[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I follow the sticky's recommendation on starter bikes,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: KLX 110.jpg (502KB, 1600x1215px) Image search: [Google]
KLX 110.jpg
502KB, 1600x1215px
Should I follow the sticky's recommendation on starter bikes, even if I have ZERO experience riding one? I was thinking perhaps a dirt or pit bike for experience/getting comfortable, then maybe a Ninja 300 a little later? Pic related is being sold used near me which I've been considering
>>
starting on a dirt bike (in the dirt) is probably the best thing you could possibly do as a brand new rider.
anyone who says otherwise is a retarded know nothing commuter.
like every ama superbike national champion ever started in motocross or flat track.
the bike control you learn on dirt is invaluable and its safe(er)
>>
dont get a pit bike though get a fullsize frame.

i mean you can start on a little road bike if you want but if youre serious about acquiring bike skills and being safe, having a dirt bike for 6 months or a year or whatever will be the best possible path.
>>
>>17219157
That's what I was thinking. That, and riding around in the dirt looks major fun. I was unaware most professional bikers started off in motocross. Appreciate the input
>>
>>17219168
the only problem is youre "wasting" some money.
but i personally think it's more than worth it.
it's not the same as riding a road bike obviously and you'll still have to learn road bike skills, but all the core fundamentals, clutch, braking, balance, turning, etc etc you will be able to learn on a dirt bike pretty quickly

the first time you grab some brake in a turn on a dirt bike you eat shit, but walk away
on the street you might not be so lucky to walk away from a simple mistake like that.
>>
>>17219202
Eh, I wouldn't be wasting money if I actively play around with it, even after buying a street bike. Agreed on the core fundamentals part though, it makes a lot of sense.
>>
>>17219157
This, this, this.
>>
Yeah you can also rent dirtbikes and gear at most MX tracks.

If you buy one you'll need a trailer.

You could startoff on a 250cc dual sport too.
>>
dirt bikes tend to hold their value. If you end up buying a road bike and never ride in the dirt anymore, sell the bike for 85% of what you paid for it. Buy something that's fairly forgiving (250cc or, less 4 stroke) and just play around in the dirt. MX tracks aren't the best if you're using the dirt bike as a precursor to road riding, but having to rise off your seat is something you MAY have to do on the road.

At first it took me a shit ton of mental effort to co-ordinate front & rear braking, throttle and downshifting all at once. Next time got a little easier, and so-on and so-on. I picked it up faster than heel-toe in vehicles, but it was done YEARS after I figured it out in a car.

I'd been riding bicycles since I was like 4, I got my first dirt bike early 20's. I started out on dirt and I looked like a giraffe that was just born. HOLY SHIT MAN. They're heavy as tits comparatively and no pedals really screwed me up initially.
>>
>>17219147
Small regular bike to start out with.

Here in the UK, you're limited to a 125cc bike until you get a full license, or for some arcane amount of time if you're underage. They're a bit underpowered, though, but still fun.
>>
>>17219157
This you can't get pulled out in front of off road
>>
>>17219202

I wouldn't consider something a waste if you enjoyed it and learned from it.

Especially if dirt turns out to be really fun to you, you just gained a new hobby and can just keep the bike for the future. I wouldn't buy a pit bike though OP. Buy an older full size bike, they can be had for under 1-2K in semi-decent shape. Find someone who knows a bit about bikes to take with you.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.