[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Automotive entertainment. I know there is a flood of these on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Cars - 1305514921254.jpg (467KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
Cars - 1305514921254.jpg
467KB, 1280x800px
Automotive entertainment.

I know there is a flood of these on youtube and shit and more than 90% of them suck ass.

Here's the thing. A friend of mine contacted me out of the blue saying he needs a cinematographer. I'm an award winning guy and we used to do stupid shit years ago so he wanted me to be "his guy."

He is a professional mechanic and wants to make a show that challenges a variety of things. World records, street events, attend rally's, etc.

As a car enthusiast, I'm totally on board.

Here's the catch. I've just lost my job after a company removed my position and eliminated a lot of people along with me. I have a bit of a savings to work from, but I'm not making any money right now and if I were to shoot his show, I'd have to invest about $10k into it for cameras and accessories to film it the way we want to do it. I have that, but my concern is the return on investment.

He wants a youtube channel. I want him to think bigger and make a website. So he says, fine, I can do all that. Problem is this. I know a lot of people make money online through their own entertainment sites, but I don't know how. I've helped hundreds of people do it but I've never been able to myself. Lets say we have 12 episodes a season, and 2-3 seasons a year. Each year that's 24-36 episodes.

I have no doubt in my mind the show would be "awesome" and properly entertaining. My concern is if it is worth a good paycheck? I was making about $4000 a month working full time. I'd like the site to make about $12k a month minimum so each of us have a good paycheck and we can return some money for future episodes.

He will be funding all the first season episodes himself. After that, he won't have money for season 2.

Is this doable? Will I be able to find sponsors and national ads to pay for the show? How do I make money off of this? I know it is possible. Top Gear did it. /Drive does it, and so many other youtube sites do it. How can I?
>>
>>17165015
>He will be funding all the first season episodes himself.
So, why are you paying for the cameras? Make him buy or rent them. Unless you or him have an established audience/fanbase you're probably not going to make shit. If you do, you're still probably not going to make shit.
>>
If it's some half baked "vlog" dude bro channel then no one except for normal fags want to see it

>is this doable
Yes but it won't be fun and you're taking a huge gamble

>Will I be able to find sponsors and national ads to pay for the show?
Probably whatever youtube will give you until you can actually get any serious attention from the automotive world

>How do I make money off of this?
You probably won't. Welcome to being an artist

>Top Gear did it
Top Gear was a radio show, that was a TV show later on. That was funded by the BBC and was a cultural phenomenon before Clarkson, Hammond and James were there.

The Grand Tour could have been a flop but they were banking on the fact that it had those three men.
>>
>>17165039
He is paying for the car related stuff. I'll handle the camera equipment.

>>17165047
So what is the process then to get audience then advertising money/sponsorships? Is it as simple as saying "We get XX,XXX views per video and would like some support." ??? How do I price out what to get? How do I say this month's advertising costs $5000? Or this video advert is $1000 a week, etc?
>>
>>17165173
You could try getting involved with carthrottle, drivetribe, jalopnik and whatever that other site is called. They always seem quite hungry for content and if they co-operate then you will be flooded with good publicity which is essential to get a project like this off of the ground.
>>
>>17167339
This is good advice. Start smaller under someone else's umbrella to get a bit of fan base going, and to test content. You'll know pretty fast if you're actually making "awesome" content, or if you're just another couple of asshats with GoPros.

If you do well, you either start your own thing or get a deal going with the big channels.
>>
>>17165015
can you post some bits of your work OP? I'm also a cinematographer, but without the awards, just starting out.
I'm also curious what sort of cameras you shoot with and what lenses you had in mind for automotive type filming.
>>
>>17167376
>award winning cinematographer
aka bought/loaned a used RED/ARRI alexa mini/ blackmagic, and a few pairs of soviet anamophics and started to shoot abstract 'artsy' bullshit and loading them onto davinci resolve and copying preset color gradings.

son just work a few summers and get a sony A7rii and cheap sigma lenses. if your good, you'll get there.
>>
>>17167396
I got a gh4 at the moment, built myself a PC for editing and got a tascam 44wl for sound, a shoulder rig and a glidecam. All this in less then a year.

Currently saving up for a speedbooster and a sigma 18-35 as a good all around until I make more money.

Have you ever worked with a Ursa Mini by any chance? Is the FPN that bad on it as most plebs make it out to be?
>/o/ related
what car do you drive lel
>>
its going to take years before you earn good money.
>>
>>17167405
stick with your gh4, unless your doing corporate no one cares that you don't have an intimidating box of a body with cinema lenses. black magic from what i've heard are a mix and match, in low light a known problem is that the ursa produces lines of noise. plus if you go into an environment with enough cinematographer faggots they'll laugh at your black magic.

stay low and buy a used RED from rich daddys film school graduate who decided to move into 'writing' or 'managing roles'.
>>
>>17167424
sheeeiiiiit, aight anon
good luck with your thing btw, but maybe get a source of income before plunging head first into your friend's thing with no assurance that it's gonna make any money.
>>
>>17167438
i'm not anon, his idea is fucking retarded. you don't go into something 'creative' with a structure and a beginning goal of actually making money. unless OP has some good connections from his friends back at his union job in L.A especially if he decides to start an independent website with no fucking view base to start off with.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.