[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chainsaw sizing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: m-ms381-l001.png (202KB, 650x459px) Image search: [Google]
m-ms381-l001.png
202KB, 650x459px
Good day all. I am looking to buy a chainsaw for some land we are going to be cleaning up. I have never used a saw myself but my intention is to purchase one for the business and hire an experienced feller. I know I can ask the guy with experience what would be a good sized but I know the man is going to say I need something the size of an MS720 which is a hell of a lot of saw and pretty pricey in my country. Also the "professionals" in this country will amaze you with how little they know.

It is going to be primarily 40-50ft coconut trees and a lot of sea almond. Sea almond is pretty soft but older coconut trees can be a bitch to hack through even with a sharp cutlass and a skilled user. It's all open field/jungle so we can fell everything from the ground. I am thinking of getting a second hand pole pruner to supplement the saw for any trees that are to stay up but need cleaning.

I have been hearing good things about the MS440, which is available here and is Germany built, but the Brazilian built 381 has been catching my eye in size and prize.

Should I got with the 381 or grab the 440? The 440 won't break the bank but the difference in price affords oil and fuel for half the saw's job.

Also I can't go with Husqvarna as it doesn't exist here.
>>
Stihl. 18" bar is going to be pretty useful

I hope a coconut falls on your head while you clearcut the natural paradise you islandnigger
>>
>/o/ - work tools
>>
>>17173175

Ever thought of going used? Probably save you half of new...

You didn't mention anything about the diameter of the trees you're going to take down, so just get something with a 20" bar...

If you've never used a chainsaw before, I highly recommend you just just hire a clearing company to do the work...it'll cost more, but you'll live long enough to complain about the costs...
>>
>>17173212
That is some serious cuck talk m8

Any red blooded male most certainly should gain experience in clearing land and felling trees. Even if they live on Gilligan's island.
>>
you may want to ask on /diy
my feeling has always been you want a bar a few inches longer than the thickest thing you will ever cut and you want that bar to NOT be the longest available for that engine.

The engine is the brain, the bar is the mouth. if your mouth is bigger than your brain you will get yourself in trouble.
>>
>>17173212
Not OP, but I've used a chainsaw a few times and felled a couple trees.

You'd have to try pretty fucking hard to hurt yourself with a chainsaw. With common sense it's pretty easy.
>>
Hire the guy and have him tell you what he wants or he may have his own. I used to be a logger and had 3 of my own chainsaws in my car for every job. Stihl all the way.
>>
This should have been in /diy/. Not sure how I mixed this up.

I reposted it there.
>>
>>17173309
>you'd have to try really fucking hard
no you wouldnt, all it takes is for the chain to catch on something and you'll hands will have an extremely bad time
>>
>>17173534
well this is why you dont try to chain saw engine blocks or heavy chains together. Also your hands are pretty protected, that isn't what usually gets hit by a kick back or snapped chain. Stop posting about shit you don't know anything about.
If you pay attention to where the bar is, you will be fine. Keep your head and much of your body out of the line of the bar.

I live out in the country, have a chainsaw, have used it a good bit including felling trees, cleaning up after hurricanes etc. Never had a issue and once hit a brick inside a tree.
>>
>>17173175
According to a book I read on cutting your own wood for fuel, you don't need a full-length logging bar. Most loggers don't need one.
Stihl, Jonsered, or Hysqvarna.
Don't chop your leg off like a moron.
Watch out where you're felling the fucking tree.
>>
>>17173309

I've seen some accidents where the saw snapped up and the chain got run into face...which was 4chan awesome, but also my father in law...

Bled like a mother fucker getting their head sawed off...
>>
File: 100_4227.jpg (198KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
100_4227.jpg
198KB, 800x600px
>>17173175
Renault Twingo
>>
>>17173911
quality post
>>
>>17173309
it's usually the falling trees that wreck the professionals, not malfunctioning equipment
>all it takes is a shallow facecut
>or some unseen twisted grain
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.