[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you work on your car yourself?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: trans am.jpg (269KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
trans am.jpg
269KB, 1024x768px
How much can you do on your own car?

I bought an old car, but all the mechanics are going to charge me out the ass for some jobs, that maybe I can do myself, and I was curious on what jobs do you guys need a mechanic for?

>pic related not my car, but one like it.
>>
I'll do most anything myself. But I'm fortunate enough to have access to a garage at my age and I have a daily as well as a fun car.
>>
>>17292749
A garage is the thing I'm missing currently, all I can do either in the street or on a unused parking lot. I'm currently looking for a house with a big enough garage to put a car lift.
>>
>>17292727
Get yourself a tiny econobox to get your ass to work while your TA is under maintenance. Doing it yourself means taking longer because of fewer tools, less available time due to work and making more mistakes or taking longer to assess the situation than someone who does it day in day out. You need something to drive in the mean time.
>>
>>17292727
I can do simple stuff like typical airbox changes, oil changes, washing the car, but anything that's more complicated than a spark plug change and I'll get my mechanic to do it because it will save me time, money, and a headache of getting all the right tools and parts and possibly fucking up my daily.

If I had an older car that wasn't my daily I would try to work on it entirely myself as a hobby. But I need my daily to run.
>>
>>17292782
I don't have an econobox, nor do I need one. I just walk to work, and my TA is purely my fun car for the week-ends. Solid advice nonetheless. It would be stupid of me to rely on my old car for work.
>>
>>17292727

Yes. If its something difficult i research it myself and get at it at the cost of time and nerves. I dont trust any mechanic around here.
>>
File: IMG_20161108_163239~01.jpg (2MB, 2651x1810px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161108_163239~01.jpg
2MB, 2651x1810px
>>17292727
I do, yes. Overhauled the brakes, repacked the front wheel bearings, replaced some lights, changed all the fluids, resealed the rear diff, and put on new tires last summer.
>>
>>17292871
Nice ride anon!

What's under the hood?
>>
>>17293104
Mildly modified 305, lol. Rich chip, richer metering rods, and no cat. Eternally saving for an LS1/T56 swap.
>>
>>17293115

take a loan like a real nigga
>>
For me, I'll do anything that's a simple parts change. Anything that requires special skills or tools, I usually avoid.
>>
>>17293115
My TA has a 350 carbed, with unknown internals with a t5 behind. Would like to do an LS1/T56 swap too, but I like the sound and smell of my 350, the t56 though is a must.
>>
>>17293198
I'm thinking about keeping my quadrajet and putting it on the LS1 with one of those MSD plug and play ignition controllers. I just love the sound it makes when the secondaries open at WOT so much, I'd miss it if I went fuel injected. That way I don't have to dick around with a $1000 premerged wiring harness and ECU.
>>
>>17293225
That's true you don't need to use fuel injection on your LS1. I have even seen people putting carbs on there LS.
>>
File: IMG_4671.jpg (90KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4671.jpg
90KB, 640x426px
>>17292727

I do just about every mechanical, electrical and body repair imaginable.

About the only shit I dont do are major machining operations, like pic related. Align Bore/hone, cylinder bore, decking, some oil passage bushing is better done by a shop.

Then there are certain things I have done at a shop just for convenience sake. I dont do tires or alignments because lack of machines. I even have commercial shops do oil changes sometimes, because I am busy with more interesting shit or cant be fucked to deal with a wet car/hot engine in a summer storm.

I prefer to pay for paint because I know a shop that does really quality work for cheap. (there is zero dust in any of the paint shop, and the body shop is a separate bldg.. pretty good detailing there too)

Given the right tools and persistance, (and sometimes a service manual) you should be able to strip your car bare ( to the last clip ) and rebuild it in about 3-6 months, including engine/wiring/interior.

Only thing that should slow you down is lack of tools, time, or machine shop procedures.
>>
>>17293265
>you don't need to use fuel injection on your LS1

I've got an old school Thermoquad on my 5.9 Dakota, still sips gas around town and opens up nicely into WOT. Sounds so much better than any FI truck I've owned
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.