[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rebuild question/advice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: outlaw_10_5_bullet_race.jpg (58KB, 700x595px) Image search: [Google]
outlaw_10_5_bullet_race.jpg
58KB, 700x595px
Hey gents. Just rebuilt my engine and tranny. 455 BBO and TH400, if curious. Anywho, can't seem to crank the motor over by hand, even in neutral, and didn't have this issue when both were separated, I could turn both by hand. The issue started after I mated the pack with a new torque converter. Could this just be because the splines aren't completely mated, even after torquing? Thinking back, there is still paint on the pilot nub as well, but would that really cause the engine not to be able to turn over, even WITH a cheater pipe?
>>
>>17278129
Converter isn't completely seated in the trans OR the pilot hub is oversize and won't go into the crank. Either way you're going to have to pull the trans down.
>>
>>17278273
Yeah I'm gonna take it back apart to look at it again, I hope it's not the pump and just improper seating. I doubt it's the pump since it wasn't giving me issues before. I don't think it'd be oversized, it popped into the back of the crank fairly easy. If it is oversized, it might be the paint still on it, causing excessive friction. Just a hunch though
>>
>>17278273
I did notice that the bellhousing didn't want to perfectly mate up to the block though, I could see light through the surfaces, and torqued them a second time
>>
You had the torque converter on the engine then bolted them together.
You shattered the trans pump.
Pull apart.
Replaced pump gears.
Put torque converter on transmission
Align drain plug with flex plate.
Tighten bolts.
>>
>>17278305
I hope you're wrong about the pump being busted, and it's just a simple realignment. With my luck though, I might have to.
>>
>>17278347
Converter will seat on the trans with three distinct engagements. First will be the converter hub seating into the pump. Next will be the stator splines engaging the stator shaft splines. Finally the input shaft splines will engage . This last one is the pain in the ass to get. It's usually only about a half inch so the converter looks completely seated but it isn't, and the input shaft turns while you're rotating the converter so you end up having to keep turning and turning until just before you're about to say fuck this it clicks in that last bit.
>>
>>17278402
Oh, and you never have to pull a trans onto the engine with the bellhousing bolts. If the trans doesn't just slide right on and seat against the engine easily something is wrong and you need to find out what before proceeding.

Also, with the trans seated against the engine you should be able to rotate the converter easily by hand. If not then something is wrong and you need to find out what.
>>
>>17278402
This was pretty descriptive. I forgot about that last engagement bit, it's been a few years. I'll keep that in mind
>>
>>17278430
As previously described, that's my problem, everything is stiff as a rock a d doesn't move. I didn't want to crank the engine backwards. Glad I asked around before I stupidly tried to get back to TDC #1 with the starter...
>>
>>17278919
Its the torque converter/trans pump gear.
Torque converter will be fine.
Pump gear/seal is cheap.
Be sure you get all the shards out. Since you haven't run it yet I doubt they migrated anywhere and should just be sitting there in the pump housing.
After you fix that and get the 3 seating steps of torque converter on the trans, be sure to line up the drain plug on torque converter with the hole in the flexplate when you bolt it back onto the engine.
>>
>>17278305
>>17278402
>>17280573
Yup this anon is correct I almost did that when mating the trans bell housing to the engine on a Q7 I thought the converter was fully seated on the pump shaft and was fucking wondering why my housing was not sitting flush with the engine was about 5mm off one of my retarded coworkers was like just put the bolts in line them up and push it in with the bolts. I did not follow his advise, I split it back up and sure enough the torque converter was not on properly. If you have to force something with the bolts it ain't right 90% of the time.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.