[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Subaru Engines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 5

Why does Subaru keep making Boxer engines?

Is it just a case of 'why stop now' or is there something about the way they make cars that dictates the need for flat-4/6 engines?
>>
Because "MUH ENHANCED SOUND"
>>
>>17164365
Smoother power, lower COG, shorter engine makes for better placement, blah blah blah, typical stuff, I actually like boxer engines.
>>17164377
>T. someone who doesn't know how the sound is made.
Sound comes from the UELs you dumbass.
>>
>>17164393
Lower COG is kind of a meme after the headers are put on.
>>
>>17164365
>What is redesigning from the ground up
>What are tooling costs

Do a little research and fix your logic before posting stupid fucking questions.
>>
File: output3.svg.png (485KB, 1052x731px) Image search: [Google]
output3.svg.png
485KB, 1052x731px
>>17164365
"muh symmetrical awd" is the main reason, if you haven't driven a subaru you definitely should just to "get it", even the blandest shitbox they sell will stay flat in the curves with a tiny sway bar and comfy struts. the reason is a standard engine really does fuck up the handling of the frontend due to weight and placement, by using a flat4 you eliminate the need for any performance parts(tiny sway bar, soft ride etc) because you're only dealing with a fraction of the dynamic forces, static forces like torque steer also don't happen unlike on 99% of FWD vehicles.
>>
>>17164578

>Full of shit
>This post

Pick two

t. Forester s/tb owner
>>
>>17164598
how am i full of shit? have you even looked under your car? completely trash suspension system yet i bet you've never been in trouble in a corner.

t. gen 4 Legacy owner
>>
>>17164365
>Why does Subaru keep making Boxer engines?
because they work

why does honda keep making i4 engines? because they work too
>>
Boxers are just superior in every way, except trying to work on them.

trying to work on a boxer is a fucking nightmare. Might as well just drop the engine and transmission every time you need to work on it.
>>
>>17164468
I'd like to redesign your face from the ground up.
>>
H 6 is the best
>>
>>17164365
The boxer engine makes sense in certain applications like their performance line WRX. The boxer design allows them to fit their unique drivetrain and arguably has some handling advantages due to the bulk of the vehicle weight being so low to the ground. It makes sense honestly if you look at the WRX. You wonder how a top-heavy looking sedan piece of shit like that could possibly handle good. Well, it's because the engine and the drivetrain are sitting on the floor.

The only example I can think of where this doesn't make sense is the BRZ. It doesn't have their signature drivetrain so what the fuck is the point?
>>
>>17164963
Ask toyota :^)
>>
>>17164365
cuz its "their thing"

every mfg has their niche and subaru is always about symmetrical this, symmetrical that

i wish they'd put a flat 6 in the frs tho
charge ~40k for it and i think ppl would still buy it
>>
File: poobaru.jpg (187KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
poobaru.jpg
187KB, 1600x900px
>>17164963
> low to the ground
wew lad

Hardly any fuckin difference really. Heads aren't made of cast iron anymore breh
>>
>>17164435
The plastic manifolds weigh fuck all.
>>
>>17164365
It's their gimmick. If they abandon the boxer engine and symmetrical AWD, they'll just be a more expensive Toyota and they'll slowly phase out
>>
>>17164365
I drove a wrx and the boxer isn't as smooth as they say it is.
>>
>>17164900
You'd almost seem faintly intimidating if you weren't a guy who enjoys getting his anus redesigned from the ground up
>>
>>17166589
You sure it was the car or you can't drive stick?
>>
>>17166601
Ohhh, you hinting at something pumpkin? Show me what a man you are in the back seat of your Subaru. I'll even try to make Boxer engine sounds if you want.
>>
>>17165404
But it is an objectively lower centre of gravity.

It also means they can package the engine longitudinally and get good weight distribution L/R and F/R.

The centre of gravity of an impreza effectively acts through the crankshaft it's extremely balanced L/R.
>>
>>17164365

There is really no downsides to a boxer engine. So why not keep making them?
>>
>>17164377

The sound is a consequence of the exhaust piping and not the engine.
>>
>>17166794
If someone puts a larger exhaust on a boxer, it will sound more enhanced from the same type of exhaust on an i4
>>
>>17166803
You mean to say that a fartcan on any engine configuration with the stock headers will exaggerate the sound? Weird.

Boxers with equal length headers sound almost identical to an ordinary I4.
>>
>>17166813
They don't sound identical to any ordinary I4.

That's like saying a V6 will sound like an I6
>>
>>17166820
A WRX with aftermarket equal length headers sound a shitload different, is what I was trying to convey.
>>
File: file.jpg (19KB, 460x345px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
19KB, 460x345px
>>17166803
>>17166813
>>17166820
>>
>>17166834
>>17166829
Ok but if you've actually driven a subaru with equal length manifolds you know a flat 4 with EL's doesn't sound like an I4 with EL manifolds
>>
pros
>lower center of gravity
cons
>heavier
>harder to work on
still dont know why toyota decided to put such a joke engine layout in the gt86
>>
>>17166863
>Heavier

Only when compared to inlines
>>
>>17166601
Kek
>>
>>17166863
>why did they put an engine with a lower center of gravity in a car that's meant to handle well?
>>
>>17164677
Also a 4th gen legacy owner, the suspension is not as bad as you make it sound. MacPherson strut in front, multi-link in the rear. I think the car handles quite competently.
>>
>>17164963
>The only example I can think of where this doesn't make sense is the BRZ.

This right here. The Toyobaru isn't AWD, so the boxer engine is kind of a poor fit for it. They should've used a V6 like the Corollas and Camrys do, especially considering how the V6 vers are a lot faster than they look.
>>
>>17165404
Second lowest center of gravity of any current production car.
>>
File: 1453739289197.gif (30KB, 914x1091px) Image search: [Google]
1453739289197.gif
30KB, 914x1091px
>>17167224
I have no real complaints besides the body roll, but that's mostly due to it being a fairly heavy car. Still, it's night and day compared to the last car I sent off a ditch
>rear leaf springs
>front torsion rods
>blown shocks all round
>>
>>17167275
>leaf springs
On a car? made in the last 60 years?
>>
>>17167310
*commercial van
tfw getting hetik at 2,200kg
>>
>>17167252
What's the first? 911?
>>
>>17167530
Probably a Tesla, with all the batteries weighing down the floor.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.