[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tire Problem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 1491231163841.png (154KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
1491231163841.png
154KB, 500x452px
I tired to put air in my tires like I normally do every two weeks but my rear driver side tire would not take any air. Thought it may just be the pump so I went to two other stations with no luck. Then I thought it was the valve so I took it to a shop. Shop guy checks for a valve leak but said there was none. Watched him but in air with his pump no problem. Go back to a gas station and get the same problem.

Why would this happen since I'm just doing what I always do?
>>
File: IMG_20170522_164939-2.jpg (1MB, 1803x2403px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170522_164939-2.jpg
1MB, 1803x2403px
>>17248191

Could be shitty nozzle on the pump. Did it work on your other tires?

Also, another tire related question, I had pic related balanced at an actual shop, but they shake going down the road. Car feels like it's jumping up and down around 30 MPH, vibration gets less but is still there at higher speeds. Anyone have any guesses why?
>>
>>17248955
Either go to another shop and have them rebalanced, or start checking your suspension for wear.

>>17248191
Have a shop put new valve stems in if it worries you that much, it won't cost that much.
>>
>>17248984

So having two sets of weights on opposite sides of the rims is fine? I figured that was what fucked it up, I've only ever seen weights in one spot to balance a wheel before....

The car itself has about 12,000 miles on it, and rides fine on the factory rims and tires.
>>
>>17249052
Some of the weights are to offset lateral motion, that's why you see them on the inside and outside of barrel.

That being said not all balancing machines are completely accurate and if you feel that they're imbalanced then go to another shop.
>>
>>17249070

I know having them inside and outside is normal.

It's the having two sets on the inside and two sets on the outside that worries me, especially when they're clocked 90-120 degrees apart. 180 degrees I could understand, since you might be one weight heavy or light on one side and need one on the other side to fix it. But having .75 oz. sitting not quite directly across from 1.5 oz. just seems fucked up to me.

It's probably the worst tire balance I've ever experienced, which is why it's going to another shop next week.
>>
>>17249052
The fact that they put that many weights on shows they don't know what the fuck they're doing

Probably water in the tire and it's throwing off the balance each time and they said fuck it.

Go somewhere else.
>>
>>17248955

did you actually get your shit balanced with your wheels all covered in dirt and filth? that might be your first problem. both wheels on the left side required sort of a lot of weight. try putting those in the rear.

something you can try at home is rotate them around and see if the vibration gets better or worse.
>>
File: IMG_20170519_164312.jpg (216KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170519_164312.jpg
216KB, 675x900px
>>17249170

Brand new tires, stored inside. Brand new rims, stored inside. Nothing in them when I brought them in. Nice lightweight rims too, with decently sporty tires.

I'm guessing either the tech was an idiot, or the machine is way out of calibration. Hopefully the next shop will get it right.
>>
>>17249191

They were brand new when they were mounted and balanced, and were even all nice and tire shined and pretty when I left for work this morning. The filth is from literally driving to work and back today.
>>
File: tire wear.jpg (49KB, 429x307px) Image search: [Google]
tire wear.jpg
49KB, 429x307px
>>17248955
Is there any irregular wear on the tires? That can cause it too, especially cupping.
>>
>>17248984

valve stems on a modern car kind of cost a hundred dollars each
>>
>>17249898
Yes if you're a moron and haven't bypassed/ignored the TPMS Sensors.

Those fuckers aren't even accurate half the fucking time anyways.

The old style ones are less than $5 a pop and literally take less than 30mins to put on with a tire mounting machine.
>>
>>17249898
The sensor itself is usually around $60, and Walmart has a service pack for just about all of them that has a new o-ring, rubber or metal stems, etc that you replace independently of the sensor portion that are ~$4 each.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.