[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here desperately want to know how to drive a truck or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (258KB, 919x800px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
258KB, 919x800px
Anyone here desperately want to know how to drive a truck or be a truck driver but know nothing about driving stick shift and have only drove automatic cars? i love the r model mack and i would love to drive one but i wpuldnt even know where to begin to shift. i wish i had a truck and just a ton of flatland to drive on to get the hang of it

would i be a failure if i dont know how to drive manuals and went to a truck driver school that is three weeks long? i feel like everyone would think im a pussy

ive changed air brakes a good bit and love doing that sort of stuff, i just really like trucks
>>
I was one of three people who knew how to drive a manual out of a class of 20.

It'd not hard at all, but they're gonna make you do stupid shit like double clutching and down shifting excessively.

Get your license, make easy and good money
>>
>>17176676
would i stand a chance really? thank you for replying

just curious, if youre in top gear like one most eatons i think its 8th gear what dobyou dobif you have to stop, turn quickly or come to a red light? how do you down shift that quickly or can you do like this: press range selesctor down and then just do to neutral and then up shift again when you have to get going again? also what gear do you start in on the road, can you start in 2nd?

seriously thank you
>>
>>17176676
Truckerfag here who has never driven manual before getting my CDL. I still double clutching and downshifting through 10 gears like a retard. They say it's better if you don't know how to drive manual, less bad habits to unlearn. Now I've ordered a new car in manual because I like shifting but have no idea how to drive a manual car. I hope I learn quick because I'll be learning how to drive a manual in my new car straight off the lot.
>>
>>17176732
how do you down shift before a stop sign that quickly? and what about sudden stops? in traffic would you stay in neutral and then go to first gear? doesnt holding the clutch in hurt it or something?
>>
It takes like 2 hours of practice to learn how to operate a heavy vehicle with a manual transmission, and like 1 month to get farily competent at it.

I taught my wife how to drive my semi and she's basically an alcoholic and a retard. She even backs the trailer up... okayish after about 4 pull ups.

It isn't hard. Standard transmissions used to be the only kind there was if you wanted to drive.
>>
>>17176768
lol thanks, injust have a few questions that are probably retarded but can you answer it since youd know

here they are
thank you
>>17176706
>>
>>17176747
I drive a 10 speed. Top gear is 40 mph-wgatever. You just work your way through the gears. If your running in 10th and need to slow down, downshift at 40 mph to 9th. If you need to keep slowing down, downshift at 30 mph to 8th. Some drivers just throw it in neutral if they need to slow down or stop, but that isn't how I was taught and I don't advise it. Also 10 gears isn't that much if you drive an Eaton 10 speed. The first 5 gears are just to get you in motion from a dead stop. Then you flip the splitter and go into 6th gear (first).
>>
>>17176794
so what if you have to come to a stop but dont have time to shift through more than a few of the gears?
>>
>>17176801
Shift and skip to lower gears.

Honestly I just hrow the shit into 2nd when coming to a stop and dump the clutch with the jake brake until it BRRRRRTTTS and creeps down to a near stop. I don't progress down all 9 gears in sequence and nobody I know does that either. I can see the concept, like you start to slow down, but than, "oh lord, the light turned green when I thought it'd be red forever, ad that 4-wheeler went into a ditch instead of blocking me, I can continue on without slowing down'

I find that argument lacking. I just skip to 2nd gear and slow down with that.
>>
>>17176844
so you hold in the clutch when at a redlight? so thats okay to do and dont you only hold it a few inches down so the throwout bearing wont touch the clutch brake or something?

thank you for explaining man
>>
>>17176801
Push the clutch in and brake. Downshifting is actually great because it keeps you in the right gear if you need to start gaining speed again, that's why I do it. But if you just all of a sudden have to stop from 10th gear, push in the clutch and brake. If you get to a low speed and are able to start accelerating again you'll have to look at your speedometer and rpms and maybe jam it into gear.
>>
>>17176706
I take off in third or 4th with a heavier load, 5th or 6th with light or empty loads. 1st and 2nd arent really used often

You're not supposed to coast in neutral, but modern braking systems can handle most of your stopping needs without shift braking

As for stopping in general, down shift once or twice from whatever gear you're in, come to a stop. Or if you need to get moving again before you've stopped, just pick the appropriate gear. May have to rev it a bit to match and get it in, but I promise it's not hard. You can preemptively move the high and low range switch up and down in anticipation of your next shift, it doesn't actually change which range until you take it out of your current gear.

If you can think about what gear is good for a given speed, and pay attention to what is happening in front of you, you can drive a truck
>>
>>17176589
I learned stick on a 5 ton in traffic, scary at first, super easy after a few mins. until you get the hang of downshifting just push the clutch down or put it neutral for the stops.
>>
>>17176706
Just let the auto do its job. Meh.
>>
Its easy i learned in like 2 weeks pro tip never downshift unless you're climbing a hill and it starts bogging down always just pop it to neutral to slow down
>>
>>17176589
New Volvos have DCTs anyways
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.