[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Questions that don't deserve their own thread / QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 49

I'll start with should I get this as first car?
>>
ca faqe eshte kjo?
>>
>>17142559
merrjep e ke te filename
>>
>>17142464
Mazda 3: The official car of My Mom and Dad bought me a safe car thats Japanese because im a 16 year old girl and I suck ass at driving.
>>
>>17142608
>suck ass at driving
that would be an automatic this is manual
>>
>>17142608
not really more like the
>Need a cheap 4cyl hatch/sedan to move myself and not much else
>wanted jap but corolla and civic were too bland and had no style
>>
File: 1433008116194.jpg (388KB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1433008116194.jpg
388KB, 3264x2448px
what the chirst language is that

also the mazda 3 is breddy gud
>>
If you have bigger rims, would you have less tire wear since it uses more tire?
>>
>>17142630
its Albanian i think u can tell what most of those mean though
>>
>>17142464
R U S T
U
S
T
>>
>>17142733
t-this is just a meme r-right
>>
Without any details on the driver, do you think it would be cheaper to insure a 2009 WRX sedan or a 2013 FR-S?

Probably the FR-S right?
>>
>>17142770
not for model years before 2008

2008-2009 is when mazda changed the steel they used but I don't have a source on this, my dealer may have just been bullshitting when I was buying a 2009 (it still had rust underneath because salt, but that's every car).

i dont really 'love' my car because of rust so I'll definitely buy a brand new one in a few years.
>>
>>17142464
No. It's got the eurocuck engine. Just get a twingo.
>>
>>17142819
probably the WRX because AWD sedan if you're in a snow area

also depends on how many people drive either car. Corollas and Civics have the highest insurance in my area over sportier cars.
>>
>>17142464
They handle really well. They rust just as well if your in a salty ball state.
>>
>>17142845
>meme reply
is the twingo meme funny enough to make you waste time of your life write it
>>
>>17142867
i live in albania idk if its one of the states u speak of
>>
>>17142869
It's not a joke. It's a good car for 500 bucks.
>>
>>17142464
What car is this?
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRsGNslhxOK/
>>
File: 1461027252607.jpg (144KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1461027252607.jpg
144KB, 572x303px
My car is a shitty 01 Buick Century and I have to stand on the pedal to even accelerate to like 40. One time I saw this video of a guy knocking on an engine's fuel injectors to supposedly "clear the blockage." I was about to just buy new injectors but if /o/ can attest to such a method then I'll do that instead.
>>
>>17143875
Does it "lug" like the engine is misfiring to get up to speed? Or does it feel like you have a tiny engine in a car that just weighs too much? I'd do a full maintenance tune up. Cars lose power over time due to use or misuse. Valve adjustment, new spark plugs, oil change, timing chain/belt replacement, clean the maf, clean the throttle body out, replace the air filter. I'm certain you'll only see a difference with the timing or valve adjustment, but all the little other things add up you know?
>>
We have 2 Škodas at home. One is '98 Felicia 1.4 50kW and the other is '00 Fabia 1.4 50kW.
There's been an issue with the Fabia for as long as I can remember in that it accelerates like shit (I know it's only 50kW but the older Felicia is much better).
The gas pedal feels like it has 90% effect in first 20% travel and after that it does nothing.
It's really difficult to get up the small incline from our garage to the main road because the car almost stalls unless you rev the shit out of it and burn the clutch.
Could this be mechanical or do you think it's got to do with the ECU (when the car was still in warranty the whole electrical system was replaced by the dealer due to a massive failure)?
>>
>>17142464
why not.
it's a ferd btw.
>>
>>17144719
Most of what I said here >>17144627 applies to you as well. Fix the car first then look into the ecu. You might also need a new throttle cable if it's that useless after moving the pedal 20%. Get a multimeter and start testing the electrical systems on the car to see if the voltage is where it should be. Alternator, idle control valve etc.
>>
Should I buy an RX-8? Memes aside, does anyone have any actual experience with one. It wouldn't be a daily just a fun weekend car
>>
File: 1493709854184.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1493709854184.gif
2MB, 640x360px
I found a very cheap car and I need some advice on whether or not it seems like a decent buy.

Thank you for your time.

>>17145037
>>
>>17145048
I only needed to read
>1987
>ultra poorfag

Don't buy, you will drown in repair costs. That car looks literally like a heap. 350$ may seem cheap to buy and it might run for a week, but I suspect something like that is just priced to make someone else pick it up and get rid of it. Most cars sell for 500$ scrap value. Bring your budget up to 2k and get something reliable from late 90's or early 2000's. Like a simple civic.
>>
I have a 08 Chevy Silverado
Yeah ha ha ha make fun of me for being retarded

I drive my truck and it runs fine. During the winter, or anytime the weather is cool my engine guage will stop working and my truck will register that the engine is heating up and won't allow the A/C to come on. When it first happened I pulled over and missed all my classes that day because I kept looking for the problem worried as shit about my truck so I got towed home. Start my truck up the next day to see if I could move it to a shop and as soon as I turn it on the truck told me it turned off the A/C because the engine was hot and again the guage was not working, as in it rest all the way to the left. I then realized something was fucky.
I took a risk, said fuck it and drove it. I ran it hard and nothing happened, checked the engine and it was fine.
Fast forward to the following summer, I'm driving down the freeway when out of fucking nowhere my A/C starts blasting cold ass air and the guage starts reading again.
This has happened two years in a row now, does anyone know what it could be? I changed the temperature sensor on the engine and that didn't help. My next guess is faulty cables or bad connections. Has anyone heard of something like this happening before?
>>
>>17145101
Have you tried replacing your thermostat? So what it seems like you're saying is that in cool weather, the truck thinks it's overheating and disables the a/c? What do you mean your gauge stopped working? like it sits at the bottom or just never moves ever anymore? How have you lived with this for two years and never fixed it? Check the voltage to the temp sensor, look up online and it should have a voltage reading that you can compare to the water temp reading on your code scanner. Check all the fuses and relays related to the a/c compressor.

just read this on a gmc forum:
>If your thermostat is bad, the engine will never warm up, and that can make it look like the gage is bad

So i'd check the thermostat first.
>>
>>17145138
>Have you tried replacing your thermostat?
I have not but will definitely do this
>So what it seems like you're saying is that in cool weather, the truck thinks it's overheating and disables the a/c?
Yeah, it says the engine is getting hot and that it has disabled the A/C
>What do you mean your gauge stopped working? like it sits at the bottom or just never moves ever anymore?
Yup that's exactly what happens, everything turns on but the guage rest like if it the truck wasn't even on
>How have you lived with this for two years and never fixed it?
The broke ass student life, friend. I know it's irresponsible but after I realized it wasn't affecting performance besides my A/C being disabled during the winter I said "fuck it". I came up on some money and want to fix it now.
>just read this on a gmc forum:
>If your thermostat is bad, the engine will never warm up, and that can make it look like the gage is bad So i'd check the thermostat first.
Your googlefu is obviously better than mime as I tried looking it up first and found jackshit. Thanks for the friend, I'll try this tomorrow.
>>
>>17143083
I wouldn't want my eyes to look at any of the cancer posted on instacuck but all you had to do is read the status it said it right there. You owe me 5 trillion internet points but is a mazda cosmo fgt
>>
>>17145180
Just another backup to my theory of the thermostat:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5vbWYbcecg

Literally your exact problem in a video.
>>
>>17143875
> gutless 3.1 or 3.4l

May be working as intended unless you've seen it any better. I had a 98 cutlass with the 3.1 and it was gutless as hell
>>
>>17145241
Holy shit dude
I get those lights on the A/C control too! Fucking thanks man! Didn't think it was relevant but this is literally what happens to me.
May your car(s) run silky smooth eternal
>>
https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/6117115871.html
As a second car for fun. Yes ?
>>
>>17145356
idk senpai, that picture of the trunk and the fucked up bottom of the front bumper makes me question what kind of life the car had. The new top is nice, you'd have to check the car out yourself and maybe run a carfax.
>>
>>17145435
Yea...seems sketch. Oh well. >>17145435
>>
File: 1473305406653.jpg (174KB, 724x748px) Image search: [Google]
1473305406653.jpg
174KB, 724x748px
Can you transfer auto policies across vehicles? Paid the whole 6 months in advance, and then it got hit while parked not even 2 weeks later. Their insurance wrote it off as a total loss, and gave me a decent bit more if i didnt keep the car. Going from a 92 firebird to an 07 fit, and somehow its over double what the FB's policy was, and i dont see anything saying what i paid will transfer. Im not paying another 1.7k on top of the 600 i already paid for the first policy. Called the company but they wont do anything without the vin, and i dont have that on me atm
>>
>>17146032
You will receive a check in the mail for the prorated amount of what was left in premium.

T. I write software for the insurance industry
>>
/a/non here. I have a question about car maintenance. Hope you br/o/s can help out.
I'm getting conflicting word on how often I should have my car maintained. I only bring it into the shop if I notice or think something is wrong.
Do I have to get the car checked out on a seasonal basis, yearly, at a certain mileage, or just keep up what I do and bring it in if I think there's an issue?
I'm buying a newer used car soon but want to take better care of it than my shitbox right now.
>>
>>17143875
Get a cheap OBD reader and check what your fuel trims are at. also just install a new fuel & air filter and see if that helps.

Knocking on the injectors can only fix blockages after the injector's filter. And if you got a blockage after the filter just clean the injectors or just get refurbished ones.

>>17146032
Yeah like the software guy said they should cancel the policy and prorate the premium. Just call them up and request it.
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-04-20-18-30-19.png (686KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-04-20-18-30-19.png
686KB, 540x960px
Im taking my 2002 rwd Ranger to the mechanic tommorow because of a vibration im getting at around 80km/hr (approx 50mph)
The droning is felt in my shift stick for the most part... it particularily bad when coasting in neutral, but after around 100km/hr is settles down

Balance?
Ujoints?
Allignment?7
>>
File: 1apVF81.jpg (195KB, 952x1240px) Image search: [Google]
1apVF81.jpg
195KB, 952x1240px
My girlfriend is coming from overseas and will have difficulty getting a proper job.

Thoughts on buying a car for her to be an uber driver?
Should she try to do Uber Black rather than UberX if the overall idea is good?
>>
>>17146334
Regular maintenance, like an oil change should be done on a mileage basis (5000mi for most cars).

Spark plugs, accessory belts, tires, trans or coolant changes should be done around 60,000 mi. Some people will argue with me on these number, but they're just a rough ballpark.

Long term maintenance is like your timing belt/chain, valve adjustment, flushes etc. Those only need to be done once every 100,000mi.

Like most of us, except the under the hood autists, only start working on a car when we percieve a part failure or obviously something has gone wrong (randomly overheating, clunking coming from suspension, ticking noise from the valves etc). You sound like a decent owner, at least you don't run a broken car for an extended period of time. Just keep doing what you're doing, maybe learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself.
>>
Should I get an evo as my first car
>>
>>17146565
>You sound like a decent owner
I try. I check the oil every now-and-then and change it at around 6000mi. I've had battery/alternator issues a few months back and the workers were nice enough to check my trans as well, so I'm not worrying about those right now.
>Spark plugs
I keep forgetting about these things.

Otherwise, I take relatively good care of the car. It's a 2004 Ford Focus. Thankfully not the wagon/hatchback. I'm surprised it's still alive for a Ford but it's getting old now, so I'm not as fast to fix issues. Hoping to be a lot more car-smart with the newer car soon though. I'll keep on doing what I'm doing and improve on some things. Thanks for the help.
>>
>>17142464
2000-2005 Buick LeSabre.
>>
File: 1492922978603.jpg (449KB, 1478x1108px) Image search: [Google]
1492922978603.jpg
449KB, 1478x1108px
Where's the best place to get project cars? Craigslist? I would think a junk yard, but I'd assume most of the cars there have a salvage/no title or you aren't allowed to buy a car from there.
>>
How do you find a cheap cargo van in the US that isn't 5 mpg 200,000+ miles and rusty
>>
How likely am I to shit out my transmission by changing its oil? It's got 130k and I'm not sure if the person I bought it from ever did it. Also why the fuck does no one ever pay attention to this if it's the second most important part of the car behind the engine
>>
>>17144980
Thanks man. The car is due for chain pulley and water pump replacement anyway so I'll wait until after that's done.

Unfortunately today another issue came to be. A 2 month old battery died all of a sudden. When I recharged it for 2 hours it was back to full and I tested if the alternator worked. The battery itself was at 12.3V and when alternator kicked in it charged at 14.6V (seems normal to me).
Where do I check the voltages? Fuse box, steering column,...?
>>
How much are Nardi steering wheels generally?
>>
2006/7 xr4 or 2006-10 suzuki swift sport?
>>
>>17148114
I got a used one off of eBay for like $130

new they can get up to $300ish

Personal is cheaper, Nardi's "budget" brand. And still pretty damn good
>>
>>17142610
Everybody learns manual in Europe (picture's prices are in €).
You have to be a real sperg and go out of your way and ask for passing an automatic only (in the sense that you're not allowed to drive a manual) driver's license.
Most driving schools might not even have the cars with an automatic transmission to provide you with.
>>
What's the proper order to detail a car?
>>
>>17148421
Top down, windows to floors
>>
File: vwrabbitpickup.jpg (13KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
vwrabbitpickup.jpg
13KB, 278x181px
am I stupid for wanting to get one of these?
would one be a decent dd? are they reliable enough to take on 8 hours cross state drives a few times are year without breaking down?
>>
>>17148573
https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/6117758818.html

same guy, does this seem good?
>>
>>17148573
how the fuck has that not rusted out completely
>>17148590
yeah, preludes are underrated, and finding a clean 4th gen manual is rare
>>
Whats the best place to look for a cheap, but still decent floor jack, preferably used. I have the money to buy a brand new one, but I don't want to. What are some places like craiglist I could look at?
>>
>>17149002
Garage sales around town. Unless free shipping is offered don't order one online, they're heavy as hell. Personally I would just get a new one at harbor freight for $150
>>
Where to get your exterior mods in Europe, front spoilers etc?
Similar to mstyle.co.uk and schmiedmann.com.
>>
Should I order new wipers? They streak badly if it starts raining and it's been dry all day, but if I turn them on when it's been raining all day, they don't streak a bit.
>>
>>17149661
After some time and use the paint that's on the wiper washes off and a yellow warning triangle will appear. This signals that it's time to change
>>
File: 1492041872090.jpg (7KB, 261x163px) Image search: [Google]
1492041872090.jpg
7KB, 261x163px
Riddle me this...

How are brake pads pulled back from the surface of the rotor when you let off the brake pedal?
>>
>>17146463
I had something similar in my Corsa a while ago.

The main issue was the drive shaft was worn out and was knocking about. Ball joint was also fucked as well but mechanics replaced that first and it wasn't much better and still had vibrations in the stick. They did the shaft the next day and was perfect after that.
>>
>>17151431
Essentially this seal pulls it back a very, very short distance after you release the pedal.
Because of how the pressure and fluid in the brake system works the piston won't retract to back all the way in, meaning that you won't feel the pedal going soft through the duration of the pads lifespan, unless you start running low on fluid, get air in the system or when the pad is starting to get worn out
>>
>>17151479
Shit I always thought the force of the rotors moving shoved the pads away if nothing was applying force towards them.
>>
>>17149049
The 3 ton HF is $80 right now. I've had one for over five years and it still works great.
>>
>>17148048
The trans while important, isn't subject to the heat and vibration like the engine is. All the shafts are tightly held in place. Generally all you'll ever need to do to it is flush the trans every 100k mi or so. Trans fluid also don't really get hot enough to build oil deposits like an engine, you shouldn't hurt your car if you flush it.
>>
>>17142680
No, bigger rims don't necessarily make the outer circumference of your tire larger.
If the question is: do larger tires last longer, I would guess that they do.
>>
>>17146496
She will get proper rape
>>
>>17151493
The problem with a system like that would be that you'd get the pistons pushed back in unevenly, and thus they'd apply unevenly as you started to brake before they settled in.

You'd also see a lot more wear on the brakes and rotors if they had to be pushed back in, as that would mean having to push the piston, and thereby the fluid on both/all four calipers and thereby requiring a bit of force.

Also; as the seal prevents the piston from retracting back in you'd might even have the piston go aaaall the way back into the caliper, which basically means you'd have a brake pedal as soft as room-temperature butter, and little to no braking power
>>
>>17148061
I usually check the voltage at the part/sensor. If I'm not reading what I think I should be reading I start moving backwards (follow the red wire) until I find where the voltage is fine. Say, if the leaving voltage of the part is out of spec, but the entry voltage reads 12v for instance, you can guess that the part is bad. Thats not to say something like a idle air control valve is fine electrically, but broken mechanically. Don't forget that something thats new doesn't mean that it can't come from the factory broken. But if it can hold a full charge and full voltage for any real period of time, or even if you just idle your car in the driveway for 15 min, the battery should stay the same. Also keep an eye on that alternator. Those two electrical parts should have constant voltage, not jumping around up and down.
>>
>>17144990
>fun weekend car
They aren't fun though anon. They're underpowered and have meh handling. They also break a lot. Get an S2K or an 86GT or a Miata.
>>
>>17146032
>1.7k insurance for a Fit

What the fuck. I have full coverage and comprehensive on four vehicles and a million dollar liabilty limit on each one for about $1500 a year.
>>
>>17149661
I would watch the weather and wait until the day before its supposed to rain, then go buy some. Where I live, socal, I made the mistake of waiting until early march to finally buy wipers and it's only rained once since then. Supposedly it's supposed to rain sunday and monday. But I really should have bought wipers at the start of the rainy season. I can live through streaky wipers once every few months until the next rainy season.
>>
so I was driving in a hurry, and both me and this one dude in a 00s accord tapped each other on an intersection. We both ran stop signs, but when i pointed to his stop sign, he forgot that I did so as well, and just flew out of there in panic.

Now what im confused is that despite the both of us tapping each others front, he actually got his bumper damaged, while my turn signal got slightly pushed inwards, with no actual damage to my car.

I stopped on the side, looked at the none existent damage, noticed he didn't stop as well and bailed. I think he left thinking my shitbox miata was worth alot more than he thought it was

if he decides to try shit, should I be worried? I could just prove that nothing ever happened, since my car is perfectly fine. I was honestly going to pay the guy for damages, but he left in such a hurry
>>
>>17142464
First car was a m3 2.5l, no regrets. Fun econobox.
>>
Questions:

NA8 Miata head gasket blew towards the front. Will this socket set allow me to open everything I need to? There are actually no detailed DIY guides for Miata head gaskets surprisingly.

https://www.harborfreight.com/64-pc-14-in-38-in-12-in-drive-sae-metric-socket-set-67995.html

I also plan on getting a couple torque wrenches to put everything back together. I'm opting for Harbor Freight so I can just replace whatever breaks.

Opinions?
>>
>>17151363
>>17151644

They're also 3 years old. I don't remember 2014 being wet and I know 2015 was fucking dry.
>>
>>17151509
Thanks anon, I think I will just change out half to be safe
>>
>>17153734
Now I'm sure there's some insurance guys in here, but I'd make a note with your insurance company, but don't admit fault. I'm not sure if it's safe to make a note with insurance without making a claim without having your bill go up. And if you really want to cover your ass, file a police report. Just so there's something on the books, the guy who calls in second will always look more suspicious.
>>
>>17153862
Looks like a decent set, you will possibly need a breaker bar to get the head bolts off. Maybe a 8-12" 3/8 socket extension. Radiator to timing belt to intake and valve cover to cams to the head bolts. If you have all the tools, It shouldn't take you more than a day or two. Don't forget to put that copper anti seize shit on your head bolts. Whoever does the next head job will thank you.
>>
>>17154693

Thank you. It's been tough trying to find answers for my situation. I made a big post in the Miata general >>17154665 and I'm hopeful for more advice. I plan on picking up tools tomorrow morning and pretty much working through the weekend trying to figure out what my next step should be.

I'm between getting the head off, sending it to be machined, and putting it back on with new gaskets, all the while risking having a non-working car on a city street. Or I could buy a refurbished head and drop it on the block with new gaskets and ideally have the car working just fine after a long Saturday's worth of work. Would be a little more expensive but it would be much easier than trying to clean the entire head assembly myself and probably cheaper than having a shop clean the possibly damaged one.

Any thoughts / opinions are appreciated.
>>
My car is Japanese and still has the Japanese radio that someone installed in it, so it doesn't go any higher than 90Hz

Is it possible to listen to another country's radio stations, like Japan's for example, instead of the stations in my country?
>>
>>17151556
Thanks for the answer. I'll start measuring the battery and alternator daily to see if there's any irregularities and I'll go through the engine bay tomorrow. I hope my hobby multimeter is good enough.
>>
>>17154763
>Is it possible to listen to another country's radio stations, like Japan's for example, instead of the stations in my country?

no..... at least not FM.
>>
Hey /o/, what's the most reliable 'prestige' car from 10 years ago, that hasn't aged like shit? Either big or small sedans. I'm learning towards an IS250.
>>
>>17154821
toyota avalon
>>
So, a few days ago I accidentally spun out after accelerating a little too fast over a patch of water on the road. The car went over the curb and landed on some grass.

Is there anything I should be worried about? Maybe it's just me and I'm being a little paranoid, but on the same day of the accident whenever I accelerated just a bit the car revved to 2-2.5k RPMs and I feel like it didn't go that high before. And also I feel slightly more vibration on the accelerator than I normally do. It's a very small amount, but it feels like it wasn't there before.
>>
>>17142680
There's more at play here than just contact patches. The answer to your question comes down to how you drive and treat your tires, not how much tire you have. Hope this helps.
>>
>>17142464
Why is my new car's manual transmission so whinny in 1st and 2nd gears?
>>
>>17154845
Plenty of things can end up bent or broken if you hit a curb with any speed. If you're asking this question then you should be getting someone who knows what they're doing to check your suspension and wheels.

Unlikely to have affected your accelerator since most are cable activated or electronic and it won't have been in harms way in a crash like that. Probably just in your head. Shaking in the pedal is also probably in your head but could also be caused by feedback through bent suspension components that are particularly noticeable through the pedal because they are moving parts mounted with a small amount of play and not solid steel.
>>
File: Renault-Clio-(2).jpg (36KB, 640x421px) Image search: [Google]
Renault-Clio-(2).jpg
36KB, 640x421px
Redpill me on the W211 E Class Facelift version.

Also, women's car general ? My gf has some money saved and wants to buy herself a car, she's a make-up artist that travels alot in the city, so it ought to be a petrol hatchback.
So far it's a battle between the Fiesta, the Clio, the Hyundai i30, Toyota Auris and Mazda 3
>>
>>17154678
no fault state, so insurance is out of the question. plus he never saw my license plate. I'm going to remove my way stickers, and sell my wheels just in case
>>
File: 20170506_130526.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170506_130526.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
What does the right sign mean?
>>
File: 1484094577750.png (77KB, 307x198px) Image search: [Google]
1484094577750.png
77KB, 307x198px
>>17155124
Tell her to buy a Twingo and shut the fuck up
>>
>>17155420
probably a tail-light failure. check the owners manual.
>>
>>17155124
Clio is awesome. Go for this shitbox
>>
File: celica.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
celica.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
opinions on toyota celica? as first car? pre 2000 or post 2000 models
>>
File: 1494002258935.jpg (1MB, 1536x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1494002258935.jpg
1MB, 1536x2560px
ive got an interesting problem with a 95 crown vic lx

>Previously owned by nog
>plug face of radio in and dashboard dims to darkest setting
>no speakers work in the car despite all tested and work
> radio tested and works
> no fuses blown

so my assumption is either the rear amp is busted or more likely radio is wired up wrong

>looks up wiring diagram and finds the one for the amp and speaker wires coming from amp but not for the back of the radio

pic related any ideas?
>>
File: b50091a.jpg (96KB, 750x878px) Image search: [Google]
b50091a.jpg
96KB, 750x878px
So lads a brand new 2017 370z is going for 32000 leaf bux. I'm so fucking tempted but it seems like a horrible decision. I have 8k in savings and was gonna buy something more practical but damn.

>in b4 Nissan scum
>>
>>17155659
Wait what, did they purposely put that birth control thing in his hand for the picture?

Because I'm pretty sure that thing goes in the arm, not anywhere near the womb.
>>
>>17155705
They go in the cervix, the entrance from the vaginal canal to the uterus.
>>
Should I buy a 5k used car or put 5k down on a new car?

Used car pros:
Free from jewish financing tricks
Vastly cheaper
new cars look like shit

New car pros:
Warranty
Nicer by default
No one else will have fucked with it before you
0 miles
will usually last a lot longer

I have decent credit and have owned 3 used cars in the past. I'm torn. Honestly I'm not even sure what car I want, I'm not that far into the decision making process yet. But if I get it new it won't be more than $25k.

wat do
>>
Is it terrible to spray water on a hot engine? I drove a few miles with no oil cap so there is oil spewed all over my engine bay, so I want to spray it off at a car wash, but I don't want to crack the engine block or something terrible
>>
>>17155475
get one if it's in good condition (neither riced nor raced, check under body for rust).
>>
File: trw.png (77KB, 700x360px) Image search: [Google]
trw.png
77KB, 700x360px
Anybody know anything about this brand? Should I put some of their OEM parts in my car?
>>
>>17155867
I've used TRW parts a long ago, everything was OK

few friends of mine are using TRW brake pads and stuff like that, so for no issues I'm aware of.
>>
>>17155806
I'd be more concerned about sprayed water getting in places it shouldn't.
In general, you shouldn't spray wash your engine unless you know where to avoid/block with tape/rag.
>>
>>17155909
most of the oil has seeped to the bottom of engine and engine bay, but there is some up on the underside of the hood to. I'll bring some plastic bags to throw over the alternator and battery at least
>>
>>17155705
>Goes in the arm

It's a "spiral" it goes up the vayjaj.
>>
Is $17.1k too much to spend on a car on a $1870 monthly gross income?
>>
File: nothing more.jpg (214KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nothing more.jpg
214KB, 1920x1080px
What are the differences between 6th and 7th generation of Honda Civic? Which one is better?
>>
>>17156167
No, I see poor fags get away with buying 30k+ cars all the time....

Hell, I only get like $800 a month on a shitty mcjob and still have an ecoboost mustang...
>>
>>17156186
>No, I see poor fags get away with buying 30k+ cars all the time....
yeah, i don't get how people do this

i suppose some people are fine living paycheck to paycheck.
>>
>>17145078
Lol 500 dollar scrap value

In my dreams
>>
>>17156197
It's easy, lie on credit apps or get shitty BHPH loans with 13% interest.

Not hard to get an auto loan these days.
>>
>>17156214
Maybe I should've lied somewhere on my app then.

I have a 735 fico but got denied without a cosigner because my credit is thin.
>>
>>17156197
>>17156186
>>17156167

1900 a month minus the cost of a 1 bedroom apartment (600), minus the monthly cost of a 17,000 loan for 60 months at 8% (450), minus a 60 middle of the road phone bill, minus 45 for decent internet, minus idk 120 for car insurance, leaves you with 745 a month for everything else including food and gas. That's 186 a week (4 week month) and if you can buy food, gas, vidya, whatever with a bit less than that per week you can still save money every month, but that is a tight fucking budget and assumes you can find an apartment that cheap and 17,000 is the LOAN, not the price of the car which with all the fees and taxes and shit would be a lot higher.

Figures pulled roughly from my own life. Thankfully I live with my dad right now and have no apartment payment because my car payment is fucking stupid, even higher than what I listed. Getting it refinanced next week though.

Moral of the story: you can do it but always try to find more money
>>
>>17156248
Shit, it's 625, not 745. Forgot to subtract insurance.

You'd probably be a lot more comfortable paying cash for a used car, anon. But you can make it work for sure. >>17156248
>>
>>17156248
my loan would be at 3.4%, i work at a bank and we have that interest rate for employees

my rent is 370 but for everything else you're on target. i figured after all bills are paid, food and gas etc included, i'd have about $645 left over. i also have $4.8k in the bank which Id put $2k down on the car.
>>
>>17156259
>You'd probably be a lot more comfortable paying cash for a used car, anon.
i did this for my 98 civic, guess i'm just wanting to have something different/actually nice for once.

I'd definitely be living above my means with that car, but i really don't splurge anywhere else currently.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (25KB, 650x317px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
25KB, 650x317px
>>17156263
You lucky son of a bitch. That's good interest, m8. And with rent that low you have a lot more breathing room. I think you can do it.
>>
>>17156272
yeah, i think i'd go with 72 months for the lower monthly rate. there's a penalty for paying off the loan early but for employees they just waive it (not that i intend on working at this bank for 6 years though).

there's literally no reason to not go 72 over 60 i don't think.
>>
>>17156278
You can do that too. Just make sure you love the car you buy because as soon as you drive it off the lot, you're upside down like a motherfucker. I'm still recovering from my mistakes and I'm just now after about 15 months in the black again. And that's only if I sell it to a private party, I can't trade it in for another few thousand bucks.

And I hate my car.
>>
>>17156289
did you buy new? the car i'm looking at is a 2015.
>>
>>17156292
No I bought a 2013, but it was a Jeep Wrangler, and they hold value really well. Better than any vehicle other than a Toyota Tacoma actually. Which is great, if you're selling one. It sucks if you're buying one. You may have seen 1 or 2 threads I started about it on /o/ whining about my situation, but thankfully it's almost over.
>>
File: image.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
1/2

This is the stereo that came with my car.
>>
>>17156298
i haven't seen those threads, what's your situation?
>>
>>17156292
>>17156298
Also I should add, I don't hate my Wrangler or the Jeep Wrangler, I actually love Jeeps, I just hate the decision I made to buy new. I payed for a Jeep I couldn't afford and it was a JK. I could have gotten a used TJ for half the price or less and it would have been a better investment for a better vehicle. I'm envious of every TJ I pass.

I got Jeep out of my system though, ready for a real car.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>17156321
2/2

Will this one be compatible with my car? Would I need any adapters or anything? Any tips for changing the stereo?
>>
>>17156324
ah, do you almost have it paid off?
>>
>>17156323
I let myself get fucked by a dealership. I rushed into buying a new Jeep when I had noooooo credit. I mean, 0 credit. Got a shockingly laughably bad interest rate that no sane person would ever sign and I signed it anyway because no one told me not to. My dad didn't even tell me not to, he encouraged it. So I've basically been leasing a Jeep for over a year, only I bought it. I'm paying an extraordinary monthly payment and the principal has barely come down. It's juuuust now crossing over from what I owe on it and what it's worth according to NADA. It's a tumor I need to excise as soon as possible and it's slowly becoming possible.

No one told me not to do it, but that's still 100% my fault. So now I tell /o/ not to do it unless they can get a real interest rate.
>>
>>17156337
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo not even close. I'm almost in the black again in terms of what I owe vs what it's worth. Mercifully Jeeps hold value so I'm catching up on that crossover point faster than I would with any other vehicle (except a Tacoma). Will be able to sell it this year and get *some* money back. Like, 1 or 2 thousand, maybe.
>>
File: SMART.png (53KB, 1130x429px) Image search: [Google]
SMART.png
53KB, 1130x429px
>>17156340
>>17156345
>>17156324

It could be worse though, I could be this person.
>>
>>17156340
>>17156345
not to be a dick, but did you not do any research beforehand?
>>
>>17156356
You're not being a dick don't worry. I really didn't. Trust me I still feel like a jackass. I learned a lesson in how persuadable and gullible I am and that's a truth about myself I've hard to learn to deal with.
>>
>>17156360
to be fair if my dad said yeah man go for it i'd probably do it too, he's so frugal with money that no matter i come to him with he's like nah, spend $3k on a shitty accord and drive that until it dies.
>>
>>17156367
I probably wouldn't have signed it if my dad hadn't persuaded me. I still let myself get persuaded so it's still my own fault but you trust your parents more than anyone and he's pretty shit with money as it turns out. So yeah, given your situation (if you're the same anon) you probably can get away with 17,000 (my jeep was 22 and the final loan was a little under 25). But, please be sure. It's seriously a commitment. The only reason I didn't end up getting this fucking Jeep towed away by a Repo truck is because I had a place to live with my dad for free. Actually I'm ready to get an apartment again but I can't afford it with this payment. ($597 a month).

Refinancing, detailing, buying an ad, and waiting for a buyer to pay me what it's worth so it can be their problem. I'm going to find a used shitbox I can pay cash for.
>>
>1996 Mazda MX-6 LS Coupe
https://topeka.craigslist.org/cto/6106714911.html

>1998 Ford Mustang Coupe
https://tulsa.craigslist.org/cto/6102879392.html

Thoughts on these two?
>>
>>17156396
The blue on the mustang looks good, but the rest of the car looks like shit

I'd personally go for the MX6, unless you are a benchracer and can't stand
>fwd
>>
>>17156386
Yeah, it's a big decision to make and one I'm not taking lightly.

It sounds like you got fucked pretty hard though, in my scenario the worst case is I have to move back in with my parents. My job isn't going anywhere.
>>
>>17156386
>>17156609
also yeah same anon.
>>
File: 20170506_110205-1.jpg (1MB, 2940x1701px) Image search: [Google]
20170506_110205-1.jpg
1MB, 2940x1701px
Should I cut up this cold air and make a short ram, or just buy a cheap Short Ram and keep the cold air?
>>
>>17151608
>They're underpowered
>suggests a gt86
>slower car
>>
Hi friends. I have a 2005 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4.8L V8 with about 315000 kilometers . My truck likes to overheat in rush hour traffic (stop and go with long periods of idling at red lights), not to the point of engine failire but will fluctuate up maybe 10 degrees and the fan will kick on and it will cool down. Am I worrying over nothing? It also has a mystery leak (cracked cylinder head is a common issue) but I have not found any coolant in the oil, nor is any coolant coming through the exhaust. I had the cylinders pressure checked and they all turned out perfect, along with the coolant system. The leak mysteriously vanishes as well. In the winter time (Winnipeg so it gets pretty nippy) I have to put a container of coolant in it once a month or so and now in the spring/summer im not losing anymore. Sorry for the rant. Any ideas are very welcome!
>>
File: muh_texas.jpg (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
muh_texas.jpg
2MB, 1600x1200px
Thoughts on financing a used truck? I'm thinking around ~15-20k. I own my own home and have around 3k on my credit cards. I just graduated college with no debt. I worry about getting that much debt but at least I know its secured.

Any tips or guides? I don't want to make a huge mistake
>>
>>17156907
I'd recommend a truck that holds value if you're financing it. Tacoma's are crazy valuable, and really good trucks. Look into those, maybe.
>>
>>17142464
Can a broken e-brake cable cause a brake fault light to come on?
>>
>>17156907
>implying Texas hasn't became a liberal breeding ground
>>
>>17157106
I live in Austin, so yeah I'm aware
>>
Anyone know if its possible to fit a Ford 7.3L diesel motor in the engine bay of a late 80s brinco?
>>
What happened to VINbro? Came back cause i'm in the market and haven't seen any VIN threads up.
>>
Is it true that a ball bearing turbo will fuck you up when the bearings go out?
>>
A few years ago an old friend in Finland fixed up a Talbot Horizon that he found in a lake. The alternator was fucked up, so he took one from a tractor, mounted it on the hood, and cut a hole to run the belt through. He has to take the belt off and undo a couple of wire nuts to pop the hood.
Is he a genius or retarded?
>>
What are the most miles I should look for in a used car? Even 100k seems like a lot but no one sells a car for any less than that.
>>
Need some input /o/. Me and a couple of friends are doing a top gear style car competition. The theme is a luxury car for less than 5k and we are going to dd them and see who end up the happiest. The 2 I'm looking at are a 2000 328i and a 2005 C 320. Both are around 100k miles, manual, and are mechanically sound. Any ideas for others I should be looking at?
>>
Can I get a v8 Japanese sports car or do I have to custom fab any car that I might think has potential? Ie, there's no "toyota mustang?"
>>
I have an '08 Mercedes where once of the wheel's valve stems got corroded and snapped off. Is it safe to use and drive until I get a replacement?

The sensor appears to still be in place, it' just the threaded part of the stem which snapped off.
>>
My car was totaled because a dumbass hit me and his insurance paid out 10k for my car.

What's a decent sedan I can get for around 10k. I'm looking used obviously and I'd prefer something only a few years old.
>>
>>17157879
Infinity g35, 3 series, S class
>>
>>17157678
Lexus LS 400 but if you want a manual one good luck finding one or you can try to find a turbo Supra manual tranny and slapping it on it.
>>
>>17142464
Got my license and car recently. Before passing my driving test, i was feeling pretty confident when driving and i was having a lot of fun. Ever since i got my car though, i seem to have developed a bit of a fright of driving, no clue why. I was thinking maybe if i went on a couple of long casual drives, it would go away. When would it be the best time in the day to do so?
>>
File: w203_fields.jpg (768KB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
w203_fields.jpg
768KB, 3840x2160px
>>17142464
just buy a w203 c220 cdi auto
>>
>>17157960
Turbo supra tranny, what is the name of that? As in, I've got an r154 in the supra I drive now, I assume I'd need a newer one?
>>
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/6106045300.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/6117324894.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/6118763503.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/6119448516.html
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/6106803339.html

What do you guys think? I need a car. What should I drop from consideration.
>>
>>17157999
I forgot to post a link for you to show you how much work you would have to do senpai my bad
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/build-threads/670479-project-aarp-casino-cruiser-ls400-5spd-drift-car-build.html
>>
>>17157939
Do not fall for the 7series/S class meme.
>>
>>17157767
Take it to the stealership for that. My tire shop put the wrong part in.
>>
>>17157767
Just keep in mind that a tire will lose 2-3 psi a month.
>>
>>17158037
I found an ls400 near me for 1k...might be cheaper to actually just snatch it up, rob the engine, and squeeze it into the supra I drive now... Lol
>>
File: 8739378_orig.jpg (172KB, 695x800px) Image search: [Google]
8739378_orig.jpg
172KB, 695x800px
So I had an idea for a diy summer project: bring the fun back into automatics. Consider the following:
>modern automatics have computer-controlled solenoids to engage gears/lock up clutch
>gears are engaged using clutch packs
>have a lock up clutch: a mechanism to bypass the torque converter when you rev the car

So my plan was to use an Arduino with:
>button enable/disable full control by the ECU
>flappy paddles to upshift/downshift
>foot switch to disengage all gears and throw the car in neutral when pressed to allow for heel-toe rev matching
>programming to allow for a smooth transition when switching between the ECU control and manual override.

Thoughts? (pic related: the transmission solenoid diagram for my shitbox)
>>
>>17158043
Why not the s class?
>>
>>17156907
Bump
>>
>>17158166
I have a 7 series with an entire drive line failure. I do own a C class now and love it. But they always over engineer their full size sedans. I would not get a 7/S with more than 75k miles on it.
>>
>>17158032
The only one I would even consider from that list is the rav4. The others look like they're ready for the scrap heap. I'd stay away from early 90's american cars. Judging, but not really, on your budget, you can't afford to have the car be breaking down on you.
>>
>>17158301
>when the richfag things he can argue
>>
>>17158301
Really? i thought the omni and escort could be decent the omni looked like a dream come true.
If you dont mind whats stuff in that price range on my craigslist that is usable?
>>
>>17142464
My dad's wanting to get himself a small, reliable work truck made within the past 12 years or so. He's had so many suburbans within the past 20 years, that he's tired of the size and gas mileage and wants to go smaller without loosing too much functionality.
We've looked around and see that Rangers don't seem to last, s10's a bit old, and I don't know much about the Colorado or the Dakota.
Anyone have any tips on small trucks like these here in the States that are reliable and not gonna spend as much time with the hood up as it will driving?
Any recommendations?
His budget is around $5k-6k, so that's where I'm looking in terms of price.
>>
>>17142836
>2008-2009 is when mazda changed the steel they used but I don't have a source on this, my dealer may have just been bullshitting when I was buying a 2009 (it still had rust underneath because salt, but that's every car).
Read that back to yourself and think about why a car salesman would tell you some shit like that
>>
>>17158301
https://miami.craigslist.org/brw/cto/6120402269.html

this good?
>>
>>17158577
I think it's great, but ask why a low mileage used-to-be luxury car be priced for 900$? Is the engine about to explode or is he trying to get rid of it asap? I was posted 2 hours ago. I'd call the guy up and ask for a test drive and a carfax. You might be on your own for the carfax though.
>>
>>17158516
Rangers are pretty reliable, don't know what you're talking about. I think the 4cyl's the most reliable out of the ranger engines.
>>
>>17158381
HAHAHAHA
>>
>>17156727
Bump
>>
>>17158664
and this? https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/cto/6116901059.html

Sorry about the spam but I'm just looking for something in that price range that wont die in a year
>>
File: Screenshot_2017-05-06-19-59-30.png (686KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-05-06-19-59-30.png
686KB, 1080x1920px
Check engine light comes on in my girlfriends 2005 jeep liberty 3.7 during long drives usually and these are the codes. Thoughts on what it could be?
>>
How do I get good at parking? Parallel park is easy, but I'm not satisfied with my parking in supermarket parking lots and such, I always have to correct myself.
>>
>>17159437
Don't be so self conscious of your parking. As long as you're not hitting anyone else's car who cares if you have to re park a little.
>>
>>17159402
O2 Sensors or Cat has shit the bed.
>>
>>17157182
It fit in the late model F150's did they not?

Then probably, they have identical engine bays.

Might have to customfab the transmission mounts/Drive shaft though.
>>
>>17156326
You didn't specify as to if the second stereo is after market or not.

Odds are you need a crossover kit and will need to do some soldering work.
>>
>>17155508
is that a legit crossover kit? or did said nig nog wire the shit straight?
>>
>>17155091
What car is it?
>>
File: mazda3 rust.jpg (733KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
mazda3 rust.jpg
733KB, 2592x1936px
>>17142621

This.

My first car was a 2006 Mazda3 GT sedan. 5 speed manual w/ 2.3L engine. Very fun car, handled like a go-kart with Michelin Pilot Exaltos on it. Not the most reliable (replaced AC compressor, front brakes, parking brake cable, and rear shock mounts inside of 2 years). Rust was also an issue, though mainly on the trunk lids of the sedans where the 3rd brake light was mounted. Hatch versions don't have this issue, though the bottoms of the doors always get chipped and rust.

>>17142733
>>17142770
>>17142836

Rusty little cars, partly due to the SHITTY organic paint they borrowed from those niggers at Ford. Basically it's 40% FoMoCo under the hood, but the engines are absolutely solid.

There's a reason Ford is still using an iteration of the MZR series - they're just good engines.
>>
>>17159616
do the newer mazdas still have the rust issues?
>>
>>17158698
that makes sense, 4 bangers are pretty rock solid when done right.
I think they were talking about the vulcan v6, don't know much about that engine though.
>>
I dont see /o/ at the top or bottom of the page anymore....
>>
>>17159031
http://www.carcomplaints.com/
use this as a gauge to see what you might be in for in repairs. I cant really diagnose a car through craigslist. Only to help you avoid certain buys. Maybe a decently maintained civic?
>>
>>17156727
>>17159007
Your water temperature actually fluctuates +/- 20-30 degrees. 10 degrees is no big deal. It could run a difference in 10 degrees on a cold day vs a hot day. As far as it sounds, your car is operating normally. Sometimes mysterious leaks are just a pinhole leak that seals itself from corrosion.
>>
>>17142464
My rear suspension is at normal height and has no rigidity and they swaybar ball joints just fall out.
>>
>>17145101
>>17145138
>>17145180
>>17145241
Not sure if you're still here anon but I replaced the thermostat on my truck today, ran it for a few miles and the code went away and my A/C turned on
Thanks friend, I mean it man
thanks a ton
>>
So I replaced my alternator about two months ago. The battery, brake, and ABS lights all came on the dash which meant it was bad, and my battery eventually died. However, last night my battery died while driving yet again, this time without the lights on the dash indicating the alternator shit itself. When I rev the truck hard I hear a loud whining from the engine, and a friend suggested that maybe the belt for the alternator is loose/slipping, does this sound about right?
>>
I'll be the first to admit I know jack shit about cars. My parents always say you shouldn't buy a second-hand car because you're "buying someone else's problems". Are they right? What should I be looking at when buying a second-hand car? What mileage is still okay?
>>
>>17161414
>Are they right?
Sometimes

>What should I be looking at when buying a second-hand car?
Depends on the car

>What mileage is still okay?
Depends on the car and maintenance

Not everyone sells their car because it's a rusting piece of shit falling apart at the seems, most of the time they just want a different car.
>>
>>17161422
Are there any cars that are considered 'realiable' for a budget price?
>>
>>17161432
Read the sticky.
>>
>>17142464
wheels are curbrashed from previous owner
i wouldnt mind new ones but the cost would be up to $1,000 for a full set. I cant justify this.
will spraying a black plastidip hide and cover the marks? four cans is $80
>>
So my seats have 2 positions, at a 120 degree angle or all the way forward against the steering wheel. It doesn't lock into place either way. Is there a way to fix this or will I need new seats? What about some nigger rigged way, like how a car I checked out on Craigslist had a carpet roll between the backseat and driver seat to keep it propped up
>>
File: Screenshot_20170507-093433.png (413KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170507-093433.png
413KB, 1440x2560px
400 dollarydoos, worth it even with highway damage?
>>
>>17161901
No. You'll be trying to get your money out of it within 6 months
>>
File: IMAG0196.jpg (4MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0196.jpg
4MB, 3000x4000px
Tried using my Bissell little green on this and two full tanks with hot water + cleaning solution barely made a dent. Looks like I'll need some bigger guns, any ideas on what to use? I was thinking I might be able to take it to a car wash and spray it off with the high pressure water since I don't have a pressure washer.

Or should I just toss it and get some new mats
>>
I'm looking into getting my first car. I plan on buying new, and I've narrowed it down to the Mazda 3 gt package (~$28k) and the vw golf GTI (~30k) The Mazda seems like it has more features, but the golf felt like more car to me. What do you guys think?
>>
Looking to get tools for my Ranger

Socket wrench, floor jack, jack stands... what else would be good to have on hand?
>>
>>17156298
>it was a Jeep Wrangler

I'm so sorry for your loss
>>
File: Capture.png (106KB, 191x222px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
106KB, 191x222px
>>17161901

Who's the qt
>>
>>17142464
What tire works the best in rain?
>>
Hey guys I made a mistake by buying a 2015 corolla how can I get rid of this car I could afford it I just realized I could have wasted my moniez on my other shit box with sik modz
>>
>>17160579
There are no civics
>>
Do cars look like garbage nowadays? Ever since aluminum completely replaced metal and aerodynamics were improved upon it seems the styles have gotten sleeker yet somewhat dull and uninspired.
>>
>>17162150
ehh, I think you could spend all day cleaning that with every number of cleaners from harbor fright and it still wont come out clean. You might be able to find new carpets at the dealer, aftermarket, or at worst, universal ones from autozone.
>>
is chipping a diesel engine a bad idea if you want it to last?
>>
how do I make wheels with zero offset fit my stock Mitsubishi Lancer?
>>
Renault III , anyone know what could be the issue?
>>
Can someone get me the link of the youtube video where some guy put his brakes on backwards. I cant seem to find it
>>
File: dopamine_hit.jpg (18KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
dopamine_hit.jpg
18KB, 800x600px
>>17161901
I'd pass, there could be up to 5k in damage there, not counting all the pre-existing conditions that it could have. Not worth IMO
>>
>>17163577
spacers
>>
>>17163685
Its French, remove the frog and it should work.
>>
>>17163577
Get wheels with the offset you need

Or get spacers and risk your shit getting fucked up
>>
>>17161510
There are places that will refinish, and grind out the rash from the wheels from 50- 100 a wheel.
>>
>>17161885
take the seat out, flip that bitch over and see why none of the click-clack thingies are locking in place. My guess something is worn down or out. Probably need new seats, either dealer or junkyard. I wouldn't bother with any racing or aftermarket seats. Nigger rigging it only puts yourself at risk for something you could eaisly replace or fix yourself. A carpet is not going to keep your seat in place if you crash.

>>17161510
Were they aftermarket rims? I've just recently learned that there are shops that will repair curb rash or bent rims. Probably for more than 80$ (you're insane if you buy spraypaint for 20$ a can, it should be like 5-7$ per can) and less than 1000$. some paint will cover it up no issue and I doubt anyone will be able to tell unless they got really close or you pointed it out.

>>17161386
I would like to quickly point out that because something is new, it doesn't mean it will last or work. Get a multi meter and star checking voltages at the battery, take the battery to a store and have them charge it fully and test it so you can rule the battery out. That being said, the alternator could have killed the battery so I'd start with testing the battery and checking the voltage on the alternator. You should be able to find online what voltages you should be reading for your specific car.

>>17160941
Glad to hear it m8. I feel a warm fuzzy feeling inside me.
>>
>>17163685
Really? you want someone to guess any number of trouble codes from a picture of just the dash light? Plug your obd2 scanner in and tell us or google the code. I can't guess for you mang.
>>
>>17164046
what are my risks? I'm looking at wheels on Craigslist and these are the only ones nearby that are a decent price. new ones are too expensive and others won't match my tires.
>>
There's a 1995 heap wrangler in my area for 1200 burgers that runs with a few issues

Think I could buy it and apply a memetax for the next buyer?
>>
What are the chances of me failing a NY inspection if my O2 sensor is either broken or just not working right?
>>
File: tpv.jpg (122KB, 640x428px) Image search: [Google]
tpv.jpg
122KB, 640x428px
We recently inherited my mother in laws 09 Mazda 3 hatchback with 57k miles on it. I'm thinking about trading it in for a Prius.

Thoughts?
>>
>>17162150
>just toss it and get some new mats
>>
when I stomp the gas pedal at idle, I can see and feel the entire car heave/twist towards the passenger side

do I have mounts/brackets/etc going bad or do all cars with large enough longitudinal mounted engines do that? i've only driven front drive shitboxes before this
>>
>>17164245
Risks include the tire rubbing or bending your fenders, hitting the suspension and damaging something there. Offset is important and the least thought about part of rims. You can always go down in offset through the addition of spacers, but it's impossible to go from say a +25 offset to a +50. Use this website to compare your stock specs to your new stuff:
https://www.rimsntires.com/specspro.jsp
it will tell you what's going to be fucked up or if you'll mostly be ok.
>>
>>17164862
Newtons third law mang. motor mounts can only do so much. You'll notice that big semi trucks also twist if the driver isn't experienced enough to smooth out the power transition. How much power does your car have?
>>
>>17164259
only if the issues are minor and has 4wd. if its 2wd, dont bother.
>>
>>17164971
wow thanks. I didn't know that. I know that if I got 0 offset they would hit my fender and not brake correctly? but no idea how to know.
>>
>>17165026
Fender rolling is a common thing for people trying to get a "flush" look. Most stock tire offsets range from +30-55. I will almost guarantee that if you run a 0 offset rim it will hit your fender. Offset can change based on your rim width. So it's always best to see how your new setup compares to stock. If you lower the car, change the camber all bets are off and you just have to see how it turns out and adjust it accordingly.
>>
Why do i get slightly better gas mileage in 5th than in 6th when cruising on the highway?

Dart 1.4t, if it matters
>>
Is it better to meet at the DMV to transfer title instead of the notary, if so why
>>
>>17165071
car has to work less in 5th than 6th. Not sure what speed you're at, but im sure that if you were going fast enough 6th might be better than 5th. That or the dart is so aerodynamically inefficient that you can really only go 65 mph max.
>>
>>17159589
its straight wired with terminal connectors
>>
File: 230498039803.png (10KB, 921x172px) Image search: [Google]
230498039803.png
10KB, 921x172px
>Upgrading the firmware of my head unit
>Bought it in Australia
>Firmware options are [Asia] or [Europe]
What do?
>>
>>17165791
What difference could it make?
>>
>>17162346
Phil man, you gotta let it go. She's moved on.
>>
File: 49392004_Ford_Focus_SVT_5-Door.jpg (22KB, 500x315px) Image search: [Google]
49392004_Ford_Focus_SVT_5-Door.jpg
22KB, 500x315px
Is there any disadvantage to a 5 door svt when compared to a 3 door?
>>
>>17165008
less than 200hp, which is what's throwing me for a loop
>>
File: Ultra_5in1_0.png (169KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Ultra_5in1_0.png
169KB, 500x500px
Is pic related a jew?
>>
>>17166721
If a motor mount was broken, the car would be violently vibrating and would smooth out as you when to higher rpms. Maybe have a look at your spings/struts?
>>
Okay so I've got a 1974 Celica with a 2TG in it. The car won't start properly and only push starts, and still splutters a little bit before running fine once heated up a little. Is this an issue with the carbs, the ignition system or both?
>>
>>17166708
You can sell Uber rides.
>>
Got my 99 528i a couple of years ago, fucking love it and haven't had too many issues with it. Only thing is that I had a leak from the filter housing that dirtied my engine. How should I go about cleaning it without fucking anything up?
>>
Sell me on the crown vic, /o/. I can cop one or more for cheap, and so far the pros are good
>v8
>big and comfy
>kinda cool looking
But the cons are hefty
>no manual?
>terrible mpg?
>probable slowboat?

What do?
>>
how do you clean the interior plastics of a car like the dash and stuff?
>>
>>17167203
>V8
Torquey but doesn't like making power or revving very well. Will run forever though.
>big and comfy
Bench seats give zero support and expect to kiss the window every time you take a corner at 40 or higher. The buckets are alright I guess.

>no manual?
Why the fuck would you want one? It isn't that type of car. You're not going to be boyracing a 4200 lb, 18-foot barge, the 4-speed slushbox is fine. Put it in D and cruise.
>terrible mpg?
They're pretty average. Not as efficient as a Civic but not as bad as an 80's Cadillac.
>probable slowboat?
Absolutely yes. Even the 3.27 gears from an Interceptor won't make it fast, just somewhat less slow (and you'll get worse mileage).

Look over any P71s with a fine tooth comb and check the idle time, roof holes, interior, etc. They're beat to shit by police departments compared to civilian Crown Vics and Grand Marquis, and then sold at auction on the cheap and beat to shit by people who buy them because cop car.
>>
Generally speaking, how much boost can I run with an FMU and stock injectors?
And if I decide to upgrade to preformance injectors, do I have to get a custom ECU or something?
>>
>>17167203
well ive got a 95 lx vic that i bought for 600 dollars so they are cheap and almost indestructible
>parts are everywhere

>v8
yup its an 8 with a 4.6
>big and comfy
the car is huge and you can never tell where the end of your back bumper is when backing up
i honestly don't find mine very comfortable but that is mostly due to the leather seats being destroyed and cheap seat covers.
>kinda cool looking
yea its cool but depending on the year the older ones like 1990 before have the more blocky nog look cause of all the chrome if you get a 91 to 97 model noone will know it is even a crown vic and if you get a 98 to 2011 everyone will think you're a cop
But the cons are hefty
>no manual?
im not even going to entertain this meme
>terrible mpg?
they aren't to bad mine gets 20.5 mpg according to the dash but thats with having an exhaust leak and needing a tune up
>probable slowboat?
it gets up to regular speeds pretty good but it is no racecar by any means. From experience it will outrun any ricer honda i've encountered.
>>
>service due: coolant
Is it recommended to change the cooling fluid yourself? How hard is it and what are common mistakes?

I have a 5y/o suzuki ecobox out of warranty, already did engine/ transmission oilchange myself. The service manual says I need "Suzuki green" coolant but I can't find anything online. The dealership wants 150€ for the job (14€ of which is for 4.5l of coolant). I feel like that's a bit of a ripoff.

Tl;dr:
How hard is changing cooling liquid and can I just take coolant of a different color?
>>
>>17155705
Different type of birth control. My ex gf had the one that goes in your arm, which is better IMO because it lasts like 4 years. Too bad she's a fucking whore and birth control can't save her from STDs.
>>
Posted in one of the recent qtddot threads about getting my money back after paying my insurance in full and then getting hit 2 weeks later. Called my insurance and we talked in circles, and was told they cant cancel the policy because i need it for the rental still. I dont want to cancel, i just want most of what i paid back, i dont even have the car anymore. They just charged me for having to add collision to my plan for the rental too. Never had to do this before, so what do i say to get all that back?
>>
>>17167696
Forgot to mention once i add another vehicle they will comp me for what i paid on the old car, but the car im wanting is quoted as being almost double what i paid for the old policy. Id rather have that money back so i can look at other companies that wont fuck me
>>
Am I right for thinking Blaupunkt stereos in the US are just licensing the name, and so aren't really to the quality there might be from Germany?
>>
>>17166841
How is that a disadvantage?
>>
>>17159616
Do the compressors have a chronic problem or was your issue out of the norm? I need a car with solid a/c and mazda 3 was on my list. But not if a/c has issues. FL summers suck with no a/c
>>
File: 1484254432076.jpg (46KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1484254432076.jpg
46KB, 720x405px
>>17167425
>cooling fluid
you mean antifreeze? the stuff in your radiator?
should be pretty easy, i think most vehicles have a drain plug near the bottom to drain the fluid. As for using other fluid it should be fine, every car manual tells you to use the manufacturers fluids, parts, etc
>150 for a fluid change that can be done by a half-blind person in under 10 mins
yeah thats only for idiots who dont know anything about their car and dont know how to google "*car name* change coolant". theyre called stealerships for a reason
>how hard and mistakes
shouldnt be too hard, the worst part would probably either be finding the plug or jacking the car up if need be. If your car doesnt have a plug you could probably pull the lowest hose that the fluid runs through off and let it drain that way.
Dont try to drain/change it if it hasnt been sitting for at least an hour, the fluid will still be hot and if you try to take the radiator cap off it could spray you with hot coolant. make sure to put the plug back in completely before refilling. obviously dont drive it without refilling. dont dump the coolant on the street, pretty sure thats illegal almost everywhere.
>>
Some brazillian friend of a friend is moving because he is going to harvard and has an 03 boxster s that he wants to trade for my 97 540i. Should I trade or am I stupid for considering this?
>>
What's just as reliable as a corolla without the rice tax
>>
The fans for my ac stopped working today. How do I fix it?
>>
Do new Nissans have any underlying issues to look out for? I'm kinda interested in a 2017 Altima SV but I want to know what kind of reliability issues they have, or if they're for the most part good to go.
>>
>>17168526
That picture gave me cancer...who would do such a thing.
>>
File: mk6-gti.jpg (342KB, 1024x679px) Image search: [Google]
mk6-gti.jpg
342KB, 1024x679px
$15k USD budget, tell me what I should buy instead of pic related. Just need a fun, quick DD to toot around in now that I'm out of college. I will have to move some shit around, so a small coupe doesn't make sense.
>>
>>17168780
then get a small hatchback like the one in your picture
>>
>>17168780
get a '15 or 16 used fit for 10-12k max
>>
Miata for 3k, worth the buy?
Currently n/a but comes with a turbo kit.
>>
File: IMAG0044.jpg (3MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0044.jpg
3MB, 4000x3000px
If I want to revert back to stock headlights from shitty ricer headlights, should I see if I can nab a clean OEM pair from ebay or otherwise or get a brand new set from a dedicated retailer?

Specifically asking about my shitty fox body and its lights. I want to go back to the regular 3 piece lights but I'm not sure if I should try and find some original lights or buy a brand new stock-alike pair from a place like LMR or something.

Its probably a better choice to buy a new "original" set than get an actual original light, but I don't know what kind of prices I would be paying for an original pair.
>>
>>17148573
Can't really speak to the reliability of these things, in fact I don't really know anything about them at all, but I see one around Berkeley occasionally and I want one so bad. They are such a cool looking little truck.
>>
>>17169008
my brother used to have a rabbit and the raspberry farm I worked at in the summer had one of these trucks. they bought it new in the 80s . probably why I like it so much
>>
>>17155091
Some cars naturally have a more whiny sound in the first couple of gears. It's because the gear teeth have a straighter cut.

It's like, you know how when you are in reverse and it's a really noisy whirring sound? That's because it's a dog-tooth straight cut gear. Straight-cut gears are tougher and more reliable over time, but the tradeoff is that they're clunky and loud. Race cars usually have all straight cut gears, and normal cars have straight cut reverse gears because it doesn't matter.

Helical cut gears have angled teeth that engage gradually and smoothy, rather than clattering against each other. These are not as tough and require synchronizers, but you can make them shift smoothly and they're very quiet, so they're generally used for all of the forward gears in consumer cars.

What you're probably hearing is the first and second gear in your car are obviously helical cut gears, but they have a slightly straighter cut. It means that they'll be more durable, which helps because they're often the most stressed gears; they are engaged the most and deal with the highest amount of torque. Of course you generally spend very little time in first and second, so it doesn't really matter that they're a little louder.
>>
Sorry I've got a bunch of questions.
Car is a 1989 Mustang like >>17168968

1. My car has some intermittent electrical issues. The turn signals and AC don't work unless you position the ignition a certain way, which leads me to believe one of the wires is fucked and needs replaced. What part should I replace, the whole ignition cylinder or is there something I'm missing?

2. Sometimes when first starting the car and pulling out of my driveway while reversing, the whole front of the car makes a very loud clunk, and I believe I've seen the side of the car jump once too. What could be the problem? It also creaks when turning, which may be related. I replaced the sway bar links and tie rods, so I don't think it would be those but I could be wrong.

3. The handbrake is basically useless. If I park the car on a hill and pull the handbrake up the car still rolls slowly downhill. Is there a quick and dirty way to adjust the parking brake like reversing and ripping the brake? If not, how can I get the parking brake to not be literally useless?
>>
File: [sweating profusely.jpg (53KB, 500x509px) Image search: [Google]
[sweating profusely.jpg
53KB, 500x509px
TL;DR wat is most gud method to get old glue+foam out of kar (fiberglass/cardboard) ceiling?

I took it out and did away with almost all of the old foam+glue stuff, and now all that's left is some vile substance that clings on like you wouldn't believe. The thing actually seeps into the pores of the resin that bonds the fibers together, making it practically impossible to have a clean surface

Never done anything like this, and poking around on the web gives me the general advice of going with brushes of several types, but the fiberglass comes off very easily, the strands aren't held in very strongly by the bonding agent

Now, I assume I need to leave it sparkly and shiny, and remove the glue from even the pores in the resin. Is that overkill?
If in fact I have to remove it all, how can I do it most effectively? It's taking forever with a scraper, and the material is wimpy/fragile enough that scraping it all off makes me squirm. I rubbed some alcohol I had laying around on two tiny spots, and it worked wonders, but I'm worried about it attacking the piece beyond recovery/making it fragile

Any input on this?

Pic tangentially related
>>
>>17166724
Pls respond
>>
>>17169307
No, it's a bottle of Fuel system cleaner.
>>
are lexus as reliable as toyota?
>>
>>17169549
Lexus is literally upscale toyota
>>
File: 1472518191127.jpg (65KB, 480x411px) Image search: [Google]
1472518191127.jpg
65KB, 480x411px
>drive 350Z on shitty all seasons
>getting out handled by SN95 Mustang GT's and 4th Gen Camaro's
what are the current meme tires I can daily drive on?
>>
>>17169169
I'd replace the whole cylinder and safe yourself the trouble. Simple afternoon fix.

Does it clunk when something happens like the wheels dropping down into a small dip? Look around the bushings for shiny metal on metal contact. maybe your suspension needs to be tightened a bit at the top or is it a warmth issue? Does it happen backing up in like a parking lot or just or driveway? what about other peoples driveways?

Follow the cable to the rear wheels and tighten it up a bit. ez fix, you can do most of this stuff in an afternoon. Just get under the car.
>>
>>17169844
Toyo or Falkens are pretty nice and wont break the bank. Only the highest models are recommended by consumer reports though, I drive on toyo extensa HP tires and I'm pretty happy with them and they only cost me like 300$
>>
>>17169844
Nitto N555 is a nice budget tire.

But even good tires go do so much on a worn out suspension.
>>
>>17168968
I would go with oem. or if the OEM vendor still sells the stock units.

The Original vendor my 540i's xenon's is hella, and you can still order the set from them. They were 700 a piece so that would at least be your upper limit.
>>
>>17168584
Which ones? the Auxillary fans that cool the dryer outside the cabin. or the Blower inside the car?
>>
>>17168609
Avoid the CVT equipped models.
>>
>>17168540
Both of the cars probably have equal value, however is the boxster manual or automatic?
>>
How much abuse can a clutch take? Like I slipped it at close to 4000rpm to get going on a steep hill twice in two days, should I just kms? It was only for 1 second each time and i didn't smell burning clutch..
>>
>>17170145
Depends on the age of the clutch.

I've over heated clutches towing and still had no problem 20k miles afterwards, however that clutch was maybe less than 10k miles at the time.
>>
File: DSC_0482.jpg (4MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0482.jpg
4MB, 3840x2160px
>>17142464
We've got a car that's been sitting for almost 10 years due to a bad fuel pump and not having time to fix it, and well I've got time.
It's a 1981 280zx that's sitting on dirt, and to get to the fuel pump, It needs to be jacked up, and as far as I can tell from a Haynes book, the pump is on the outside of the tank and can be replaced without dropping the tank.
>Are there safe ways to jack a car like this up on dirt?
I know a garage would be ideal, but ours is full and local ones are expensive + the price of towing/hauling the thing.
Asides from the pump, I know it needs pretty much new everything rubber under the hood, fluids, rear struts, and a battery.
>>
>>17170172
I bought it used with 105k miles. Have no idea when the clutch was last replaced..
>>
>>17170320
120-140k, is the average lifespan of even well taken care of clutch.

And even then its not the clutch or flywheel itself, its the pilot and throw out bearings.
>>
I need a good long distance driving car
Needs to be comfortable, reliable low fuel consumption blah blah you know what I mean
Just got a job making deliverers of a few kg's of some stuff. Need to drive 800km for every trip
Thinking about getting an E46 330D because it looks presentable but doesnt stand out
>>
>>17170093
The blower
>>
>>17170145
clutch is fine. it's meant to be slipped and is designed to deal with a certain amount of slippage. If you were abusively launch from 4k over and over, your clutch won't last long. But a few high rpm slips to get up a hill is no big deal. Might i suggest using the hand brake if you need 4k rpms to get moving up a hill?
>>
>>17170184
put a plank under the jack to spread the weight
>>
>>17170184
If it's been sitting for 10 years, the fuel pump is the least of your problems. All that old oil sitting there, same with the coolant. You may have to tear to block apart and clean it up. Alternatively, you could put fresh everything in the car, check all the seals and maybe turn the engine over by hand a few times before removing the fuel pump fuse and use the starter to get some fluids moving before you actually turn it on. Put the jackstands on some solid wood and you should be fine as long as the ground isnt muddy or sinking.
>>
>>17170387
My friend got a diesel jetta 2015 and he went to colorado and back on less than 150$ Look into a efficient diesel car maybe?
>>
>>17168968
I would save yourself a couple 10's of dollars, maybe over 100$ with going with stock like aftermarket. I would go OEM if oem comes in glass and the only aftermarkets are plastic.
>>
>>17170448
>2015
something that new is a bit out of my price range
in europe btw so everything is about double the price
>>
>>17157449
60k is the most I would consider unless you're desperate as fuck and need a car ASAP then I'd consider up to 130k depending on the car
>>
>>17158516
Rangers are great.
>>
>>17158516
Also Tacomas are generally reliable, just watch the rust and keep an eye on the parts that they've recalled
>>
>>17170443
That's where the whole "fluids" and "everything rubber under the hood" comes from.
At least nothing's seized or stiff, diff spins smoothly, brakes hold, etc.
>>
>>17170392
You'll need to check the relay, and switch first but, I have some bad news if its the blower itself.
>>
how good would a VW golf be for a 5'3" short fag?
>>
>>17170892
go for it
>>
>>17168526
Yes, I mean the stuff in the radiator - thank you for the heads up!
>>
>>17170989
My brother had a 83 rabbit and then a 98 golf GTI. He's 6 2 and around 250 Ibs. He never complained about the size, he said it was just fine. His seat could adjust heighth too though. I'm not sure if they got smaller in later years but since he's almost back foot taller than you, it's probably fine
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 49

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.