[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When does repairing a car become not worth?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: meme car.jpg (135KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
meme car.jpg
135KB, 1024x768px
Hey /i/,
Currently my DD needs a decent bit of work. I drive a 04 Malibu Maxx but it's front passenger control arm has gone to shit. The local shop thinks it needs to be repaired, along with sparkplugs and the ignition wire. They want 490 for the control arm and the install. It's the v6 model so I think it's worth around 3k according to KBB. Do i need to do all of the maintenance they are recommending and is it worth doing it to a car with 125k miles on it?
>>
If you maintain the car to manufacturer specifications then the car will last literally until the frame rots. Repairing a car is a personal opinion. I've trashed a car at 20,000 miles because it was treated well but the tranny still took a shit so I returned it. But on the other hand I have a 170k bmw that I still love.
>>
What's raping you is the spark plugs. This is why V anything in a fwd setup is a nightmare. Probably pay for the repair so it's on record you maintained it for sellers. I would save up for a car that you're willing to take care of yourself.
>>
>>17290248
Buy some tools and do it yourself. You'll spend more but then you'll gain the experience and you'll already have tools for the next job.
>>
File: IMG_7455.jpg (182KB, 1600x1066px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7455.jpg
182KB, 1600x1066px
>>17290248
When it has this badge on it
>>
>>17290306
Unfortunately from what I've gathered on the v6 model one of the control arm bolts is under the engine frame mount. It requires you to lift the engine up to access it to remove the control arm. I don't have the tools required for that. I was looking at getting a 2003 is300 with a 5spd but i'm not sure if that would be reliable at all or worth financing.
>>
>When does repairing a car become not worth?
When its a chevy
>>
>>17290379
buy a jack and block of wood. it's not rocket surgery.
>>
File: 1452328130701.jpg (54KB, 453x388px) Image search: [Google]
1452328130701.jpg
54KB, 453x388px
>>17290248
uhhhhh
when the price of repair costs exceed the price of the vehicle itself???

worth, however, is subjective. you can truly love a $500 pile of shit enough to deck it out and throw all types of dollars, euros, yen, rubees, dongs, etc. and you could never feel like you put too much money into it. on the other hand, dropping $500 on a nice car is shit if you dont like the car
>>
>>17290397
The oil pan for the engine is directly under where I need to pry the engine
>>
>>17290248
It's an 00's American car, just get rid of it now before anything else happens.
>>
>>17290379
$500 worth of problems is nothing, any old used car will need at least that much, including your 2003 is300.

A new clutch is $1000, tires $600, all new brakes $700. These are just routine maintenance items, and any used car will need them eventually.
I would set a realistic maintenance budget for your car (maybe $800 a year) and if in the future several problems pop up at once that would far exceed that budget, then I would consider getting rid of the car.

But selling a car to avoid $500 in maintenance doesn't make sense. Your Lexus will cost you more than that just in plates, tax and registration.
>>
>>17291793
Well they are also saying I need to replace the ingition wire and spark plugs. Compined for something like 350. I'm also curious if control arms go out at the same time
>>
>>17291793
An is300 manual will hold its value very strong compared to his current car.

>>17291806
According to a manufacture, a "lifelong" part is actually 100k miles, after that, almost everything is suspectable to needing repair or replacement. The control arm is completely unrelated to the spark plugs and ignition wire. The spark plugs are a maintenance part. Something that should be done 40-80k miles depending on what they're made of. If you really do have a manual is300 in your area, I would buy it.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.