[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Kei car advice

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: jimny.jpg (115KB, 800x500px) Image search: [Google]
jimny.jpg
115KB, 800x500px
I'll be moving for japan for work in a few months. I'll be living there for a year and might need a car while there. I was thinking kei car because they're dirt cheap, good mpg, and small. I'm not interested in performance in any way as this would obviously be an A to B vehicle.

At the same time I think most of them are ugly as fuck and I wouldnt want to drive them. I thought the Suzuki Jimny was something i'd be willing to drive. Anyone have any experience/knowledge of this or any comparable kei car?
>>
File: image.jpg (47KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47KB, 480x360px
Shameful bump
>>
Jimny/samurai are legendary off-road.

That being said you'll need to look into Japanese inspection laws, I heard they were rough
>>
My 3 favourite kei cars are
>Honda Beat
>Suzuki Cappuccino
>Daihatsu Copen
But if I were you, I'd try looking for something quite new-ish, because people in Japan like to keep new cars for not very long lengths of time, so the used market for something 3-4 years old has quite a lot of options
I hope this has helped
>>
>>17258468
You think it would be alright as an A to B car? I was seeing some on the Japanese Craigslist equivalent for like 1000 usd with like 20~30k mileage
>>
>>17256339

>dirt cheap

Not in Japan they're not, new kei cars fetch premium prices because they're cheap to register and insure, and old ones are cheap to buy but prohibitively expensive to register and insure because they're old.

Where will you be living? What will you be using the car for? Will you even have space to own a car?

As for what to buy, don't buy, lease, get whatever, they're disposable transport.
>>
>>17258498
Living in hyogo but not exactly sure where. I would be using the car for work and other travel. There is also the possibility of not having much space for the car. I'm only gonna be there for a year, and will have a low budget to spend on a car. If prices are high I might have to find another solution
>>
>>17258482
Those seem pretty cool too. I like the Honda the best. Again a lot of the decision making is dependent on if I can even afford or need a car there
>>
>>17258524

Well you won't be able to even buy a car without a proof of parking space certificate, so you'll need to sort that out asap.

And just to give you an idea as to costs, car purchase price + 5% sale price tax + weight tax 65,000~ yen, transfer of name (20,000~ yen), Roadworthy 150,000~ yen, if the car is older than 10 years add another 60,000 yen, mandatory insurance 30,000 yen, then there's actual insurance that's twice than at around 60,000 yen, automobile tax 50,000 yen....then there's the cost of actually registering the car, parking space certificate, personal seal certificate, personal seal itself and your nip ID/license etc

Car ownership is not cheap in Japan.
>>
>>17258637
What about motorcycle ownership?
>>
>>17258637
Shit bro thanks for the info. I guess the decision will be easier when I find out exactly where I'll be.
>>17258661
I don't have a bike license, but I'd like to know too
>>
>>17256339
Are you Military/SOFA status?

>yes
But something you want like a big van (Toyota Alphard, Nissan El Grand) or VIP car (Laurel, Celsior, Cima, etc),you get a Y plate and your Shaken & Road Tax at a 50% rate

>no
Stick with a Kei Car
>>
>>17259177
No I'm a JET, which is why I don't know my exact living location
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.