Chevy still can't shift worth shit and is jerky as can be. It would rev hang and then catch and jerk you back. The 8 speed in the Ram is smooth and pretty good at downshifting for power. The F-150 is even smoother. Both the Dodge and the Ford could be easily comparable to cars. A lot has changed since 2012, except Chevy.
>>
>>17293711
Remember that autos are usually more expensive on brand new cars. They might be tryinna shill you.

>manuals mean nothing these days

This is correct. I am a manuel fan, but nothing manual does autos cant do better.

>racecarfags just use automatics

This is not true. Racecars have sequential gearboxes. They are able to shift gears with no clutch, but its still a manual.

Unless rally cars, they i think are allowed to have DCT.
>>
>>17293711
Depends on the implementation. I have a friend with some Acura or other and the flappy padle implementation isn't responsive like on a higher end car and he complains about having to reliably make significant shifts.

Call me biased, but I just plain like manual, and I've never been in a situation where I'd rather have auto, not even stop and go traffic.
>>
I bought a 2017 taco. I wanted the 5spd stick, but they only offered that with the 4wd (which i didn't want). So now I've got an auto 6spd that is sluggish and cant decide when to change. Swap it into the "manual" mode, it takes forever to change gears, and it'll shift up and down on its own whether you want it to or not.
>>
>>17293883
>They are able to shift gears with no clutch
depends on the car

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdWSyrqEnE4
>>
>>17293976
That's what the ignition cut is for on the good sequential gears. Until paddle shifter electronic assisted instant response shifting from F1 is added, its gonna be almost always required for you to heel toe in these cars.
>>
>>17293711
if this is true, the salesman is horrible at his job and he is either desperate to push automatics or he just doesn't care about you and wants you to go away.

Also no, stickshift is still a good meem.
>>
You're at the dealer, test drive both.

Try to get the same car/same engine so you can make apples to apples comparison

Wait, have you driven stick before?
>>
>>17293775
Agree on dual clutches being god tier autos (most of the time) but you should try a ram with the zf 8 speed. Ram RT is a wicked truck and was always in the right gear, doesnt have paddles and doesnt even need them
>>
>paddle shifters in a sub 200 hp car

lmao
>>
>>17293883
I don't follow racing at all, but I believe a lot of them are sequential in the way a motorbike transmission is sequential: the shift pattern is up or down, but there's still a manual clutch.
>>
>>17294575
Yes. That's how sequential gearing works. Race trannys are literally bike trannys pumped up in size and resistances.
>>
>>17294583
Why aren't all manual transmissions like this? Seems like it'd be easier than H-pattern shifting, and potentially safer (you could always bang down to first, like a bike, in a panic start)
>>
>>17294590
Its not more useful. Its something that REMOVES control from you. The only reason they use it its because its FASTER than using standar gears. Specially since now the ignition cut wont require you to drop the throttle.

Still wish that F1 swapped back to stick shift tho.
>>
>>17294590
I like the H pattern for being able to pick any gear I want at any time. I'm not a professional racer, mind. But for normal road driving I find it useful.
>>
I suppose a drawback of a sequential is false neutrals.
>>
>>17293711
Go to a different dealership. Either that guy knows he doesn't have any manuals on the lot and he wants to sell you a car today to make that sweet. sweet commission or he's just a twat for trying to sell you something you don't want. Either way - shit salesman.
>>
>>17294567
>paddle shifters on a continously variable transmission
>paddle shifters
>continuously variable

paulwalkerchangesgearover9000times.webm
>>
>>17295025
useful for offroading where normal CVT behavior might make it difficult to maintain traction, but it's absolutely nothing like a traditional auto
tried the new Impreza with paddle shifters, the transmission stays engaged as the CVT slowly makes its way up to the requested ratio
took at least a second to get from "first" to "second", all the while the car is slowing down because I'm instinctively trying to revmatch when it's completely unnecessary
feels beyond wrong
>>
>>17295025
CVT also has their own D, N, R, and P gears. They could be using a paddle shifter for that.
>>
>>17295155
Imagine explaining to your mom that you have to flap paddles to change between going forward or backward, or how many flaps of which paddle put it in to park, or what the fuck neutral actually is?

You might as well try to write out instructions for how to set the clock on the VCR.
>>
>>17294629
I get your point, but on a bike at least you can click up or down multiple gears. Not as quick as H pattern, but close.
>>17294651
Again, at least on a motorcycle they have protections so it doesn't happen too often, if at all
>>
>>17294866
I had this same experience going to a used car dealership

"what do you have in a stick"
"why would you want that?"

Fuck you cunt, you don't get to ask the questions when i have the money and you have the cars.
Needy fucking salesmen are the worst. Even the guys who just meet you, tell you they don't have anything right now in a stick are worth at least taking their card.
>>
>>17295314
If you shift properly you won't get false neutrals, unless your transmission is fucked.

>preload shifter
>dip clutch
>????
>profit

You don't even need the clutch after shifting to second.
>>
He's not wrong, in this day and age the paddle shifter combines the speed of the automatic transmission with the user input control of the manual. Even in drag racing they use purely automatic ones simply because they're faster and there's no reason not to when you're on perfectly flat road.
>>
>>17295106
>useful for offroading where normal CVT behavior might make it difficult to maintain traction,

If you're going to offroad at any point in the future, there's literally no reason to get a CVT.
>>
>>17295350
I had a great stealership experience recently.
>walk in, say hi do you have somebody I can talk to?
>hey how's it going I saw you have XYZ car on the lot, let's go for a ride
>w-what? y-you want to go for a test drive
>yeah, faggot, but I boxed it in with my car because your lot has nowhere to park, I'll go move it out of the way

And then all of a sudden he starts jumping around, and then we had a fun time and he got to sell a car that day.
>>
Manual fags just like to feel the shaft on their palms. Real men keep their hands free to fingerbang Stacy in tbe passenger seat.
>>
>>17295371
Flappy paddles are merely suggestions for the gearbox, it still has to decide whether it can shift into the chosen gear or not. If the gearbox thinks it can't shift into a particular gear it won't, also downshifts in autos are horrendously slow.

They use autos in drag racing because they're consistent, not because they're fast. Consistency is king in drag racing and trying to consistently launch and shift a manual box is more challenging than stalling up an auto.
>>
>>17295414
I actually wind up using the crunch brake as an armrest and fiddling with the screw-on button rather than the shifter. Although sometimes I do find myself feeling up the brake lever once in a while when I get frustrated by traffic.

Better than an auto by a longshot. What the fuck is there to do? Jingle the keys or open and close the sunglasses holder?
>>
>CVT
>paddle shifters
It should be illegal to shill that shitheap. They get paid to do it.
>>
File: 1393927333508.jpg (25KB, 800x272px) Image search: [Google]
1393927333508.jpg
25KB, 800x272px
>>17293711
manuals arent dead. buy the BRZ/toysub 86. the toyota version is manual only.

the reason they are trying to shill paddles because F1 uses them. trying to tell you that you have F1 racecar. but lets not kid ourselves here flappy paddles and tiptronics are pale comprasion for a actal manual gearbox car makers are still making manuals
but they make more from sales of a auto. yes manual cars are cheaper to buy brand new than a auto. how much cheaper? 1000-3000 depending on the type of automatic.
pic related. australias most famous manual car.
>>
>>17293711
>racecarfags just use automati

Your bullshit detector should have hit 11 at that point. A lot of race cars use actuated manuals but only shit drag racers use autos.
>>
Can someone explain to me about paddleshifters
>Test drive Subaru legacy with paddle shifters
>Takes over a second to respond to shift
>Try another
>Same lag

What's the point?
>>
>>17295444
>fiddling with the handbrake

this is me
>>17296429
if I remember right top fuel dragsters don't have gears/transmission. the engine is connected directly to the axle and the power causes clutches to weld together and the engine must be rebuilt after every race. fuck any other kinds of drag racing, but I don't even follow motorsport lol
>>
>>17296436
Gimmicks, like almost every other feature in modern cars.

"bro, it's an auto but it's a manual too if you want, like"
>>
>>17296436
>you at least get to tell it when to change gears
>it feels racecar
>most people in the US can't drive manual and pretend that flappy paddles = manual or semiautomatic

those are the points. if you call it semiautomatic commit suicide
>>
>>17296467
Top fuel dragsters effectively have a CVT attached to each wheel.
>>
>>17293711

why dont you tell him to fuck off and get what you want
>>
>>17296405
>car makers are still making manuals
They're sure trying to kill that demand tho
>>
>>17293726
Who the fuck is "she"?
>>
>>17296478
I call it an assault transmission.
>>
>>17293973
You fucked up
>>
>>17297416
fuck manuel
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.