[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

inboard disc brakes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: KRBupd5-2[1].jpg (49KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
KRBupd5-2[1].jpg
49KB, 640x427px
i know they are a maintenance nightmare. thought why aren't they used on more expensive performance cars?

reduced unsprung weight is always a good thing.
>>
Jesus christ that looks like a total pain in the ass
>>
>>17184024
its still has to be spun. its now just closer to the diff.
>>
gotta show off dem brembos, which limit wheel size, which equate to big ass wheels with big ass brakes.
>>
>>17184024
The unsprung weight savings isn't worth the design headache and the maintenance nightmare. Couple this with the trend of larger, more open looking wheels that show the brakes instead of the turbine style of the 70's and 80's, it's would look weird as fuck to have nothing behind them.
>>
I showed a pic of the old Jaguars with this setup to my drivetrain professor and his first thought was how much the brakes would cook the diff
>>
>>17184024
fun fact: humvees use diff brakes
>>
File: knuckle.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
knuckle.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
Wouldn't all that braking torque wreak havoc with the U-Joints?
>>
>>17184185
because of the portal axles?
>>
>>17184024
Aside from the other points raised ITT, probably harder to cool too.
>>
>>17184024
>>17184215
Yeah, cooling was my first thought.

The wheel basically acts as a fan/air mover to cool the brakes.
>>
>>17184196
Yes. I've seen a few civilian humvees on the side of the road with a half axle hanging down. Years of driving without maintenance* and then a good panic stop can break them.

*I don't know about the military's experience. Hard braking on dirt puts less strain on the components. Plus, having an in-house maintenance group makes preventative u-joint replacement relatively cheap.
>>
>>17184054
Unsprung, not unspun
>>
Harder to cool.
Same reason they don't use them in motorsport anymore
>>
>>17186230
its still unsprung moving it inward
>>
>>17184024
>reduced unsprung weight is always good
Not really. You're ADDING to SPRUNG weight here.
The concept of reducing unsprung weight is to increase power output by removing that spinning weight from the vehicle COMPLETELY, not by MOVING it to another part of the vehicle. Now you have more body roll and typically a higher center of gravity.
>>
>>17188481
Sprung weight is worth half the performance penalty of unsprung.
>higher cog
the weight is at the exact same height
>>
>>17188082
No it isn't you fuck. That's like saying the engine is unsprung.
>>
>>17188481
Unsprung weight has to do with handling, not power or parasitic loss. That would be rotational mass.

The less unsprung mass you have the more reactive the suspension is.
>>
File: 1468272730763.jpg (168KB, 918x669px) Image search: [Google]
1468272730763.jpg
168KB, 918x669px
>>17188082
If its inboard it is supported by the springs, hence sprung weight. On the wheels the springs are "on top" increasing the weight the suspension has to control.
>>17188481
Yeah the point is to reduce unsprung weight as much as posible. Doing so increases traction by alowing the suspension to keep the tire in full contact with the road as there is less momentum for the springs to control. The downsides as already pointed out are much harder to service/inspect, and cooling of the rotors.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.