[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Drove 1994 Mustang with one cylinder not firing, wtf

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 78840685.jpg (192KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
78840685.jpg
192KB, 1024x768px
I just bought a cheap 1994 Mustang V6 for only $450. Seller sold it cheap because the engine was shaking bad and needed a new battery, seller said it needed a new harmonic balancer and motor mounts because the engine was shaking bad. So I got a new battery and drove it 20 miles home. For the first 15 miles on the freeway it ran without any check engine light and while it was still shaking, it wasn't enough to affect driving too badly. But after 15 miles the check engine light suddenly came on but I was still able to get it back home.

Well when I hooked up the OBD scanner it turned out cylinder 2 wasn't firing at all. Turns out the ignition coil pack was fucked and wasn't getting any spark at all to the spark plug at cylinder 2! So I got a new ignition coil pack and now the car is running a lot smoother.

Here's what I don't get though - how the hell did it run for 15 miles with only 5 cylinders instead of 6 without giving me a check engine light? The CEL only popped up while I was going 60 on the freeway and I didn't notice any changes. And should I be worried it ran that far with one cylinder not firing? What else should I do to make sure this car won't break down?
>>
>>17127285
My dad went whole season on his boat with brand new mercruiser working on 6 cylinders because he fucked up coil placement. Next season he put them where they should have been and it worked like a charm.
>>
i had this exact problem with my 04
ran like a champ for the rest of time i had it
car also came with 3 different tires
>>
>>17127285
If the car does not have knock sensors odds are it won't pick up a misfire until a while after when the post cat O2 sensors get consistent bad readings.
>>
>>17127285
Because the douche you bought it from cleared the codes. It sometimes takes a few miles or even a couple drive cycles for a cel to show.
>>
>>17127285
>And should I be worried it ran that far with one cylinder not firing?
nop
dad drove his old commodore home with 5/6 ign leads because one just ripped in half and that car still ran fine
>>
>>17127344
Where do we go to school to learn this stuff?
>>
>>17127409
My money is on this winning post. OP should be glad is was just an ignition coil pack. Not really bad to fix
>>
>>17127344
Not true. Many cars use the crank sensor to determine misfires. If the computer sees one cylinder slowing down the crank speed it will throw a misfire code.
>>
>>17127434
work in a shop with great mechanics or go to community college and get your ASE.
>>
File: 1493229443528.jpg (83KB, 640x817px) Image search: [Google]
1493229443528.jpg
83KB, 640x817px
If you put in a new battery after waiting a few mins it clears the codes of most fords they would not show back up for a while
>>
Good for you! Did the CarFax show how many crowds were run over?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.