[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MX-5 / Miata engine swap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_1149.jpg (115KB, 799x531px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1149.jpg
115KB, 799x531px
Im looking for some idears for a engine swap for my MX-5 NA (like we call it in Germany).
I don't want some trash like big v8 or v6 swaps which would put too much weight on the front. I thought about high reving 2.0/1.8l N/A engines like the Honda V-tec ones in a range of 170-200hp.
I think a engine like this would match the driving style of the car.
Any idears or experience?
>>
Mazda KL, either DE (170hp) or ZE (200hp). Compact, revvy, 2.5l aluminium, V6, and it sounds fucking godlike.
>>
>>17253412
If you can somehow find one, Honda made a 2.4l n/a in their 2009-2015 civic sis
>>
File: IMG_1150.jpg (78KB, 600x341px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1150.jpg
78KB, 600x341px
>>17253423
I read that some people managed to put the 185hp engine from the Mazda 323 turbo in the Miata. (No idear if they soled this Mazda in the US but they did here in Germany)
>pic related
>>
>>17253445
I think that's a BP-T, which is a turbo version of the 1.8 that was already available in the MX-5. Should be a much easier swap than the KL and you could even build up the stock 1.8 to BP-T spec.
>>
>>17253412
Do a k20 swap
>>
The Miata engine bay is actually designed to fit a Mustang V8 purposely for engine swaps
>>
>>17253456
Yes the bigger problem is to get on of these because they are super rare. The Mazda K-engines need more work because the Miata needs a longitudinal engine (is this the right word?) and not a transverse engine.
>>
>>17253480
Im not American my friend, I don't care about straight line performance. I want to corner around the landside on the mountain roads here. I will not put 70% of the weight on the front axle.
>>
>>17253503
The 1.6 and 1.8 engines that were available in the MX-5 had turbo versions, so you could just build your stock engine up and turbo it.
Fitting the KL is supposedly a matter of a bellhousing adapter plate and newly fabricated motor mounts. This place has got some nice info: http://crapengineering.weebly.com/
>>
>>17253525
Thanks for the link.
>>
>>17253423
>Mazda KL
my god these are cheap

$900-$1000 on ebay wtf
>>
>>17253423
how would someone go about doing this? is there motor mounts for it or would I have to bodge up my own?
>>
>>17253580
Would probably have to fab up your own.

>>17253566
Yeah, it's nuts. Seriously underrated little engine.
>>
>>17253412
>I don't want some trash like big v8 or v6 swaps which would put too much weight on the front.
lurk moar. Weight isn't only added to the front. The transmission and differential are also heavier, and you SHOULD add some chassis bracing to deal with the extra torque. Not to mention if you're doing a V8 swap you'd want wider tires and it'd be best to have a roll bar (my bar weighs ~50 lbs IIRC). Look at videos of Miatas autocrossing or tracking - they aren't exactly as nimble but it's not like they suffer understeer either - and even if they did, they could just add more throttle.
>>
File: raptorjesus.jpg (73KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
raptorjesus.jpg
73KB, 1600x1200px
>>17253516
A full 1.8l miata motor and 5 spd transmission weighs in at 433 lbs. Engine is 348, tranny 85.

A triple the power LS1 engine and 6 speed t56 weigh 582 lbs. 457 for a fully operational 5.7l V8 and 125 for the t56 transmission.

150 fucking pounds dude...and 40 of those lbs are the transmission in the middle of the car. 110 extra lbs over the front axle is not going to completely destroy the balance of the car. It'd be extremely easy to offset it with ballast in the trunk anyways but odds are you'd never even know that the F:R balance was any different.

Instead of spouting dank memes, try knowing wtf you're talking about. These engines don't really weigh much more than any others. Given that you're in Europe, a V8 swap probably isn't your best option but it's definitely not because it would make your car weigh roughly 1 Fat Chick more than before.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.