[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How does /o/ feel about the CVT?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: Honda-City-CVT-transmission1.jpg (104KB, 590x450px) Image search: [Google]
Honda-City-CVT-transmission1.jpg
104KB, 590x450px
How does /o/ feel about the CVT?
>>
File: 50shades.jpg (56KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
50shades.jpg
56KB, 720x720px
It's trash.
>>
>>17234529
What's to feel?
>>
everything will be it in the future. but right now they're shit in any thing that is supposed to be fun.
>>
alleged reliability and better mpgs, sound and drive/feel like absolute dogshit tho
>>
>>17234529
I would not own a car with a CVT automatic, even for an A to B commuter.
>>
>>17234529
Garbage fire
>>
A FUCKING BELT
>>
File: dumpsterfire-600x356.png (330KB, 600x356px) Image search: [Google]
dumpsterfire-600x356.png
330KB, 600x356px
>>17234529
This.
>>
for a pigfat crossover they make sense.
>>
>>17234529

Cool idea on paper, really neat on things where it's easy to fix/maintain them such as a 50cc scooter, very interesting to watch in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTKUy-8Ne68

Don't trust it in cars though.
>>
>>17234529
They are potentially one of the fastest transmissions, but all of the ones you see now are made for fuel economy. Get a CVT made for speed and you have a really fun/fast car.
>>
>>17234890
Yeah for a month until the clutch packs burn out completely.
It's already easy enough to keep your car in a 500rpm range.
>>
>>17234779
this
>>
>>17234890
snow mobiles are gay
your gay
>>
I drove a Subaru levorg with a cvt and I liked it even though in a car like that I'd have preferred a manual.

The e-CVT of the hybrid Lexus is the best kind of simil cvt gearbox (even if it has nothing to do with it), because it's fast but still not suitable for "sporty" drive if you want to feel something.

The only true downside is that it flattens the torque perception, once you floor the gas and you fell the pull then there's nothing. You see the increasing speed but you don't feel it.

However, I would daily drive a car with a cvt but only if a had a second car for the spare time, with a manuel
>>
File: stop.jpg (103KB, 1024x805px) Image search: [Google]
stop.jpg
103KB, 1024x805px
>>17234529
>needing torque multiplication because your engine makes no power
>>
>>17234890

>he believes the fast transmission meme

CVT only is slightly more efficient in that it eliminates the shifting curve
but the reasons manufactures are using it has more to do with being a cheap ass, than any fuel economy.
a CVT costs about 40-60% less to produce, which is a huge cut of a major component used in vehicles
>>
Functionally they're a really good idea with a lot of potential but the development in passenger vehicles is held back by normies who hate how the RPM stays relatively constant, they say it makes it feel like they're not accelerating and the car companies have been actively retarding CVT development to make it feel more vroom vroomy. Shame, because the whole point of the CVT is to let the engine stay at its most optimal power band. As it stands they're not particularly reliable or good outside of scooters and the like, but they're incredibly useful in these applications.
>>
>>17234934
>let the engine stay at its most optimal power band
kek

the most optimal point in the powerband is right before redline.

these are for economy and nothing more. both in price and consumption.
>>
>>17234926
>Needing a car so fast because it runs out of gas so quickly you wouldn't make it otherwise
>>
>>17234947
>Most optimal point is right before the redline.
>>
>>17234947
Of course it is, that's what happens when you floor with a cvt: rpm stuck before redline and here (you) go.

For the rest of the time they're supposed to be fuel efficient like your average 8 speed automatic which goes in 8th gear when cruising at 35 mph, also both "kick down" when you press the accelerator but the difference is that one have to change gears and the other doesn't.
>>
>>17234966
I'm not gonna argue with someone who doesn't even know what a powerband is. Just know that you're wrong.
>>
File: 1239355806793.jpg (1MB, 5000x3690px) Image search: [Google]
1239355806793.jpg
1MB, 5000x3690px
>>17234975
>>
>>17234529
It's a rear options for centrifugal superchargers: it gives them the boost profile of a positive displacement supercharger (better actually, doesn't taper off at the end), yet they can be easily intercooled, and have great efficiency. You could even implement an MGU-H on there, with a Prius-style e-CVT.

As a transmission between engine and wheels though, they're shit right now.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.