[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Keep or sell car?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (16KB, 287x176px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 287x176px
Can any car guys help me out? I bought an impala that has cost way too much already and only needs more repairs. I can't decide to sell it or continue to pour money in. It has a private sale value of around 4-5k, and a trade-in value of 3-4k. I bought it for 4k even, tax dealer fees and all, and have since put in 2k worth of repairs and maintenance. After having it inspected it still needs about 2k more in work. It's a 2007 3.9l with just over 68k on it, used to be a security car so it has lots of idle time on it. So if I sell it I eat 2k or so. If I keep it I will have put double it's value into it, but might be able to drive it for another 130k if it makes it to 200k. Then again it's engine/trans could blow tomorrow from all the idling. And even if it does last, it's 8k+ for a car that has meh specs and is 10 years old. Just looking for a new perspective on the situation, can't decide to go for the long haul, or to sell it and buy a piece of shit until I can afford an expensive car or take my chances putting all my money into another used car.
>>
>>17133057

It really depends on you...I'm sort of in a similar situation, where I have a 2005 Silverado that I need to finish up. However I bought it private, I'm doing all the work, the milage is low 212k, and I only payed $2000, so for me it's a no brainer...

I will keep on with the project...you on the other hand, depends on what you can do yourself, your resources (cash monies and shit you need to get the work done)...

What needs to be done thats going to cost $2k more in work?
>>
I know next to nothing about cars and have just very basic tools, so unless it involves duct tape I can't fix much. It needs an evaporative purge solenoid, HVAAC actuator for the heat to switch to AC, tire pressure sensor, both front brake roters, has holes in the mufflers of both tail pipes, needs a new power steering rack and pinion, and has a very minor seepage of the rear seal. Also has a few engine issues and noises that need more time and money to investigate than I have at the moment.
>>
>>17133401
Buy some tools. Learn to wrench. Purge valve should be easy. Hvac might might be easy but also might not. Brake rotors are easy. Exhaust should be easy. The oil leak might be the valve cover gasket. Buy 100-300 bucks in tools and buy parts online. It's time to become a man.
>>
>>17133451
How easy is it to mess up and have no brakes on the expressway?
>>
>>17133401
Don't take financial advice from /o/, but none of that really sounds that hard. Dump another $500 into it, rent the tools that you don't feel like buying, and just try doing some of it by yourself. Once you start fixing some small stuff, like that solenoid, you kind of realize that car problems are really not that hard to fix as long as you're methodical.

It's easy for a lot of us to say that because we've done stuff like that, but we were all once in that terrifying place where we were faced with a problem, and we didn't even know what information we didn't know. Once you figure out what you need to learn, you're seriously halfway there.

If you have a friend who's mechanically minded, see if you can get them to at least hang out with you while you try to do some of the work. Having someone to keep you on your toes and keep you level headed is valuable.

The only used cars out there that don't need work are the ones that you buy from a used car dealer, and damn you pay for it.

Just take your time. Do your research. One step at a time. If you like youtube, look at the channel ChrisFix. It's a dude who fixes stuff like this in his driveway and documents it. Watch 10 or 15 of those videos and if you're still nervous, dump the car and buy a Honda.

Do not take financial advice from 4chan. Don't.
>>
>>17133483
You'd have to fuck up real bad.

https://youtu.be/6RQ9UabOIPg
>>
Also, a really good way to just get your feet wet with no pressure is to go to a junkyard and just fuck with shit. Take stuff apart and see if you can get it back together, or take stuff apart just to see what's going on. See if you can reason through the mechanics that are going on. Most junkyards are like a $5 entry fee, and you bring your own tools.
>>
>>17133613
Hmm, that actually sounds like a really good idea. It's not like there's a lack of impalas out there either, so I might be able to practice on the exact same model and year.
>>
>>17133702
Bring a socket set with an extension, some wrenches (yes you need both), some screwdrivers, something to pry shit with, and some channel lock pliers. With that, you can pull pretty much any part in the yard.

row52.com has a crapload of junkyard inventories in a big database. Might help you find what you need.

Worst case, it's kind of fun.
>>
>>17133542
>used cars from dealers have no problems
Please stop posting
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.