[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone red pill me on the infamous Ford 7.3? Is it just

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 4

File: EBayRegCvr.jpg (197KB, 576x379px) Image search: [Google]
EBayRegCvr.jpg
197KB, 576x379px
Can someone red pill me on the infamous Ford 7.3? Is it just popular because of its massive displacement and muh diesel, or are there actual tangible characteristics that make it a good engine?
>>
>>17123926
I have a 7.3 Treat it right and she'll treat you right
>>
I had one for a month when my cousin moved to DR. It was the greatest thing for an 18 year old who just got his license. It was the 5 speed to so that just made it better. Beat the shit out of it, my uncle took it, sold it and it blew up the day after. Craigslist dude tried to get his money back but that wasn't happening. I wish I could get another. Plenty of power and fun. That's about as far as my experience goes.
>>
>>17123926
Its a damn good engine. About the only thing wrong with it is everything else Ford puts in an F-series pick up. As long as you keep it oiled. That truck will never fail you. I have been driving an F250 as my daily since 2014 and the only thing I regret is 12.8 MPG lmao. Fucking hell are they distinct sounding. Apparently Ford still makes the engine but just doesn't put it in trucks. I wonder if you could fit one in a 2017 250...
>>
>>17123926
Best pickup diesel ever. Lots of power and they won't die with basic maintenance and non retarded driving.
The zf manuals they used to offer with those trucks were damn legit too.
>>
File: CUMMINSLOGO1[1].jpg (22KB, 696x348px) Image search: [Google]
CUMMINSLOGO1[1].jpg
22KB, 696x348px
>found on road dead
>>
>>17123926
They're reliable as fuck. They lack any sort of emissions controls like EGR or DPF/DOC or Urea injection.

The only downside is how loud they are it honestly if that's a downside for you, you're a pussy.

>>17125949
A Ram with a Cummins in it is like a 24k gold bar wrapped in 50 layers of East Indian curry shit that's been sitting out in the heat for a month
>>
Yeah, it's reliable as fugg.

They are slow. They don't take to power adders very well compared to other diesels around that same era.

They tow great, they sound decent, they get okay mileage, they are reliable, maintenance isn't crazy expensive.
>>
>>17123926
Good for their time but inferior by today's standards. Get a DuraMax if you want something similar to the 7.3
>>
>>17123926
Simply bulletproof.
>>
>>17123926
It's pretty OK. Most of the fanboy shit is because it's the only semi powerful diesel pre-emissions that was on a Ford. The transmissions on the 7.3s were pretty awful though. The 6.0 is actually a LOT better if you don't modify it and do some simple stuff like coolant filter. If you want to modify it an 06/07 6.0 is actually fucking amazing, but like any vehicle don't expect it to last if you go for a full brotruck tune.
>>
>>17123926
Comparatively simple engine that used the classic undertuned+big displacement formula to make adequate power without going over 3k (redline is ~3.3). Naturally, they last quite a while with just basic maintenance, and I think they sound really good too. I'll probably keep mine forever, just put it in a shed somewhere while everyone drives electric cars. It would make a cool classic a couple decades down the road.
>>
>>17125477
Fellow 7.3 owner, 14 mpg highway. I feel ya.
>>
>>17127291
This anon knows what's up, a powerstroke 7.3 is a great engine, but a bullet proofed 6.blow will drag it around all day. Of course a modern 6.7 will drag both of them around all day. It's absolutely ridiculous the power bone stock modern diesels in 3/4-1 tons are making. We've come a long way from 6.9 IDI's
>>
It's a dumb school bus engine from the 1990s that they stuck in a pickup truck. It's an engine from a time when diesel trucks were the slow ones and gas engine trucks were the faster ones. The original ford 7.3 IDI was a slow and steady workhorse that was weak as shit. Then they turbocharged it, and it made literally 5 hp more than before. It only ever started to get ok when it was redesigned into the powerstroke 7.3 in the mid 90s.

It's just outdated engine technology. They're designed to be long lasting and reliable and nothing else. Anyone who puts money in the year 2017 into a 7.3 besides repair and maintenance is an idiot.

One more thing, never listen to a 7.3 owner. They're all the same. Blah blah blah "underrated from factory" "power potential" "1 million miles easily" "nothing but a tune and injectors"
>>
my dad has a 94 or so 7.3 powerstroke that he loves more than me. he can go for hours about the pressure oil system driving the fuel. he even bought a new ford diesel and still drives the old one.
>>
File: IMG_1067.png (618KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1067.png
618KB, 750x1334px
>>17125477
>12.8 MPG lmao.

>>17127906
>14 mpg highway

What are y'all doing?
>>
>>17123926
They're okay. They have a reliability meme status that they don't live up to solely because the 6.0 that followed was such shit. Lots of people like to claim they're bare bones simple like the Cummins but it's far from the truth.

Cummins B series are the only cave man diesels worth the hype imo.

Rather have Duramax or 6.7L than any powerstroke, Detroit, or IDI out there though.

I personally have a 1st gen Cummins and it's by far my favorite as far as old "toy" trucks go and that's what OBS Fords are despite the work truck memeing.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.