[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Need advice Moving to the san fran area in August Currently

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: 330i.png (340KB, 538x441px) Image search: [Google]
330i.png
340KB, 538x441px
Need advice

Moving to the san fran area in August
Currently looking for a car to buy.
Moving from Sweden so my budget is around 6k for a car.

What can I get for that amount? Mostly looking for coupes but thinking about a convertible, is that a smart choice? Thinking about the winter months.

Current car BMW 330i -06
>>
>>17124872
3k Civic with a couple of simple mods.
>>
>>17124876
Not a fan of Hondas
>>
>>17124872
>Moving from Sweden
German cars are a totally different ownership proposition in the States than they are here in Europe. Expensive parts, and expensive labour.

Hopefully a burger will be along shortly to recommend something dirt cheap with a massive V8 and very cheap parts
>>
>>17124919
>tfw a rusted to shit foxbody stang is 5 grand over here
>while a pristine V12 BMW E32 750 with low kilometres is 2 grand
I just don't understand.
>>
>>17124919
>a burger will be along shortly to recommend something dirt cheap with a massive V8 and very cheap parts
Literally any 4th gen Mustang or Camaro then. Might be enough freedums to uncuck OP. Since he's both Swedish and going to San Fran, I can only assume the worst.
>>
>>17124931
It is madness, American imports go for a huge premium here in bongland and older German cars are cheap as fuck. I have run quite a few on a shoestring budget and never had any problems, but some of the stories you read about American prices for German parts are insane. Old 6cyl+ petrol german cars are buttons here as everyone wants a 4 pot diesel
>>
Depending on where you are moving, snow may or may not be a problem. If it is, don't even get a coupe.

If the area you live in has snow, get something with All Wheel Drive like a Subaru WRX, Chrysler 300, or Dodge Charger. I know they're not as exciting as say, a Corvette, but they are also practical and you won't want to kill yourself in the winter like I did with my Mustang.

Judging buy how you said San Francisco, you should be fine though.

If you live further down South, where snow isn't a major concern, then your options are less limited. AS has been stated in this thread, a German car for that much is not a great idea because in America they are expensive.

I would advise to you that you buy American because they are easier to fix (i know from experience trust me) and they are cheaper to buy/own.

For a lot of fun, consider the Mustang, or a G35 coupe, but if you do get a Stang get a GT and not a V6.

Also consider a Cadillac CTS, those are kind of like your BMW but they are faster I believe and you can get a really good one for that price. I know cuz I have one myself.

If you want something really fun you could potentially even go for a miata or MR2 or a corvette or even a Z4, but keep in mind those are roadsters and aren't too practical. But hey, that might be your style.

IF you don't like Hondas, (I personally can't stand them) then the Acura TL is probably not great for you.

All in all, that's probably almost all the coupes I can think of that you can get as a daily driver. Now I need to tell you what NOT to get.

Honda Civic coupe (beat by teens till its a riced out shitbox)

Mitsubishi Eclipse or Evo (pieces of shit from the start and riced out by teens even more)

Any dodge or Chrysler besides the charger and 300 because they are shit

Toyota Supra. They are good cars but trying to buy one for 6k is a very bad idea.

Mazda 3, they just get destroyed by teenagers and good luck finding a good one.
>>
A E 8 6
E
>>
>moving from Swedenstan
>to fucking gaybay

Miata for sure
>>
>>17124934
Im moving to SF jsut for studies, I know its liberal as fuck overthere but I manage to get along with most people even with those fruits.

>>17124986
Thanks for all the advice and all, G35 is sometyhing Ive looked in to a lot, they look good and from what Ive heard are nice to drive.
If Im ever to buy a stang I would never go with anything else than a v8, otherwise you might just buy another car to dont embaress yourself.
>>
also, any recommendations for sites to browse in regard of car sales with most to offer?
>>
>>17124872
Can you not take your car with you?

Your 330i would be better than anything you could afford on such a budget.
>>
>>17125351
Since it sells for $11k over here so no, thats just a loss since the shipping costs and all

And from what ive seen so far while browing sites they go for around 6-8k over there
>>
>>17124872
3k civic. Doesn't matter if you're not a fan of Hondas. Get one anyway.
>>
>>17125379
Dont want the ricer rep since most of them are riced out so naah
>>
>>17125397
Get a clean stock one. No one will think you're a ricer.
>>
>>17125401
I will whenever I walk out of the car
>>
>>17125370
Then yeah, get a cheap civic or something.

If you don't mind being carless for a short while it takes to look there's always craigslist.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/search/sfc/cta

There's also a few other car websites you can look through that generally serve as aggregates for various car dealerships if that's more your speed like carfax, carsforsale, autotrader and so on.
>>
>>17125426
ty

How can I just from checking the ads get a feeling if somethings fishy/fake?
>>
>>17125432
A lack of pictures, if they don't do a reasonable job photographing the car all the way around, if it's over/under priced wildly. There are likely far more signs but I'm not terribly savvy as I've never gone to buy a used car through CL myself.

Some advice some people would give you is to not get too overly attached to one specific car ad, and to remember the golden rule of if it's too good to be true it probably is. At the end of the day if you can schedule a test drive and the person selling is comfortable with you looking under the hood and stuff, cool. If not, you'd probably be best avoiding it.
>>
>>17125459
How are Japanese parts? Cheap as american or like middleground between euro and us?
>>
also Im not much for automatics, mostly driven manual all my life but I have this preasumption that anything automatic with less than 5 gears is shit. Is this totally wrong by me for thinking so or is it?
>>
>>17125498
That depends on the car in question. Your Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic is far more numerous in the states and are generally seen as 'appliance' cars, making their parts much more common and cheaper as well. If you buy a higher 'tier' of car like a Lexus then you may be paying a bit more simply for the brand--I have to imagine it's somewhat similar in Europe where a Volvo may be cheaper to buy parts for than a BMW simply because of the brand, even if both are fairly cheap in and of themselves due to commonality.

>>17125523
Can't say. I've done auto all my life. Though it should be more a matter of opinion than anything. And if you don't like it when test driving you don't need to buy it. Just try not to get terribly upset about the rarity of manuals in the states. Generally only performance/sporty cars that 'should' be manuals [WRX, Miata, Mustang, etc.] are the ones that exist in any capacity in the states and there will still be autos to be picked around.
>>
Crown victoria
>>
>>17125323
SF isn't even that bad these days, it's mostly investment bankers and CompSci people now.
>>
I was just in SF. If you are parking on the street, prepare to have your windows smashed and bumpers crushed.
>>
File: IMG_20161128_122419.jpg (2MB, 2676x1518px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161128_122419.jpg
2MB, 2676x1518px
>>17124986
>snow may or may not be a problem. If it is, don't even get a coupe.
t. someone i cannot disagree with more.
get snow tires. i fucking dailied an 03 miata in the winter in boston with blizzaks and it was the best winter daily i've ever driven. traction when you want it, fun skids when you don't, the only difference being a lower gear and more throttle. it was so fucking awesome
>>
>>17124872
Dont come to the bay area. Theres way to many faggots here already.
Stay out.
>>
>>17125617
wrong

its got a huge homeless problem and faggotry is still rampant in the streets
>>
>>17124872
you do not need a car in san fran area

I wouldn't even bother. when I do go up there for any length of time I just rent or use a service for the specific need. SUV for local camping or going to the mountains, a convertible for a coastal drive.

But seriously, why the fuck would you want this kind of drama?
>buy a car
>insurance
>licensing, taxes, etc.
>maint/mods
>parking rent $$$

Wait until you've been here a while before you jump in on the car meme. If you plan to be here for more than a year you can also consider the upcoming restrictions on gas cars coming to SFO.

good luck, sved
>>
>>17126381
oh shit I forgot to mention that by using the same rental agency you get points towards free shit while also getting points on the credit card that also, incidentally, covers the insurance for the car as well.

Basically pays for itself.
>>
>>17124872
>san fran area
Get 1975 or earlier or the local smog referee will rape you then turn you out to all of his friends.
>>
>>17126381
Thanks for the input but I have one reason, I love driving, its the best thing I know of so I pretty much need a car.
>>
>>17124931
>pristine E32 V12 with low miles for 2k
I wish. Those still cost like 10 grand (or maybe again?) here in Switzerland.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.