[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just how bad of an idea would it be to get an E36?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: 5efecbe31495b84bb277983d88036cc5.jpg (194KB, 1920x1281px) Image search: [Google]
5efecbe31495b84bb277983d88036cc5.jpg
194KB, 1920x1281px
I'm currently looking at a 93 BMW 325i E36 for sale and It only has 57K miles on it. Assuming everything checks out and is working properly just how big of a money pit am I looking at here?

I can afford some minor repairs and maintenance but I'm really not looking forward to any major issues with the straight 6 or drive train components but I'm just not familiar enough with these cars. Also I don't need a new (well new to me) car right now so this wouldn't be any kind of impulse buy.
>>
>>17229165
>just how big of a money pit am I looking at here?

How much work can you do yourself?

Parts probably aren't amazingly expensive in and of themselves but if you can't do the work yourself a decent mechanic will charge you an arm and a leg.

Also buying a 25 year old car with 57k on it means you'd immediately be up for changing a lot of worn parts. If they run timing belts instead of chains you'd have to do that too, I'm sure someone else knows which one is applicable to these.
>>
>>17229195
Really depends on the amount of skill required. I can change parts and follow instructions but I'm by no means a mechanic and there's a lot I'm simply not comfortable doing. I do have a few friends who are professionals that might be able to help me out for a decent price if I needed them but that's no guarantee.
>>
>>17229165
Life's too short
Get it
>>
File: DSC_0788.jpg (122KB, 918x612px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0788.jpg
122KB, 918x612px
Mileage is pretty secondary at this age, get one that's been well kept.
Parts are cheap and working on the car is dumb easy
>>
>>17229165
>>17229195
>M50B25
>Timing Belt
M50B25 and M50B25TU both use chains. They're incredible durable engines.

E36 parts aren't really much more expensive than anything else now. A lot of jobs aren't hard to do either. It's random stuff that's hard to do for no reason. At 57k miles the only thing that'd immediately need to be done would be coolant piping. The stock system rusts. VANOS seal as well if it's a TU but that's a given and very easy to do.

Make sure you get the 5-speed though. The automatic in E36 is trash.
>>
>>17229165
I'm wondering if the e36 m3 will ever start appreciating in value. It seems to just keep slumping. Realistically it was the last m3 without shoving THIS IS AN M CAR down everyone's throats
>>
File: 20170518_062254.jpg (4MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
20170518_062254.jpg
4MB, 2000x2000px
>>17229243
This. Just make sure to do the work yourself and its relatively cheap.

>>17230328
Yes, but not any time soon. They also are the last M3 too not be overloaded with computers. Er6 M3 definitely has the right amount but sometimes less (E36) is more.
>>
>>17231348
E46 not Er6
>>
>>17229165
They're pretty reliable mechanicaly but check if the cooling system was upgraded that's the weak point. I had the camshaft sensor go bad on me and other electrical problems but i think the previous owner fucked around with the wiring
>>
>>17230109
Just how bad is the auto exactly? The specific car I was looking at is a European import that's currently in the US and it's got an automatic shifter.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.