[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Seafoam?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_9293.jpg (73KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9293.jpg
73KB, 800x600px
My car idles a bit rough, and bucks a bit on startup. There also seems to be a bit of hesitation when I push it hard, like when merging onto the highway. My mechanic has said that the timing and balance is fine, but he suspects that the injectors are a bit gummed up, and possibly the valves and other bits as well. He recommended running using Seafoam (or something similar) in the oil and gas, to help de-gunk the internals.
The car is a 2008 PT Cruiser, non-turbo. It's a 2.4L I4 engine, 108k miles.
Since the car isn't worth much and I plan on replacing it soon, my mechanic said it just wouldn't be worth the trouble of rebuilding the engine.

What are /o/'s experiences with Seafoam? Does it actually work or is it snake oil? If it does work, what do I need do do to help it? Italian tune-up?
I trust my mechanic and respect his opinion, but simply adding some liquid to my gas and oil doesn't seem like it would do much.
>>
>>17287867
for ten bucks a pop, you could probably give it a go
>>
>>17287867
yeah it works, but it's not a miracle cure all thing

don't expect much but it'll help until you replace the car
>>
>>17287867
It's not snake oil, people have been using it for quite some time.
Even if you're planning on getting a new car, consider cleaning the old one. Even for that little increase in re-sell value.
>>
>>17287867
Seaform and if it still runs bad keep trying other injector cleaners. Its not snake oil and does work. After you put it in take it on as spirited drive as possible.
>lol
I've heard good things about BG 44k so I will be trying that next.

Try cleaning your throttle body and if you haven't changed the spark plugs it might be a good idea after you run the cleaner.
>>
>>17287902
In good shape it's only worth about $800. I'm just going to keep it as a winter beater; it's good in the snow. I plan on buying a newer car and since I live in the rust belt, I'd like to keep it off the road in the winter.
>>
>>17287867
It's not needed on a well maintained engine. Fix the actual problem. If it's running rough, is just excessive vibration? Could be motor mounts or a misfire.
>>
>>17288030
My engine was not well maintained. Previous owner was a 16 year old girl, who never changed the oil... In 9800 miles. I had the engine cleaned at that point, that's when I got it. Now, 56k miles later, it's tired. I have meticulously maintained it, and had the motor mounts replaced last year, so it isn't those. Mechanic checked for a misfire and found nothing.

>>17287972
I cleaned the throttle body last year, and did my plugs then too. Should I replace them anyway?
>>
>>17288222
I've heard that if you want to clean sludge out of an engine you can run 4 parts oil 1 part ATF. Run that for 10 minutes and drain. But then you could run into the problem of having so much sludge it will clog the oil pan and nothing will drain out. You could look into that.

If not just get a professional injector cleaning
>>
>>17288222
>did my plugs then too
The condition of the plugs give you an idea of problems. For example, if they're burnt and oily, then you know that's where the oil consumption is coming from. One of the many causes of hesitancy is a spark plug is worn. But you changed your plugs last year, so they shouldn't be worn.

Seafoam is an ancient product that exists more by its braggadocio printing on its metal can than anything else. Two doses of Techron (an overdose) or Lucas Fuel System Cleaner will work on cleaning injectors. Since you have a throttle body, it should clean carbon on the intake valve.

If you haven't, you should switch to top tier gasoline. If you shop at costco, use their top tier gas as it has 5X the amount of cleaning detergent in it where other top tier gas may be just 3X the minimum required by the EPA.
>>
Do you have the kit to pull the injectors and look at the cylinders through a bore scope?

If so you'll be able to see whats going on. Its uncommon for an engine to become caked in carbon badly enough to cause hesitation when acceleration.Sounds more like the issue is with the turbo or vacuum lines.
>>
>>17291205
>non-turbo
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.