[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions that don't deserve their own thread / QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 331
Thread images: 61

File: 1459287910470.png (301KB, 600x567px)
1459287910470.png
301KB, 600x567px
Previous >>17171248

Can you adjust the seats on 2-seater cars like the miata and mr2?
>>
>>17205225
>>
Planning on buying a BRZ as my first manual and rwd car for DD.
Obviously I would practice manual on a shitter car or at a dealership test drive before driving this.

Is the purchase an okay idea?
>>
>>17205384
Yes. However, the extent that you can adjust the seats may be limited compared to larger vehicles with more interior room.
>>
>>17205579
I guess, but I would personally buy a used 2013 or maybe 2015 model for much cheaper.
>>
>>17205631
Wouldn't I want to be sure the clutch is good so when I fuck up a few times it won't be that bad, I thought everyone hates getting used cars here because of previous owners fucking shit up.
>>
Do you need a mechanic to check a used car before buying? Is there a list online of everything they generally check? I know to look for crooked panels, frame damage, etc. but don't think that's enough.
>>
Want to buy a $1000 piece of shit from CL, fix it up and maybe put some bolt-on's, and then perhaps take it to the local dirt oval and race the 4 banger competitions. Is this a good idea?
>>
>>17205761
Try to check everything yourself first, unless you don't have the proper tools. If you don't have time or if you want to leave it up to a mechanic, then by all means take it there.
>>
Does anybody make steering wheels that accommodate 9 and 3 properly?

It seems like everything is 10 and 2 nonsense, and I'm not a fan.
>>
>>17205384
I can smoke the fuck out of any off you fags ITT in my 2000 EK hatch with a couple of simple mods.
>>
>>17205876
You at least get props for effort, reaction time could be better though. Need to get to at least top 3, open more windows.
>>
How do you tell if a question deserved a thread?
>>
File: 1488582589216.png (227KB, 553x351px) Image search: [Google]
1488582589216.png
227KB, 553x351px
I need a comfy(ish) boring, reliable FWD shitbox for commute/travel and I'm considering a few options. In the range of $3,000-$8,000, Would y/o/u rather:

2002+ Nissan Maxima
>manual option
>potential to be cheapest and most powerful on the list

2007+ Saturn Aura XR
>lowest price relative to mileage/age
>more or less a Saturn Malibu

2007+ Toyota Camry/Avalon V6
>most refined interior
>subject to insane price/mileage ratio

2006+ Honda Accord V6
>manual option
>"it's basically an NSX" rice tax
>>
>>17205939
Get an Integra GSR, those things are fucking bulletproof

t. owned one as a first car, crashed it so many times trying to get hektik, still ran like a champ for a long time
>>
Jack failed while doing my summer oil change and it bottomed out kinda hard. Now the car makes a loud pop when making a sharp turn. What could I have broken anons?
>>
>>17205992
Check your wheel bearings/CV shaft/ball joints/shocks
>>
>>17205901
This is the most important question in the thread. It might even be worth it's own thread but I can't tell because no one is answering
>>
>>17205949
Isn't the Integra one of the most stolen cars ever?
>>
>>17205939
Accord probably, but the civic hatch tightly grips the "fun FWD under 5k but I need to put shit in it too" trophy with it's tight underpaid hands and it's not letting go any time soon.
>>
>>17206024
Thanks anon rip my wallet. I hope it's just a tie rod/ball joint
>>
File: 6_9-7_3_IDI.gif (57KB, 338x324px) Image search: [Google]
6_9-7_3_IDI.gif
57KB, 338x324px
i had an idea of turbocharging a naturally aspirated diesel 1987 f250 with a 6.9idi

now from what i have read and gathered is this engine was never designed for boost, and giving it more than 18 pounds while staying bone stock ends in tears.

The engine bay despite being large as fuck, is cramped with this fuck huge engine and a mess of auxiliary stuff. So i had an idea of doing a remote turbo setup. But i have no idea what size of turbo i would need that could supply this engine with a constant 6-7 pounds of boost, nor what would work for a remote turbo setup.

I had dreamed of making this some wierd twin turbo monster, or possibly a franken ricer twin-twin charge turbo thing. but i have no idea how twin turbos work with waste gates and stuff, or how that would work with a diesel, or how to even size a turbo for a diesel.

I have turbo charged a gas engine, but never even worked with a diesel, so i dont know where to even start. I was hoping to do all this to the truck on a tight budget, and do all the welding/fabrication myself as a present to my father, since its his truck, but just thinking about it i have no idea what a turbo does for a diesel in comparison to the turbo on my car.
pic related, its the type of engine.
help?
>>
File: Audi A4 B5.jpg (154KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Audi A4 B5.jpg
154KB, 640x480px
I got a serious oil problem with my Audi A4 1998 1.6 LPG that i purchased recently.
The oil level was in the middle between the MAX and MIN marks a week ago, now it's right at the MIN mark.
There is no oil in the engine bay, no leaking underneath and i don't believe there is any blue smoke, even when you start the motor.
I got an oil change done using 5W-30, could that be the cause? Thanks.
>>
who would win 11 door slamming ghosts or one screw driver
>>
Alright I've had it with my wrx. I've been trying to find this vacuum leak for weeks but can't pinpoint the location. The car doesn't even show any signs other than a slight dip in rpms coming to a stop if I just coast to neutral opposed to downshifting...

Intake fluid and soapy water hasn't helped... any ideas? Could an exhaust leak potentially cause this issue? (I should check if I have an exhaust leak).
>>
How hard is it for a person with little experience working on cars to replace break pads, rotors and break lines? I kind of wanna do it myself

I drive an integra gsr
>>
>>17206224
easy as fuck
>>
>>17205384
Dunno about prev. gens, but ND Miata has back angle, seat angle, forward/back. When you slide forward it rises a bit.
>>
Worth it to go for a manual even though all ive driven is an auto?
>>
>>17206287
learn on a pile of trash car. like the shittiest, cheapest manual car you can find. once you're proficient, buy a manual car you like.
>>
>>17206224
Nearly impossible to fuck up. Just don't pinch the brake line and bungee it to the shock or whatever. Also get a tool to push the piston back in the caliper. You should also try to bleed them after or get them bled if your not comfortable with doing that.
>>
>>17206296
Ill do that but i more mean is it worth it over an auto still not to start an auto vs manual argument.
>>
>burn cd
>car can only read the first 8 tracks out of 16
whats up with this shit? have tried multiple methods of burning and it always shits itself at the start of track 9
>>
>>17206287
Hell yeah, its really not as hard as many people make it out to be. I only started daily driving manual a few months ago, but now when I drive any automatic car I just feel unsafe and like I'm not in control.

Also, its fun and interesting.
>>
>change valve cover gaskets on my impreza
>didn't use any silicon because some of the videos I watched didn't mention it nor did any manuals
Am I dumb for not doing so? I mean it stopped leaking oil.
>>
>>17206410
Does it read right in your computer?
>>
>>17206287
Kind of depends. Over all the reasons that could be said, if you really really want to learn then yes it is.
>>
File: accessorized-ets.jpg (25KB, 300x344px)
accessorized-ets.jpg
25KB, 300x344px
where can I buy something like pic related, but that accep several types of engines?
>>
>>17206064
Yeah, but that can easily be remedied with a quick release steering wheel. Just take it off whenever you park it and hide it somewhere in the car. Although, people have come up with electronic wizardry and made hidden buttons and shit.
>>
>>17207004
DIY

Basically you need any welder, angle grinder (125/150mm), power drill
>>
maybe 50% of the time, i think my cd writer is fucked because some discs come out with 0 data written and others come out really faint
>>
>>17207171
>>17206839
>>
>>17207138
I think I might buy an already made one and just make like the top most part of it for each engine
>>
Why isn't there a nissian general? Need to post about my s15 (:
>>
>>17205761
His list in the description is actually pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC8LbvYk6es

Plus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1eBlGcsSR8
>>
When I'm idling in neutral and when I'm driving I hear a fluttering sound. It gets louder and faster as the RPMs rise. The sound goes away completely when I depress the clutch pedal. What could it be?
>>
The lock on the driver door of my 08 VW GTI just spins. Completely loose. Do I
>fix it? If so, how?
>Find a working matching lock mechanism at a salvage yard? And if so, wouldnt that mean I need a new key too?
>just take it to a dealership and have them fix it at the cost of letting them fuck me

Second dumb question: where's the best place to find a repair manual for my car? Anyone know of any torrents or anything? Or even a cheap place to buy them? They're pretty expensive. $100 on Amazon.
>>
>>17207255
Start one. It may catch on.
>>
>>17207341
I did. :]
>>
>>17207438
good luck my dude
>>
So I been driving a month and a half after a new oil change and my oil doesn't seen to go down. Also I drove 6 hour before I change the oil and it's doesn't drop. My guess is there something wrong in the engine. What are other possible things that wrong with it?
>>
>>17206101
>Happy birthday dad, I destroyed your truck.
Maybe you shouldn't?

Twin turbo, twin twin charge turbo is probably too complicated. It also doesn't make sense. You want to run 6 psi, you don't need two turbos for that.

I would look for a turbo for like a 4 liter engine if all you need is 6 psi. I'm just guessing here.
You could cut a hole in the hood and stick the turbo out the top, or remote mount it under the truck.
>>
Took a turn too fast in my shitbox and slid around the corner. Is the fun police going to take me away in the night?
>>
>>17206116
Was your oil hot when you checked it the first time and cold the second time?

Also, every engine will burn some oil. A quart every 3-4000 miles isn't too abnormal for an older car.
>>
>>17207502
Well the thing is, i've been checking it everyday for that week since i noticed i had a dry dipstick(topped it up then).
Whenever i checked the oil, i hadn't driven the car for at least 12 hours and i assure you i hadn't driven anywhere near that much.
>>
File: IMG_20170515_152954.jpg (2MB, 2976x3968px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170515_152954.jpg
2MB, 2976x3968px
Have a somewhat large scratch on my newly acquired 06 impreza. I don't know how it got there, might be from previous owner. However, I cant feel it. The surface is completely smooth. Does anyone have an idea of what it could be, and if so, how I could fix it?
>>
File: concern.png (551KB, 964x912px) Image search: [Google]
concern.png
551KB, 964x912px
>find good deal on 92 Grand Marquis
>not listed on /o/ guide but other versions are
>it's the first year of it's generation, which I've read is a problem
I-is it still a good car
>>
Regarding MegaSquirt ECUs.

Can i use a MS (piggyback) with any modern (95+) cars ECU? Or is there only certain ECUs it will support, so instead i would have to buy a Standalone MS ECU.

I ask because i want to be able to buy a shitbox, turbo it and run a MS to control it.. Then a year or two later - i want to buy a different shitbox and turbo it and so on and so forth.

Is MS the right choice for me?
>>
What's the Jay Leno episode with Doug DeMuro?
I can't find it
>>
>>17205864
As long as you have the money and dedication go ahead as long as you have another car as a daily
>>
>>17206101
Please keep the 6.9 NA so as to save an IDI engine from blowing up prematurely. It'll probably be less of a hassle and definitely safer to swap in a turbo 7.3 lol
>>
Bought car parts on ebay a month ago and the guy said "oops the shipping costs went up, can't send your item" what can I do? I REALLY want the fucking item
>>
>>17207482
>Complaining about an engine not consuming oil
How old is vehicle? Did it burn oil before?
If there's oil on the underside of the fill cap after
you run it and it's not a turbo I wouldn't worry

>>17207743
you probably rubbed against a bush or other shrubbery
if no scratch it will buff out

>>17207905
>just a cooler crown vic
you're good

>>17208746
tell him to stop being an hysterical jew and threaten to report him to amazon for false listing/ fraud if he doesn't send part
alternative: tell his cheap ass to use a different carrier
>>
>>17208746
Tell him you want a full refund.
>>
>>17208746
eBay sellers are very concerned about their ratings, warn him about that.
>>
>>17208829
>>17208838
>>17208845
Guy claims to be in the hospital and will "check his notes" on how much the shipping went up, like I said I want the item more than the money. What is the protocol here? The dude charged money for the item and money for shipping, then says he hasn't taken the money out of PayPal and it isn't enough to cover ups or FedEx anyways.

At what point does ebay step in?
>>
Buddy has a Foxbody GT, convertible, not sure what year.

He bought it for 3k, wants 3k.

Is that fair?
>>
>>17208862
Just ask for a refund from PayPal. Or disputebit with eBay. What's the item in question? Surely it's not worth getting ripped off (because that's exactly what he's doing).

What the seller is doing is against eBay rules. He is also totally bulshitting you on the hospital thing.

Remind him about the terms and conditions that he agreed upon, and that if he can't hold up his end of the bargain, that you are going to dispute it with eBay.

Idc how much you care about this item, this is a scam.
>>
>>17208862
If hes taken the money he has to ship the item. Its not your concern shipping now costs more and he cant afford it. You paid however much it cost to get it shipped when you bought it and he is obliged to ship it.

if he keeps fucking about contact ebay or paypal.
>>
>>17208862
You, as the buyer, have the advantage in this situation. He is trying to take advantage of your goodwill or whatever, because he knows he can't get you on any technicalities. You have to be ruthless on the internet because people (including him especially) will try to scam you at every turn. Either dispute it and get your money back, or tell him to ship it at his loss. He might not even have the item, and will never ship, and is just stalling so you can't dispute the purchase.

You are about to get scammed, please stop letting yourself get cucked.
>>
>>17207171
>>17207173
Then yeah it's just not writing right. Might try on another device to be sure. Could be the program too.
>>
>>17208862
You don't need the item you dumb nigger. Anything that isn't necessary for your car to operate isn't needed. And if it is and you really don't care about money then you'll just go to your nearest dealer.
>>
How does /o/ feel about aftermarket LED headlights? I recently bought a 2015 Fusion SE but I really like the new LED running lamps in the 2017 models.
>>
File: images.jpg (19KB, 512x287px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
19KB, 512x287px
Hey guys I'm looking at buying a 80s Nissan s12 gazelle, does anyone have any experience with these cars? Are they shit to work on any gremlins known bad rust areas?
>>
>>17206164
Have you checked the idle air control valve?
>>
Does anyone know if 2nd gen s10s use any sae fasteners? If only come across metric so far but some american cars use both.

Trying to figure out which tool set to buy for it.
>>
>>17205719
Unless you are completely retarded any clutch shoukd be fine for learning
>>
File: 1482527290039.jpg (123KB, 663x569px) Image search: [Google]
1482527290039.jpg
123KB, 663x569px
What the fuck is "steering feel"?
>>
Are 5.3 truck engines good for making moderate amounts of power (~400-450)? Do they mate up with other LS mating transmissions? Is there a large aftermarket or is it non-existent?
>>
>>17208902
>>17208906
>>17209142
>>17209218
Damn it, it's gonna take 4 days for ebay to step in with the refund shit... I doubt this guy is going to respond. Does ebay give me money back?
>>
Should I buy a 2013-14 Mazda3 Touring for around 10 grand or should I buy something else for around that amount?
>>
File: 323212dss.jpg (78KB, 876x858px) Image search: [Google]
323212dss.jpg
78KB, 876x858px
This piece of shit worth it? Has missing title btw.
>>
>>17209300
Yes to all
>>
>>17209331
>Should be
>>
>>17209331
>automatic
Bruh
>>
>>17209342
>>17209366
Looks like it's a pass, boys.
>>
My car from 1999 makes a beeping noise when put into reverse, and it's incredibly annoying.

No, it does not have any sensors, and it does not have a rear camera. You cannot hear the sound from outside the car.

How do I get rid of this?
>>
What is the best new car for under 20k? An older lady in my family is looking to buy a new car and was asking for help deciding what she should get.
My mom has been pushing the Kia Soul, I have recommended the Chevy Cruze and Honda Fit, and she seems to like the Chevy Sonic.

Here are the requirements in no particular order.
>Must have good safety ratings
>Must seat 5 with at least decent leg room/general comfort
>Decent rear storage with the seats up is preferred
>Hatchbacks are preferred for some reason
>Must be available with automatic transmission within the 20k budget
>Navigation system highly preferred and rear backup camera is required
>She isn't exactly tech savvy so unneeded apps, driving modes, etc are not really plusses and would probably just drive up cost
>>
File: goose.jpg (66KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
goose.jpg
66KB, 640x640px
>>17209331
>should be easy to start

lmao
>>
>>17205384

I need to change all the brake hardware on my Volvo 240, non-ABS. Are "organic" brake pads a decent fit, also considering I drive pretty unhurriedly?
>>
>>17209379
I don't know what I'm talking about I just think he should know whether or not it starts and be honest if it doesn't.
>>
File: 20170515_155658.png (3MB, 2627x1346px) Image search: [Google]
20170515_155658.png
3MB, 2627x1346px
Stupid image size limits, had to crop this to hell and back to be able to post it
Anyway which is better? I dont care about "muh bass" and all that nigger-tier stuff. Got both for free, ill probably put the cheaper one in if there's not a major difference. Might just sell both
>>
I feel a bit of vibration in the wheel with moderately heavy breaking at speeds of about 100km/h+. Nothing crazy but definitely something. Also their is a very slight oscillating squeak that comes from my front right side of my car. You can only hear it when you pass something that sound can be bounced off of. Really weird, i don't think it's the brakes sticking. Have felt my rotors multiple times after long drives and they all feel the same temperature. Idk how good of an analysis that is.
>>
Wanting to transfer a title to my name today, but forgot ypu have to fill out a form here. Previous owner has to sign it. I could probably get him to, but i wanted this done today. Office closes in an hour. Forging his signature wont matter right? He already signed the title and gave it to me, and his signature looks easy af to forge
>>
>>17209613
Don't be a fucking idiot, forging a signature is taken seriously and you WILL be prosecuted.

Just wait until tomorrow.
>>
>>17209668
I know, but the cars already been sold to me. I have the title, and his signature on the title is basically a circle. A blind person could forge it properly. The only way they could find out its forged is if they contact the guy to ask if he sold it, and i doubt theyd do that
>>
>>17209613

Flip a coin.
>>
How do I learn stick without knowing anybody with one.
>>
>>17209311
Do you know how to read? They literally tell you how things are going to go down when you start the claim. Either he'll wait until the last second and refund your money, or he'll keep it. Then ebay will refund your money, delete his account, and go after him for the money back.
>>
>>17209728
Rent one. Or steal one if you're not a pussy.
>>
Why doesn't the engine stall when you connect engine to wheels with the parking brake still on? Doesn't the axle need to be spinning?
>>
i have a ford focus 2007 that I fucking hate, its in decent condition, 90k miles. Do i have any options that wouldn't make me spend more than 1-2 grand? I hate the focus because its white, its a ford, and the stereo is not upgradable and shit.
>>
File: 00g0g_97ivDKSjdzB_600x450.jpg (38KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
00g0g_97ivDKSjdzB_600x450.jpg
38KB, 600x450px
>>17209230
only good if you install a proper housing.
QUESTION: looking to get a POS beater and the headlight is out. could I just grab a headlight from any car, nigrig it up, and have it work?
Are the plug ins basically universal?
>>
>>17209753
There wasn't much to read, the process on ebay just said "send the message, wait 4 days, and we'll get back to you" but that is a relief
>>
>>17207295
Car specific forums help.
There's not a haynes manual out for my car so I did some searching online.
I found someone uploaded the complete workshop manual for my cars model online.
>>
>>17207743
It doesn't look past the clearcoat, this video should help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nYF46P7B2c
>>
>>17209490
>open paint.net
>resize image
>2000px*xxxx
>save image as
>quality 90%
Image should be around 500kb now
>>
>>17205579
2012 Scion FR-S for <$10k, finance through credit union or buy outright
>>
Will boxy cars ever make a comeback? Lots of people like the look, and once electric cars become common fuel efficiency would basically be a non issue.
>>
My MR2 has a gen 4 3SGTE swap

I'm having the catalytic converter put back in Wednesday. Do you think that will be enough to pass smog?

I'm in Arizona so there's no visual inspection, just a dyno and a little sensor in the exhaust pipe.
>>
>>17209490
>power acoustik
>muh bass
>Alpine
>muh Alpine

Alpine for interior speakers, Power Acoustik for trunk bumps.
>>
>>17210305
"safety" won't allow it. Fucking forget it.
>>
What is the best differential for just general fuckery?

I will mostly be ripping donuts and drifts, burnouts, ect. In a pickup though, so nothing really fancy.

My options are a:
Torsen
Positrac
Ratcheting locker
Airlocker (probably not)

Can't weld/spool it, it's a c-clip axle
>>
>>17210516
lunchbox locker that axle up real quick
>>
>>17210516

Torsen.
>>
>>17210580
Already regearing it, so all choices are the same for install
>>
File: 30w.png (356KB, 995x647px) Image search: [Google]
30w.png
356KB, 995x647px
>>17205384

Just removed all the HIDs from my accord 09

know my fogs and lowbeams are H11s

Why does the catalog say 9005 for high beams yet Honda says they are HB3?
>>
File: kia_soul.jpg (112KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kia_soul.jpg
112KB, 1280x720px
>>17210412
What makes them less safe? They're just different shaped panels, you can put any shape of frame under them.
>>
>>17210666
It's about pedestrian safety, not occupant.
>>
>>17210682
Explain.
>>
>>17210704
Round panels allows meat bags to roll off instead of being shredded by crisp lines. Tiny wheel wells that can't suck in body parts. High belt line to prevent getting caught by the arm. 6ft tall grill that'll just bump someone down instead of doubling them at the waist, or shins and flinging them into the air. So on and so forth.
>>
>>17210764
But when driverless cars go big that also becomes basically a non issue. Plus we're moving into a future with very limited car use outside of rural areas and highways, so that'd also reduce pedestrian collisions.
>also thanks for explaining the details of modern car design, I didn't know any of that even mattered
>>
Just dropped my car off at maaco - lots of reviews and a few acquaintances said they do good work there, and the guy looked over my car and said he'll do his best to tackle the rust spots.

But it's still maaco, I'm only 1.1k out, how fucc'd am I?
>>
>>17210321
Guys please help
>>
>>17210803

Just buy an old car and restomod it for $30,000.
>>
>>17210812

Before and after pics please... when you get it.
>>
>>17210835
Browse the toyota general in like 7 days
>>
When I down shift, I typically let the engine and rpm slow down "naturally," hit the clutch, down shift, and let the clutch up slowly without hitting the accelerator, if I rev match then everything happens smoothly... Is this bad for my car though?
>>
>>17207276
Throw-out or pilot bearing
I think pilot bearing
>>
>>17210812
You fucked up. You should have done the body work yourself.

Maaco is only good for spraying. Not metal work, not prepping, not masking, only spraying.

maybe this guy is an exception but its a big gamble.
>>
>>17209292
I think it's mostly how strong the power steering assist is.
In racing, amd sometimes driving, you can feel the steering get heavier or lighter under heavy braking, acceleration or say when cresting a hill. It helps you know how much traction you've got up front.

Overpowered power steering takes a lot of that feedback away. Also the steering wheel has an effect.
>>
>>17209331
Get this instead
>>
Any good floor jack and jack stand recommendations?
>>
>>17209383
Stop parking in spots you have to reverse out of
>>17209390
I'd say Honda Fit probably
>>17209494
Warped brake rotor
>>17209867
Auto or manual?
Autos have a torque converter that allows the engine to run while the car is stopped.
>>17210321
How the fuck would we know you fucking moron.
>guys I have to drive my shitbox cross-country tomorrow. I can put the spare tire back in the trunk tonight. Will that be enough to get me to Miami?

That's what you sound like
>>
>>17211029
It's more wear on the synchros and other parts the way you're doing it. Eventually they'll wear out. Just blip the throttle my man.
>>
i know nothing about cars, is there a guide for dummies like on /fit/
>>
I've noticed that 4 and 6 cylinder engines are turbocharged more often than supercharged, whereas v8's are more often supercharged. Why is this?
>>
>once a week have intermittent fast right blinker
>can see front blinker reflecting off car in front of me so I know it works
>every time I pull over to check it, it stops
>changed rear bulb and it still happens
Electrical gremlins? Connections are solid and there's nothing funny like condensation or anything happening.
>>
>>17211171
Harbor Freight.
>>
>>17211193
>losing your shit over a legit question

>>17210321
Your car would probably pass the test. The cat is the only thing you removed right?
Honestly some places dont care about doing it right. As long as they have enough plausible deniability if it comes back on them. Ask around if anybody knows "a guy" or a shop thatll go easy on the test. I passed emissions in TX with a gutted cat, and passed the yearly inspection with a couple things that should of failed me, like a missing headlight.
>>17210331
Thanks senpai
>>
>>17211237
How much are you willing to spend to learn about them? $0.00? Then no you won't learn anything.
>>
>>17211400
give me links to books and ill buy them, I know nothing.
>>
>>17211269
Its more of a tradition thing. However Part of it has to do with the fact that superchargers, whilst putting out less power overall becuase of greater parasitic losses, provide power across the rev range, and turbos have to be spooled up.

Now consider the fact that low end power is more desirable in towing and drag racing, and V8's traditionally were applied to those uses in trucks and muscle cars, and its more obvious why they were used.
>>
>>17211413
You'll need to buy a car AND books, AND tools.

You can learn a little from howstuffworks and wikipedia, but it'll still sound like gibberish if you don't actually see those parts in action.
>>
>>17211360
>>17211171
Get this one when they have their big tent sale thing. I got mine like 6 years ago and it's still perfect.

https://www.harborfreight.com/automotive-motorcycle/floor-jacks/3-ton-low-profile-steel-heavy-duty-floor-jack-with-rapid-pump-61282.html
>>
>>17210803
>But when driverless cars go big that also becomes basically a non issue.

So you would think.

There's not been enough to time, nor enough cars on the road to see if that will be an issue or not.

After the several incidences of Tesla's killing their occupants and google cars causing accidents, I still feel we're still aways off from vehicle design not mattering.
>>
>>17211368
Correct, the cat is the only thing removed.

Right now it goes from turbo exhaust to downpipe to berk mufflers. The engine doesn't have an EGR or anything like that so I just wasn't sure how greatly that would affect what comes out of the tailpipe or anything like that. Or if they cat would be enough or if I might need a second one or something crazy

Just did some googling and found out that as long as they aren't suspect to do a visual, it should pass. Arizona usually doesn't do visuals without suspicion of tampering, which by having the cat (and O2 sensor and that shit) back in place I should be good. As long as no CEL gets thrown, which it shouldn't.

I think all the stations here are state run so it's a little harder to slip by but it seems like other have done it by the books.
>>
>>17210637
Have you looked to see if the parts are interchangeable? Do you have an upgraded Headlight option?
>>
>>17211460
You really need to read more than just headlines. Incidents with Google cars were always the driver's fault, and Tesla's driverless tech hasn't hurt anyone.
>>
>>17205901
>>17206063
If Google cant answer the question, it deserve a thread.
>>
>>17211497
You need to bait your hook son, how do you expect to catch any fish?
>>
>>17211708
>Know you can't refute point
>"Oh haha I know I'll just call it bait instead that'll prove I'm right"
>>
>>17206296
Would it be possible to learn to drive a manual through gran turismo with one of those steering wheel setups?
>>
File: uwotm8.jpg (2KB, 108x125px) Image search: [Google]
uwotm8.jpg
2KB, 108x125px
>>17209898
sell it and buy something good
consult sticky

>>17211865
>mfw he thinks there's a vidya clutch
Gran Turiskeks
the real keking simulator
>>
>>17211865
Not sure about gran turismo, but it could really help you learn. My roommate plays a lot of Assetto Corsa with a G29 setup, and when I taught him how to drive my shitbox he had no problems. Its easy to drive a manual, its making it smooth and not as rough on the transmission that you can't get from a video game.

imo, as long as you don't learn on a car with a glass transmission, you should be fine getting whatever car you want.
>>
i got this little rust spot on my car. i can sand it down can i? what are the steps i should take and materials i should use? please help me
>>
>>17212523
that part of my car is fucked up and i'm waiting for a friend of mine to fix it for me but he is a busy man and who knows when he will be able to fix it
>>
>>17211127
Get what instead?
>>
File: deez nuts guy.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
deez nuts guy.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>17212562
>DEEZ NUTS NIQQUA
>>
i have a 2000 ford ranger MT.
the current seats lump up in the middle with seatbelt things sticking out

is it possible to put a bench seat in there? what tools would i need?

i want qt tiny gf to snuggle up next to me on longer trips and as of now the middle seat is uncomfortable and makes her taller than me
>>
>>17205384
Yes, and it has more room than you might think.
t. Aw11 owner
>>
Currently waiting for cleaning supplies to arrive from Amazon. Should I wait until I get a polisher to clay or should I just do it now and do it again whenever I get a polisher?
>>
I bought foglights for a car that originally didn´t have any.
I got this eletronic component with them, my initial plan was wire them from any 12v source to a switch,

Is there any better way to do this?
>>
File: bx3.png (544KB, 1059x315px) Image search: [Google]
bx3.png
544KB, 1059x315px
>>17213248
Also here's a before and after
>>
>>17209266
Apparently the 2012 doesn't have an idle air control valve. It's drive by wire or whatever the lingo is.
>>
>>17209383
Are you from Australia?
>>
yes, wire them up through the relay switch as intended, and wire the relay solenoid to the on/off switch on the dash.
>>
>>17214606
meant for
>>17213290
>>17213248
>>
>>17211106

Thanks a bunch.
>>
Im having a hard time getting pistons into thr cylinder. Ive bought 2 different ring compressor but it won't go in. The oil rings pop out and won't go in. I've used lube too
>>
>>17214643
are you putting them in from the bottom or the top of the block
>>
>>17214643
have you honed the cylinders?
>>
File: 20170516_193919.jpg (936KB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170516_193919.jpg
936KB, 3264x1836px
>>17214606
I'm not sure how to read the solenoid schematic, switch has 5 pins and solenoid has 5, I'm good at soldering and wiring since I fix phones and videogame consoles.
>>
>>17214757
>>17214757
Yea i honed thr cylinder. It's from the top. I'm doing a Geo metro engine. I made sure the rings were on right and freely moving
>>
>>17214594
Yes.
>>
>>17214911

Boostedboiz is that you?
>>
File: 20170429_190025_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170429_190025_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4160x2340px
>>17214981
Sorry m8. It's a 4 door.
>>
Clicking sound near firewall when I fully depress my clutch pedal and when I start letting go of it.
>>
>>17215015

Throwout bearing maybe?
>>
>>17215015
Empty water bottle under clutch pedal?
>>
>>17215022

Every other symptom seems to point to this. Thanks.
>>
Looking to buy a 07 Civic LX. Selling for $4000 CAD with 144000km (90000miles). Original clutch, dealer serviced and maintained. I've currently got an 06 Civic DX coupe which I bought at $3000 with 245,000kms. The one I have now has had its engine block replaced, huge problem with the 06-08 civics non SI. I've got 315,000kms on the coupe and want the four door since it's cleaner, more features, working AC.

The engine block TSB would probably be expired or expire for the civic which is the only thing preventing me from pulling the trigger. As far as I and the seller, same guy I bought the coupe from, family friend see no leaks, is it worth taking the risk of the engine block not cracking or just waiting on a good deal for an 09+.
>>
File: 1482716270814.png (222KB, 331x424px) Image search: [Google]
1482716270814.png
222KB, 331x424px
I know jackshit about the mechanics of cars. are there any good books I could read that would help a total noobie to at least understand how to do basic maintenance and repairs on my car?
>>
When I wax my car, a whole bunch of little dings and stuff on the front of the hood show up. They kind of blend in normally, but they become really obvious when the car is freshly waxed. Is there anything I can do to fix them, or is it not worth it? I've never done the full-on clay bar and polishing and then waxing process, I always just wax by hand after washing. Would it be worth it to try polishing? I'm worried those spots already have a fucked clear coat so polishing might just make it worse.
>>
File: car-touch-up-paint-types1.jpg (49KB, 280x250px) Image search: [Google]
car-touch-up-paint-types1.jpg
49KB, 280x250px
>>17215175
Additionally, there's a couple of old paint chips which have started rusting a bit, now that I have some free time this summer I think I might try sanding them down and going over them with some touch up paint. Is this stuff good? I'm thinking of getting the little bottle, they also have little bottles of primer and clearcoat so I wonder if I could also use just the clearcoat stuff on the hood and then polish it up.
>>
I own a 2004 Sebring turbo. About a week ago i changed the air filter and now it makes this turbo flutter noise. Is the filter related or is it something else?
>>
>>17215174
Just buy a Haynes manual
>>
File: 2017-03-04 03.18.48 1~2.jpg (699KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-04 03.18.48 1~2.jpg
699KB, 1024x768px
I'm at 150k miles on my is250, bought it at 100k and Lexus service records show the water pump was replaced at 60k. No signs of the water pump failing and no apparent issues with the radiator. I hate dealing with cooling issues when they happen. Should I wait or just replace these parts now? I already have the OEM pump and radiator + hoses purchased.
>>
>>17214808
pins 1 and 2 are the solenoid. wire this to your cabin switch. 3 and 5 are for the lights, so that the connection closes when the solenoid has power.
godspeed
>>
I can't find mr2 spyder crash test results anywhere, did it ever get an official crash test?
>>
>>17215512
>2200 lb low convertible vs texting and driving soccermom in a crossover
You dead, senpai.
>>
File: 1489033482097.jpg (7KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
1489033482097.jpg
7KB, 259x194px
>>17212600
>bench seats
>existing in the '70's
pick one
the closest you'll get is the 60/40 split seat that came on base model rangers
>drivers is single seat, but passengers seat bridges tranny hump
>both sides move on their own
measure the seat rail brackets, but almost all seats should be swappable between like models
>reg. cab rails will only fit reg cab
>'97 and earlier seats can swap between regular and extended cab mounting rails
>after '98 they were integrated, so no seat swaps

>>17215273
check your vacuum hoses for proper connection and signs of deterioration, especially to to the wastegate diaphragm
>flutter
you're probably overboosting, that noise is air rushing backwards past the impeller and out the intake
>>
File: 1483047100177.png (318KB, 648x432px) Image search: [Google]
1483047100177.png
318KB, 648x432px
>>17215136
>trading a working 2 door with a known problem fixed in the hand for 4 door civic in the bush
>needing a/c in Canada
>literally buying a new car for four doors
you should put the money into fixing your a/c system and getting it detailed
it will be much cheaper
and when you do sell your civic it's nice and has higher value
also four doors weigh more than two if you are an shingu
plus you're on a DPRK soap opera forum so do you really have problems with people accessing the rear seat?
>>
>>17215547
Might be connections. I'll check em. TNX.
>>
>>17215230
i used it and it didn't match my paint
just get a can of rust neutralizing/self etching primer from Ace , tape around the shitty spot, lightly sand then spray
its not rocket surgery
>>
>>17215512
They probably didn't even bother desu. They knew how horrible it'd be
>>
File: 1494720165949.png (156KB, 362x259px) Image search: [Google]
1494720165949.png
156KB, 362x259px
>>17205384
How about this for a craigslist ad.

https://capecod.craigslist.org/cto/6132537487.html

This guy has been stockpiling Chrysler Lebarons it seems. Did he think they'd appreciate? Surely he didn't need this many to complete one car. This raises questions
>>
>>17215647
>Surely he didn't need this many to complete one car.
It's an old Chrysler dude. Wouldn't be surprised in the least
>>
File: 20170517_001838.jpg (1MB, 1940x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20170517_001838.jpg
1MB, 1940x1836px
>>17215339
Im getting the gist of it but I'm kinda guessing what number each pin is, does this make sense?
>>
Turbo my B18B1 or swap the head an ECU for a GSR/B18C1 or Type-R/B18C5
>>
File: mr2.jpg (490KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mr2.jpg
490KB, 1024x768px
Don't really know too much about buying used past 2000, can I get some opinions here?

>1991 MR2 GT
>service history
>1 owner sine 2000
>115k
>1200 bongbucks

I can already see the paint on the side and just at the end of the bonnet, and whatever's on the wipers. I'm gonna check it out tomorrow, any thoughts on what I should look out for?
>>
>>17215920
ground all on your battery no need to go through the switch.

and judging from the diagram on the relay you only have 1 N.O. contact so both your lights should be connected to the same pin (#5)
>>
>>17216369
Thanks! Will attempt and post results
>>
My buddy bought a new fancy Accord and offered me his 03 Pontiac Sunfire Coupe for $20 (the cost of the non-op).

Everything driving wise works fine, but both window motors need to be replaced and the driver's seat either needs new upholstery, a cover if I'm being really cheap, or better yet replaced entirely. Also the interior really needs to be detailed and given some TLC.

Worst case scenario I can turn around and sell it for a few hundred but to get it street legal again I'd be putting in the money for registration and Smog in CA (fuck this state).

How bad of a project is this?
>>
File: 1494620903181.jpg (73KB, 800x506px) Image search: [Google]
1494620903181.jpg
73KB, 800x506px
>>17205384
Does a car need to be level to bleed the brakes?
I only have a pair of jack stands so I can only lift one half at a time.
>>
Is normal to find imprints on a car's frame from where it was put on jack stands?
I used wood blocks to make it softer, but it let marks.
Didn't bend it, just left imprints. Should I be worried?
>>
>>17216594
It's pressurized so not really
>>
>>17215136

Less KMs, less headaches.

Current one is burning/sweating oil, not enough to warrant a top up between oil changes. Original clutch at @ 315000kms is starting to wear. Has dents,scratches etc.

The jump from a DX-G to an EX isn't crazy, but it would be nice to have working AC, leather, cruise control, and overall a cleaner car. The only thing I can't justify is the engine block not being fixed as it's a ticking time bomb, and I don't want to drop ~$1500 for a new R18xx if it does go.

Anyways, I'll have a look at it on Thursday and see if I really want it.
>>
>>17216785

Suppose to quote

>>17215594
>>
>>17212649
Passenger seat, pull it all the way forward, tilt backrest as far back as possible. My womanlet used to sleep on our trips to Vegas
>>
File: 1473227980459.jpg (100KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1473227980459.jpg
100KB, 540x540px
How hard is it to change a final drive in an old FWD car?

Specifically, is going from the stock 4.51 to 4.8 going to be worth my while?

I just want more acceleration from my ecobox.
>>
>>17216865
If you see ur car as just econobox why even bother ? Just save up for better car
>>
Anyone know what might be making this sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIaiCmN9-Ww

Basic info about the car is in the description, but it's a 1993 honda accord lx sedan.
>>
It rained really hard a few weeks ago and my clutch started creaking when you press it. The creaking still hasn't gone away, what should I check?
>>
>>17212523
sombody please help!
>>
can a GoPro be used as a dash cam too?
>>
>>17217432
I have a spot similar. I sanded it down to bare metal and put that rust primer stuff on it
>>
>>17217881
It's a camera and it's got storage so I can't see why not. I don't know if most dash cams operate like security systems but your Go Pro isn't going to roll over footage every 72 hours or however long you want to use it. (At least on mine there's no option)

You can use it as a dash cam sure but it depends on what you actually want to use it for. If you want to take video and then edit that on your PC it's fine, but it's not ideal for a CYA for security situation wear you want roll over every 48-72 hours
>>
>>17217947
what grit of sand paper did you use? please respond.
>>17217986
i work as a liverybus driver. so i guess a gopro is no good, thanks anon
>>
>>17217881

Probably but a dedicated dashcam is better because it has a wide angle lense capturing much more things. That and most good ones will have shock detection, parking mode and the ability to lock files.
>>
Japanese V8 sports cars - do they exist?
>>
>>17215647
don't have a link on me, but a friend sent me a craigslist ad for 13 lebarons, all garaged in this warehouse, in various states of disarray. this was 3 months ago I think
>>
>>17218057
600 and 1000
>>
https://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/6134476105.html
What do you guys think of this?
Looking for a DD that's fun and my first manual. Would this be a good choice? Is the probe a decent car?
The aftermarket spoiler and that white thing on the side worry me a little bit.
Also, is there anyway to tell if this has the v6 or the 4 cylinder?
>>
>>17218195
https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/6134495145.html
I found the same car posted again and it shows that it is the v6 so disregard that part
>>
Where's the best place I can learn about C3 ('78 L48 Automatic) Corvette suspension overhauling? I just bought an Anniversary Edition for $3,000 burgerbucks and it really needs almost all the rubber underneath to be replaced. May as well put the effort in and change out the sway bars and control arms too. I'm not really an experienced mechanic, but want this corvette to make me into a half-decent one. What tools can I expect to be needing in order to do the work myself? What stuff should I shell out for and leave up to a shop?

A second question, Where can I find a decent 70s-80s hatchback? I've been specifically looking for a Chevette or 79 plymouth horizon, but similar hatchbacks from those decades can be damn hard to come by. Unless it's for sale on carguru, finding one in a usuable, but fixer-upper condition is all but impossible.
>>
what's the GOAT when it comes to waxes?
>>
File: probulator.jpg (90KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
probulator.jpg
90KB, 960x540px
>>17218195
>https://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/6134476105.html

I personally drive a '90 LX automatic. The one with the v6 Vulcan. I can't stand the look of the later generations, but they are cheap as hell and good beater cars. I got mine with 49,000 original miles for $2500. people seriously underestimate their quality.

I don't think that lighting in the foot area is stock either. Things to look out for would be bad wiring and make sure the ricer hasn't done any major engine or transmission work. ask about the obvious accident that occured. pretty standard stuff.

Looks like a good buy nonetheless for 1900. I suggest haggling for 1200, and going for 1500, no more.
>>
File: oil.jpg (316KB, 1229x1313px) Image search: [Google]
oil.jpg
316KB, 1229x1313px
What is this oil thing for?
>>
>>17218349
https://www.google.com/#q=oil+kg/cm2
>>
looking for recommendations on two things
Car jack. I have an 06 Honda civic
Also i want a snow shovel that won't take up a ton of room
>>
>>17205579
if you want a slow midlife crisis car sure
>>
File: DSCF0856.jpg (92KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0856.jpg
92KB, 1024x768px
Toyota Chaser or a Commodore?
>>
>>17218792
Commodores are for fucking faggots.

Don't be a faggot.
>>
File: 1483725086923.jpg (26KB, 360x480px)
1483725086923.jpg
26KB, 360x480px
>>17218792
why not both
>>
File: screw copy.jpg (4MB, 6048x4032px) Image search: [Google]
screw copy.jpg
4MB, 6048x4032px
>>17205384
so I dun fucked up checking on a part I replaced
I found the torque spec online so I figured I'd torque it down to the rated spec
well I got like 1/16th of a turn then it started feeling loose
I turned it a few times then tried to figure out wtf was wrong
I just went out there and it doesn't seem to be broken all the way down, but if it was broken inside my engine block what should I do to get it out?
>>
>>17218935
You'll need some kind of extractor set and a way to get it in there. Otherwise, and I mean if you want to be cheap and ghetto, you could take another bolt and cut part of it off just enough to get it in there. If it requires some torque then that's probably not a good idea.

I did the second on my valve cover because fucking opposed engines. It was a regular bolt however.
>>
>>17205939
honda fit,
smart forfour manual if in UK
>>
>>17218825

>pic

wot
>>
>be a few years ago
>car shopping on craigslist
>have about 1500 to spend, but would like to spend less
>go to check out a Cressida
>1JZ automatic, clean interior, clear coat peeling, and a single dent that isn't too bad
>battery wont hold a charge, have to test drive it while revving the entire time
>can't turn lights on for more than a few seconds
>transmission wont shift gears, have to manually put it in 1-2-D-OD
>he's asking 1200
>offer 700
>he holds firm
>forfeit deal and walk away
>end up buying something else
fast forward
>not really shopping for a car
>stumble upon the same Cressida, same seller, same condition (sitting)
>his asking price is now 750

Should I try and low ball him again for like 500?
>>
>>17219319
Do it
>>
>>17219319
Yes
>>
>>17205384

So a compression test can tell you if an engine is worn out, but how would worn vacuum lines affect that compression? What else can be learned from a compression test?

I have sentimental attachment to my car but I need to figure out how much more it will cost to maintain. The engine isn't the only problem that needs fixing, but it comes to mind first since it is misfiring and gets horrible mpg.
>>
>>17218331
I'm just trying to decide if I like the car, or I like the pop-ups
>>
so my car burns a shit ton of oil and puffs white smoke sometimes, got it looked at and apparently i need a piston rings replacement(?)

i dont know much/anything about cars but apparently its a pretty big job.

Has anyone ever had it done before?
>>
>>17217411
master cylinder, look for leaks
>wet weather probably swelled rubber plunger
>>
>>17219362

Vacuum lines are on the other side of the intake valve, so they don't affect compression.
>>
>>17219603
scrap it, it's done
>not even joking
>>
>2011
>get my first 'real' job
>buy a shitty new hyundai accent
>only now paying it off
>hate the car

I've seen the light, I didn't really care back then but I'm selling this thing for whatever I can get. I'll be carless for a while but can I get suggestions on any 80s RWD hatchbacks or sports coupes that I should keep an eye out for deals on? Something that would be comfy and aesthetic that I can put money into over time.
>>
>>17219655

Okay thanks.
>>
>>17211441
Not that anon, but would taking some sort of part-time schooling in automotive mechanics be worth?

Or should it just be:
>Buy fixer-upper for $1k
>Buy Haynes for said car
>Buy Tools + Stand

I've considered both but I live in an apartment so I'd have no where to place nor work on the shitbox.
>>
>>17215029
Kek.
>>17218312
You're going to need a fucking large torque wrench for reassembly. (and the specs) I rebuilt the suspension on my 79 firebird and that was the only tool I didn't already have...
First thing you should do is get under there and size all the bolts/fasteners to make sure you have tools in the right size. Prevents you from having to leave mid-job to buy the 1 socket you're missing or to replace the wrench you bent because you bought tiwanese crap...don't buy tiwanese crap. While you're under there you can spray the bolts/fasteners with PB blaster to make your life easier.
>>
>>17219764
>get a small broken engine, hopefully a 4 stroke lawnmower but a 2 stroke weedwhacker, chainsaw, or similar will do (free, hopefully)
>buy a rebuild kit and manual for engine ($50-75)
>buy a cheap mechanics toolset ($40-150)
>learn2wrench
shouldn't take more than a weekend or two
and you'll have more xp than half of /o/
>working in the apartment
double layers of cardboard and newspaper and a shitty coffee table or desk
>>
>>17215174
I'm in the same boat. Knowledge-wise I have been watching Engineering Explained. On his website he has laid out his videos in an easy to follow/learn sequence of chapters that cover everything under the hood and how it works (so far).

Unsure of the rules regarding links on this board so here it is chopped up:

www howdoesacarwork com/p/1-engines_10 html
>>
File: IMG_0308.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px)
IMG_0308.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>17205384
Hey guys is this worth saving and how do I take off the rest of carbon build up off wd40 isn't working on it anymore
>>
>>17205384
check engine light threw p0420 which means catalytic converter. It runs good for now and I havent noticed any problems and is still quiet. Maybe too quiet. Anyways how do I get this fixed without breaking the bank.
>>
>>17219855
Did it run before you took it apart? If so, it's worth saving.
>>
My car isn't starting. When I turn the key there is a single click jump starting did nothing, however, it can be push started. Is this an issue with my starter?
>>
File: 1434738619198.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1434738619198.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
>06 BMW 330i
>122k
I'm looking into picking one of these up is this a mistake?
What should I look out for when buying one of these with "high millage"?
>>
>>17219924
I initially bought it to swap it in my mr2 because the engine that's in it right now is probably fucked by now. So now I'm just going to see what parts I'm going to mix and match. The guy I bought it from said cylinder head had 100,000 miles and the block had 200,000 and it was burning oil like a mad man so now I'm going to see if it was the valve stem seals that are fucked
>>
File: 1489644105866.jpg (12KB, 439x222px) Image search: [Google]
1489644105866.jpg
12KB, 439x222px
Would it be a bad idea to buy a GS400/GS430 for under 6k even if it passes a good PPI? I can't imagine they're particularly expensive to maintain as long as I do most of the work myself.
>>
>>17219952
Check battery charge/voltage and connections
try to duplicate problem
then when no start reappears hit starter with hammer
if starter engages starter is going bad
>>
Gonna go check out a MK1 Seat Leon tomorrow. (Non-Euros: MK4 Golf)

What should I look out for?
>>
>>17219603
engine rebuild, or replacement

the more you drive it, the more costly your rebuild is going to be.
>>
>>17219713
fox body 5.0
>>
File: d5e.jpg (27KB, 271x294px) Image search: [Google]
d5e.jpg
27KB, 271x294px
2005 focus, manual trans

Feel something like a misfire or hesitation when I'm holding the throttle at the same position and just cruising. Happens usually at low-mid RPM, barely ever at high RPM. No codes thrown or CEL flashing at all. Nothing wrong with emissions equipment according to the scanner. The car has 156,000 miles and I'm pretty sure it's still got the original clutch, could it be slipping? I figure if it was, it would happen at higher RPMs or when I'm trying to start, but I haven't had difficulty there.
>>
>>17220631
Clutch would slip at higher gears and at high load sooner than it would at lower gears.

How old is the ignition system?
>>
>>17219958
You should be looking for a Bentleys Repair manual, a complete overhaul of the cooling system, and probably a complete overhaul of the bushings and suspension, and what ever special tools needed to fix all that shit.
>>
>>17220645
>at higher gears and at high load
I experience it when I'm in 4th or 5th, sometimes 3rd, and giving it a little bit of throttle. Nothing I'd call a high load.

Dunno how old the ignition is, not the first owner. I guess I should pull the plugs and see if they're shitty.
>>
>>17220673
probably couldn't hurt to change the fuel filter either. Low fuel pressure will cause hesitation
>>
File: IMG_20170517_150443.jpg (4MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170517_150443.jpg
4MB, 3036x4048px
So I've been helping a friend working on this Prevost bus that we're converting and we've ran into an issue. We can't tell what brake type it is to replace it. We've been under the impression that it was a E-12/E-15, but I think it's an E-6/E-10. Any help /o/?
>>
File: IMG_20170517_150338.jpg (3MB, 3036x4048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170517_150338.jpg
3MB, 3036x4048px
>>17220705
This is the other valve's serial number
>>
I got clogged cat in my Golf, no second lambda sensor. Should I go new cat or just pipe?
>>
>>17205384
what is the cheapest used awd manual car right now?
>>
File: 20170517_172244.jpg (674KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170517_172244.jpg
674KB, 2048x1152px
>>17220700
>>17220645
Well I found this one ignition coil is some kind of aftermarket that doesn't even match, like the PO pulled it from a spare parts bin. The wrong one is on the bottom, the contact doesn't come forward as far and is likely making a shit connection with just the tip of the spark plug, rather than surrounding it like the stock one. It's also wrong for my engine because you have to put it in at a slight angle to be able to bolt it down. Should have checked this shit earlier.
>>
>>17220753
Do you have emissions testing? No? Get someone to either hollow the cat out or put a pipe in.
>>
>>17205579
>Planning on buying a ANYTHING as my first manual
Rock on bud!
You have ambition/get up and go. Rare.
You will learn faster than you think you will.
No advice,you have what it takes and that's the want to learn.
Don't stress, breathe.
Best of luck to you.
I can't wait for you to not post about the lack of feel that Chinese plastic paddle shifting provides.
>>
>>17220811
Is that oil on the end? Oil will also foul the plugs too if its bad enough.
>>
Anyone have experience with Brand New Muscle Car? Do they do leasing?

http://brandnewmusclecar.com/index.html

I want to buy a '67 Shelby Mustang someday and they do brand new builds and restorations.
>>
File: The Crew2017-5-8-20-34-31.jpg (349KB, 2715x1527px) Image search: [Google]
The Crew2017-5-8-20-34-31.jpg
349KB, 2715x1527px
>>17220974
Also, is this a real hood option for a '67 Shelby? Custom or otherwise? I googled for a while and got nothing.
>>
File: 1494333423561.jpg (52KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
1494333423561.jpg
52KB, 600x800px
Can someone link/post the My Summer Car video? The one where he complains about owning a car,drinks peer and gives the finger to an oncoming car?
Trying to get my buddy into this.
I am far from home.
>>
>>17221184
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIZ3zs26RDQ

MY SOUMI CAR KHAME
>>
How do you figure aftermarket spring rates? Like is there a trick to ballpark what you'd want in your springs?
>>
>>17220974
>$120,000 for a Bronco
boomers are straight-up retarded
>>
File: 1494057670620.jpg (31KB, 670x503px) Image search: [Google]
1494057670620.jpg
31KB, 670x503px
So I brought my car in to get some new tires, and when i did the guy helping me went out of his way to tell me sports tires arent compatible with my car (2012 corolla le) and i needed touring tires. I never mentioned to him i wanted performance or sports tires and i don't really give off that vibe (fade in the masses late 20s white guy). But now i am curious, why wouldn't they be compatible?
>>
File: 2001 grand am GT.jpg (85KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
2001 grand am GT.jpg
85KB, 1024x768px
How are GM N bodies for performance and reliability? Looking at a Grand Am with the 3400 V6, I hear it has problems.
>>
>>17218935
Drill it out, do it the old fashioned way or get some left cut twist drills and do that.
>>
I saw the thread, now I don't.
I asked. Question, but now it's gone.

>3.5 turbo V6 puts out more HP as a something something V8 etc power to weight ratio something something

Why aren't there bigger V6s? They seem to max out in the 3 liter range... 4.0 is biggest I know of.
>>
>>17221844
>Why aren't there bigger V6s?
they are extremely unbalanced and inefficient af. The v6 crankshafts are extremely complicated and require tedious balancing.

also, a v8 with a turbo would beat the v6 with a turbo when it comes to power/weight.
>>
>>17221889

Roger that. I think it was about the Ford GT vs Something.
>>
File: 1486361022774.jpg (29KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
1486361022774.jpg
29KB, 500x492px
I have a '91 MR2. Sometimes the passenger window won't go back up after opening it, and sometimes it will only close about 75% of the way. When the driver's side door is opened slightly, the switch raises the window again. This is an inconsistent problem and I can't always reproduce it. My thinking is that there's a break in contact somewhere in the wiring harness between the driver's door and the driver's side switch. Anyone have experience with this kind of issue? How would I go about testing this?
>>
>>17221648
Because he's an idiot and the computer told him so. Any tire is compatible with any car as long as it fits on the wheels you've got.
>>
>>17205384
Are VTECs really just a meme?
My old company truck before they replaced it was a Tacoma TRD v6 VTEC. It had over 200 thousand miles but goddamn if I didn't fucking love that thing. I should've just paid them a grand to scrap the truck and take out the damn engine myself.

Why does everyone hate on VTECs? That shit really does feel like you have a turbo on when you hit high revs
>>
File: turbo setup.jpg (70KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
turbo setup.jpg
70KB, 960x540px
>>17206101
Ima make this kinda simple, as to put in exactly the amount of effort youre gonna put into this project truthfully, NONE.
Any ways, where you have a muffler, you put in a decent, common, junkyardish turbo from "X".
Anything after the muffler, you just replace with a pipe, as large as the previous pipe, if not 1/4" bigger.
Now you run a charge pipe, the part of the turbo that spits out the air rather than takes it in, alllllllll the way to the intake, aka throttle body. This is much easier in a truck, so youre lucky.
Now the hard part, the turbo is lubed by an oil line, usually cooled also, and you have to route a system of return and feed lines to the turbo. This is actually the only part you need to worry about physically in a remote system that isnt too stressed.
Then when you have the turbo/ charge pipe plumbed, and the turbo lubed and cooled, all you have to do is tune it like it would be with a turboed diesel.
But like i said, you aint doing shit to your car, and i just wasted my time.
But hey, its kinda motivating me while i wait on the machine shop to finsh my block/head, so i can complete my build that ima ACTUALLY do.
300hp+ honda FTW!!!
>>
>>17206224
Take the wheel off SAFELY, with jack stands and all.
The caliper is the part with the rubber line running into it, its the more complicatyed looking part.
The caliper bracket just holds the caliper to the hub via a bracket, durrrr.
Stick a flat head screwdriver in the caliper, and push back the pistion, that looks like a metal cylinder that slides into the caliper itself. Just pry the clyinder back into the caliper.
Now loosen the two bolts holding the caliper to the caliper braket.
The whole caliper will now slide off.
Try to keep the weight of the caliper from the line, as it could break the line, but youre replacing them right soooo...
Ca;iper is now of, now loosen the two bolts holding the caliper bracet to the hub assembly.
The rotor should be free of anything holding it, unless there is some kind of screw on the rotor itself holding it to the hub. If so, take off said screw.
Now the rotor itself is probably stuck, so you take a decentl sized hammer, and hit it. Where you hit it depends on if you plan to keep it, but mainly, you hit it on the large center circle, where the hub is connected, but isnt the actual face of the rotor, where the brake pads meet the rotor.
WHACK THE FUCKER TILL IT GIVES INTO YOUR WILL.
Its metal, yo wont hurt its feelings, at all, fuck that bitch(es).
Rotor is loose.
You either now replace with new rotors, or you "turn" the old ones to recondition them.
You said replace, aka new ones, so lets continue.
You place new rotor into place, the repace the caliper braket, probably.., as most time you can place the new pads over the bracket after its already been tightened.
If you can do that, install the new pads onto the caliper braket before installing bracket onto hub.
>>
>>17206224
Now hopefuly you pryed the caliper piston back enough, becasue the thickness of the new pads and new rotors means that the caliper has to go that much distance into the caliper before it will clear, and slide on.
You have the caliper piston slid back enough you say? The caliper slides on perfectly you say??!?
You tighten both the braket and the caliper with their bolts, and hot damn you just did a brake jump, back yard style.

Now assuming the brakes are all assembled, onto the lines.
Easy.
Take some penetrating oil, you really truly need this, and spray where the line goes into the caliper, and where it meets the "hard line", basically the purely metal, nonflexible metal line.
Soak them bitches.
Wait, then soak again, this shit will save you ALOT of trouble.
Now what you want to do is get the Perfect sized wrench, and loosen the nuts on either end.
>>
>>17206224

You. Do NOT. Want. To Strip. Anything. Here.
Its slipping? Get something that wont, dont destroy the line!!!!
This is the most important, and key thing of replacing the lines, dont destroy/round off the lines.
You have the loose now? Just put on the new lines in the same way you took the lines off.
Firm, tight snugness, but do not round anything off, its only trouble from there.
You replaced all the lines you wanted??
On the caliper its self, there is a bleeder screw.
Its basically a bolt with a hole on the top. You loosen this, and the fluid in the brake lines/caliper is free to come to the outside world.
What you do after replacing the lines, is you loosen the bleeder screws in the corners of the car that you just replaced lines in, because as you replaced the lines, fluid just piurs out, and drains the master clyinder,the part in the engine bay you pour in new brake fluid.
So now the bleeder screws are loose, the fluid from the master cylinder in the engine bay will start to be sucked into the opened lines, via gravity.
What you have to do is make sure the master cyl in the front doesnt run dry of fluid, becuase if it does, the the system will draw in air instead of brake fluid, then you have to start all over.
But what you have to do is keep adding fluid into the master cyl in the front, till the lines you replaced stop pushing out bubblers of air, and are leaking pure fluid.
Then you close the bleeder screws, and you should be good.
Start thecar, and mash the brake pedal a bunch of times. If it feels good, if not better than before, than you are good to go. Put the tires back on, and rock and roll/
If the pedal feels soft or spongy, you still have air in the system.
Get someone to help at this point.
With the engine off, have someone press the brake pedal several times, then HOOLLDDDDD.
You open the lines in this order, doing the ones you changed, rr, lr, rf, lf.
>>
>>17206224
You do this one at a time, PER SESSION.
So if you only changed the rear lines, you would open the right rear only then...
Open the rr bleeder screw, it'll blow out some air/fluid. Close it, have the person pump the brakes again, hold then open again.
Do this till no air comes out. then move to the next line in order, doing all lines you changed. One At a Time.
You should be good at this time

IM soo tired of typing, so thats what youre getting.
If you dont have a clue at this point, just let someone more experienced do it, theres no shame in it.
>>
What does steering wheel vibration mean? I'm feeling it after 60mph, tires are all properly inflated to door panel specs and I washed out any dirt in the wheel with a pressure washer.
>>
>>17205384
I got a friend who lives in ohio and has a learners permit/temporary license but he has no way to practice as he's in a poor as fuck family and everyone works
but he's coming over to visit this california for two weeks
how do we go about getting legal paperwork done so he can drive to practice in cali legally for his stay?
>>
>>17205992
Well. Since you improperly placed your scissor jack under the cv axle, you popped a bearing out of the cage. Get a floor jack and used jack stands...or don't and crush yourself under your whip.
>>
>>17205901
All questions deserve a thread. Some just have to share.
>>
>>17206116
Parked on a hill? Is your fat friend sitting in the back seat? Add oil. Check weekly. Report back.
>>
>>17207276
Clutch Release bearing.
>>
I legitmately like everything about this car. Should I get one at 101000mi at 13k?
>>
>>17209260
Looks like old 200sx
>>
>>17205384
What exactly is going on with automatic transmission I get to a certain point in speed close to when the car would upshift gears, but i notice if i let my foot off the accelerator a few seconds before it would upshift, for a second, i notice the RPM gauge dropping downwards
is the car upshifting or downshifting in this situation?
>>
>>17209494
Brake rotors warped. Need resurface or replace.
>>
>>17210321
Post emissions results tomorrow. And some pics of eng swap.
>>
>>17210764
No
>>
>>17211029
Brake jobs are easier than clutch jobs. I only downshift like that if I need engine braking or traction. On easy road, I just slow I neutral.
>>
>>17211307
Replace bulbs. Check for corrosion. Replace flasher.
>>
>>17214643
First, make sure you don't have a ridge at the top of the cylinder. Measure the cylinder with a dial indicator. Measure and compare the old pistons to the new pistons.
Second, Use PLENTy of clean engine oil and ratchet the ring compressor squarely and tightly. Use a wooden handle mallet or dowel and gently tap the piston downward. Remember. Square and tight.
>>
>>17219952
Check battery voltage at starter and solenoid. Replace starter .
>>
>>17220631
Throttle position sensor
>>
>>17220811
Good find. Now stick a wad of aluminium foil in there and take it for a test drive. JK

If the spark plug tube seals leak for a long enough time, they will fill with oil and you will have misfires again.
>>
>>17220892
>oil fouling plugs from outside combustion chamber. No
>>
>>17221648
Tire guy should be demoted to broom guy.
>>
>>17223164
Balance tires
>>
>>17223484
Nothing. It is decelerating.
>>
>>17223375
Can't do it. Permit drivers can only drive in their permit state. If you try it and get pulled over, you'll get a ticket, and his license will be suspended before he even gets it.
>>
>>17218140
lexus sc400
>>
>>17221648
>compatible
I'll give him a benefit of a doubt he chose he words wrong.
>>
If I were to get a 1993 skyline and import it from canada (via land border), is this worth it for an 80k mile car?
>>
File: fucking meta.jpg (74KB, 599x563px) Image search: [Google]
fucking meta.jpg
74KB, 599x563px
>>17205384
>Have 2008 PT Cruiser
>Manual 5-speed
>63k miles
How do I make it cool?
>>
>>17224831
You don't

There's a reason people call it the "PT Loser"
>>
File: Just fucking do it.jpg (22KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
Just fucking do it.jpg
22KB, 384x384px
>>17225041
Well I wasn't getting laid anyway, at least I'm finally getting the chance to drive manual
>>
>>17225076
Don't listen to what people say on this board, driving manual doesn't make you god like they want you to think.
>>
File: Sad.gif (580KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
Sad.gif
580KB, 500x275px
>>17225097
>So I have nothing to look forward to
Nioce, I hate drunk drivers
>>
File: nani.jpg (99KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
nani.jpg
99KB, 640x640px
Whats a good electric scooter/bike that can move at a decent speed and go five miles to work and another 5 miles so I can get to and from work.

I want to stop spending so much on gas and start leeching electricity from other sources to save me some money.
>>
File: 1407998884812.jpg (45KB, 634x626px) Image search: [Google]
1407998884812.jpg
45KB, 634x626px
why are the sport trims of normal cars (merc amg, ford rs, bmw m etc.) so much more expensive then the regular one?

for example, a 340i 3-series with all the bells and whistles costs around 60k brandnew, but the m3 starts at 110k. Now ofc the m3 has around 100hp more, and probably feels alot quicker but is it enough to justify paying 50k more? Since you are stil basically sitting in the same interior?
Thread posts: 331
Thread images: 61

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.