[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Modern autos are as efficient as their manual counterparts.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Modern autos are as efficient as their manual counterparts.
>>
>>17197202
... with 100 lbs of extra gears in the trunk.
>>
and less than half the fun
>>
>>17197202
I would even say they are more efficient.

But the cost is weight, complexity, reliability and maintenance needs.
>>
>>17197202
And offering the driver infinitely less control over the car
>>
>>17197235
/thread
>>
>>17197246
>But the cost is weight, complexity, reliability and maintenance needs.

The transmission is the least of your worries in a modern 4000lb car packed with 60+ computers, 40 electric motors and 12 miles of wiring.
>>
>>17197275
I completely agree, but I would say that of all the major components of a vehicle, the transmission is likely the first to need some sort of major overhaul beyond typical maintenance.

Yes, you can have major failures with the electronic components, but they aren't something that is essentially guaranteed to fail due to mechanical wear. Meanwhile, drivetrain components will need to be replaced at some interval.

But then there is always the fact the the vast majority of vehicles are going to get junked or totaled before any catastrophic mechanical failure.
>>
>>17197202
More expensive to fix and maintain.
More expensive to replace if needed.
Less human input = bad
Less fun.
>>
>>17197319

Most modern factory sealed transmission will make it to 150k+ miles easily. It's going to be the 1.5 liter engine putting out 300hp that's going to fail first.

But yeah it's pretty much the second or third owners problem. Even the shittiest new cars are reliable now.
>>
I've never driven an automatic before so I was wondering how responsive the throttle is. In my car right now in the lower gears it's much more responsive than in the higher gears. When I asked my friend about his automatic he said it's the same the whole time.
>>
>>17197387
There's a lot of throttle lag in my 16 f150 between the throttle by wire and electronic shift. Granted it always selects the appropriate gear when downshifting
>>
>>17197387
Depends on the car, how it's tuned, and what kind of tranny it's using
>>
>>17197333
And a large group of the populace just doesn't care.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.